Going to the stadium experience v.s. Watching at home with friends/family experience?

Preferred Gameday Experience  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Going to the stadium experience v.s. Watching at Home experience

• Stadium
    • Home

I can’t really answer, since my perfect season is a blend. I don’t know if one is “better” than the other, but they are certainly different. In a perfect world, I’d love to get to one home game (preferably the opener) and travel to one road game. I don’t live in WNY any more, so I’m not sure where I’d stand on having seasons. I think the 8-10 games would probably be more than I’d want.

But then, I’m an old fart....  If I had to choose every game at the stadium, or every game on the couch, I’d probably pick the couch. That makes me a little sad. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can’t really answer, since my perfect season is a blend. I don’t know if one is “better” than the other, but they are certainly different. In a perfect world, I’d love to get to one home game (preferably the opener) and travel to one road game. I don’t live in WNY any more, so I’m not sure where I’d stand on having seasons. I think the 8-10 games would probably be more than I’d want.

But then, I’m an old fart....  If I had to choose every game at the stadium, or every game on the couch, I’d probably pick the couch. That makes me a little sad. 

Good answer.  After I made the poll I realized I couldn't pick one over the other either because I also like both experiences.  In my 20's it was definitely going to the stadium but in my 30's now there are a TON of things I appreciate about the at home experience.  I mean going to the stadium is always an awesome experience but there are so many little things that factor into it as you get older(all the additional expenses, parking, tailgating supplies, gas, concessions, etc.) the fact that it eats up your whole day, feeling like dog ***** at work on Monday, missing out on a lot of the action because you got stuck in a 20 minute bathroom line, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The thread about season ticket renewal gave me the idea to start a debate about which experience you like better and why.  There are pro's and con's to both but just curious to see where the majority on here stand...

I vote neither. I prefer my bar but physically driving every weekend to it has been beyond my range.

• Like (+1) 1

It depends entirely on the game, what’s at stake, and who I’d be watching it with. This season and countless recent seasons I’d prefer to be at a bar or at the game because they’ve rarely been meaningful games and I don’t mind missing some of the details for the camaraderie. In the heat of a push to get into the playoffs or during an actual playoff run I’d rather be at home either by myself or with a couple friends who are similarly invested in the game and get similarly ornery with interruptions. 

Plusses for staying home:

Large screen HD tv's are a beautiful thing.  Having my own clean bathroom 30 feet away is great for us beer drinkers.

DVR allows for rewinding and looking at plays instead of waiting for replays.

No traffic, far cheaper, food is usually better at my house, drink of choice, family get together excuse, everyone at my house is positive about the players and team so no annoying complainers in your ear which can ruin it for me.

Plusses for seeing game:

Tailgating, walking in and seeing the field is always awesome, crowd energy, being able to watch all 22 players, big play madness that ensues in the stands, walking out after a win with tens of thousands of pumped fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At home is better in general, but going to a game or two each year is fun. My wife and I took our five kids ages 18-9 to the Detroit game with another family and their kids and it was a lot of fun, it was a muddy mess but fun all the same!

but at home there is less worries!!!

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Don't be sad!  When you're home, You are #1 in the "P" line, and you can eat and drink all you want because there is no DUI rule for couches.

• Like (+1) 1

For me the feeling of being at the game closely replicates the experience/feeling of well being of actually playing/competing in games.

Playing teams sports growing up.....during the game I never worried the implications of things like being down on the scoreboard early or bad calls etc..........you are living in the moment.

And that's the way the players actually feel.........they are in the moment........they might be focused on their jobs but they aren't filled with worry and imagining scenarios that some announcers are laying out as part of the storyline of the tv show that the game is in broadcast form.

On tv it's just a show that's all about finding out whether you won or not. 

If they lose it feels like a complete waste of time...........which is why I often do not watch the road games live anymore.   

Some people are so used to the whole TV show aspect of watching things that they struggle without those narratives provided.......going to the game is like a free-form experience and leaves them lacking.

I think that is a big part of the allure of football on tv for some people.......it draws in people who enjoy the real life drama more than the competition........which is often a different type of viewer.     IMO that's why sometimes people who don't really like the sport itself get so into it.......or why sometimes wives who couldn't care less get excited about watching the games on tv.

The tailgate is actually the best part of the entire experience of being a Bills fan............. but even the game itself easily surpasses the "tv" version.

• Like (+1) 4

^^^^ I am with @BADOLBILZ ..100% the in-stadium experience is where I want to be..home and away. Home games are like Thanksgiving to me..get a whole day to spend with family and friends, and then the game experience...just can't be beat in my mind. 

I have gone to enough games i never miss anything in line for the bathroom or beer...just have to know when to go and how to watch a play or two from the vestibule . 

And i am telling ya right now, the food is awesome in a tailgate..both pre and post.

I like it so much I drive 9 hours each way at least 5-6 every year to be in the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Had an amazing time this past season.

Love going to games. The atmosphere this year was fantastic, met a ton of cool people outside an inside the stadium.  Only had a few issues this year.  First, the season ticket holder in front of us had an attitude this year, irritating but no big deal.  Second incident was a dude pretending to be hit by my car after the last game and not letting up, wasn’t funny.  Otherwise, met a ton of great people, ate some great food and drank some awesome beers.

As far as the game?  Sit 300’s and feel we see the action just fine, and get to see plays develop.  Sit where there is about 50/50 season tickets.  Didn’t have an issue with the different fans each game, no fights/problems.  Biggest issue?  Missing things like injuries and expalanations about penalties, etc.  Could just have a radio to fix that. 

Absolutley will I’ll keep my season.  Kind of a grind with the December games past few years, but who cares.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s being at the game and it’s not close. It requires a much bigger commitment but the experience isn’t even close. The question is really “would you rather commit an entire day (or weekend for road games) to a game or not?” Experiencing the game and the ancillary activities has to be done at the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The tailgate is actually the best part of the entire experience of being a Bills fan............. but even the game itself easily surpasses the "tv" version.

By far. Even when the Bills are awful, Bills fans are great. Imo Bills Fans, as a group, are some of the most loyal and the funniest people I have ever been around.

• Like (+1) 3

I very much prefer to be at the stadium.  The tailgating is great; it's a reason to reconnect with friends from afar.  The game experience is much better, to me, in person.

However, it's not worth the price (again, to me) to do it any more than a couple times/year.

Stadium experience is much better than sitting in front of a tube. Not to mention, you have the tube experience 365 days a year, the stadium only 10 days a year. Variety of experiences has value.

As always, a poll doesn't allow the nuances needed to answer a question.  Do you approve of Sean McDermott? yes/no  Only an idiot would vote no.  Watching at home vs at the game? yes/no Only an idiot would say at home.  In ideal circumstances, you would go to the game with friends/family. It would be a beautiful day and all fans would treat each other respectfully.  Who wouldn't vote yes to that? Only an idiot.

I love the game day experience. Tailgating cannot be beat. The vibe inside the stadium is tremendous to be a part of. 

Some fans are idiots. The weather sucks. The team sucks.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

As always, a poll doesn't allow the nuances needed to answer a question.  Do you approve of Sean McDermott? yes/no  Only an idiot would vote no.  Watching at home vs at the game? yes/no Only an idiot would say at home.  In ideal circumstances, you would go to the game with friends/family. It would be a beautiful day and all fans would treat each other respectfully.  Who wouldn't vote yes to that? Only an idiot.

I love the game day experience. Tailgating cannot be beat. The vibe inside the stadium is tremendous to be a part of. 

Some fans are idiots. The weather sucks. The team sucks.

no, you are free to carry on about your emotions, like you did

You would think 40 years of tailgating would lose its novelty...it hasn't. Will admit I don't look as forward to the December games as much as in the past, but that might be due more to not being relevant in December than to the weather. Hopefully I'll figure out which next year!

• Like (+1) 2

I can't get to enough games to unequivocally state that I much prefer the stadium experience. I watch 15/16 games a year from the comfort of my home, but that 1 game is the one I look forward to most. Minneapolis this year, Nashville next. Nothing gets me as excited for football as joining my fellow Bills fans and singing the shout song at the top of my longs in unison with them.

• Like (+1) 1

this depends on Location Location Location 

If I lived in WNY, then friends and family at the game would be great.   (most times)

Going to a Bills "away game" in the area I live in....  If the Bills win it's great.  If they lose and badly then you have the drunken fools of the local team making the experience that much worse. 

Nothing beats being at the stadium, especially for the home opener and meaningful games later in the season.  Sharing food and drinks and games with neighboring groups even if they're not wearing their colors because I like seeing people from outside our area get a taste of what makes our experience so special.  

A relative choice 'in the middle' for us out-of-towners is going to the local Bills Backers bar - getting to see old friends and make new ones, cheering in unison with dozens if not hundreds of other Bills fans, and spilling out into the streets of downtown Denver after a big win (or timely Andy Dalton throw) makes for some of my best Bills memories.  

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Don't be sad!  When you're home, You are #1 in the "P" line, and you can eat and drink all you want because there is no DUI rule for couches.

Actually I had to set a new DUI rule for my couch ever since my brother fell asleep with a beer in his hand (during a later game) and it landed on my dog, which then spilled onto my open laptop keyboard.

I make him walk the line and touch his nose every so often now, in accordance with the posted DUI rules on my fridge....

Way better in stadium.

when you get older like I am you tend to stay at home, away from the party atmosphere and elements.

You see plays develop you see players getting open, you see offensive and defensive structure.

Theres much more in stadium than on screen. 

The crowd noise is a factor as well.

Had season tickets for decades, I loved it.

If we ever build a dome stadium I’ll be back.

Edited by dlonce

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Actually I had to set a new DUI rule for my couch ever since my brother fell asleep with a beer in his hand (during a later game) and it landed on my dog, which then spilled onto my open laptop keyboard.

I make him walk the line and touch his nose every so often now, in accordance with the posted DUI rules on my fridge....

Any video of this?  Could be worth $$.