Bills sign Derek Anderson to extension

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Jumping in a few pages late here...but I'm not sure that I understand this 'signing' at all. While I liked locking Barkley in for a few years,  Andersen is just an unnecessary distraction really.  The team doesn't need two veterans to back up their 'Rookie' project...do they?  Seems to also send an odd message to Barkley.  It's not a big deal either way, but I'm not sure why this signing was the first thing they needed to do following the end of the season.

Barkley has nothing to worry about, DA will mentor him as needed as well. DA will only play in emergencies and is happy to help out the younger guys, everyone knows their role and no one is threatened. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

You dont say?

I forgot that the NFL has a set rule as to how many coaches and what titles you can have for your staff, along with the required hours they all must work. If they want to hire a QB mentor/Guru for Allen they can pay him whatever they want and allow him to come and go as he feels necessary. The Pat's had Bradys personal trainer around the team and facility whenever Brady felt he wanted him there

But why waste a roster spot on him as a player? We saw last season how they apparently need all the spots they can get when they cut a veteran WR just to get an opening for another rotational DT to sit on the sidelines.

The roster spot for DA is not wasted. If Allen is injured you will need a backup. When McCarron was dealt the team was placed in a very precarious position. It's not worth going into the McCarron saga again other than having only two qbs on the roster can put you in a very difficult situation. If DA is beneficial in Allen's development (and I believe that it is the case) then it is worth keeping him. If Allen was an accomplished veteran qb I could understand not carrying the extra qb on the active roster. But that is not the case here. 

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

He’s got a pretty sweet deal.  He’s basically a player/coach who gets paid the veteran minimum which is way higher than a QB Coach.

Yes but Bills could pay same amount to him as a coach, get more work out of him and not have money count towards cap.  

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Meh.  It's OK, I guess as a benbefit to Josh Allen.  I think it's a bit redundant (Matt Barkley is already a veteran presence).  With Josh Allen being just a second year QB (in 2019) there's no particular rush to bring in a developmental guy.  After next season, I would definitely let him go in favor of a youngster.

They will bring a youngster in just to have fresh arm for camp.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Jumping in a few pages late here...but I'm not sure that I understand this 'signing' at all. While I liked locking Barkley in for a few years,  Andersen is just an unnecessary distraction really.  The team doesn't need two veterans to back up their 'Rookie' project...do they?  Seems to also send an odd message to Barkley.  It's not a big deal either way, but I'm not sure why this signing was the first thing they needed to do following the end of the season.

Yes, apparently so.

Barkley should be spending his time staying ready to play at a moments notice.  That is what good back ups do.  On game day, if the backup knows the game plan and the opponent as well as the starter does, the backup can help a lot on the sideline and be ready --- just like Frank Reich did.

Most teams have a number 3 that is a project, used to run the scout team, help other players gets reps, etc.  For the Bills, Anderson will do that and also serve as a mentor it Allen.  He may also be helping he OC with game planning and on field adjustments.  Maybe DA is a very sharp guy and McD is going to groom him?  Whatever DA brought to the QB room was liked by all. 

Once Allen takes the next steps we can bring on a project #3.  For now DA has an important job in that role. 

Side note:  Lots of people putting down Culley but consider he had to coach McCarron, Peterman, Allen, Anderson and Barkley all in one season.  He had to run a three way competition with three inexperienced and unworthy QBs just to find a starter.  Looking at the progression in Allen from his first game to his last game, looking at how quickly Barkley got ready and toasted the Jets, and then the work with DA, I would say that Culley did a fine job.  Just because DA is staying does not mean Culley did bad. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Barkley has nothing to worry about, DA will mentor him as needed as well. DA will only play in emergencies and is happy to help out the younger guys, everyone knows their role and no one is threatened. 

Yup.

Of course DA would rather be a player than a coach.  He makes more $ than a first year position coach, gets more pay for playoffs, covered by the CBA union, probably adds to his pension too.  You get a nice uniform and free laundry service.   Who would not want to be a player? 

5 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Well alright good move, essentially a QB coach

QB coach that can play in an emergency. DA is like our McCown.

Josh Allen has repeatedly said how much having DA and Barkley have meant to him.

Nice to go into an offseason with QB room set. ?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I don't get it really.  He is terrible as a QB.  Why not just add him to the coaching staff?  The guy should never be on the field again IMO.

He is the emergency 3rd string QB. Apparently you tune out whenever Josh Allen praises DA for helping him adjust to the pro game.

The team has 88 million in cap space. Keep your new QB happy and moving in the right direction.

I don't have a problem with this.  I'd rather they carry 3 QBs given the way Allen throws his body out on the field, and I don't think they are going to do much better than Derek Anderson as a QB3.  Usually that slot goes to a very raw, late round QB (like Cardale Jones), or a journeyman vet like Barkley.  They already have Barkley, and they have no need to draft a developmental QB.

The only downside here is if you wanted to carry 2 QBs and use the roster spot on a different position.  I don't think that's wise in the first place.

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I love having their 3 set before 2018 is even over.

Man, they must have really liked the way their QB's work together in the last 6-7 weeks.

Exactly! Anyone worried about the QB position is a fool. Quote me, I don't care.

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I don't get it really.  He is terrible as a QB.  Why not just add him to the coaching staff?  The guy should never be on the field again IMO.

Agree 100%. Are they really going to keep three QBs on the roster so that Anderson can be a player/mentor?

Edited by vincec

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Yup.

Of course DA would rather be a player than a coach.  He makes more $ than a first year position coach, gets more pay for playoffs, covered by the CBA union, probably adds to his pension too.  You get a nice uniform and free laundry service.   Who would not want to be a player? 

Coaches have a union too and if he stuck with it long enough he'd get a double pension.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said in a thread earlier that I thought Anderson could be made Assistant QB coach or something..... maybe that is a pay check he doesn't want to settle for. More money as a third string QB. It does show the absolute folly of not releasing Peterman last offseason and signing a DA type back then.

That is where I am at on this.....

Do ppl not realize that one of the biggest mistake the bills made this past year is how they handled the qb situation.....have learned from that mistake and are not doing it again?

You have THREE veteran qbs (Josh being just a 2nd year guy though) who have live bullet NFL playing time.....they have taken care of this important need before even going into the offseason which was smart.......

I guess Patrick M.  and Tom B. were not available for the 3rd string mentor job?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

These two firings better happen soon. They couldn't be more obvious. 

That's why I'm interested in seeing if it will actually happen...

McDermott doesn't seem to be a listen to the fans kind of guy and for the most part has made roster moves that the fans have been asking for like cutting Benjamin etc. but, at his own pace. He seems to give people EVERY opportunity and EVERY chance to prove they belong on the team but Crossman clearly sucks and Castillo is nothing special either.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

What a difference a year makes going from zero stability at the most important position to making it one of the most solidified on the squad. No mysteries heading into 2019 at all. 

Trust the Process ?

38 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

And if the shite ever hit the fan he could play!

Right but it’s a long shot and he knows it.  I do expect him to get into shape, participate in camp, and prepare like he’s going to play but I think he knows his main role is as a mentor and he’s only playing if things really go south.

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Right but it’s a long shot and he knows it.  I do expect him to get into shape, participate in camp, and prepare like he’s going to play but I think he knows his main role is as a mentor and he’s only playing if things really go south.

Agreed. It's a nice insurance policy that just QB coach can't give you.

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

He is the emergency 3rd string QB. Apparently you tune out whenever Josh Allen praises DA for helping him adjust to the pro game.

The team has 88 million in cap space. Keep your new QB happy and moving in the right direction.

Uh, apparently you don't understand that he can do the exact same thing as a coach and that our roster is limited to only 53 players regardless of what our cap situation is.

19 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Uh, apparently you don't understand that he can do the exact same thing as a coach and that our roster is limited to only 53 players regardless of what our cap situation is.

Mark,

I think this all stems from the situation that happened to us this year at QB

Regardless of what you think of him as a QB....he is in fact a veteran....and should the unthinkable happen (like this year) we will be damn lucky to have 3 veteran guys with experience in the offensive system ready to go even if it is a game or 2)

They went from having nothing in veteran experience to overkill......which is ok with me

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get why they sign a guy that went 20 & 27 W/L while a starter i know he's seen a lot of football but Barkley has as good or better insight on the game which i think was proven by his first start for the Bills .

I think the roster spot could be better used maybe bring him back as a QB coach but not to use a roster spot when they could bring in another player to help the cause ...

23 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

He’s got a pretty sweet deal.  He’s basically a player/coach who gets paid the veteran minimum which is way higher than a QB Coach.

Yeah idk why they just don't make him the QB coach. The WR turned QB coach we have can be moved to another spot.