Ok All Those Who Want Beane/McDermott Fired? Who Do YOU Want?

Like A Mofo

12 hours ago, GoBills! said:

I'd let Todd Haley run the offense. He has had success in Pit with Big Ben, let McD run the D. That's about it.

Big Ben couldn't stand Haley which got him fired in Pittsburgh. Everyone in Cleveland hated Haley, which is why he's unemployed now. I think his NFL days are over.

18 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Names anyone? Of course I want someone too who can help the offense, but let's talk names. I am not that knowing myself, asking the panel of experts here who yearn for firings.

I think the Bills wont fire this dumpster fire regime but i can see Pegs bringing in a president of football ops Bill Polian.  We need at least to strip Mcd of his power.

19 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

I want someone that knows how to build an offense. Someone that can evaluate talent beyond how they fit into a culture. I want someone that can call plays on offense when needed. Good Defensive Coordinators are a dime a dozen. Defenses no longer win in this NFL. They keep you in games, but they do not win them. McDermott is a glorified D-Coordinator, who is over his head as a head coach.

You realize that you have not answered the question right? 

19 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

We all hear how badly some here want Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane fired NOW.

Who do you want the Pegulas to get right now that would be much better?

Don't just say 'I want them fired', provide a solution, a reasonable solution.

Thank you.

I'd fire them and hire myself. 

Disclaimer: I just want a nice contract

• Haha (+1) 2

Claiming that Bills fans are impatient and "millenials" (whatever the fxxx that idiotic label means) because they want to watch entertaining football after two (barely) winning seasons over the last 18 years is just mind boggling.

It's like watching your team get its teeth kicked by Brady and Belichick year after year is some kind of rite of passage that has to be endured to prove your worthiness as a fan.

The NFL is one of the top results-oriented businesses in the country, but we have to pay to watch sh###ty football for three years before we can decide if a coach is "good" or not.

Look, after two years it's blatantly obvious that Beane and McDermott are close to being the worst offensive minds in the modern NFL, where offensive records are being set weekly.

We know this from their actions in Buffalo, and we know this from their time in Carolina (imagine if Cam Newton played for Andy Reid). 

It's in their DNA for these guys to build a team that wins games 17-14.  And in 2018, those types of teams fail.

So, you want to wait another year to see what these offensive dullards do with 80 million and some 1st and 2nd day draft picks, fine.  My guess is that they'll draft defense in the first two rounds and sign a couple of slot receivers and another 29 year old running back.  They'll then put the offense out there  with a game plan to eat clock and score 20 points.

So, damn the definition of crazy and bring these guys back for that magical 3rd year.  What you're going to get is not much different than what we got from the other prehistoric defensive minded coaches the the last 20 years of Bills' history.

Edited by Perry Turtle
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Wade Phillips

Gregg Williams 

Dick Jauron 

Rex Ryan

Sean McDermott 

For the love of God people, feel free to hire an Offensive minded HC. Last I checked the NFL is a offense driven league?

Last “offensive” coach they hired was marrone, and he was all about winning games 10-7... lol.

Oh and punting on 4th and short in opposing teams territory when down in the 4th quarter.

Keep them both.  They knew the season was hopeless when both Incognito and Wood left.  So they're building a strong defense.  The D will lose a couple of old guys in the next year (Kyle, LoRax most likely) but the rest of the is young and aggressive.  With the salary cap issues this year their hands were tied as far as getting good replacements on the O line.  I think they did screw up the QB and WR situation.  Still they deserve at least next year and probably the year after that.

1 minute ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Why aren't you replying to the people who have?

Working....Im working my way down the list as I have time....I am definately open to discussion here....just want to point out that a lot of people are bitching with absolutely no idea on how to fix it (which I have little time for)

Sorry...the thread is long I will get there today

I am ok giving McDermott another year. My issue lies with Daboll. For once I want the Bills to go after someone who can innovate. Pluck some no name offensive coordinator from college who is young and might be innovative. Give it a shot. Daboll has a track record of being terrible, he is not the guy we should have brought in. 

19 hours ago, BBills88 said:

Lets get a special teams coach this time. The last one took us to 4 straight super bowls.

I have actually been very open to that in the past.....good ST's coaches are very detail oriented.

Not saying I want to dumb current coaches...but if we were in the market this would not be a bad idea

19 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Lincoln Riley.  Also fits the ofeensive minded requirment

Dont know much about him....can you elaborate?

19 hours ago, wppete said:

Every time this question came up over the years I would say get John Gruden away from

MNF and sign him as the Bills coach.

? Boy was I ever wrong ?.

I really respect that you admitted that

16 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

I’d bring Rex back. Schwartz. Harbaugh. The guy from the Seahawks. Any promising local pop warner coaches. 

Hell. Chris the trainer would be an upgrade. 

No...they would not

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

"Get educated"

So Beane and McDermott have no hand in:

1. Trading Glenn

2. Trading for Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews, Kaelin Clay

3. Trading Watkins 

4. Signing Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Kerley, Philly Brown, Andre Holmes, Robert Foster,  

5. Drafting Zay Jones, Ray-Ray McCloud

6. Keeping Mike Tolbert as the only backup RB in 2017

7. Benching Tyrod mid-season for Nate Peterman, and continuing to push Peterman as a viable starter to this day?

8. Wanted Mike McCoy as OC (been fired 2x as an OC since turning down the Bills), hiring ancient Rick Dennison and now Brian Daboll. 

Just the unfortunate hand they were dealt, nothing they could do. 

Nope, this is not the offense they really want, but they are forced to have it right now. Just wait, the $80MM in Cap Space and 10 draft picks and you'll see the real explosive offense that McDermott really believes in. 

I guess the Baby Boomers and Gen Xer way is to shut your brain off and just accept that leaders are always right. Get back on the assembly line, back to your press, and keep punching those widgets blue collar worker. Just accept and eat the poop McDermott and Beane are serving. You can't critique it, you can't criticize it. You learn to sit down when they tell you to sit down. 

I'll say it one more time. McDermott and Beane got the Bills into the Playoffs in 2017. So they get 2018 and 2019 to show they can be the permanent solution in Buffalo. But we are scoring 10 ppg now on offense. Every week this team is sinking lower and lower offensively. If you end up at 8 ppg, how can you possibly have any faith in Beane and McDermott to spend all that cap space and draft picks on offense? How? What evidence could there be at that point?

If Derek Anderson doesn't get cleared this week, you are one hit away from a QB who isn't on this roster as of this morning or Logan Thomas/Tyrell Pryor taking snaps at QB. 

You talk but you really say nothing.....ever

If we WERE going to go away from Deboll (which I think we should not) I would very much like to see SM stay on as head coach but get out of his comfort zone as far as offensive coordinator's.....get someone from a coaching tree of success on the offensive side of the ball......I am a big Frank Reich fan (I know he is not available) you will have a hard time prying away a "name" so take a chance on someone under the "name"

But...I think Deboll's offensive schemes are just fine...he just lacks the horses to run them right now

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm fine keeping what we have.

But next I would throw a ton of money and power at Nick Caserio of the Pats. He's basically been their pseudo general manager for a while. Probably bring Josh McDaniels with him. 

I also think John Defellipo and Matt Lafluer are going to be the hot new coordinators on the next hiring cycle. I think LaFleur is pretty interesting. I also think Dan Campbell of the Saints deserves a chance to be a head coach again. I was impressed with what he did in Miami and now he's serving under Sean Payton. 

Campbell will get a job this hiring season I think. DeFilippo probably will too - save for against the Bills that offense has been humming. LaFleur I am less convinced on... He was QB coach on an Atlanta team with loads of talent and Shanahan, then he was an offensive coordinator who didn't call the plays on a Rams team with loads of talent and Sean McVay. Now with Tennessee on a team with less offensive talent and calling his own plays for the first time he has destroyed a productive run game despite still having one of the few decent OLs in the NFL and two highly touted running backs and we are yet to see a jump in Mariota's play.

If I am taking a punt on a young offensive mind it is the same one I advocated for OC here last offseason - Sean Ryan the Quarterbacks coach and de-facto offensive coordinator Monday to Saturday in Houston (he has a major hand in game planning but Billy O calls the plays on Sundays). He was the Giants receiver coach who worked with the rookie OBJ, who was far from a finished article coming into the league, and got outstanding production and then he was the Texans Quarterback coach who took the rookie Deshaun Watson and smashed a lot of rookie records (and the only thing that stopped more falling was injury). The talk in Houston is that he was given even more of a quasi-coordinator role this offseason to keep him but eventually he is a guy someone is going to take a chance on. No idea what his leadership abilities are like, but his pedigree as a coach looks pretty decent.

I'm not banging the drum for McDermott's firing by the way. He gets next year whatever the weather to my mind, as does Beane. I'd be minded to give him another year after that too..... but I am less convinced I would last the course with Beane if next year doesn't go well and if that is a condition of McDermott staying then he probably has to go too.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I have actually been very open to that in the past.....good ST's coaches are very detail oriented.

Not saying I want to dumb current coaches...but if we were in the market this would not be a bad idea

No...they would not

Riley is the hot college (Oklahoma)coach right now and is considered to have a very strong offensive mind. I've watched 4 Oklahoma games so far and it sure seems to be working down there. But you never know how that translates when you go pro. I've noticed a lot of motion and a lot of talent lol. The QB taking over for Mayfield is like a Jalen Hurts from Alabama, maybe even better passer.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

This is what we did with the Chan Gailey Hire..We did well on offense, but we had some stiffs like Edwards running the defense and we were horrible on Defense.   We have never had good OC and DC at the same time except during the Bledsoe era. 

The same George Edwards that coordinated the NFL's number 1 defense last season? That George Edwards?

The defense sucked here under Edwards but there wasn't much talent. When we started to up the talent level we replaced him with the 'Tasche. Who really did suck. 

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Wild idea, but Mike Leach.  I'm really curious if he could figure out NFL offense, especially the way it's trending more towards the Air Raid anyway and his press conferences would be gold.

Plus he could lock underperforming players in the equipment shed without their parents getting on his case!

I think that Lincoln Riley will go to Cleveland to coach Baker Mayfield. For the record, I think that Beene and McDermott should get another year. If they don't, I like Jim Bob Cooter for the job. Offensive coach and a name that sounds like a minor character in Smokey and the Bandit? How can you lose? 

I'd give McBean two more years, he did end the playoff drought last year after all.

Yeah they screwed the pooch on the QB situation this year by keeping Peterman and a rookie and nothing else though they are building a defense that is becoming quite good. I'm not even as down on Daboll as I was after watching the plays he came up with vs the NFL's favorite team.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Wild idea, but Mike Leach.  I'm really curious if he could figure out NFL offense, especially the way it's trending more towards the Air Raid anyway and his press conferences would be gold.

If press conference gold is what you what, you have to hire this guy...

For the "what did you expect" or "they have nothing to work with" crowd:

Why is hard to see that they are historically bad? This is beyond the normal we knew it would be like this. They are on pace to break some records for ineptitude. Think about this:

They have half as many points scored as the 49ers and CJ Beathard led offense. The team lost both its starting QB and RB. An awful team. I could down the list of other teams and you will find more of the same. It is atrocious. And here we go trotting out a guy that throws a pick every 8 pass attempts and has no business being in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even though it would take away from the fun at the "Cuse...bring in Dino! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbC693EX4cM

The guy's done an incredible job and knows offense. Took a HORRIFIC Cuse program and has them ranked in his 3rd year. And came super close to upsetting Clemson for a 2nd year in a row. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It would certainly be better (and a lot more fun) than what we’ve got.  Leach has done a really nice job at WSU. 

I don't want them fired anymore. If I bought the team today I would fire them, but at this point I want to see the end of this so that people like the OP don't have the satisfaction of claiming we gave up too quickly without letting them execute their master plan of having the worst offense of all time and rising from the ashes to super bowl contender. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ctk232 said:

That's really interesting. Obviously not that I know Tony, but his rep is one of a stand-up guy who is a motivated competitor, but otherwise a lockerroom presence you want(ed). He doesn't seem like the guy to desire a military-esque style of coach, but he's still from a military family and would likely be able to play under him, unless he really is that bad. Says a good amount about Haley.

Yep, he made a point of saying he didn’t know him personally, but trusted the guys who gave him reports. Again, I really enjoyed his candor. Most guys try to be too PC and not hurt anyone’s feelings. THAT is not interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

No...they would not

If we WERE going to go away from Deboll (which I think we should not) I would very much like to see SM stay on as head coach but get out of his comfort zone as far as offensive coordinator's.....get someone from a coaching tree of success on the offensive side of the ball......I am a big Frank Reich fan (I know he is not available) you will have a hard time prying away a "name" so take a chance on someone under the "name"

But...I think Deboll's offensive schemes are just fine...he just lacks the horses to run them right now

Says the guy who waves Bills Pom Poms and shames other fans for not being a good enough fan. 

This is the endless debate. Realists bring up valid criticisms of the regime. And the same ostrich’s would rather bury their head in the sand. 

No no worries huh John? Just blind hope in McDermott and Beane despite a mounting pile of evidence to suggest they have no idea how to compete in today’s NFL? 

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Says the guy who waves Bills Pom Poms and shames other fans for not being a good enough fan. 

This is the endless debate. Realists bring up valid criticisms of the regime. And the same ostrich’s would rather bury their head in the sand. 

No no worries huh John? Just blind hope in McDermott and Beane despite a mounting pile of evidence to suggest they have no idea how to compete in today’s NFL? 

You....provide.....nothing

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He'll continue to improve the only thing he knows, the defense.  And hire his 3rd OC who will subsequently fail. Sean McDermott is completely incapable of evaluating offensive players or coaches. Oh well, we can always look back on 17-19 and say we had good defenses.....

I disagree Debbie. 

McDermott I'm Ok with what I am not ok with is how Beane handled the QB position/offense this offseason.... He better be willing to keep drafting QB's till one proves they can play

Not having a solid vet in here to play was unexcusable 

I am not along with 95% of those here a football expert with intricate knowledge of all coaches, assistants and great minds in the game.

However I have watched the game almost 50 years and it is obvious the coach has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE AND HIRED OC's WHO ARE A REFLECTION OF HIM AND ARE FAILING.

Don't need to add anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

McDermott I'm Ok with what I am not ok with is how Beane handled the QB position/offense this offseason.... He better be willing to keep drafting QB's till one proves they can play

Not having a solid vet in here to play was unexcusable 

Those sorts of important decisions almost certainly begin and end with McDermott, not Beane.

It's McD's show here.  Beane is there for a little input and to do what McD says.

2 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The thing that I do not understand with those that are freaking out.  We expected this season to be what it had become.   Things will get better beginning next year.  Take a deep breath....and relax.

How do you know things will get better? What have you seen that indicates this? 

It is interesting how fans want to defend their team or their coaches despite what is being seen. Every coach in the first year or two will have those that say "trust the process" or "it takes time" or whatever other excuse. Sometimes you have to trust what your eyes are telling you.

I ask again.

Why is hard to see that they are historically bad? This is beyond the normal we knew it would be like this. They are on pace to break some records for ineptitude. Think about this:

They have half as many points scored as the 49ers and CJ Beathard led offense. The team lost both its starting QB and RB. An awful team. I could down the list of other teams and you will find more of the same. It is atrocious. And here we go trotting out a guy that throws a pick every 8 pass attempts and has no business being in the league. 

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How do you know things will get better? What have you seen that indicates this? 

It is interesting how fans want to defend their team or their coaches despite what is being seen. Every coach in the first year or two will have those that say "trust the process" or "it takes time" or whatever other excuse. Sometimes you have to trust what your eyes are telling you.

I ask again.

They have improved the defense.  I believe the offense will follow. 

Being optimistic is so much better that running around yelling that the sky is falling.  

What is being accomplished by all this negativity? 

If I have a choice to believe in people that have devoted their adult life to footfall or the people freaking out on TBD, I will choose the former.