Ok All Those Who Want Beane/McDermott Fired? Who Do YOU Want?

Like A Mofo

Easy really, in this offensive league we need an offense first coach, we likely can’t get the best candidate, but pull the best guy we can from either KC/LA/NO to begin with 

We also need better eyes for offensive talent, those who make the talent argument fail to acknowledge the moves made not with an eye toward a rebuild that have failed, KB/Zay/Coleman/Kerley. And the handling of McCarron to get us where we currently stand. Bringing in those guys wasn’t part of a tank, it’s pure ineptitude.

And McDermott specifically, whiffing HARD twice on OC, considerably behind the times on Dennison and then hires a guy who has called plays one time since 2012, and has a horrid track record when he does. It isn’t nearly as much the talent as it is this. The busts mentioned above would be fine in the right play designers hands. You can scheme to get open in this Swiss cheese league, unless you are dense and inept. Give Chan Gailey his playsheet and we win last night.

So in summary what I want is modern offense, it’s all that matters. The model they are building stopped working at least 3 years ago, and the rules keep putting it further in the rear view 

4 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

I want someone that knows how to build an offense. Someone that can evaluate talent beyond how they fit into a culture. I want someone that can call plays on offense when needed. Good Defensive Coordinators are a dime a dozen. Defenses no longer win in this NFL. They keep you in games, but they do not win them. McDermott is a glorified D-Coordinator, who is over his head as a head coach.

I'm not sure they tried to build an offense and no one here knows the answer to that.  Their strategy could be we don't have enough money for both so lets build the defense first.  Long term offensive salaries are higher so does make sense to get the defense going first as once players are all off rookie contracts harder to keep all your offensive plyers as they are paid more.  Seattle did that, Rams kind of did too.

IMO The one miscalculation by the front office was that they were as good as they were last year which landed them a lower than expected draft slot which meant took more draft capital to move up to the top.  If they had finished 8-8 where they would have drafted, likely could have kept at least one of the extra 2nd or 3rd rounders  if not two.  Those could hve been used on the offense, but instead are rather bare.

6 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

We all hear how badly some here want Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane fired NOW.

Who do you want the Pegulas to get right now that would be much better?

Don't just say 'I want them fired', provide a solution, a reasonable solution.

Thank you.

Why do you express contempt for your fellow Bills fans and not the organization itself?

The fans didn't create this ***** show.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I give Beane one more year.  There should be a marked improvement after 3 years.  I don't care what kind of mess a NFL GM walks into.  If the team is not improved in 3 years- sayonara 

Yeah but it really wasn't that big of a mess to begin with and most of which currently is a mess was crated By McBeane themselves!

Buffalo was not Cleveland, starting out at ground zero, when McDermott was hired.

• Like (+1) 1

Not the fans job. Nothing wrong with expecting better. Expecting at a minimum a group that does not continue to trot out Peterman as starting QB. That makes the Bills organization the joke of the NFL. When they signed Terrelle Pryor local and national media joked or maybe is serious that he should be starting QB. It is sad. We should expect and deserve better but dont need to have all the answers as fans. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm fine keeping what we have.

But next I would throw a ton of money and power at Nick Caserio of the Pats. He's basically been their pseudo general manager for a while. Probably bring Josh McDaniels with him. 

I also think John Defellipo and Matt Lafluer are going to be the hot new coordinators on the next hiring cycle. I think LaFleur is pretty interesting. I also think Dan Campbell of the Saints deserves a chance to be a head coach again. I was impressed with what he did in Miami and now he's serving under Sean Payton. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Why do you express contempt for your fellow Bills fans and not the organization itself?

The fans didn't create this ***** show.

I don't see contempt for Bills fans in OP's post. I also don't see any contempt OR support for the existing regime by OP.

What I do see is contempt for the call to fire without a thought as to who to bring in and a request for more than the typical "Sue you? I'm suing everyone!" response (sorry - obscure Jerky Boys reference). Seems like a reasonable point of discussion that few have chosen to respond to.

Coaches - young offensive minds with success as QB coaches and offensive coordinators.  John DeFillipo and Matt LaFleur come to mind.  I don't want college coaches as they often have difficulty translating their success to the NFL.

GM - Reggie McKenzie as I'm hoping Jon Gruden and him butt heads forcing McKenzie out.  

• Like (+1) 2

If they fire the GM after just 1 draft and HC after breaking the 17 year curse and halfway through a rebuild, no one will want either job. Why would they if they know that they'll only get 2 years to turn it around? Stop whining. Let's see how they do this offseason.

All who want them  fired, should be fired from being fans. You all have no clue that we are rebuilding and expect us to win this season when we simply can not with these offensive players. Please get educated and stop whining like millennials.

Thank you and peace out.

9 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Anyone who wants to run a modern NFL offense. 

You mean the same scheme that is run by the Patriots?? Yeah it's so old and outdated , it could never work in Today's NFL.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

They have none. They're angry millenials who think that THEIR WAY is the best way and if they don't do it that way then fire everyone. 

FTFY

15 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

I want someone that knows how to build an offense. Someone that can evaluate talent beyond how they fit into a culture. I want someone that can call plays on offense when needed. Good Defensive Coordinators are a dime a dozen. Defenses no longer win in this NFL. They keep you in games, but they do not win them. McDermott is a glorified D-Coordinator, who is over his head as a head coach.

Name a name. Any name.

14 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

Jim Harbaugh

:lol:

Oh wait. Sorry about the previous reply. I must have been blinded by THIS bit of genius.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

I give Beane one more year.  There should be a marked improvement after 3 years.  I don't care what kind of mess a NFL GM walks into.  If the team is not improved in 3 years- sayonara 

Beane will have been here a total of 2 years at that point.

I'm a rare breed of liking Beane and McDermott but also wanting better. Would much rather have preferred Sean stayed a DC. 

Lincoln Riley, Harbaugh, DeFillipo, I'll take anyone from the Rams offensive staff, literally anyone. I WANTED REICH SO DAMN BAD...

Edited by Elite Poster

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

All who want them  fired, should be fired from being fans. You all have no clue that we are rebuilding and expect us to win this season when we simply can not with these offensive players. Please get educated and stop whining like millennials.

Thank you and peace out.

"Get educated"

So Beane and McDermott have no hand in:

1. Trading Glenn

2. Trading for Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews, Kaelin Clay

3. Trading Watkins 

4. Signing Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Kerley, Philly Brown, Andre Holmes, Robert Foster,  

5. Drafting Zay Jones, Ray-Ray McCloud

6. Keeping Mike Tolbert as the only backup RB in 2017

7. Benching Tyrod mid-season for Nate Peterman, and continuing to push Peterman as a viable starter to this day?

8. Wanted Mike McCoy as OC (been fired 2x as an OC since turning down the Bills), hiring ancient Rick Dennison and now Brian Daboll. 

Just the unfortunate hand they were dealt, nothing they could do. 

Nope, this is not the offense they really want, but they are forced to have it right now. Just wait, the $80MM in Cap Space and 10 draft picks and you'll see the real explosive offense that McDermott really believes in. 

I guess the Baby Boomers and Gen Xer way is to shut your brain off and just accept that leaders are always right. Get back on the assembly line, back to your press, and keep punching those widgets blue collar worker. Just accept and eat the poop McDermott and Beane are serving. You can't critique it, you can't criticize it. You learn to sit down when they tell you to sit down. 

I'll say it one more time. McDermott and Beane got the Bills into the Playoffs in 2017. So they get 2018 and 2019 to show they can be the permanent solution in Buffalo. But we are scoring 10 ppg now on offense. Every week this team is sinking lower and lower offensively. If you end up at 8 ppg, how can you possibly have any faith in Beane and McDermott to spend all that cap space and draft picks on offense? How? What evidence could there be at that point?

If Derek Anderson doesn't get cleared this week, you are one hit away from a QB who isn't on this roster as of this morning or Logan Thomas/Tyrell Pryor taking snaps at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If they fire the GM after just 1 draft and HC after breaking the 17 year curse and halfway through a rebuild, no one will want either job. Why would they if they know that they'll only get 2 years to turn it around? Stop whining. Let's see how they do this offseason.

I agree that McBeane cannot be fired until at least the end of next season.

But I feel I am entitled to whine. This season has been a complete debacle, an embarrassment. I expected a miserable season but not complete incompetence. I  no longer billieve in this duo but understand the situation that ownership is in, their hands are tied. 

15 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Names anyone? Of course I want someone too who can help the offense, but let's talk names. I am not that knowing myself, asking the panel of experts here who yearn for firings.

I would have liked McVay or Shanahan as coach because I prefer an offensive HC as opposed to a defensive one...and whoever is in charge of personnel for the Chiefs

I don't think anyone could get production from this offense.    I don't care who.   Let McDermott and Beane complete this rebuild in 2019 and lets see what the offense looks like next year.   But don't expect Allen to make some Mahomes kind of leap.  It's going to be baby steps.   Stay the course, and in 2020 everyone's job is on the line in the front office and on the coaching staff.   You get 3 full seasons and offseasons to remake this team.   in 2020 it's win or clean out your offices. 

15 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

This is what we did with the Chan Gailey Hire..We did well on offense, but we had some stiffs like Edwards running the defense and we were horrible on Defense.   We have never had good OC and DC at the same time except during the Bledsoe era. 

15 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

They have none. They're angry old men who think that THEIR WAY is the best way and if they don't do it that way then fire everyone. 

That's painting with an awfully broad brush. I'm neither angry nor old, but I am on board with the idea. I don't care if it is tomorrow, after the season, whatever. When the time comes and they end up on the scrap heap with every other coach and GM that has come through town in my adult life, I won't miss them and their "Trust the Process" BS one bit. To be fair, they have done some very nice work on the defense. But the offense and the complete failure to identify any meaningful contributors outside of Chris Ivory has set that side of the ball back to the leather helmet era. 

As far as GMs go, a lot of the rising guys last year did get their own jobs finally. Eric DeCosta in Baltimore has been mentioned for years and years and will finally get a shot to run the show with Ozzie Newsome retiring. Nick Caserio is not leaving Boston for Buffalo, especially with Brady and Belichick both getting close to riding into the sunset. Brian Gaine was here last year and went back to Houston as the GM. Brian Gutekunst almost got the Niners job over John Lynch but is now running the show for the Packers. Those are all guys that would have been nice. Until the off-season I don't think we will here much chatter about who the next round of up and comers are, but there is one guy left from the class of guys mentioned above: Eliot Wolf. Many thought he would be the next Packers GM, but he got squeezed out by Gutekunst and moved on to the Browns to serve as AGM this season. 

As far as coaches go, common sense would say find an offensive mind. In retrospect, the right move after firing Rex Ryan was probably hiring Anthony Lynn. He was here, he did a decent job calling the offense considering the constant injuries, and he already had a proven DC lined up to come with him in Gus Bradley. The Pegulas were just so desperate to get as far away from the Rex Ryan stink that they couldn't see the best option was right under their noses.

I would say that the best move post McDermott would either be find a defensive coach who can bring a proven OC with them, or an offensive coach who will bring a proven DC. That's hard to pin down, of course, but those are things the Bills would learn in their interviews. A good head coach would be able to sit down and say "If I'm hired,  Coach X is my offensive coordinator. If he isn't available, Coach Y. If he isn't available, Coach Z." And so on. 

Offensive guys:

John Defilippo (MIN OC, formerly Philly)

Todd Monken (TB OC) - given the full reins to the offense from Koetter this year and look at the difference. 

Defensive guys:

James Bettcher (NYG DC, formerly Arizona)

Jim Schwartz (has he learned from his failings in Detroit?)

Kris Richard (Dallas DC, formerly Seattle, interviewed with Bills in 2016/17)

Others:

Dave Toub (KC AHC/ST coordinator) if they want to take another stab at the Andy Reid tree he's always a sleeper name.

Mike Leach (Washington State) - hey why not? I don't think the NFL is ready for his personality.

Jim Harbaugh - always rumored to be ready for a comeback. Meh.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm fine with McBeane. 

For years, so many fans wanted this organization to tear it all down and start fresh. When they finally do that, people can't take it and think hitting "reset" in the middle of a reset is the best idea. If you wanna see if this team can break its own playoff drought record, well, start with hiring and firing coaching and front office staffs every other year. That's how they fell short for 17 straight seasons. They were of the mind that they could always "win now!" if they just added a few pieces here and there but it never worked. The only other actual rebuild I think we can consider would've been when Chan came in here and told Ralph he could win without star players. Even ol' Chan, with his pal Buddy who thought signing Mario Williams was his crowning achievement (until, of course, he drafted the generational superstar known as EJ Manuel) and started their Bills tenure with a phenomenal 0-8 record, were given two more seasons after that.

McBeane comes in here and in YEAR ONE, takes the team to the playoffs, despite having started their rebuild in the 2017 pre-season by trading Watkins, Darby, etc. They got some nice breaks in 2017 and found their way into the playoffs and that has set unrealistic expectations on 2018. I think a lot of people felt like, "They made the playoffs, why mess with the roster now?!" Well, because they weren't going to sustain any sort of long-term success with that roster. 

And the contract situation really plays heavily into all of it. They were strapped for cash over players like Marcell Dareus and Cordy Glenn. Both decent players but neither of them special players that couldn't be replaced with cheaper, younger options. 

They're building this thing the right way. Look at Chicago last season. Their offense was a dumpster fire and their rookie QB struggled all year. This season, they added some pieces and have made a lot of progress. Not to mention, they spent their first round pick on a linebacker instead of an offensive player. Their second-year QB is playing well and they don't have to worry about dishing out huge money to him for another three years. That gave them the ability to go out and sign a few receivers and some OL this past off-season. I assume the Bills are planning on doing the same type of thing.

All throughout the drought, all this organization did was throw a band-aid on things or sell hope and say they were "this close" to turning the corner if they could just get a guy like this or that. Clearly that didn't work. At this point, you gotta see it through. Let these guys keep working. Yeah, it's a bummer of a season but it was to be expected. Just let them keep grinding and I think good things are in their future.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'm fine with McBeane. 

For years, so many fans wanted this organization to tear it all down and start fresh. When they finally do that, people can't take it and think hitting "reset" in the middle of a reset is the best idea. If you wanna see if this team can break its own playoff drought record, well, start with hiring and firing coaching and front office staffs every other year. That's how they fell short for 17 straight seasons. They were of the mind that they could always "win now!" if they just added a few pieces here and there but it never worked. The only other actual rebuild I think we can consider would've been when Chan came in here and told Ralph he could win without star players. Even ol' Chan, who started his Bills tenure with a phenomenal 0-8 record, was given two more seasons after that.

McBeane comes in here and in YEAR ONE, takes the team to the playoffs, despite having started their rebuild in the 2017 pre-season by trading Watkins, Darby, etc. They got some nice breaks in 2017 and found their way into the playoffs and that has set unrealistic expectations on 2018. I think a lot of people felt like, "They made the playoffs, why mess with the roster now?!" Well, because they weren't going to sustain any sort of long-term success with that roster. 

And the contract situation really plays heavily into all of it. They were strapped for cash over players like Marcell Dareus and Cordy Glenn. Both decent players but neither of them special players that couldn't be replaced with cheaper, younger options. 

They're building this thing the right way. Look at Chicago last season. Their offense was a dumpster fire and their rookie QB struggled all year. This season, they added some pieces and have made a lot of progress. Not to mention, they spent their first round pick on a linebacker instead of an offensive player. Their second-year QB is playing well and they don't have to worry about dishing out huge money to him for another three years. That gave them the ability to go out and sign a few receivers and some OL this past off-season. I assume the Bills are planning on doing the same type of thing.

All throughout the drought, all this organization did was throw a band-aid on things or sell hope and say they were "this close" to turning the corner if they could just get a guy like this or that. Clearly that didn't work. At this point, you gotta see it through. Let these guys keep working. Yeah, it's a bummer of a season but it was to be expected. Just let them keep grinding and I think good things are in their future.

Chicago fired John Fox and brought in an offensive head coach to fix the offence and it has worked for them. 

That is what a lot of us want here in Buffalo- To bring in an innovative offensive coach and get Allen and the offence clicking on all cylinders.

Edited by billsfan11

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m okay either way but I don’t hate the idea of a young, creative, offensive mind to bring them into this millennium. There are things I like and things that I hate about McDermott. Give me Lincoln Riley while retaining Frazier and try to keep the defense going.  

It is criminal to have a young, talented QB that is surrounded by this talent with no QB coach. 

not having a QB coach is absurd.   If I'm Pegs, I'm mandating one next year.   And looking into what the Rams did to improve Goff (minus total coaching overhaul)

14 hours ago, Augie said:

I heard Tony Gonzales on the radio today saying he asked guys around the league when Haley came in and heard he had a huge ego, was a screamer, and Tony  decided he wasn’t a guy he wanted to play for. Said he’d rather retire than play for him, so ended up getting traded. I was surprised at his candor, and turned off by Haley. 

That's really interesting. Obviously not that I know Tony, but his rep is one of a stand-up guy who is a motivated competitor, but otherwise a lockerroom presence you want(ed). He doesn't seem like the guy to desire a military-esque style of coach, but he's still from a military family and would likely be able to play under him, unless he really is that bad. Says a good amount about Haley.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Chicago fired John Fox and brought in an offensive head coach to fix the offence and it has worked for them. 

That is what a lot of us want here in Buffalo- To bring in an innovative offensive coach and get Allen and the offence clicking on all cylinders.

They'll be fine. It's not about having an "innovative offensive coach" right now. It's a talent deficiency on that side of the ball. Throw Andy Reid in there, Matt Nagy, Sean McVay, whoever you want, they wouldn't score a whole lot more than Daboll has. 

Thinking that hiring some kind of innovative coach fixes things isn't the answer. Those guys I mentioned above have real talent on offense.

Let these dudes shape the offense like they shaped the defense and see what happens. There's no point in messing with things as they are right now. After the season, sure, there may be some coaching changes, but I can guarantee there'll be no change at head coach, defensive coordinator and likely offensive coordinator. Special teams, maybe, and maybe a few other spots but overall, this regime is aiming for continuity as they work to build sustained success. 

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

They'll be fine. It's not about having an "innovative offensive coach" right now. It's a talent deficiency on that side of the ball. Throw Andy Reid in there, Matt Nagy, Sean McVay, whoever you want, they wouldn't score a whole lot more than Daboll has. 

Thinking that hiring some kind of innovative coach fixes things isn't the answer. Those guys I mentioned above have real talent on offense.

Let these dudes shape the offense like they shaped the defense and see what happens. There's no point in messing with things as they are right now. After the season, sure, there may be some coaching changes, but I can guarantee there'll be no change at head coach, defensive coordinator and likely offensive coordinator. Special teams, maybe, and maybe a few other spots but overall, this regime is aiming for continuity as they work to build sustained success. 

I couldn't disagree more with your first few lines.

These coaches have great offensive minds, they are innovative, and they can identify talent to help their young QBs.

Nagy comes in, they sign Robinson and Gabriel. Combine that with being a great offensive mind and helping the young QB and boom. It's night and day from 2017-2018.

Same thing with Mcvay. He comes in, identifies talent and signs Watkins and Woods his first year,  does wonders with Goff, and takes the 32nd ranked offence to 1st in one season.(I believe he brought in an offensive lineman or 2 as well in 2017)

Now I am not going to say the turn around will be that extreme with the Bills in regards to Mcvay with the Rams, but if they can identify a great offensive coach, then there is no reason the Bills can't replicate what the Bears are doing, or at least to a certain degree. Especially with all the cap space/draft picks to identity good players on the offensive side of the ball.

Do I think Mcd/Beane are going to get fired? No I don't. But this offence they have is completely unacceptable and there is no excuse for it. They made this mess on the offensive side of the ball by getting rid of good players and bringing in their own guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I dont want them fired. I like what Im seeing on D and am looking foward to what they plan this off season

He'll continue to improve the only thing he knows, the defense.  And hire his 3rd OC who will subsequently fail. Sean McDermott is completely incapable of evaluating offensive players or coaches. Oh well, we can always look back on 17-19 and say we had good defenses.....