Watching Other NFL Teams Play

Jerome007

Do you guys watch other games on the regular?

I used to, now I will catch a few pieces here and there. Still, it's good to have comparisons and an outside perspective. 

First. very few teams, if any in fact, are complete. All have some glaring weaknesses on offense and/or defense. Good OLines are rare but damn do they make a difference. And if we analyzed their draft picks and trades, all of them have failures. It's like when we watch other teams we mostly notice the obvious and mainly their good things, while we overanalyze the Bills and all their mistakes.

That out of the way, it's quite obvious that the play selection on offense here is too basic. Forget the limited talent. Watch some opening drives by other teams: the reverses, quick passes to the slant, misdirections, play actions, etc. could ALL be done by the Bills. The long pass plays are rare for the most part but they have some - while for some reason Allen didn't have some in his last games. Because of playcalling, 1-3 times a game a receiver is wide open. And you know what, it happened here too before. You think O'Reilly got so open because of his speed? Daboll really to up his game! He calls way too basic plays. Talent is limited but not THAT limited!

Anything you guys notice? Again the goal is not to vomit all over the Bills staff as typical here and as if other teams didn't make also many bonehead moves. But just to discuss what could be so much better quickly with the current roster.

I mean, of course other teams make mistakes, but I just don't care too much about that. Other teams fans do the exact same to their team. I see fans of the steelers and Broncos, groan about how awful their teams are, and they won several super bowls. The only team that seemingly never struggles is the Patriots, and unfortunately it is impossible to ignore them here in buffalo. I do my best to follow other teams, but I refused to spend 1pm-11:30pm on sundays doing nothing but watch football. Most people, myself included, only get 2 days off work a week, and I would like to make the most of it. Normally I watch the Bills game, and then find other activities to do. There is no better example of a team that made a ton of mistakes, lost their starting quarterback, and still won the Super Bowl then the Eagles last year. They made a bunch of awful trades 3 or 4 years ago, and right now they are the defending champs. That being said, Eagles fans were pissed when those awful trades happened and rightfully so. I will be mad about the Bills until they give me a reason to not be mad. Same with the Sabres, I may be on the down swing of being mad about them.

• Like (+1) 1

You also have to remember that on offense we are very lacking in the talent department. Plus with a young QB its hard to run a complicated system like KC and Rams run with young QBs. Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have so many options when they step to the line and can read defenses. We don't have the personnel or the coach i'm afraid to run the newer type of offense that has been shown to be effective. Allot of teams only air it out occasionally but have so much movement behind the line and the RPO's that you just pick apart whatever the defense isn't covering. I would love to see that type of quick strike option play in Buffalo and I believe Allen would thrive in it. 

I watch lots of other teams' games, which is why I see just how out of step with the rest of the NFL the Bills are.  Hell, they are even out of step with previous Bills teams from 2014-2016.  While other teams make mistakes with personnel, no team has given away its best talent with little to show for it as consistently as the Bills have done since John Butler and AJ Smith left for San Diego back in 2001, and no Bills team -- maybe no team in NFL history -- has stripped itself of so much talent in such a short time and replaced it with so little.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I mean, of course other teams make mistakes, but I just don't care too much about that. Other teams fans do the exact same to their team. I see fans of the steelers and Broncos, groan about how awful their teams are, and they won several super bowls. The only team that seemingly never struggles is the Patriots, and unfortunately it is impossible to ignore them here in buffalo. I do my best to follow other teams, but I refused to spend 1pm-11:30pm on sundays doing nothing but watch football. Most people, myself included, only get 2 days off work a week, and I would like to make the most of it. Normally I watch the Bills game, and then find other activities to do. There is no better example of a team that made a ton of mistakes, lost their starting quarterback, and still won the Super Bowl then the Eagles last year. They made a bunch of awful trades 3 or 4 years ago, and right now they are the defending champs. That being said, Eagles fans were pissed when those awful trades happened and rightfully so. I will be mad about the Bills until they give me a reason to not be mad. Same with the Sabres, I may be on the down swing of being mad about them.

I'm in the Nashville area and when Buffalo beat the Titans the Tennessee fans made our usual angry "posters" on TBD look minor league! Face it, we live in the fast food era, we want it and we want it now! I have been with this team since 1965 and have seen times far more depressing than what we have now. McDermott and Beane are not doing that bad and I am willing to give them at least until December 2019 and not torch everything they do! I am actually getting excited about the Sabres!

• Like (+1) 3

Dont compare this team to others it would be just too depressing.....hell even last season they played like crap for the most part......we did not deserve to make it into the playoffs at the way they played.....we got extremely lucky only because a good part of the AFC were not that impressive and most importantly ANDY DALTON......

Some of you are incurable LOL Like if other teams were all so much better. The Bills were average for the most part. Only this year have they become doormats.

Anyway, one of my points is that designed plays that can be practiced even by the least talented teams should be seen. KC is loaded to the core so of course you can't replicate their versatility and complexity. Cheatriots have Brady but I watched their opening drive and 95% of the success was all scheme and basic execution. As the game goes on of course talent takes over by a wide margin. But good coaching should help have some initial success, and then help get some ryhtmn and be tailored to your players' strengths and weaknesses. It seems a crap shoot to me so far, as if Daboll relies on luck, and can't really analyze tendencies and his own players.

Roman designed great plays but was bad at calling them during games. His obsession at supposedly adjusting to the other teams' strengths meant the Bills O had no identity. It's called outsmarting yourself. With Daboll I see little logic though in his defense he discovers Allen and the team's identity as they go along.

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I watch other teams because of fan duel and my fantasy teams. We really are bottom feeders. Watching a Bills game is more like emotional torture at this point. Every time I see the good teams, I think why can't the Bills do that? Why don't the Bills run that play? Why don't the Bills make those plays? 

Oh well, check out a NY Giants game----maybe that will cheer you up.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Some of you are incurable LOL Like if other teams were all so much better. The Bills were average for the most part. Only this year have they become doormats.

Anyway, one of my points is that designed plays that can be practiced even by the least talented teams should be seen. KC is loaded to the core so of course you can't replicate their versatility and complexity. Cheatriots have Brady but I watched their opening drive and 95% of the success was all scheme and basic execution. As the game goes on of course talent takes over by a wide margin. But good coaching should help have some initial success, and then help get some ryhtmn and be tailored to your players' strengths and weaknesses. It seems a crap shoot to me so far, as if Daboll relies on luck, and can't really analyze tendencies and his own players.

Roman designed great plays but was bad at calling them during games. His obsession at supposedly adjusting to the other teams' strengths meant the Bills O had no identity. It's called outsmarting yourself. With Daboll I see little logic though in his defense he discovers Allen and the team's identity as they go along.

was this written by a human being or an algorithm?

no, I don't. maybe a few plays of a mon or thus nite game, otherwise no. the bills are the only thing keeping (as painful as it is at times) me watching. otherwise the refs with the bad calls and rule changes are ever more increasing my disinterest in the nfl period.

Edited by no name

38 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Just about every NFL fanbase thinks their teams offensive line sucks.

And most of them are right. OL play is mediocre across the NFL. Very few teams have a dominant line. Even so, offenses are scoring more throughout the league. The Bills havent managed to join in this offensive resurgence. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I see a lot of the Rams because I'm in their broadcast area and it's depressing to watch Bob Woods making plays.

Ditto since St Louis has that previous Rams connection, games tend to be televised here

47 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

When I watch other NFL teams it makes me realize how inept we are on offense 

I don't know whether to "like" this because you're correct, or "sad" this because the situation sucks

6 hours ago, JPP said:

...we did not deserve to make it into the playoffs at the way they played....

If we didn't deserve it, who did?

the Bills have played the Dalton role before. Leodis picking off Fit z in the EZ in 2015 for example. Sure the AFC may have been down ,but we capitalized on it for once. Good for us. Makes me happy.

And if other teams were better why didn't they end up ahead of us instead of behind?  Puzzling.

go Bills !!!

Edited by reddogblitz

12 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I used to, now I will catch a few pieces here and there. Still, it's good to have comparisons and an outside perspective. 

First. very few teams, if any in fact, are complete. All have some glaring weaknesses on offense and/or defense. Good OLines are rare but damn do they make a difference. And if we analyzed their draft picks and trades, all of them have failures. It's like when we watch other teams we mostly notice the obvious and mainly their good things, while we overanalyze the Bills and all their mistakes.

That out of the way, it's quite obvious that the play selection on offense here is too basic. Forget the limited talent. Watch some opening drives by other teams: the reverses, quick passes to the slant, misdirections, play actions, etc. could ALL be done by the Bills. The long pass plays are rare for the most part but they have some - while for some reason Allen didn't have some in his last games. Because of playcalling, 1-3 times a game a receiver is wide open. And you know what, it happened here too before. You think O'Reilly got so open because of his speed? Daboll really to up his game! He calls way too basic plays. Talent is limited but not THAT limited!

Anything you guys notice? Again the goal is not to vomit all over the Bills staff as typical here and as if other teams didn't make also many bonehead moves. But just to discuss what could be so much better quickly with the current roster.

Our QBs have sucked for decades.  It’s the main reason we don’t look like the good teams when you watch us play

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

I watch lots of other teams' games, which is why I see just how out of step with the rest of the NFL the Bills are.  Hell, they are even out of step with previous Bills teams from 2014-2016.  While other teams make mistakes with personnel, no team has given away its best talent with little to show for it as consistently as the Bills have done since John Butler and AJ Smith left for San Diego back in 2001, and no Bills team -- maybe no team in NFL history -- has stripped itself of so much talent in such a short time and replaced it with so little.

Eagles did.

They fired their coach. 

Drafted well. 

Won a Super Bowl. 

5 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Eagles did.

They fired their coach. 

Drafted well. 

Won a Super Bowl. 

Chip Kelly wasn't in charge of personnel long enough (less than a year) to gut the Eagles as thoroughly as McDermott has gutted the Bills.  Of course, the Eagles had more talent than the Bills had to begin with -- and a quality FO in place with a smart enough owner to know to cut his losses.

12 hours ago, no name said:

no, I don't. maybe a few plays of a mon or thus nite game, otherwise no. the bills are the only thing keeping (as painful as it is at times) me watching. otherwise the refs with the bad calls and rule changes are ever more increasing my disinterest in the nfl period.

same.  it’s a watered down product that’s turned into a 3+ hour commercial.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

Yeah and unfortunately the better teams seem to play much "bigger", faster and quicker than the Bills.  This has been the case for way too long.    

....and many times what you are looking at are former Bills players.....I'm tired of telling my wife.....yep we had him....we had him....or....we could have had him....(Mahommes)

• Like (+1) 2

Not as much as I like but enough. 75% of the league is separated by 1 or 2 plays, only a couple teams have consistency enough to avoid that statement. For as awful as the roster gut and offense have been, I'm just as impressed with what we have done with our defense. Some NFL fans have been crying about how they can't help but allow 30 points a week. I would find that to be a much greater frustration and negative stain on our team and coach than our current situation of being offensively challenged.  We seem void of talent on both sides in effort to rebuild but again we are playing top 5 defense (6th according to DVOA). 

Edited by KzooMike

I do watch a lot of other games - the most obvious thing that slaps you in the face is just how much more open other teams' receivers are than the Bills. 

Our WRs are truly awful, or our scheme is awful - or maybe both.  Offensively we just aren't playing the same game as most of the league.

I would temper some comments here about playing "big" or "physical" - over the past several years (not this year), we've actually had (at times anyway) a pretty physical offensive line and have been able to get good results from a whole string of RB's even before Shady.

Edited by BobChalmers

I watch the Bills game, the best "other" matchup of the day on Sunday, if it appeals to me, and then almost always Sunday Night Football.

Then during the week MNF and TNF if the games are good.

All of this, other than the Bills, pre-recorded on DVR of course so I can FF through all pre-game BS, in-game BS, commercials, half time, and everything else.  There is a lot more "other stuff" than actual football in a 3 hour 15 minute football game.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Jerome007 said:

Yes, especially this year. Just to not watch a HC foolishly clapping as his offense is looking like an all-time worse.

That is just bizarre.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Jerome007 said:

I base my opinions on the highlights I see. All I see  other teams do is score touchdowns. 

I'm torn every time i watch the Bills they loss the last game i went to was at the Ralph when Gailey was the coach & they played the Patriots, the Bills went in at half time with a lead & come out & somebody had replaced the Bills with a imposter & Brady & company came out & dismantled the Bills & won !

So since then i haven't been to a game & i don't know that i want to watch tomorrow because i'm finally out of therapy & it could bring back the night mares ! ?