McBeane Confidence

McBeane  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

We would be a better team with each one of those players that this brain trust did not want.

As for Richie, I believe he would be just fine within the structure of the team . . . as he was during the entire time that he was with the Bills.  Of course, you can disagree.  Nevertheless, there was NO reason to initiate a pay cut with one of our few all pros.

Nah something led to the RI thing....we agree to disagree.

No way in HELL are you going to sell me Glass Goodwin......NO WAY.  He was NOT all in on Football...at all.  Sammy maybe and Woods all day everyday I would want him.......sad to watch this go into the toilet and become Carolina north.....but the Bills O was far from freaking competent - FAR from that.  Yeah they had some flash in the pan moments and what not but no way even with Woods and Watkins would they be deemed competent.

55 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Not picking on anyone in particular but I see the "we will have picks and cap space" thing a lot.  My guess is that if you gave that homeless dude on the corner 1,000 dollars he'd spend it all on booze and be back on that corner in a few days.  In the same light I have to think we'll get the next Derick Dockery and Langston Walker and draft another RB in the first round who can't run behind a crappy line with a bad OC.  We'll blow through the money and trade away everyone we've drafted within 3 years.

I disagree. I bet that homeless guy has a wayy more complicated and fiscal budget laid out for $1000 come up scenarios.

My confidence in them is very low. I won’t get into everything, but they hired an OC that his only success at this level was as a TE coach, their QB coach never coached the position, they weren’t willing to pay a Vet QB to come in to tutor our 1st round QB, and also thought Nathan Preseason was able to play at this level with any sort of competence. 

Just wait until they sign Devin Funchess to huge money because no tier 1 WRs would sign here if there was any available in the 2019 FA class, and they’ll need to something at the position. My head hurts ??‍♂️

Edited by Captain Murica

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Wait a sec!  A competent offense.....describe said competent offense once Wood left due to injury and Richie left to join the CIA?  Which the Bills had NO control over......enlighten us dude - we await your wisdom of said competent offense.  And PLEASE spare us the TT ramblings.....dude couldn't even hold his job for 2 games in Cleveland.  We await you...

Competent doesn’t mean good it means at least capable of scoring around 20 points points a game and not being ranked in the bottom 5 of the league in every major category. Now we’ve become one of the worst offenses of all time, DUDE. 

Reasonably so.  I think the salary cap issues were significant with this team, and when McBeane arrived on the scene, a lot of the talent didn't match what they wanted to do.  I think Beane acquired a number of bandaid players like Benjamin, that he knew didn't have elite talent, but he has also signed some players that show he has an eye for talent at a value price.  Jordan Poyer is a good example.  There is one major caveat to my thinking.  The identification of a franchise QB is far from an exact science.  Beane appears to have placed a high priority on several characteristics that Josh Allen seems to possess.  He has elite physical traits, top notch character, and is the smartest QB in the draft class of 2018.  However his shortcomings in experience and college production are near legendary.  With all those desireable characteristics, the lack of experience and college productions renders the selection of Josh Allen in the draft a good guess at best.  He could fail.  If he does, it is questionable whether or not the fan base and ownership has enough patience to whether the storm until he can take another stab at a franchise QB. 

I think the bet is really on Allen.  The strategy is clearly to have the money and picks to build around him so he has the weapons if he becomes a top 12 QB (top 12 because that's how many teams make the playoffs) in the league.  Most posters seem to have very little confidence Allen will develop.  I still believe he will. 

I keep remembering that he couldn't hit a screen pass when OTAs and training camp opened in 3 months he developed touch on these plays.  From my uneducated eye, what he lacks now are two things.  He has little or no ability to adjust pre-snap and he doesn't read the entire field.  I think we will see progress in both areas when he hits the field again after the bye. If he can progress in these areas with the talent around him on the current team, imagine what he will do with lineman that hold their blocks for a half or full second longer and receivers that get separation...

Its way too early to write Allen off and Beane and McD are here for at least 3 and more likely 5 years.  There is no quick and easy fix for where the Bills were from 2000-2017.  We fans got a gift last year -- probably so we would be able to tolerate a putrid 2108 and a little bit better than putrid 2019. I am still optimistic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yes. This team overachieved last season and is doing pretty much what I expected this season.

It will be fine.

Plus it’s entertaining seeing all of the terrible posts by terrible posters at the moment.

This^

• Like (+1) 1

Eh...this is the season I expected last year.  I kind of like McDermott, but I have some concerns about Beane.  Of course, I am not exactly sure where one starts and the other begins.  That said, this rebuild is starting to feel a little like the Sabres tank/rebuild.  Tim Murray was great at getting rid of assetts for futures...but he wasn't so good at turning those futures into talent. So, consequently, the Sabres sucked, without a glimmer of improvement, for about 2 seasons longer than most expected.  Sabres may be finally turning a corner, but it took a second turnover of their roster.  I am not a Josh Allen hater, and still hold out some hope that he turns out to be an above average starter at some point...but if we are to believe the rumors out there, he wasn't necessarilly the Bills first choice...just like the Sabres got a really good player in Eichel, he wasn't the guy they really wanted.  A little concerned that Beane couldn't get to the position he needed to get the guy he really wanted. 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

I will be honest. I really have no idea how to feel about this subject, so I lean towards McBeane being ANOTHER failed regime in Buffalo.

What are your honest thoughts?

I think McBeane will not out-live Josh Allen or be given the opportunity to draft a second QB.

And I think Josh Allen will go the way of EJ some time during next season.

So yes, failed regime.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I think McBeane will not out-live Josh Allen or be given the opportunity to draft a second QB.

And I think Josh Allen will go the way of EJ some time during next season.

So yes, failed regime.

How can you give up on Allen after 5 games?   He is a raw prospect.  The majority of successful qbs took time to develop.  Give the kid a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Rishard Matthews and Josh Gordon for starters. Look it up

Neither guy would have come here, much less for peanuts.

There may be some out there who would but neither of those two. Rishard had some old conflict with one of the Bills coaches, as was commented on here ad nauseum, and Gordon wanted a place to show off for future contracts. He wouldn't have come here to be thrown to by Allen and Peterman.

Edited by Thurman#1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, SoTier said:

Bull manure.  You need to stop making up stuff.  The Bills incurred $32 million in dead cap space by trading away Dareus, Glenn, Taylor, and Ragland.  All but Taylor are starting on teams a whole lot better than the Bills.   Sure the Bills don't have those players big contracts, but they also don't their talent either.   You can't build even a mediocre NFL team with bottom feeder and career backup talent.

The Bills also incurred another $7 million in dead cap space by cutting/trading Corey Coleman, AJ McCarron, Marshall Newhouse, and Jeremy Kerley -- all players brought in by the player personnel geniuses named McDermott and Beane and kept only a few months at best.  Coleman was with the Bills for about 10 days, and I think Newhouse was the only one who lasted into the regular season.  

Yes. $32 mill in dead cap space by trading away Dareus, Glenn, Taylor and Ragland. But you do know that we also saved us a lot of money at the same time, right? We saved around $4 mill last year and $9.9 mill this year and $40 mill over the next few years. The cap trouble we were in was going to continue to haunt us down the line unless they cleaned out a bunch of stuff, and Dareus was given a contract far too large for his contribution from around 2016 and onwards. Trading Glenn saved us $9.25 mill in salary and $2 mill in roster bonus this year, not to mention around $20 mill over the next couple of years. For a team that has a pretty good LT on a rookie contract, that's money well-saved. The $16 mill Tyrod cost us in dead cap is almost exactly what we saved ... $10 mill salary and $6 mill roster bonus, but $1 mill of the roster bonus was guaranteed. Ragland? Jeez, you're worried about the $750K he costs us in dead cap when we saved $1.7 mill last year and this year in salary and workout bonus? Please.

You've just as completely missed the point with the guys you mentioned in your second paragraph. By signing and cutting Coleman they incurred $2.955 mill in dead cap ... and saved $2.955 mill in salary. Zero net cap effect. McCarron cost us $4.1 mill in dead cap but the Raiders took on his salaries of $3.9 mill over this year and next, a net cost of $200K against the cap. Newhouse also has a net cap effect of zero, and we got a draft pick for him and for McCarron. Same with Kerley, zero net cap effect. The net cap effect of those four contracts was $200K and they got draft picks in trade.

None of those things makes your point. We were in serious cap trouble before those moves were made. Making those moves got us into a position where next year we're not just out of trouble, but actually in great cap shape.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, The_Dude said:

To me it was obvious. The reason was because his accuracy is pinpoint with sloppy footwork and throwing from multiple platforms. Do ya get it? His arm talent is so good, it doesn’t matter if his feet are set. And he’s pinpoint, and puts it where it needs to go. You could see all that watching him in college. So if you got a guy who’s arm talent allows him to throw into double coverage and get away with it convincingly....that’s talent you can’t teach. That’s Brett Favre. And McDermott said ‘I’m good, thanks.’  

While I sympathize with your idea that maybe we should have picked up Mahomes, I doubt McDermott's thought was "I'm good."

Probably more like, "I'm not a personnel expert. Should I stake my career on picking up a QB recommended (or not recommended - we don't know) by Doug Whaley, the guy who loved EJ Manuel? Or should I wait a year for a draft that's supposed to be loaded with QB talent when I have (hopefully) a talented GM on board to help make the call?"

Edited by Thurman#1

I think he'll do fine with the defense.  The only way he succeeds is if he finds an innovative offensive coordinator and Josh Allen excels in that scheme.  I hated the Daboll hire as soon as I did a quick google search and found how abhorrent his past record was as an NFL offensive coordinator.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, sven233 said:

How many points has he scored?  I was talking about skilled players, moron.  And how good is he, really?  Just because he is the best lineman on a team that has terrible lineman doesn't make him great.  Look, if you an others want to blindly follow this coaching staff and front office, that's fine.  But I, along with many others, will wait for some type of evidence they know what they are doing.   You do realize that Rex Ryan and his clown show has a better record than McDermott through the same amount of games, right?

Who the hell are you calling moron?!?Hey dickface, you asked for 1 offensive player. Way to change the narrative.

Moron!? Really ?!?! What an pussycat! Go suck someone's balls!!! Keyboard pussycat!

Edited by Dopey

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes. $32 mill in dead cap space by trading away Dareus, Glenn, Taylor and Ragland. But you do know that we also saved us a lot of money at the same time, right? We saved around $4 mill last year and $9.9 mill this year and $40 mill over the next few years. The cap trouble we were in was going to continue to haunt us down the line unless they cleaned out a bunch of stuff, and Dareus was given a contract far too large for his contribution from around 2016 and onwards. Trading Glenn saved us $9.25 mill in salary and $2 mill in roster bonus this year, not to mention around $20 mill over the next couple of years. For a team that has a pretty good LT on a rookie contract, that's money well-saved. The $16 mill Tyrod cost us in dead cap is almost exactly what we saved ... $10 mill salary and $6 mill roster bonus, but $1 mill of the roster bonus was guaranteed. Ragland? Jeez, you're worried about the $750K he costs us in dead cap when we saved $1.7 mill last year and this year in salary and workout bonus? Please.

You've just as completely missed the point with the guys you mentioned in your second paragraph. By signing and cutting Coleman they incurred $2.955 mill in dead cap ... and saved $2.955 mill in salary. Zero net cap effect. McCarron cost us $4.1 mill in dead cap but the Raiders took on his salaries of $3.9 mill over this year and next, a net cost of $200K against the cap. Newhouse also has a net cap effect of zero, and we got a draft pick for him and for McCarron. Same with Kerley, zero net cap effect. The net cap effect of those four contracts was $200K and they got draft picks in trade.

None of those things makes your point. We were in serious cap trouble before those moves were made. Making those moves got us into a position where next year we're not just out of trouble, but actually in great cap shape.

Are you Terry Pegula's financial godfather (aka Russ Brandon's ghost), making sure he doesn't spend unnecessary dollars to put a competitive team on the field?  After all, not only does the tv revenue cover the biggest expense a team has -- player salaries -- but Bills fans have repeatedly proven over the decades that they'll support the team no matter how bad it.

Coleman's dead cap hit is $3.5486 million according to Overthecap.com, and it's dead cap money that Bills cheerleaders are constantly using as an excuse for why the Bills can't afford better players, so you are the one "missing the point" -- and trying to change the conversation because you have no real defense for the Bills "process" of replacing talent with trash to save a few dollars. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is so wrong. First of all this Zero net cap effect thing you keep saying. If The Bills don't trade for Coleman there's zero net cap effect. Once we trade for him we have his salary on the books, and once released yes his salary is gone but we incur the cap penalty. So would we have 3mil in cap penalty if we hadn't traded for him? Same goes for all the others we signed then released, but those aren't even the main issue.

My real problem is with Darues, Glen, Watkins, and Ragland. First of all 3 of those guys were on rookie deals. Ragland had never touched the field so we basically traded a 2nd round pick for a future 4th. As for the rest, you're saying how much money we save in the future, and while that's true the counter argument is that we could still afford them even if they are overpaid. They are talented young players and we have a QB on a rookie deal. You say we are in great shape cap wise, but there's no way (hopefully) we can spend 90million on whatever free agents are left over after NYJ and other teams get the pick of the litter. We could absolutely afford Dareus instead of Star and Watkins even on a franchise tag over whatever aging WR decides to come here in the offseason.

But that's their choice the wanted their own players. This cap situation is completely their choice. Hopefully it works out, but to say they had no choice because of the situation Whaley left them in is dishonest.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

While I sympathize with your idea that maybe we should have picked up Mahomes, I doubt McDermott's thought was "I'm good."

Probably more like, "I'm not a personnel expert. Should I stake my career on picking up a QB recommended (or not recommended - we don't know) by Doug Whaley, the guy who loved EJ Manuel? Or should I wait a year for a draft that's supposed to be loaded with QB talent when I have (hopefully) a talented GM on board to help make the call?"

How does this revisionist history happen so quickly? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but Whaley did NOT draft EJ. Buddy Nix did. Buddy Nix said 'whoever is our top rated passer is the pick' and it didn't matter to the old fool that EJ was both the top rated, but also with a 3rd round grade. 

23 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Competent doesn’t mean good it means at least capable of scoring around 20 points points a game and not being ranked in the bottom 5 of the league in every major category. Now we’ve become one of the worst offenses of all time, DUDE. 

DUDE - you still didn't describe sheet Tierod couldn't muster 20 points many games......you had many others carrying your water for you.  DUDE.  GTFU

Edited by Kwai San

11 hours ago, Kwai San said:

DUDE - you still didn't describe sheet Tierod couldn't muster 20 points many games......you had many others carrying your water for you.  DUDE.  GTFU

Yeah, we only set a record for consecutive 20+ point home games while he was QB... Seriously, it's time to move on.

They have no shot of putting together a good offense in year 3. We may only win 2 games this year, it's possible they get axed after this season even though we know the Pegulas don't want to do that. 

Honestly, I didn't like the Allen pick. But he's here. Is this regime the regime that can get the most out of Allen? If the answer is no, let them go. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:19 PM, buffalostu2 said:

It is time for us to stop linking these guys together just because it is convenient. They have completely different roles where they have to interact, agree, and coexist.  Does anyone here think they spend more than one hour a day together?  

We have a good coach, not perfect, but pretty good.   Our baby GM is not looking good at all IMO but the jury is still out.  

It's irrelevant to separate them.........if one goes the other goes with him.    

They are a package deal........make no mistake.    

McD won't get to hire another GM and another GM won't want anything to do with a once organizationally omnipotent defensive minded-HC with a bad enough track record to get his own hand-picked GM fired.

• Like (+1) 2

50/50 right now.  They have the QB they want and the MLB they want.  Young guys that should grow and improve.  They have the cap space freed up and draft picks to use for players or bargaining chips.  If they make the right moves this coming offseason they should be in good shape.  If not they won't.

No, not really. Their success and the success of this team is likely going to be dictated by how well Allen is. So far, it’s not encouraging. 

I dont expect us to do well in FA with all that cap space. Too many teams have money to spend as well and I don’t see us being an attractive destination. I assume we’ll be handing out bloated contracts this summer.

They are going to need to absolutely dominate the draft and get a bunch of talent. Even then, I still see us being a mediocre team with too many young players at key positions. 

Don't expect a turn-around this season, but long-term, yeah, I have confidence these guys can do it. Gotta give them time. Everyone wants to dog this regime and kick them out while they're in the middle of the exact thing another new regime would be doing. We wanna quit on this rebuild so another regime can come in and do a rebuild of the rebuild? Perpetually hiring a new staff every other year is a surefire way to stay in the basement for the foreseeable future. 

I'm confident they have a well thought out plan and are executing it to a T and will be allowed to complete it. That in and of itself is new territory here.

Whether it works or not who knows. A lot will depend on how fast Allen develops and how good he ends up being. Nobody knows yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

I have zero confidence in Beane. I don't think he knows what he's doing. I don't think he has a plan. I don't believe he knows how to build a roster. I don't believe he knows how to judge talent, draft picks or free agents. So far he's reminding me of Donahoe where he just gets athletes and hopes they progress. I do believe McDermott can make a good roster look like the Bengals or Vikings or Steelers.

Edited by CuddyDark

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I have zero confidence in Beane. I don't think he knows what he's doing. I don't think he has a plan. I don't believe he knows how to build a roster. I do believe McDermott can make a good roster look like the Bengals or Vikings or Steelers.

Despite them talking constantly about having a plan, they have no plan.  Got it.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Despite them talking constantly about having a plan, they have no plan.  Got it.

Talking about something and doing it are two different things. Or as they used to say, talk is cheap. Tell me what their plan is? They believed this team was going to be good. They believed they would go deeper into the play offs with this team. They tried to add to the team from last year.

It's only true believes who are projecting the teams failure into "They wanted to have a rebuild year." What makes people say this I have zero idea. This is only a transition year in the minds of fans who want it to finally work, this time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Talking about something and doing it are two different things. Or as they used to say, talk is cheap. Tell me what their plan is? They believed this team was going to be good. They believed they would go deeper into the play offs with this team. They tried to add to the team from last year.

It's only true believes who are projecting the teams failure into "They wanted to have a rebuild year." What makes people say this I have zero idea. This is only a transition year in the minds of fans who want it to finally work, this time.

They have discussed their plan constantly. They want to be competitive short term while building a team that is a contender long term.  Thee were competitive last year, as in a playoff team.   They talked about clearing cap space.  They have.  They talked about how you can't win in the league without a QB.  They drafted one. 

This year sucks so far because they are taking a huge cap hit to clear space, and because they screwed up a couple things, like not getting a guy like Anderson here earlier.  But don't come on here and say they have no plan.  They do.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they have no plan.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:50 PM, dickleyjones said:

turn what around? most everything that has happened is by design. this year is a wash, we all know it, yet some want to melt down about it and pretend McBeane meant to put a good complete team on the field this year.

My problem with this theory is the Quarterback.  Allen does not look good and if you say they knew that why was Peterman the only thing between him and starting.  My confidence is completely shaken.  Take the trade up for Zay and Edmunds and it's flirting with tire fire status. 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They have discussed their plan constantly. They want to be competitive short term while building a team that is a contender long term.  Thee were competitive last year, as in a playoff team.   They talked about clearing cap space.  They have.  They talked about how you can't win in the league without a QB.  They drafted one. 

This year sucks so far because they are taking a huge cap hit to clear space, and because they screwed up a couple things, like not getting a guy like Anderson here earlier.  But don't come on here and say they have no plan.  They do.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they have no plan.

These are all your idea of their plan. Their actions say different then your ideas. They believed in this team. They did not take a step back. That's your summation.

• Like (+1) 1