McBeane Confidence

McBeane  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

There is an article out there that states Pegula was high on Mahomes and Whaley was fired for trading out. A couple of them actually. So well known facts are not actually facts. It’s just people’s opinion that they want to believe and becomes gospel. Truth is that no one really knows much of any facts. 

Thatd be wrong. 100% wrong. 

28 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Thatd be wrong. 100% wrong. 

How do you know unless you were privy to conversations?

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the final straw for former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley came during the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday, when he traded the No. 10 selection to the Kansas City Chiefs rather than draft quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

According to that report, owner Terry Pegula "loved" Mahomes and "stumped hard" for him.

Whaley was fired by the Bills on Sunday.

There have been conflicting reports about Whaley's dismissal, however, with plenty of speculation before the draft that the general manager was on his way out. Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News reported in March that new head coach Sean McDermott was essentially running football operations.

However, Mike Rodak of ESPN.com reported Sunday that, "Despite Whaley being fired immediately after the draft, Pegula said McDermott did not 'lead the charge' in the draft process and that Whaley 'put the whole thing together.' Pegula added the draft 'went pretty well,' but when questioned why Whaley was fired one day later, Pegula said, 'We have certain aspects we need to get a little better in.'"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707036-doug-whaley-passing-on-patrick-mahomes-rumored-to-be-final-straw-before-firing

A report from Jason La Canfora from CBS suggested the "final straw" for Whaley was trading back from the No. 10 pick in the first round to No. 27. La Canfora reported that Pegula badly wanted Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who the Chiefs selected with the Bills' No. 10 pick. 

Former Bills G.M. Doug Whaley broke his silence after being fired three weeks ago. Some would say he shouldn’t have.

Appearing on SiriusXM NFL Radio (via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com), Whaley made this claim regarding the trade that saw the Bills drop from No. 10 in round one to No. 27: “As a parting gift, we left them with two [first-round picks] next year.”

So now who is 100% wrong?

Edited by Scott7975

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

How do you know unless you were privy to conversations?

Because it doesn’t make sense. 

We we all knew before that draft Whaley was a dead-man walking. The only reason he wasn’t let go before the draft is because ya fire people after the draft so they can’t reveal your board. 

If youre firing the guy do you let somebody who isn’t gonna be with the organization run the draft? Hell no. 

Further, if the owner wanted Mahomes, we wouldn’t suck right now because we’d have Mahomes. 

I dont need to be a fly on the wall to read between the lines. 

McDermott passed on Mahomes. McDermott will lose his job eventually due to bad offense. McDermott basically set his career up for failure that night. 

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

We we all knew before that draft Whaley was a dead-man walking. The only reason he wasn’t let go before the draft is because ya fire people after the draft so they can’t reveal your board. 

If youre firing the guy do you let somebody who isn’t gonna be with the organization run the draft? Hell no. 

Further, if the owner wanted Mahomes, we wouldn’t suck right now because we’d have Mahomes. 

McDermott passed on Mahomes. McDermott will lose his job eventually due to bad offense. McDermott basically set his career up for failure that night. 

I added to the post with article quotes from various sources including Whaley himself.

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

If you’re getting tired or pointing out that Whaley was the GM when Buffalo passed on Mahomes then people are getting tired of you spouting idiotic nonsense. 

Yes, Whaley was still employed by the Bills during that draft. No, he was not running it or calling it. McDermott was in charge of that draft. 

Whaley was only there to ensure he kept his mouth shut for secrecy till after the draft. 

This is a well known fact. 

Its a well known "fact" really?

I mean...it absolutely could have happened that way no doubt....I really dont know enough evidence has been presented to call it a fact.

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Excuse me but....no....just no

We would not in fact "not suck" if we had Mahommes and I dont understand how anything you see from either team would lead you to believe that.....Mahommes would have been starting his first year....would have been playing with our horrible supporting cast....he would be behind our OL.......and he would not have the offensive QB guru coach that he has now.

I say that Mahommes would be looking like a raw bust if he would have fell into our situation.

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

Did you give Whaley credit for the trade down and White pick before Mahomes started breaking records? Or was that McDermott's genius defensive mind? Be honest 

Um. No. Whaley made the trade and pick. I'm not going to sit here and go "Beane should be fired for passing on Mahomes" when he was working for Damn Carolina at the time.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I say that Mahommes would be looking like a raw bust if he would have fell into our situation.

No, you’re wrong. Mahomes was a HoF worthy talent coming out. If he were on the Bills, we’d be significantly better. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I added to the post with article quotes from various sources including Whaley himself.

O

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

No, you’re wrong. Mahomes was a HoF worthy talent coming out. If he were on the Bills, we’d be significantly better. 

O

Not sure what that means.  For the record, you were one of my favorite posters on BBmB.  We are going to butt heads on this one because  I don't like the word "facts" when none of us truly know the facts... just reports and opinions.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Please tell me how in the world there is any evidence to this....unless its just a horrible attempt at sarcasm

I called it. I called it many times while he was coming out. I loudly, vocally, and often stated. I said he was a better prospect than Andrew Luck. I was right. As per usual. I’m better at this than other people. I can watch college QBs and I know the good ones. I called Mahomes the best prospect in 20 years. McDumbass obviously is not as good at QB scouting as I. 

Just now, The_Dude said:

I called it. I called it many times while he was coming out. I loudly, vocally, and often stated. I said he was a better prospect than Andrew Luck. I was right. As per usual. I’m better at this than other people. I can watch college QBs and I know the good ones. I called Mahomes the best prospect in 20 years. McDumbass obviously is not as good at QB scouting as I. 

LOL.....okaaaaayyy

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure what that means.  For the record, you were one of my favorite posters on BBmB.  We are going to butt heads on this one because  I don't like the word "facts" when none of us truly know the facts... just reports and opinions.

Thanks, Scott. 

Im arrogant and combative about this because when they passed on Mahomes — that is literally my WORST sports memory. Haunts me more than wide right. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

LOL.....okaaaaayyy

I’m not gonna go through this thing and found where I wrote that, but i wrote it on many birds, many times. I was made fun of many times for it. But I knew I was right then like I do now. It’s frustrating being better than your own team at this. 

16 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Thanks, Scott. 

Im arrogant and combative about this because when they passed on Mahomes — that is literally my WORST sports memory. Haunts me more than wide right. 

I’m not gonna go through this thing and found where I wrote that, but i wrote it on many birds, many times. I was made fun of many times for it. But I knew I was right then like I do now. It’s frustrating being better than your own team at this. 

I get it.  I knew nothing about him because I don't watch college ball... but after seeing him, I wish we had him too.

37 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I get it.  I knew nothing about him because I don't watch college ball... but after seeing him, I wish we had him too.

To me it was obvious. The reason was because his accuracy is pinpoint with sloppy footwork and throwing from multiple platforms. Do ya get it? His arm talent is so good, it doesn’t matter if his feet are set. And he’s pinpoint, and puts it where it needs to go. You could see all that watching him in college. So if you got a guy who’s arm talent allows him to throw into double coverage and get away with it convincingly....that’s talent you can’t teach. That’s Brett Favre. And McDermott said ‘I’m good, thanks.’  

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its a well known "fact" really?

I mean...it absolutely could have happened that way no doubt....I really dont know enough evidence has been presented to call it a fact.

Excuse me but....no....just no

We would not in fact "not suck" if we had Mahommes and I dont understand how anything you see from either team would lead you to believe that.....Mahommes would have been starting his first year....would have been playing with our horrible supporting cast....he would be behind our OL.......and he would not have the offensive QB guru coach that he has now.

You gotta be doing the "Mahommes" spelling thing on purpose. 

No.  The acquisitions of Kelvin Benjamin and Lotulelei show you exactly what we're dealing with here.

These fools will overpay for Devin Funchess this offseason, deem the WR position "all set" and the Bills will roll into the 2019 season with Funchess and Zay as #1 & #2.  Watch.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

With a fancy poll and everything! 

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I will be honest. I really have no idea how to feel about this subject, so I lean towards McBeane being ANOTHER failed regime in Buffalo.

What are your honest thoughts?

WOW! Somebody’s glass is half empty.   ?

Culture over regime.

But no the second the drafted Allen, it marked the beginning of the end of the McBeane era. When the chips finally fell right, they were in charge when defied odds and made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.

Edited by uticaclub

If they hit on QB then it will be all be fine. If I am beane, am I hedging on Allen by picking another this year? Absolutely. Peterman will be out of the NFL and DA is supposed to be holding a clipboard. 

If they draft another QB then I will have more confidence. It is still VERY early in Beane’s tenure. 

In the other thread with the poll I voted 20%..

I think if people are honest, based on what we are witnessing this year, more chance he fails than succeeds..

McBeane  needs to have a lot of things go right for then with Allen working out and a great draft and Free Agency in the off season..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I will be honest. I really have no idea how to feel about this subject, so I lean towards McBeane being ANOTHER failed regime in Buffalo.

turn what around? most everything that has happened is by design. this year is a wash, we all know it, yet some want to melt down about it and pretend McBeane meant to put a good complete team on the field this year.

Edited by dickleyjones
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want to like McBeane, ultimately time will tell if they can produce the baby or not.  21 Rookies and 1st or 2nd year guys on the 53.

If guys like Wyatt Teller, Ike Boettger, Cam Phillips, Zay Jones, and Ray Ray develop; I like our chances. Boettger was a beast prior to his injury in college. I am not a huge Allen fan, but give him some help, keep working with Palmer in the offseason, find a QB coach with experience FFS, and pick up a bedrock center this draft (i.e. Tyler Biadasz) -- Allen's physical traits do not grow on trees, and you just have to love the kids attitude. 

I want to believe they will get it done. I sure as hell ain't going to start judging them half way through their second season of ball. Assinine.  Too many wanna be Miss Cleo's that are Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

They have dug themselves such a hole on offense, I don't know if they will able to get it to a respectable place in the time they need to before the fans and media really start to come for them.  If McDermott thinks this is pressure, he ain't seen nothing yet.

I am actually.....

He isnt doing it in a very popular way around here.....ppl would like like to continue to see 7 and 9 and 8 and 8 forever and be medicore and irrelevent......

No.....he is actually rebiulding the team......from the bottom up.   And that takes patience which many here just do not have......

So they will bash him....then jump right on the bangwagon when the team turns the corner

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes. This team overachieved last season and is doing pretty much what I expected this season.

It will be fine.

Plus it’s entertaining seeing all of the terrible posts by terrible posters at the moment.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 4

McDermott came in here with an I'm smart, wholesome and a no nonsense coach attitude.

He flexed his I'm in charge here muscles by ridding the locker room of video games, pool table and players not up to his standard.

His borrowed pearl of wisdom "culture over strategy" was meant to impress and buy time, but he's looking like a sad sack worse than Rex as time goes by.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The HC has had 2 years to try and fix Whaley/Rex Ryan's mistakes. Beane has only been GM for a year and we've all seen what a good HC can do as we snapped a 17 year playoff drought. I think 2019 will define who this regime really is and my money is that we will have a contending team in the very near future and again I don't agree with everything they've done but the future looks bright imo.

It is time for us to stop linking these guys together just because it is convenient. They have completely different roles where they have to interact, agree, and coexist.  Does anyone here think they spend more than one hour a day together?  

We have a good coach, not perfect, but pretty good.   Our baby GM is not looking good at all IMO but the jury is still out.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am cautiously optimistic.  Beane has made some moves that I initially did not agree with, but they later turned out to be smart moves.  This has been a difficult season, but one that we expected.

I am hopeful that we will start to see the team of the future start to come into focus next season.  IF we are not serious contenders for a playoff spot by the 2020 season, then it will be time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

When it was reported that McBeane and their hand-picked scouting staff had identified Josh Allen as the top QB in the draft, the guy they'd take even with the Number One overall pick, my confidence in their ability to professionally judge offensive talent plummeted. I mean, really, the top QB? Then, their continuing inability to properly identify offensive talent at WR confirmed (for me at least) that they were in way over their heads. I also scratch my head over their propensity to give every available Carolina rum dumb a contract, the failure to shore up the QB position with a vet heading into what was going to be a red shirt year, the supposed insistence on a fundamentalist Christian locker room, the foolish running up of the salary cap debt...all of this undermines any support I might have once had that these guys.

• Thank you (+1) 2