We All Know The Bills Issues....Now Share Your Solutions

BuffaloRush

So many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems.  so many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems?

Let’s start with the offense of line. The play for many of the games this year have been offensive. But again how do you fix this problem? Many have suggested taking Connor McDermitt and using him to replace Jordan Matthews. How about removing John Miller and replacing him with Wyatt Teller? But as you saw today when McDermott was there he was absolutely owned off the edge. So how do you fix the offense of line?

Bills quite possibly have the worst wide receivers in the NFL. They either are invisible Zay Jones nine factors like Andre Holmes or drop passes when they get a chance to make a play like Kelvin Benjamin. So what’s the solution here? Do you honestly think that Rishard Matthews could give this receiving team a boost? And would you try to draft pick to bring him on the team? What is the solution at wide receiver?

Remember I’m looking for solutions for this season. We’re not talking next year. So any suggestions that you have make have to occur over the span of the next few weeks.

And any suggestions that you may have to be realistic. It’s not like you can just trade for a Julio Jones.

So take a chance and come up with the best plan for the Bills moving forward

Everyone wants to whinge but no one has a good, realistic solution.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

So many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems.  so many posts hear about the many struggles that the bills have had this season. It’s very easy to point out what the problems are with this team. But the bigger question is how do you fix these problems?

Let’s start with the offense of line. The play for many of the games this year have been offensive. But again how do you fix this problem? Many have suggested taking Connor McDermitt and using him to replace Jordan Matthews. How about removing John Miller and replacing him with Wyatt Teller? But as you saw today when McDermott was there he was absolutely owned off the edge. So how do you fix the offense of line?

Bills quite possibly have the worst wide receivers in the NFL. They either are invisible Zay Jones nine factors like Andre Holmes or drop passes when they get a chance to make a play like Kelvin Benjamin. So what’s the solution here? Do you honestly think that Rishard Matthews could give this receiving team a boost? And would you try to draft pick to bring him on the team? What is the solution at wide receiver?

Remember I’m looking for solutions for this season. We’re not talking next year. So any suggestions that you have make have to occur over the span of the next few weeks.

And any suggestions that you may have to be realistic. It’s not like you can just trade for a Julio Jones.

We have to start to build up the offense in the draft and free agency.  This regime has been all about defense.  Not to get off topic but did it appear they moved Shaq Lawson to the inside?  

I'd say bench Miller, elevate Teller and the guy they just brought in. Let them battle it out for that position.

as far as game planning goes, focus more on quick-hitter routes, flat passes and running the ball.

also, i'd take the sheet away from frasier full time and have mcD make the d calls

• Like (+1) 1

Continue to bottom out, secure #1 overall pick, and select a guy who can be our franchise QB.

Allen isn't the answer.

For now, I realize most will disagree with that and the point is certainly debatable.

As time goes on, that will change. 

EDIT:  liquidate Shady if we can get a draft pick for him.  Trade any other veteran we can get draft picks for as well.  Guys like shady will not be contributors here if and when we are good. 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

There isn't much to do to fix the problems short term.  Mid to long term:

-Hope Allen progresses and gets better, turns into a legit top 10 QB

-finish with a very high draft pick.  Find a taker for that pick and trade down and hopefully end up with 2 first rounders (at least one in the top 15 or better) and maybe an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Stock up with picks to fill holes.

-Spend money in free agency next year SMARTLY.  No high priced, older free agents. Target guys who are under 30...that may not be stars but are quality above average players.

-Stop spending the majority of money and high picks on Defense.  Keep the defense respectable...maybe even good, but give 80%+ of your attention to making this offense a top 10 unit.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Continue to bottom out, secure #1 overall pick, and select a guy who can be our franchise QB.

Allen isn't the answer.

For now, I realize most will disagree with that and the point is certainly debatable.

EDIT:  liquidate Shady if we can get a draft pick for him.  Trade any other veteran we can get draft picks for as well.  Guys like shady will not be contributors here if and when we are good. 

You could make that statement about the starting QB for every team in the league and you'd be right more than you'd be wrong.  You may be right about Allen, the odds are in your favor, but the one thing I do know for certain is you have absolutely no idea yourself whether he will work out to be great or not, but you think you know more than people who do this for a living and the odds are in your favor of being correct.

• Like (+1) 1

Wonder how the right Josh would do on this team?

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There isn't much to do to fix the problems short term.  Mid to long term:

-Hope Allen progresses and gets better, turns into a legit top 10 QB

-finish with a very high draft pick.  Find a taker for that pick and trade down and hopefully end up with 2 first rounders (at least one in the top 15 or better) and maybe an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Stock up with picks to fill holes.

-Spend money in free agency next year SMARTLY.  No high priced, older free agents. Target guys who are under 30...that may not be stars but are quality above average players.

-Stop spending the majority of money and high picks on Defense.  Keep the defense respectable...maybe even good, but give 80%+ of your attention to making this offense a top 10 unit.

I think this is the plan all along. I don't think they intend to get the first pick and weather they spend the money wisely is yet to be seen.

I personally have faith in this regime and Allen. Not going to declare it one way or the other but plating the building in gold one week and burning it down the next is what makes these boards special.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen isn't the answer.

Mitch Trubisky just threw 6 touchdowns in a game. 

Do everything possible to take pressure off of Allen.

• Run the ball more often, even if you don't get a ton of yards.
  • Keep more people in to pass protect so that you can take some shots downfield.
  • Give the protection adjustment responsibilities to the center, if possible.
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen isn't the answer.

Agreed with everything but the Allen part.

It’s way to early to judge him with these group of players.

What makes you so sure?

Edited by McBean

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

lemme guess... you took the Bills +10 for 5k this week.

additionally, i didn't know posts could hear.... learn something new everday i guess.

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Let’s start with the offense of line. The play for many of the games this year have been offensive. But again how do you fix this problem? Many have suggested taking Connor McDermitt and using him to replace Jordan Matthews Mills. How about removing John Miller and replacing him with Wyatt Teller? But as you saw today when McDermott was there he was absolutely owned off the edge. So how do you fix the offense of line?

One fixed the other a mystery...Teller may have potential long term but his pass blocking is worst than any inside lineman that is currently starting. He needs time to develop, imo.

First, I'll state the obvious, the offense needs an identity.

They have to figure out what plays can the players execute effectively regardless of the defensive front. Unfortunately, this will take time to find out...It starts with Allen's development and learning when to get out of bad play calls against the defensive look.

Once this step is accomplished, step two:

Identify and go get the personnel to fit the identity of the offense; FA's , draft or development from PS.

Ideally, I'd prefer the use of free agency to fill a team need by using players that have experience in the league . And use the draft to get the best players available that fill a team profile of the position with one caveat, get skill position players that are typically  high cost in free agency ie., QB, OT, Pass Rushers, CB, WR. 

It's a longer process but it's the right way...Allen will learn after this year through experience, how to read schemes like today & to change to a better play or call timeout.

Step 3:

Hope & pray that the HC has enough time for all this to come together! 

• Like (+1) 2

Guys, he mentions what can be done NOW. We all know drafts and all and etc.

To me, much better offensive play calling. Small passes to the flats, reverses, 2 back sets, more involvement of the TE, basically mask some of the weaknesses of the OLine and get Allen and the offense into a groove. Don't ditch the run. Have a few max protection plays for deep throws to have the opposing defenses always wary of Allen's arm. A LOT of things went right last week, but many of the successes can be reproduced too! 

Need much better coaching to adapt to blitzes! Sure Allen has misses some assignment calls, but the OLine has been guilty too, and mostly, when have the wideouts/TE changed their routes  to be a quick dump off? 

With the salary cap left, no WR they can sign? Bryant is a diva but maybe can be had for just the reminder of the year.

• Like (+1) 3

Cut the following and take a chance on some rookies or other teams practice squad players.  These guys suck:

FB - Patrick Dimarco. 

OL - Miller.

OL - McDermott.

OL - Mills.

QB - Peterman.

WR - Holmes.

WR - Benjamin.

Trade Shady and Hughes for a good, young, OL that can start for Bills, but is 2nd string elsewhere.

Sign a vet QB.

1. I would not not have Allen in the shotgun, ever, this season.  He more equally effective under center, and since this is a learning year, it is better for development.  

2. I would try to get the offense to the line of scrimmage much faster.   Allen would benefit from getting feedback from the OC to help learn picking up some of the blitzes (assuming the OC actually understands the defense 

3. I would do away with empty backfields on all downs.  Its not necessary, and we don't have any good receivers, so there is no point in not having McCoy or Ivory on the field for every offensive play. 

4. Which ever tight end is best at blocking should be on the field 70% of the downs, none of them are effective receivers. 

5. I would try to coach Allen into not doing the spin to the blindside move. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Talkin Proud said:

My solution is the same as it's been for 25 years. Big men win football games. Draft O line. This upcoming draft get online in first two rounds, then D line in rounds 3-4. 

Look to FA for wide receivers. 

This. Idc how just build the baddest O line possible. Itll make the entire offense better 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen isn't the answer.

While it’s too early to tell for Allen, I agree with trying to trade shady for a pick. Regardless of whether Allen pans out or not, draft offense, give him a crew and if he doesn’t pan out, let’s hope the next guy we bring in can get right to work with the weapons we built. Build a WR corps and an Oline that can perform at an NFL level each week.

Address defense in FA as much as possible. We desperately need depth in our secondary - a stout DB2 is an absolute must have next to White. Depth is always needed at that position but our holes are obvious. Contributory to that is need to fill out the DLine. While Edmunds develops we need consistent pass rush pressure and run stoppage, but it needs to start on the line.

Edited by ctk232