We All Know The Bills Issues....Now Share Your Solutions

BuffaloRush

Just now, SoTier said:

I agree.  McDermott is a decent coach but he should never have been given control of personnel.  Beane has absolutely no experience in player personnel, and the scouting staff brought in to replace the scouting personnel who were fired shortly after Whaley was canned are apparently incompetent.

Where has this every been stated?  It's been stated by the team that Beane has control over the 53 man roster.  You claiming that McDermott has "control over the personnel" is pure conjecture without any proof.

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Cut the following and take a chance on some rookies or other teams practice squad players.  These guys suck:

FB - Patrick Dimarco. 

OL - Miller.

OL - McDermott.

OL - Mills.

QB - Peterman.

WR - Holmes.

WR - Benjamin.

Trade Shady and Hughes for a good, young, OL that can start for Bills, but is 2nd string elsewhere.

Sign a vet QB.

Dimarco is the only one getting push in the run game, they need to use him more .

They could start by having Daboll figure out how to run the ball.  McCoy had 5 runs today and averaged 4.8 yards.  You can develop a pretty good base for an offense if you ran the ball 25 times and averaged 4.8 yards a carry.  It would help the offensive line and let Allen play-action more effectively.

They could stop running Allen.  For as bad as the Bills offense is, it gets immediately worse if Allen gets hurt and Peterman gets the starter's job.

They could be more aggressive on defense.  The defense is much better when it creates pressure than when it sits back in zones.

They could start stopping teams in the red zone.  They're allowing TDs on 90% of red zone tries right now.  McDermott has to figure this out.  The defensive personnel is probably better than it was last season.  Again, being more aggressive could help here, but it seems that more can be done with the personnel packages.

In terms of adding talent, it seems as if any signing at QB, even on a short term deal is a better option at backup QB than Peterman.  McDermott has to face reality so that the front office can make the move, because, the way he is currently running the team now, it's only a matter of time when Allen gets hurt.

So, just based on observations, the defense is better when it blitzes, the offense hasn't run nearly enough, and Allen's health situation is a ticking time bomb.  Better schemes and a one year deal for a QB like Lynch could help this season.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Where has this every been stated?  It's been stated by the team that Beane has control over the 53 man roster.  You claiming that McDermott has "control over the personnel" is pure conjecture without any proof.

Keep being disingenuous.  McDermott won the power struggle with Whaley before the 2017 draft, and hasn't relinquished his power over the roster since.  The claim that McDermott and Beane "are joined at the hip" is simply code for McDermott making personnel decisions and the GM doing the legwork to acquire said players.

33 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's what a competent HC/GM duo would have done.  Instead, McDermott and Beane stripped virtually all the talent from the offense, and put Allen in a position that sets him up to fail.  The Bills need to significantly upgrade the OL by adding at least a couple of higher caliber interior OLers in FA.  They need all new WRs.  They need a starting caliber RB.  What I expect the Dynamic Duo of McDermott and Beane to do in the off-season is to spend most of their FA money and draft capital on the defensive side of the ball.

I think they bought their own hype and felt they could coach a bunch of second stringers like they did last year.

They should have realized losing 3 pro bowl level players from the Oline could not just be easily replaced with backups.

The WR situation was bad last year and should have been addressed but again they figured they could get by.

You should ALWAYS surround a franchise QB with talent so  he can grow properly and not learn bad habits running for his life.

I still believe in McBeane, hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

We don't think they'll get atleast 5 years....we know they'll get atleast 5 years.  DEAL WITH IT!!!

I enjoy you calling out someone mere minutes after you did similar if not more egregious 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think they bought their own hype and felt they could coach a bunch of second stringers like they did last year.

They should have realized losing 3 pro bowl level players from the Oline could not just be easily replaced with backups.

The WR situation was bad last year and should have been addressed but again they figured they could get by.

You should ALWAYS surround a franchise QB with talent so  he can grow properly and not learn bad habits running for his life.

I still believe in McBeane, hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

Not that I agree with it, but the premise was that McCarron or Nate would start while Allen would "sit & learn". Still, that OLine and WR corp needed to be addressed.

It's clear most of you feel this is hopeless if you can only talk of the past or next year's draft. All fine and dandy but this thread was to be about the present.

The difference between winning and losing is often very small, so even this season is not done yet.

The NFL has to do like hockey. It's not normal it's AUTOMATICALLY better to be 2-14 than 7-9 for the draft. The NHL lottery is a great idea. You guys really want to watch a 1-15 season just so the team drafts higher?

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Keep being disingenuous.  McDermott won the power struggle with Whaley before the 2017 draft, and hasn't relinquished his power over the roster since.  The claim that McDermott and Beane "are joined at the hip" is simply code for McDermott making personnel decisions and the GM doing the legwork to acquire said players.

I've never once read any credible source in the media make this claim.  This is pure conjecture and speculation on your part and you have ZERO evidence to back it up, other than your opinion

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This feels an awful lot like the debacles in Denver with McDaniels and Philly with Chip Kelly. 

Rookie head coaches with too much power who gutted their teams after the 1st year to bring in "their guys", who wound up with terrible rosters that couldn't compete for years. 

Does it end with Super Bowls for the next regime, like with those teams? 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Last year McDermott looked like a decent coach, but their team building has been atrocious. 

They came on the job, got rid of all our best players, replaced them with bums and have mostly used all our draft picks on horrible players, and the result is one of the worst rosters in the league. 

They have one more year to improve things. If this roster isn't significantly better at the end of 2019 we need to pull the plug on this experiment. 

White

Dawkins

Milano

Allen

Edmunds

Phillips

Johnson

From 2 drafts. White, Dawkins and Milano are solid starters. The other 4 are rookies that are contributing already. I'd say that's pretty good drafting.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Not that I agree with it, but the premise was that McCarron or Nate would start while Allen would "sit & learn". Still, that OLine and WR corp needed to be addressed.

It's clear most of you feel this is hopeless if you can only talk of the past or next year's draft. All fine and dandy but this thread was to be about the present.

The difference between winning and losing is often very small, so even this season is not done yet.

The NFL has to do like hockey. It's not normal it's AUTOMATICALLY better to be 2-14 than 7-9 for the draft. The NHL lottery is a great idea. You guys really want to watch a 1-15 season just so the team drafts higher?

I'm a realist, this season is done.

there is no overcoming the lack of talent on this team.

If you were aware of this upcoming draft you would know it's loaded with defensive superstars (another reason to focus on the D next year). Along with some decent WRs and Olinemen.

• Like (+1) 1

What would I do right now?

1.  Have a heart to heart with my OC and dial up Shady more.  Dial up some short passes, bail out options etc. for my young QB.

2.  Simplify my blocking schemes.  Go man on man vs. zone blocking schemes.  Or consider bringing in a better O line coach.

3.  Bench or trade Benjamin.  Get on the waiver wire and bring in some young, hungry WRs.  Benjamin does not look the least interested in playing football. 

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What would I do right now?

1.  Have a heart to heart with my OC and dial up Shady more.  Dial up some short passes, bail out options etc. for my young QB.

2.  Simplify my blocking schemes.  Go man on man vs. zone blocking schemes.  Or consider bringing in a better O line coach.

3.  Bench or trade Benjamin.  Get on the waiver wire and bring in some young, hungry WRs.  Benjamin does not look the least interested in playing football. 

I don't think he has any trade value.  Also, to me, he's a one dimensional player that should only be in the game from the opponents 10 yard line going in.  Outside of that Benjamin is not good.  He cannot separate; he doesn't play to his size; and he's lazy at times.  Mehhh.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, vincec said:

White

Dawkins

Milano

Allen

Edmunds

Phillips

Johnson

From 2 drafts. White, Dawkins and Milano are solid starters. The other 4 are rookies that are contributing already. I'd say that's pretty good drafting.

excluding the QB, its average drafting.   If Allen becomes a top 10 QB its great drafting.  If Allen becomes a top 20 QB, its good drafting.  If Allen washes out, its bad drafting. 

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

excluding the QB, its average drafting.   If Allen becomes a top 10 QB its great drafting.  If Allen becomes a top 20 QB, its good drafting.  If Allen washes out, its bad drafting. 

Agree.

13 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

So, just based on observations, the defense is better when it blitzes, the offense hasn't run nearly enough, and Allen's health situation is a ticking time bomb.  Better schemes and a one year deal for a QB like Lynch could help this season.

it drives me insane that we can never get a blitzing defense.  as far as the run, i was really scratching my head yesterday because with a  fg or two maybe we could have got some momentum going and kept it within a couple of scores.  however at  3rd and 4 or 5,  in fg range, instead of trying to get a lead block and run the ball, we call a pass break only to see them bring the house and drop josh for a 10 yd loss and no chance for 3....wtf?

dabol clearly out smarted ( maybe a poor choice of word) himself.)  frazier is just the rick dennison of defense.  what a joke that game was.

Grab a center in free agency, a guard too.  sign a couple of wrs to compete as well.  

If we draft top 10, either take the best blue chip player we can get, if it's a WR great, if not, entertain options to trade back and acquire more picks.   We need at least one interior olineman, we need a WR, we need a CB.   I know we already have 10 picks, and i definitely would be moving up we need 2-2nd rounders and 2-3rd rounders, to go with 2-1st rounders if we can get em. 

I'd fire Castillo, i'd hire another OL coach, not sure who but anyone at this point is preferable. 

Edited by Soda Popinski

as to the op topic, the first thing i would do is bring back oleary and brandon reilly.  i would cut khari lee, maybe send one of the olineman back to the p.s.

i would also probably bring levi wallace up and cut pitts if i can't come up with a spot some other way. wallace needs some experience.

it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see vlad cut, miller benched, putting teller at lg and groy at rg. two things are for sure...we need a couple of guys familiar with the playbook that can get open. oleary and reilly can do that.

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Grab a center in free agency, a guard too.  sign a couple of wrs to compete as well.  

If we draft top 10, either take the best blue chip player we can get, if it's a WR great, if not, entertain options to trade back and acquire more picks.   We need at least one interior olineman, we need a WR, we need a CB.   I know we already have 10 picks, and i definitely would be moving up we need 2-2nd rounders and 2-3rd rounders, to go with 2-1st rounders if we can get em. 

I'd fire Castillo, i'd hire another OL coach, not sure who but anyone at this point is preferable. 

i made my point in regard to what could feasibly be done now. the bolded could and should be done asap.

Edited by billsredneck1

13 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

We don't think they'll get atleast 5 years....we know they'll get atleast 5 years.  DEAL WITH IT!!!

sometimes they get honest enough to state they've had enough after 2 years of suck

Rex burst the pus-infested pimple of his coaching regime thankfully before he had to by contract

Give Mccoy the ball more? Run and Run and Run more...then use play action. Like Ivory got 6 carries, ans Lesean 5? not enough for me

Throw quick slants after one or two steps to Benjamin, Jones or Clay?

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Continue to bottom out, secure #1 overall pick, and select a guy who can be our franchise QB.

Allen isn't the answer.

For now, I realize most will disagree with that and the point is certainly debatable.

As time goes on, that will change. 

EDIT:  liquidate Shady if we can get a draft pick for him.  Trade any other veteran we can get draft picks for as well.  Guys like shady will not be contributors here if and when we are good. 

Your edit is why we are where we are. McBeane shipped off talent. Better hope those picks pan out. 

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Brady has to retire by 2025

and a team finishing first has to be called a division winner even if it goes 6-10

so there is hope

Even when Brady retires, as long as BB is running that team, we will continue to get beat by them.

Granted when we play them without Brady, we generally do well, but we've never played them twice in a year without Brady!

If im Pegula, im throwing some ridiculous $$ at BB, with all personell control.

Problem: this was always a rebuilding year - something some fans will not accept, and that's okay. 

Solution: lower your expectations and enjoy the ride. There will be ups and down but the entirety of this season revolves not around wins and loses, but around the development of the young core. Next year will be the year for serious consternation over Ws and Ls ... (imo of course)

:beer: :beer: 

GO BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So basically what you are saying is, take you lumps this season and focus on 2019?

Absolutely!! That was always going to be the case. The most obvious solutions now should be to play the young guys and hope that they develop. Get snaps for guys like Taron Johnson, Neal, Teller, McCloud, Foster, McDermott, Croom, etc... Your roster may be the worst in the NFL. You know guys like Holmes and Mills can’t play. Why not see if the other guys can be pieces in the future? I’m not even talking superstars but maybe you can find a slot receiver or a swing OT. We have needs everywhere. I’d also see what I could get for any of the vets that aren’t going to be a part of the future either. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Absolutely!! That was always going to be the case. The most obvious solutions now should be to play the young guys and hope that they develop. Get snaps for guys like Taron Johnson, Neal, Teller, McCloud, Foster, McDermott, Croom, etc... Your roster may be the worst in the NFL. You know guys like Holmes and Mills can’t play. Why not see if the other guys can be pieces in the future? I’m not even talking superstars but maybe you can find a slot receiver or a swing OT. We have needs everywhere. I’d also see what I could get for any of the vets that aren’t going to be a part of the future either. 

Non-linear re-build plans can work but the last step is usually replacing the HC.

That may be the way this ultimately ends in a couple seasons as well.    Someone new inheriting a tight ship with a sound defense and some young offensive talent and high picks/cap room.

I hope not because I think McD is adequate in that HC role.......and like we found out with the criticism of Whaley......you can just as easily do worse(Beane).

It just eludes me why so many new Bills HC/GM's cripple their own chances of success by not finding a way to make the existing talent work.

I think the real question is.....what are the bills really trying to do this year?

ANY PLAYER MOVE that is made this year at best gets you to an 8-8 season....is this really what we want?

Im not saying intentionally tank.....but I think the smart play is to play the youngster's this year to get them experience and figure out who is going to be a player for us NEXT year......

So......guys like Teller should be starting...because Decausse and Miller are not future answer's.....we need to find out if Teller is a actually starting OG in the league......I would also like to see Dawkins get some time at LG to see if he can be a very good LG or an average LT in this league.....because if he is a pro bowl type LG lets make that move in the offseason and get a very good LT to team up next too him......

Pass catchers wise......KB should just be benched....play Zay, McCloud, take a looks at some younger players at pass catcher

Find out what we have going forward....so we can know WHERE to spend our 90 million of cap space and 10 draft picks

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think the real question is.....what are the bills really trying to do this year?

ANY PLAYER MOVE that is made this year at best gets you to an 8-8 season....is this really what we want?

Im not saying intentionally tank.....but I think the smart play is to play the youngster's this year to get them experience and figure out who is going to be a player for us NEXT year......

So......guys like Teller should be starting...because Decausse and Miller are not future answer's.....we need to find out if Teller is a actually starting OG in the league......I would also like to see Dawkins get some time at LG to see if he can be a very good LG or an average LT in this league.....because if he is a pro bowl type LG lets make that move in the offseason and get a very good LT to team up next too him......

Pass catchers wise......KB should just be benched....play Zay, McCloud, take a looks at some younger players at pass catcher

Find out what we have going forward....so we can know WHERE to spend our 90 million of cap space and 10 draft picks

Exactly the proper question.

Like I said in the FIRE Daboll thread it sure ain't developing Josh Allen into a game manager type of QB.

Josh Allen's skills are throwing the ball down the field.

Creating a "scheme" for the players they got now makes no sense to me.

Evaluate the position coaches and players they have to see if any are "salvageable" for the future and go forward.

As for your other points in the post I think as the season goes on they will start Teller and others to see what they got.

I say the draft next year should be Round 1, Offensive Linemen; Round 2, Wide Receiver; R3, OL; R4 WR; R5 OL, R6 WR, Round 7, best player available. At this point for the rest of the year, I'd rather have our unproven wide receivers out there trying to make plays, then a Kelvin Benjamin out there, who just seems completely uninterested in the showing up on Sundays.

18 hours ago, vincec said:

White

Dawkins

Milano

Allen

Edmunds

Phillips

Johnson

White is a good player. Edmunds will probably become a good player.

The other guys are just starters because we don't have anyone better. None of them are difference makers at the NFL level. 

The Bills roster is presently devoid of talent. The players we're featuring at WR, on the OL, and as our depth at most positions on the depth chart is practice squad level type talent relative to other teams.

The current regime came in and got rid of most of our best players and have so far replaced them with much worse players. Their drafting and willingness to trade picks away for crappy veterans or to move up in the draft has left this roster lacking NFL calibre talent and the result is that we're one of the 2-3 worst teams in the league.

Nothing about this regime tells me they're going to be successful long term. They don't value draft picks, they don't seem to look for guys that traditional scouts miss, and for the most part they've added very little overall talent to this team over the past two years despite having had a boat load of draft picks and plenty of opportunities to do so. 

I suspect that a year from now the fans are going to be asking for change. 

5 hours ago, rodneykm said:

Its going to take more than just a year to get this team corrected after the last regime. 

That’s because they chose to have a completely new team. That’s a tough way to turn a franchise around, and one that probably takes longer than they will get. 

35 minutes ago, teef said:

@GunnerBill  here we are.

Haha. Yea I think that is an overreaction at this stage. If Allen fails this FO is gone. But 4 games is a bit soon to declare that a reality.

But that is the odd poster... and a Spurs fan at that... so one with proven poor judgment :D

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Non-linear re-build plans can work but the last step is usually replacing the HC.

That may be the way this ultimately ends in a couple seasons as well.    Someone new inheriting a tight ship with a sound defense and some young offensive talent and high picks/cap room.

I hope not because I think McD is adequate in that HC role.......and like we found out with the criticism of Whaley......you can just as easily do worse(Beane).

It just eludes me why so many new Bills HC/GM's cripple their own chances of success by not finding a way to make the existing talent work.

It just doesnt seem like the plan they are following.....imho the plan seemed to be

Year 1.....getting rid of "non process" guys (they brought in some duds to be sure....but that was still the concept) get rid of big contracts.....biuld through the draft...accumulate draft picks

Year 2....get the qb....defense starts to take shape as they are obviously biulding (or attempting to) Carolina's defense.....eat the huge poo poo dead cap sandwich

Year 3 HOPEFULLY.....this will be a heavy offensive draft......hopefully there will be free agent players that will come here for the right amount of money......Josh Allen now has a year under his belt

I know ppl hate this plan...but this does seem to be the plan that they are following.   I dont think they ever expected to be in the playoffs in year 1 it was just a added bonus but it also hurt their draft position and we had to make aggressive moves to land Josh Allen (but did it without mortgaging any future which is a plus

• Like (+1) 1