The Silver Lining : Josh Allen is very good.

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Although not terrible, the deep throw to Foster at the end wasn't great. He under threw it and a better throw Foster walks in, if he catches it lol. But yea, he didn't make any bad throws that seemed like they would be picked.

One of the underrated issues with Peterman is that even the more catchable throws he makes are regularly in places that lend themselves to interception.

When you combine that with the fact that his weak arm encourages defenses to cover tighter in the short to intermediate range......subsequently arrive to contest the throw quicker........you get tons of interception risk and a lot of finger-pointing "he's gotta' catch that" by fans at receivers.

Just now, HappyDays said:

It's the same as in preseason. You can't pay attention to the stat line but you can watch the individual performances and make judgments. He played a glorified preseason game against 1st stringers and he played very well.

But my point in that game is he did everything we already knew he could do in that game and nothing that were his deficiencies. I kept harping on here that yes he played great in the short game but no he did not at any time show sufficient arm strength, he didn't show he could throw downfield or over the middle, he didn't show he was good in the pocket under a heavy rush, he didn't show that he could back a defense off him that was determined to stop the run. And all of those which were said by me and other NP detractors were blatant today. 

Elway and Eli weren't top 5 QBs right away, there's been some really great QBs that didn't win anything right away, Favre and Rodgers as well. QBs unlike RB or just about any other position get better and better as time goes on. I don't expect Allen to be a top 10 QB this year or even next year, I do expect him though to trend upwards and continue to grow and mature. I have the patience of a saint, just want growth although the faster that happens the better. Continue to focus on taming that big arm and learning how to dissect a defense mentally, that's all I want out of Allen.

11 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You mentally deranged point is the there are no two identical human beings placed in identical situations to play QB in the NFL.  I will accept that point.  

Mentally deranged?? Ha. I asked for a comp of a QB was considered really raw, lost his camp battle, but still started early in the year in his rookie season and became a franchise guy. You listed Dehaun Watson, an athletic QB who ran all over the league before he got hurt...in other words nothing like how Allen plays. Congrats for finding one recent example that's still a poor example.

FYI - the reason you can't find more of them is because most NFL teams aren't stupid enough to throw their raw QB out there when he showed in camp that he wasn't ready. They protect him as long as they can in order to better prepare him for the almost impossible job that is playing NFL QB. But yeah, I'm mentally deranged because I think patience is the best option.    

Edited by VW82

What I like about him other than his arm and attitude is that he's a tough f'in QB. Even when the sack is inevitable, he fights on his way down and even grabs a couple extra yards. When he got hit late on the sideline run, he made sure he brought the guy down with him then he got in his face. It's going to be a long season, but that stuff makes him easy to route for. Peterman...while he had a chance to turn into a great story of redemption just looks overmatched out there. They absolutely cannot put him back on the field as the starter.

Edited by BigBobby

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The big thing that changed for me is my opinion of the pass blocking. It looked much better. Not great but serviceable which is mostly all you get in the NFL these days. Allen looked quite good. So I'm at the point where I think he might as well get some experience. We'll still end up with a high draft pick.

Who knows what will happen in the coming weeks. A few years ago I stopped making assessments until after week 4. I will stick to that M.O. this year. Who knows, maybe they all gel together after this debacle like they did last year after the chargers game and put together a good year?

Like one of the players said in the locker room postgame, the only silver lining after this game is that it is only week one.

• Like (+1) 1

I said it during the game. The guys on this team have practiced with both QBs and the team believes in Allen. No one trusts Nathan Peterman. And obviously for good reason. How many truly terrible games does this guy have to have before we stop with this non sense? If I'm forced to watch bad QB play, let's see it from the 7th overall pick. At least he can escape the pocket and stretch the field with his arm. It gives Daboll a fighting chance to call a little more varied attack. Peterman can only throw so far, every team knows it and they continue to cheat up and pick him off. You drafted Allen to be the future, well the future starts now.

My buddy said before the game that Nate looked scared. He doesn't portray confidence or inspire teammates. Josh seems to immediately do that. You saw it in preseason. Even when Nate was great he didn't seem to change his demeanor outside of the immediate joy of a TD. He panics in real games. It's pretty obvious. 

It was basically Peterman looked that bad. Made a normally average performance for Allen look good. 

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

I said it during the game. The guys on this team have practiced with both QBs and the team believes in Allen. No one trusts Nathan Peterman. And obviously for good reason. How many truly terrible games does this guy have to have before we stop with this non sense? If I'm forced to watch bad QB play, let's see it from the 7th overall pick. At least he can escape the pocket and stretch the field with his arm. It gives Daboll a fighting chance to call a little more varied attack. Peterman can only throw so far, every team knows it and they continue to cheat up and pick him off. You drafted Allen to be the future, well the future starts now.

only McD wants NP.  

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Asinine or not, it's what posters on here are asking of Allen.

I'll give you Deshaun Watson, but it would seem QBs with elite athleticism would have a much better chance at early success due to their ability to take off and run. Allen can do some of that but it's not exactly the same thing. 

Allen has elite athleticism. Some of which are more impressive than Watson.

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It was basically Peterman looked that bad. Made a normally average performance for Allen look good. 

only McD wants NP.  

Yea I don't understand his love for Peterman. At this point I don't even think he's a good backup. Should've kept AJ and Allen and just let Allen start. I mean the people here dogging Allen are ignoring some great throws he made that were dropped and the fact that he had to come into a game that the rest of his teammates had already quit.

47 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I hear that EJ Manuel is available... ☺️

I don’t disagree with the sentiment.  Allen is the best option as of the moment.  I covered this in other posts, but I have a huge problem with him being rushed into the starting role at this time and with the lack of offensive talent.  The Bills brass isn’t doing him any favors. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My buddy said before the game that Nate looked scared. He doesn't portray confidence or inspire teammates. Josh seems to immediately do that. You saw it in preseason. Even when Nate was great he didn't seem to change his demeanor outside of the immediate joy of a TD. He panics in real games. It's pretty obvious. 

This exactly. If people can't see the team has a different, more positive aura about it when Allen is on the field then I just don't understand it. All great QB's seem to have that quality. He may not end up being great, but he has that quality. Nate Peterman has the exact opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 2:46 AM, PlayoffsPlease said:

The Silver Lining : Josh Allen is very good.   He has great command of the field and incredible arm talent.  We unnecessarily lost a weeks time developing him, but by seasons end, Bills fans will know they have a top 10 QB. 

I agree...It would have been great for Sean to have called the farce of a 3-headed monster and made Josh the starting QB in TC...He would have got all the reps with the starters..It would have also helped the OL gel better knowing who is throwing the football.  The receivers would have got used to that Bullet of an arm...May be Benjamin makes that TD catch yesterday if he had enough time with Josh.  May be the RBs can make more catches from Josh...

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2018 at 5:19 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

His stats didn't show his game at all. He did make some rookie mistakes but they were mostly under a heavy rush. He threw some great balls. The pass to Benjamin in the endzone should have been a TD. The 3rd and 18 completion for 20+ from the goalline was a great play. The pass to Croom that was dropped was a really nice ball. The one over the middle that was complete but called back for a hold I think was a great throw. He missed a few but threw a bunch of really nice balls and didn't make any terrible throws. 

The kid has to start. Some incredible throws ,  defenses have to respect his deep ball which will open up Shady ,Clay Murphy etc underneath. 

You could even see the offense perk up a bit as a unit ,had more energy . At that point Dabol went more vanilla cause the game was over.. I'd be shocked if # 17 is not starting. I think he can be the spark we need if he starts slinging TDs

On 9/9/2018 at 5:23 PM, Trogdor said:

I know that people are looking for a pick me up, but he didn't do anything special. He didn't show anything in garbage time that would justify this post. He made a couple of good rushes, but it made no change. I hope he starts going forward, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. This team is going to suck. 

I want to say he had about 3-4 well placed balls on key plays that just did not get caught. 

I think hes good enough to keep us in a game....maybe? lol

4 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I want to say he had about 3-4 well placed balls on key plays that just did not get caught. 

"Is his supporting cast, though?" is the question.

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Same goes for Peterman on the drops. This WR Corp is horrendous. I don't think anyone keeps us in the game when they can't catch or block, while the defense gives up super soft zone.

On 9/9/2018 at 4:19 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Luckily he has broad shoulders because he is going to be carrying this team on his back this year.

No pressure young fella...

Basically that's what he had to do in college & he is in the same type of situation here where he doesn't have a lot of time due to the O line not being very good so it's not that different to him .

If the O line could start to gel a bit & give him some time the kid could be a lot better i'm thinking but given his athletic skills & the only other option being Petermen after watching some of the all 22 tape & Petermen not seeing the open looks he had it's time to let the kid go play !

He will either get it or be like the rest of the QB's they have brought in & go the other way !! I just pray they don't continually change offensive coordinators like past coaches have done i think that would really kill his growth like it has so many of the past rookie QB's the Bills have had !!  

• Like (+1) 1

image.png.e6016cd48849e9e83f6b6b4f818ccfc2.png

His final season in college in a bad conference. I hope he turns out to be the answer, but I am still betting against it. That anyone is already convinced of his eventual success flies against logic, as of today.

The two Buffalo QBs he reminds me of are Losman and Harris. Hopefully, he turns out much better than them.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Just in case it makes a difference, I was agreeing with Kemp. Allen is not on the same level yet. 

I know you were agreeing with Kemp.  But that's hard to say considering nothing about the games was similar, except that they were rookies playing on the road.