Remind me again why we haven't had Jason Peters for the last 15 years?

dayman

Just saw this tweet:

@spotrac

Jason Peters is one of the most successful undrafted free agents of all-time. The future HOF lineman joined the Bills in 2004 as a TE. He’s earned $105M in 15 seasons thus far.

Where's MY $105M?

38 minutes ago, dayman said:

B/c he got hurt once, right?

Good move Bills.

Because the Bills signed him to a RT contract knowing full well they weren't going to re-sign Jonas Jennings and then moved Peters to LT.........where he immediately became not only a pro bowler but an All Pro LT........and then they wanted to hold him to his other deal when he wanted a raise.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We just restructured him and he again held out instead of talking to the guys that JUST restructured him. 

Look, I get it, he’s amazing, but you can’t be a bad team and be held hostage by your LT every offseason. You have other needs and other worries at that point. He wanted out, we couldn’t take the headache. Got a first round pick  from an undrafted TE. Not terrible. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

We just restructured him and he again held out instead of talking to the guys that JUST restructured him. 

Look, I get it, he’s amazing, but you can’t be a bad team and be held hostage by your LT every offseason. You have other needs and other worries at that point. He wanted out, we couldn’t take the headache. Got a first round pick  from an undrafted TE. Not terrible. 

All those things you and others said about him were totally disproven.

He got paid LT money and wasn't a contract issue for the Eagles after that........he certainly wasn't holding them hostage every offseason.

He didn't rest on his fat contract as people like yourself said he would.

And he became a beloved team leader when people like you were saying he was a locker room cancer.

The bottom line is that the Bills tried to work him over by giving him RT money when they intended to move him to LT.

If he had struggled I could see where asking for a raise would be in poor taste..........but he made himself into the best in the NFL.

You pay that man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because the Bills signed him to a RT contract knowing full well they weren't going to re-sign Jonas Jennings and then moved Peters to LT.........where he immediately became not only a pro bowler but an All Pro LT........and then they wanted to hold him to his other deal when he wanted a raise.

This. I think it was the beginning of “ Ralph is cheap”. Anyway, the guy was a UDFA and they had him cheap for awhile. When it came time to pay him as a LT  they traded him. He’d still be on the Oline today. Guy was a player. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This. I think it was the beginning of “ Ralph is cheap”. Anyway, the guy was a UDFA and they had him cheap for awhile. When it came time to pay him as a LT  they traded him. He’d still be on the Oline today. Guy was a player. 

Russ is really the turd who lost Peters.

He was a first time GM and he blew off Eugene Parker when he wanted to make the Peters deal right.

Then Russ made the mistake of taking the negotiation to the media.

So Parker taught him a lesson about the difference between dealing with superstar talent as opposed to everyone else.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Russ is really the turd who lost Peters.

He was a first time GM and he blew off Eugene Parker when he wanted to make the Peters deal right.

Then Russ made the mistake of taking the negotiation to the media.

So Parker taught him a lesson about the difference between dealing with superstar talent as opposed to everyone else.

Eugene Parker started at guard for Purdue's basketball team when I was a freshman. I met him once, good dude, may he RIP.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This. He held out twice if I recall. Once when we made him RT and paid him well considering he was an Un-drafted  TE. Then they paid him another raise if I recall after the switch to Lt. Then when he was showing to be incredible he wanted even more money. It felt like every year he was holding out or wanting more money. You can’t be held hostage every year. 

On top of that, he was “injured” or missed multiple games through multiple seasons. Basically when the team was officially eliminated from the playoffs he had some sort of injury and wouldn’t play out the rest of the year. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

First good post I’ve ever seen from you.

He was all about the money and we just gave him a new deal. When healthy, he’s great, but he can be very hit or miss.  

Also, for all of our offensive line woes, LT hasn’t really been one of them.  I still agree with trading him. 

Badol is right to a degree, but the Bills thought he was worth 9m and offered him 9m. He wanted 10m because he thought he was the best LT in the game and IIRC there was one LT who made 10m, like Pace or someone like that. He wouldn't sign for less and the Eagles were willing not only to pay him 10m but give away a #1 and more for the honor of paying him that much. The idea that he didn't want to be here was and is a cannard. He wanted 10m because he was worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Badol is right to a degree, but the Bills thought he was worth 9m and offered him 9m. He wanted 10m because he thought he was the best LT in the game and IIRC there was one LT who made 10m, like Pace or someone like that. He wouldn't sign for less and the Eagles were willing not only to pay him 10m but give away a #1 and more for the honor of paying him that much. The idea that he didn't want to be here was and is a cannard. He wanted 10m because he was worth it.

Yeah, and stuff like this:

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And Peters ended up being right.

One question no one has asked yet on this thread is it really worth it spending big money on an offensive tackle?

Lamenting the loss of Peters seems silly.  We should have kept Peters so we could better protect Losman and Edwards?

Lots of examples of teams being very successful with mediocre tackles.  And there are numerous examples of teams who have the better known tackles who don’t do diddly.  Success in the NFL is not about OTs.  But From  the way folks post on this thread, one would think that getting a pro bowl LT guarantees playoffs and Super Bowl for years to come.  

I’d rather have a franchise QB playing behind serviceable tackles than a merry go round of bad QBs behind pro bowl tackles.