R. I. P. Burt Reynolds - Gone at 82

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, ocemur said:

For all the crappy movies that have been remade, how have they not remade Cannonball Run? It's all just cameos and one off jokes. It'd be so easy to do a decent job.

The first movie was absolute trash.  Why would you do a remake?

For some reason, I have always remembered an interview I saw with Burt around the time (I guess) that "Dancing With Wolves" was popular.  

Burt was basically reminiscing back on his career, at a time when it was basically over, and regretting that he never did anything worthwhile with his stardom.  He was the Hollywood #1 leading male actor for a while, and as he said himself, he gave the world "Cannonball Run" when Kevin Costner, in a similar situation years later, gave the world "Dances With Wolves", i.e., a legitimate exercise in artistic film production.

Burt was basically reflecting back and saying "I had the power to do good things in the industry but instead made a bunch of crap, and I regret it."

RIP.

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

Deliverance - that is all

It's hard to think of a serious, good movie that he was ever associated with.

"Deliverance" comes to mind first, followed by "Boogie Nights" at a much later point in his life/career.

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I always enjoyed him, especially that documentary he made about the logistical nightmares regarding interstate alcoholic beverage transportation. :thumbsup:

Was it my imagination or was law enforcement a little bumbling in those documentaries?  Kind of like a preview to Rex Ryan?

Here's a LAMP.  I spent a few nights at Burt & Jack's Steakhouse in Ft. Lauderdale.  Burt's partner and I went to the same small college in OH and he was a brother in the same fraternity who I got to know through homecomings, etc.  When I got to grad school in South Florida, Jack invited me to the restaurant a few times.  Met Mr. Reynolds one night briefly.  Got an autograph for my girlfriend's (at the time) mom.  Immediately raised her well-justified low opinion of me.

RIP Mr. Reynolds.  Thanks for helping a struggling graduate student....

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m sure that will be prominently noted in his eulogy.  ?

Today, we're here to remember and to celebrate the life of Burt Reynolds ....

Smokey and the Bandit ... Deliverance ... Longest Yard ... and he tapped two of the hottest chicks on earth.

Amen

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Smokey and the Bandit ... Deliverance ... Longest Yard ... and he tapped two of the hottest chicks on earth.

Amen

Yeah, I might have reversed the order so as not to bury the lead...and maybe bold the lead. And maybe left out Deliverance in lieu of just about anything else (his favorite breakfast cereal might do)...... just for the extra creepy points. (I’m picky about editing.) 

The man can RIP. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Amen

Loni Anderson's OK, but Dinah Shore was a little too GILFY for me.

RIP Burt, one of the greats.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Me, too!  I was talking about Sally Field, Forrest!!!

Sally Field did have a great ass. She might just make my top 1000 All-Time Hottest Actresses list.

Edited by Rico

Can’t forget Stroker Ace. The movies may not be in the pantheon of all time greats but love them none the less. Love when he and deloiuse land the plane to pick up a six pack in CR2. And we know about loni Anderson and Sally fields. Who do we not know about.

RIP Mr Reynolds. Your work was thoroughly enjoyable 

On 9/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, ocemur said:

For all the crappy movies that have been remade, how have they not remade Cannonball Run? It's all just cameos and one off jokes. It'd be so easy to do a decent job.

Wouldn't "Cannonball Run" be considered a re-make of "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"?