Bleacher Report - Doom & Gloom

BarleyNY

I get tired of these kinds of articles.

The one's that make a statement with no backup. I want to see analysis and comparisons. If you're saying the Bills are the worst in the league, then show me exactly how they're stacking up against the other teams.

I already know they played bad. I've seen a bunch of terrible performances around the league this preseason.

It was just like reading an extended TBD post.

• Like (+1) 2

I just read it. I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. In fact, I’m not sure that there is much to debate. The Bills are well-coached and have a plan. It was going to take a few years. If Allen can play they are fine. If not they are a long way from being good. 2018 is going to be what it’s going to be. Next year will be when we see the progress.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Coleman..3 receptions 7 yards.So much for the hype.

there was hype ? Most everyone said it was a low risk high reward possibility

You're not throwing the 60 yard bomb with less than 3 seconds to launch.. Hopefully that ends up working for us this season some

Edited by ddaryl

For a little context, I went back and pulled predictions from last year... Not saying we're going to beat the world this year, but pointing out that McDermott's been underrated before...

2017 Season Predictions:

Sports Illustrated: 4-11-1

Prognosticators should run away from Buffalo’s dysfunction, not to it. With the Pegulas firing Doug Whaley, it’s apparently first-year coach Sean McDermott’s club for the time being. His move to take the pool tables out of the locker room sounds good until you realize the Falcons went to the Super Bowl with three ping-pong tables in their locker room last year. And the Bills don’t seem to like or appreciate their above-average quarterback. Prepare for a step back in 2017.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/08/buffalo-bills-2017-projected-record

ESPN: 6-10

The Buffalo Bills have avoided using the word "rebuilding" to describe their approach under first-year coach Sean McDermott. But are they contenders? That is a tough sell for a team that finished last season with a 7-9 record, fired coach Rex Ryan and lost starters (including cornerback Stephon Gilmore and wide receiver Robert Woods) on each side of the ball this offseason. As McDermott looks to build a foundation for future success, it is more likely than not that his team takes a step backward in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/27748/2017-buffalo-bills-game-by-game-predictions

Buffalo Rumblings: 6-10, 8-8, 5-11, 5-11, 7-9, 9-7

Today the the Buffalo Bills begin their 2017 NFL season. Over the past month and a half, expectations have slowly crumbled for the season as the Bills appeared to take a long-term view of the roster and trade some of the biggest names.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/9/10/16281906/buffalo-bills-2017-season-predictions-buffalo-rumblings-writers-tyrod-taylor-sean-mcdermott

Edited by delectrolux
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well based off my eyes I think I can say this is the worst OL the Bills have put on the field in all my time being a fan. 

My patience is currently running low with Beanes moves when compared to what we’ve seen.

I am terrified that our reality might be two big signings on the OL like Dockery and Walker. That’s just what my gut is telling me is around the corner. But hoping it is wrong. 

4 minutes ago, delectrolux said:

For a little context, I went back and pulled predictions from last year... Not saying we're going to beat the world this year, but pointing out that McDermott's been underrated before...

2017 Season Predictions:

Sports Illustrated: 4-11-1

Prognosticators should run away from Buffalo’s dysfunction, not to it. With the Pegulas firing Doug Whaley, it’s apparently first-year coach Sean McDermott’s club for the time being. His move to take the pool tables out of the locker room sounds good until you realize the Falcons went to the Super Bowl with three ping-pong tables in their locker room last year. And the Bills don’t seem to like or appreciate their above-average quarterback. Prepare for a step back in 2017.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/08/buffalo-bills-2017-projected-record

The Buffalo Bills have avoided using the word "rebuilding" to describe their approach under first-year coach Sean McDermott. But are they contenders? That is a tough sell for a team that finished last season with a 7-9 record, fired coach Rex Ryan and lost starters (including cornerback Stephon Gilmore and wide receiver Robert Woods) on each side of the ball this offseason. As McDermott looks to build a foundation for future success, it is more likely than not that his team takes a step backward in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/27748/2017-buffalo-bills-game-by-game-predictions

Buffalo Rumblings: 6-10, 8-8, 5-11, 5-11, 7-9, 9-7

Today the the Buffalo Bills begin their 2017 NFL season. Over the past month and a half, expectations have slowly crumbled for the season as the Bills appeared to take a long-term view of the roster and trade some of the biggest names.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/9/10/16281906/buffalo-bills-2017-season-predictions-buffalo-rumblings-writers-tyrod-taylor-sean-mcdermott

I would say last years roster over performed a bit, and was definitely better coached than Rex’s teams. They made up the deficit of lesser talent with better coaching. 

This year. Coaching is the same, and overall talent is measurably worse. Probably around the 6 win range. I’d take the under on 6.5. This OL is going to bring us huge problems. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Didn't read it but, simply put, the o-line had unexpected departures and quality replacements were not found.

They are worse than last year by far. That's on Beane and a lesser extent McDermott. 

It’s pretty tough to replace an all pro guard at the snap of a finger.

Beane restructured him. Incognito just went to the bad place.

His loss is a significant one. The other positions, not as drastic.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s pretty tough to replace an all pro guard at the snap of a finger.

Beane restructured him. Incognito just went to the bad place.

His loss is a significant one. The other positions, not as drastic.

Richie was gone a few weeks prior to the draft.

Wood was gone before the Super Bowl.

The right side of the line was a mess and they knew it. There was time to make a marked upgrade to at least one OL position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the fiasco Sunday was your main point of reference, and it probably was for BR, it's very easy to see why they might think the Bills might be looking at the basement.  

Last seasons backing into the playoffs may have given Bills fans reason to believe McCoach is the second coming, when in reality "the process" is still in place.  They got their QB, and it is early, but early indications are that he is a keeper.   But there is still a long way to go talent wise.  Receivers, Oline, running backs (excluding Shady who isn't getting any younger).  This year may look like a regression due in large part to the Bills D going nuts with turnovers last season and the good fortune to make it to the playoffs and end the drought.  But the Bills are still rebuilding, Rome wasn't built in a day and the Bills can't be rebuilt in a day either.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

If the fiasco Sunday was your main point of reference, and it probably was for BR, it's very easy to see why they might think the Bills might be looking at the basement.  

Last seasons backing into the playoffs may have given Bills fans reason to believe McCoach is the second coming, when in reality "the process" is still in place.  They got their QB, and it is early, but early indications are that he is a keeper.   But there is still a long way to go talent wise.  Receivers, Oline, running backs (excluding Shady who isn't getting any younger).  This year may look like a regression due in large part to the Bills D going nuts with turnovers last season and the good fortune to make it to the playoffs and end the drought.  But the Bills are still rebuilding, Rome wasn't built in a day and the Bills can't be rebuilt in a day either.

I think people are more upset with Beane and the FO, not necessarily McD. 

9 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think people are more upset with Beane and the FO, not necessarily McD. 

Fair enough.  The Oline being in apparently such terrible shape seems to be a big fail, but ultimately the same holds true for them.  

Edited by CodeMonkey

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Cleveland hasn't proven anything yet.

No, but their roster is WAY more talented. They are a year ahead of us in their rebuild. Next year we have the cap space to go with 9 picks. They had that this year.

The Browns should be better than the Bills this year. They can rush the passer, have a good OL, and a bunch of playmakers. Their roster is way deeper as well. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

there was hype ? Most everyone said it was a low risk high reward possibility

You're not throwing the 60 yard bomb with less than 3 seconds to launch.. Hopefully that ends up working for us this season some

Booger...you can slice it up,cut it up,butter it up etc....it's still 3 for 7 yards.Just maybe he's having a tough time getting Daboll's playbook digested.

52 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

All this from one preseason game against the Bengals?

Well...the starters against the Browns didn't look good either.

Edited by Misterbluesky

bleacher report is a couple notches below espn... that should tell you everything you need to know right there..

the articles there are also made from some recent undergrad who likes sports, but doesn't really know the fine details of the game.

i know this because i lived in SF where it is headquartered. One of my good friends lived with a dude who was a front page editor there.

all he did was take notes on his laptop while watching a game... and this dude wasted his money on a 4 year degree. JUST TO DO THAT?!?!

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well based off my eyes I think I can say this is the worst OL the Bills have put on the field in all my time being a fan. 

I agree and I'd add they also have one of the very worst offensive line coaches too. 

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

Richie was gone a few weeks prior to the draft.

Wood was gone before the Super Bowl.

The right side of the line was a mess and they knew it. There was time to make a marked upgrade to at least one OL position. 

This FO basically ignored the line "talent wise" with the thinking that any big body can play an offensive lineman.   

Considering the team drafted Dion Dawkins with a #2 pick we (me) all thought the FO had an actual plan to replace Woods, Incognito and they don't. Dawkins was supposed to replace Mills at RT which would have been a big upgrade. Now the team is desperate for a quality center, LG, RG, RT and who knows if Dawkins will hold up the LT position without Incognito to help him out. 

The 2017 Buffalo Bills offensive line is a shambles and I don't see a quick fix out of this mess. The one thing that bothers me so very much is that over the years the Bills coaches/GM can see the need for super high talented defensive line players like Dareus, Mario Williams and yet don't feel the need to upgrade the line with similar quality talent to block those types of players.    

A 100 million dollar DE and where did it get them? The #4 overall defense in the NFL in 2014 with the best pass rush in the NFL and it didn't even get them into the playoffs.  The offensive line and QB position are where this team has failed since the super bowl era. 

When will Buffalo Bills coaches, GMs get it? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2792785-are-the-buffalo-bills-already-the-nfls-worst-team

Are the Buffalo Bills Already the NFL's Worst Team?

Read at your own risk. One caveat: I sort of know the writer and he’s a good guy who has no grudge against the Bills. He’s calling it like he sees it. Now flame away at him. 

They need to sit allen, that oline  is wretched, roll with peterman.

Its pretty obvious this will be a throw away year 

Would be sweet to get a top 5 pick next draft.

Ok, I'm already getting ready to duck, but it seems like everyone in the world (outside of Buffalo) is underselling Nathan Peterman.  I know he was horrendous in his spotlight moment against the Chargers, but he looks far improved this preseason.  He was carving up the Panthers first team defense to the tune of 11 yards per play until his fluke interception.  He was mostly solid against the Browns, and he threw some beautiful balls against the Bengals.  I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a clear upgrade over Tyrod Taylor.  Let's put it this way, if Peterman were a first round pick and had this type of preseason in his sophomore year, I think the perception of the QB position, and the Bills in general, would be far more favorable on the national level.  Yes, he's going to throw some interceptions (and probably some more pick-6s), but I think he'll get this offense moving, especially with the threat of McCoy in the backfield. 

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree and I'd add they also have one of the very worst offensive line coaches too. 

This FO basically ignored the line "talent wise" with the thinking that any big body can play an offensive lineman.   

Considering the team drafted Dion Dawkins with a #2 pick we (me) all thought the FO had an actual plan to replace Woods, Incognito and they don't. Dawkins was supposed to replace Mills at RT which would have been a big upgrade. Now the team is desperate for a quality center, LG, RG, RT and who knows if Dawkins will hold up the LT position without Incognito to help him out. 

The 2017 Buffalo Bills offensive line is a shambles and I don't see a quick fix out of this mess. The one thing that bothers me so very much is that over the years the Bills coaches/GM can see the need for super high talented defensive line players like Dareus, Mario Williams and yet don't feel the need to upgrade the line with similar quality talent to block those types of players.    

A 100 million dollar DE and where did it get them? The #4 overall defense in the NFL in 2014 with the best pass rush in the NFL and it didn't even get them into the playoffs.  The offensive line and QB position are where this team has failed since the super bowl era. 

Yep. It is inexcusable that Teflon Juan is still employed 

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

My larger gripe is that we also didn’t fix anything else. We got Allen. The dude has skills, but also a lot of question marks. Getting your QB shouldn’t mean you don’t get better literally ANYWHERE ELSE. 

Fine, we get Alllen. Ignore the offensive side of the ball. Better make a huge improvement on the defensive side then, and we didn’t. We stepped back everywhere. 

Of allen turns out to be the guy for 15 years. I was wrong. I’ll gladly admit it (cough EJ cough). Right now it’s a tough pill to swallow if you look at the roster as a whole. 

17 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

All this from one preseason game against the Bengals?

Yep.  If all you saw of us last year was our performance against the Saints or Chargers, you wouldn't have thought us capable of winning a single game, let alone making the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yep.  If all you saw of us last year was our performance against the Saints or Chargers, you wouldn't have thought us capable of winning a single game, let alone making the playoffs.

Stop that. There is no place for optimism on this board! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

My larger gripe is that we also didn’t fix anything else. We got Allen. The dude has skills, but also a lot of question marks. Getting your QB shouldn’t mean you don’t get better literally ANYWHERE ELSE. 

Fine, we get Alllen. Ignore the offensive side of the ball. Better make a huge improvement on the defensive side then, and we didn’t. We stepped back everywhere. 

Of allen turns out to be the guy for 15 years. I was wrong. I’ll gladly admit it (cough EJ cough). Right now it’s a tough pill to swallow if you look at the roster as a whole. 

We stepped back everywhere on defense? How and where?

You're telling me you thought our defense was going to be good at the beginning of last year? EJ Gaines was pretty much unknown when he was traded here and the dude is always injured. He's injured right now for the next few weeks. I am pretty optimistic of this defense but let's see an actual game that counts first 

• Like (+1) 1