Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

People from out of town LOVE it. It shows passion and personality.

I question the true motives of those that want to end it. How many of those that want to end this form of tailgating secretly want an excuse to build a stadium downtown? Don't think it's possible that a PR push is being paid for when billions of dollars are involved? Didn't Trump admit to starting the Bon Jovi rumor?

has anyone mentioned the pinto ron having condiments poured on the face thing?  i think that's as dumb, and certainly more lame than the table jumping.  i have no problem with it, but how in the world can he do that every game?

1 hour ago, MPT said:

I'm just surprised the Bills haven't come down hard on it from a liability standpoint. That would be perfectly understandable. But until they do, rage on I say. 

Haven't been to a home game in years, so correct me if I'm wrong, most of it happens in the private lots from what I understand. The official team parking lots are relatively strict from all the underage drinking arrests and such I read about every Monday.  So the team themselves wouldn't be reasonable. 

27 minutes ago, musichunch said:

I question the true motives of those that want to end it. How many of those that want to end this form of tailgating secretly want an excuse to build a stadium downtown? Don't think it's possible that a PR push is being paid for when billions of dollars are involved? Didn't Trump admit to starting the Bon Jovi rumor?

I've never heard of that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

has anyone mentioned the pinto ron having condiments poured on the face thing?  i think that's as dumb, and certainly more lame than the table jumping.  i have no problem with it, but how in the world can he do that every game?

It was mentioned in the article. Its just a fun tradition from a guy who clearly doesn't take himself too seriously. He wears a plastic poncho, so it's easy cleanup before the game. 

39 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It was mentioned in the article. Its just a fun tradition from a guy who clearly doesn't take himself too seriously. He wears a plastic poncho, so it's easy cleanup before the game. 

ahhhh.  i never understood how he could handle that.  it just seems like a huge hassle cleaning it up before a game.  harmless fun, but what a pain.

5 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I hate the mafia reference. It probably came from some dumb 20 something kid who wanted to sound tough and has no idea what real organized crime is about. No one should be glorifying the mafia and associating all Bills fans with that. If they called themselves something else I would have less problem with it. I also hope Josh Allen stops mentioning them. Just call us Bills fans. 

Yeah, the name brings on some of the negative attention. Bad idea if you want to get away with controversial things. But I'm fine with the antics.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Haven't been to a home game in years, so correct me if I'm wrong, most of it happens in the private lots from what I understand. The official team parking lots are relatively strict from all the underage drinking arrests and such I read about every Monday.  So the team themselves wouldn't be reasonable. 

I have to fly to Buffalo to see games so I've only been to a handful of them, but I'm in the bus lot every time and I've seen three people go through tables there with a giant crowd around them. Security is all around so they probably could have stopped it if they wanted to. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yet it has caught on from the top down. The players buy into it and the fanbase at large has bought into it. 

And general football fans have caught on to it! I have people all the time lead with “Buffalo? Bills Mafia, huh?” 

I have no idea how it got so big, or how many tables had to die to get us where we are today. 

21 minutes ago, MPT said:

I have to fly to Buffalo to see games so I've only been to a handful of them, but I'm in the bus lot every time and I've seen three people go through tables there with a giant crowd around them. Security is all around so they probably could have stopped it if they wanted to. 

Not sure if you've ever read the back of a ticket for a concert or a sporting event before. Its fine print, so you'll literally need a magnifying glass to read it. It basically says the venue, team, or performer isn't responsible if you get hit by a baseball, etc. I'm sure the lawyers got it covered when you buy the parking passes.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

When your team is a disgrace for 20 years, you need to find other ways to get excited.

When the Brady Billdo got thrown on the field it was the most exciting pass I've seen since the 90s.

Buffalo has had crazy tailgates since the old rockpile 

my father was brining kegs in the stadium 50 years ago ?

7 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I hate the mafia reference. It probably came from some dumb 20 something kid who wanted to sound tough and has no idea what real organized crime is about. No one should be glorifying the mafia and associating all Bills fans with that. If they called themselves something else I would have less problem with it. I also hope Josh Allen stops mentioning them. Just call us Bills fans. 

I like the mafia reference... gives a brotherhood or family type vibe to the fan base. ?

The atmosphere at the stadium has always been primarily geared by the college crowd and the table jumping antics etc. are what's in with that demographic nowadays.  If you follow Barstool Sports they are always posting videos of this kind of stuff going on at college parties all over the United States.  The reason why this is associated with Bills fans is Buffalo has much more of a college gameday atmosphere than any other NFL city.

Devon.....get the tables!!

That never gets old ;) 

Any publicity is good publicity,everyone one thought we were a bunch of drunken table smashers.

Then we made the playoffs and Andy Daltons Charity  finally had more than one donor(him)

Then our fan base became known as generous drunken table smashers ;)   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

When the Brady Billdo got thrown on the field it was the most exciting pass I've seen since the 90s.

Most accurate, too. It couldn't have landed in a better spot at a better time than right at the end of the play at the feet of the players.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

Will likely end soon when someone breaks their neck and sues the Bills.

Honestly can't believe we haven't had a MAJOR injury reported yet (broken back, head, neck, paralysis, etc).

Anyone know of a serious injury yet?

I have worked in the busiest ER in my state for the last 21 years. Over those years I have learned a simple truth.... God loves drunk people.  They never seem to end up as hurt as you think they would considering what happens to them.  They must all be assigned an intoxicated guardian angel to look over them.

• Haha (+1) 3

Never been, just seen the videos like most people. We do deal with a couple of companies in the area and I have talked to some of the Customer Service reps about it. They said they don't go to the games because what I see in the videos is nothing compared to the real life debauchery that takes place. Is this true? Is there worse that goes on not caught by the cameras and posted on youtube?

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Never been, just seen the videos like most people. We do deal with a couple of companies in the area and I have talked to some of the Customer Service reps about it. They said they don't go to the games because what I see in the videos is nothing compared to the real life debauchery that takes place. Is this true? Is there worse that goes on not caught by the cameras and posted on youtube?

No and tell your reps ->

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoaZckB2nUNYuU8PNQLVd

45 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Considering that I'm not one jumping through tables, I'm not embarrassed.

Exactly. It's just that simple. I'm not the volunteer I am just the spectator. It's a lot of entertainment value and should be cherished. How many places can I go to possibly see somebody risk self injury for no money? People should realize you used to have to pay to see Daredevils. 

These people exist and if they don't have a public forum then they will just eat Tide pods and die. So it's even safer for them this way. They will plank off tall buildings or on train tracks. Natural selection bro, it's for a reason let's embrace it. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, musichunch said:

I think you can be embarassed and not want it to end but simply stop the immature stunts. I prefer Bills mafia to the Eagle fans of the 700 level or the Jets fan in the nosebleeds by a long shot. Basically a small improvement and I will be happy. Other point is that I started in Buffalo and now am out of Buffalo but I am readily identified as a Bills fan and I get asked often about the tables and other such antics by other sport fans.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I have worked in the busiest ER in my state for the last 21 years. Over those years I have learned a simple truth.... God loves drunk people.  They never seem to end up as hurt as you think they would considering what happens to them.  They must all be assigned an intoxicated guardian angel to look over them.

My mother always said God protects drunks and babies. They can both fall down the stairs and come out unscathed. They don’t tighten up and somehow escape just fine!  I’m too old to be a baby, but I like to play it safe, so......

?

• Haha (+1) 1

I've been to 4 games over the last 2 years, 8 over the last 3. I've seen more than one person jump through a table at every game.

They're kind of embarrassing. But I don't know, I can't stop them. Only time it personally mattered to me is when we left a couple tables outside of the party bus and people who didn't even go the game jumped through them during it. But lesson learned.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by the name Bills Mafia or Sweet Caroline being played after wins. Both are a bit corny.

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

Exactly. It's just that simple. I'm not the volunteer I am just the spectator. It's a lot of entertainment value and should be cherished. How many places can I go to possibly see somebody risk self injury for no money? People should realize you used to have to pay to see Daredevils. 

These people exist and if they don't have a public forum then they will just eat Tide pods and die. So it's even safer for them this way. They will plank off tall buildings or on train tracks. Natural selection bro, it's for a reason let's embrace it. 

I prefer tide pods. Never liked attention whores. Also, people wouldn't pay a dime for that ****.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The old saying goes   "God looks out for drunks and fools"

I know it must be true I have seen it many times as well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

The atmosphere at the stadium has always been primarily geared by the college crowd and the table jumping antics etc. are what's in with that demographic nowadays.  If you follow Barstool Sports they are always posting videos of this kind of stuff going on at college parties all over the United States.  The reason why this is associated with Bills fans is Buffalo has much more of a college gameday atmosphere than any other NFL city.

I have never seen any antics at a college tailgate like I have seen in Buffalo.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I have never seen any antics at a college tailgate like I have seen in Buffalo.

Well that's because SEC schools have games worth remembering. UB and the Bills, not so much. It's became an attraction to people. I know a lot of people who go who don't like the Bills, don't care about the game, they just want to go party and day drink.

I don't go to them but a lot of these people I know also go to country concerts. Seems like a pretty similar atmosphere to me.

33 minutes ago, papazoid said:

stadium opened in 1973

lets just say an average annual attendance of 500,000 / year

that's  22 Million tailgaters

and all they can find is 10 goofballs ???

It's way worse than that, that's lying. I don't know where you guys are going to where you don't see all this crazy ****. Granted I'm not seeing a girl blow a dude for a Kiko jersey. But I seen the table jumping, beer throwing, titty flashing. All that ridicolous stuff. Maybe it's because I'm usually in the bus lot? That **** is a disaster over there.

6 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

My Pats fan friend & I were gonna come down for the Patriots game. Thing is, my friend has a habit of doing a dance every time the Patriots score. Is he better off not going due to a potential fight? 

Recommend not going to the game, but maybe watch the game from Fort Erie or off Transit near the airport.  Bring what you would have spent on tickets in dollar bills with you.  He can dance all he wants and he'll have company.   My experience is that dancing Pats fans don't fare well at New Era.

9 hours ago, H2o said:

No.  Been going to a game a year for a good 10 years and taking my kids for at least 4 (kids are 15 and 12).  Never seen a table jump or any other crazy antics.  Tailgate and game have always been an enjoyable experience.

• Thank you (+1) 1