Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I see both sides.  Bills Mafia created a buzz around the team.  Fans get a little status.  We have a rep as the craziest fans in sports.  In a way, that’s pretty cool.

but a bunch of these people are idiots trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.  I think someone is going to kill them selves trying to go viral.  I’ll be some of my tailgate parties against anyone and I’ve never had to smash a table or get so hammered, I couldn’t behave like a normal human being.

so for the most part, it doesn’t bother me, though some of these people are total clowns.  But when it starts messing with your game experience, it’s a problem.  I’ve honestly reached the point that as much as I love tailgating, I’d rather watch the game at home, a bar, or with friends.  Also if I had kids, I would never bring them to a Bills game and I’m sure that’s the least thing the team wants.

we've moved away from the extended tailgating too, but mostly due to time and effort.   we go to fewer games now for the same reasons, but the trick is to do it differently.  we now sit in the clubs to avoid all of the nonsense.  the experience is great...there's a full bar open all game, food is solid, clean bath rooms, and you keep the psychos out.   concerning bringing kids, the club is the only way i would do it at an early age.  my wife got us ticket to the home opener last year, and i was shocked by the number of families and young kids, (below 10) that were in there.  it looked like everyone was having a great time, and no children was traumatized.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

An embarrassment? Kinda, sorta. What embarrasses me is the perception that ALL Bills fans behave that way, when in reality you have to really go searching for these antics. I've been a season ticket holder for years, and have partied in a number of private lots. Only once did I ever see a guy climb up on top of a vehicle like he was going to jump off of it, only to have the private lot owners come sprinting over and yell at him to get down. 

What also embarrasses me is how these kids are just manufacturing these incidents to go for the viral videos. I guess that stems from my age, and the fact that I was one of the very last generations to come up before digital photography, smart phones and social media were the norm. I'm not saying I was a saint when I was in my 20s, but I am glad no digital recordings from that time exist. I question the incessant need to record and document these things online forevermore. 

I think it's an embarrassment to those involved but I'm not embarrassed myself.  I like the phrase Bills Mafia and get a kick out of the fact that other fans around the country know it.  Sure, some of them think the antics are more widespread but that's when I explain the origin and tell them it's a small subset of goofballs who are jumping through tables.

I'm in total agreement that it's a good thing smartphones were not around during my college years.

Just now, eball said:

I think it's an embarrassment to those involved but I'm not embarrassed myself.  I like the phrase Bills Mafia and get a kick out of the fact that other fans around the country know it.  Sure, some of them think the antics are more widespread but that's when I explain the origin and tell them it's a small subset of goofballs who are jumping through tables.

I'm in total agreement that it's a good thing smartphones were not around during my college years.

Yes, I will say that many of my friends from around the country who are fans of other teams do view Bills Mafia as largely good-natured. 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

we've moved away from the extended tailgating too, but mostly due to time and effort.   we go to fewer games now for the same reasons, but the trick is to do it differently.  we now sit in the clubs to avoid all of the nonsense.  the experience is great...there's a full bar open all game, food is solid, clean bath rooms, and you keep the psychos out.   concerning bringing kids, the club is the only way i would do it at an early age.  my wife got us ticket to the home opener last year, and i was shocked by the number of families and young kids, (below 10) that were in there.  it looked like everyone was having a great time, and no children was traumatized.  

Agreed.  I can’t believe it took me as long to go to the Jim Kelly and look at all the peasants with their long beer and bathroom lines.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Will likely end soon when someone breaks their neck and sues the Bills.

Honestly can't believe we haven't had a MAJOR injury reported yet (broken back, head, neck, paralysis, etc).

Anyone know of a serious injury yet?

A guy shattered his leg jumping through a table either last year or the year before. It was pretty gross

Just now, jimmy10 said:

Yes, I will say that many of my friends from around the country who are fans of other teams do view Bills Mafia as largely good-natured. 

Lovable idiots whose team isn’t really that threatening.  I think if the Bills were really good, other fans would hate Bills Mafia.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  I can’t believe it took me as long to go to the Jim Kelly and look at all the peasants with their long beer and bathroom lines.

that's where we typically sit.  i love that club.  i also love that no a-hole is going to ruin my experience by screaming in my face the whole game.  i really was shocked how many kids were there though.  we may even take my 7 yr old nephew this year.  i would definitely not put him in the stands at this age though.

2 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

that tends to be what i find.

1 minute ago, teef said:

that's where we typically sit.  i love that club.  i also love that no a-hole is going to ruin my experience by screaming in my face the whole game.  i really was shocked how many kids were there though.  we may even take my 7 yr old nephew this year.  i would definitely not put him in the stands at this age though.

that tends to be what i find.

A great uncle would powerbomb your nephew through a flaming table!

The “embarrassing” antics of Bills fans is the most overblown narrative on the boards the past few years. Yes, I would be embarrassed if I were on camera breaking tables or falling head first into an RV, but for the most part this isolated to a few groups of college kids. I did stupid things in college too, which also isn’t isolated to Buffalo.

I always feel the need to mention the same thing when one of these threads pops up. Compared to soccer hooligans in most of the world, drunk football fans are nothing. I have never read of a stabbing during a Bills tailgate or destructive riots. Put that in perspective.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

That in no way shape or form is ironic.

Edited by Mark80

I have to admit, it is a little embarrassing...but kinda great at the same time.  Personally, I wouldn't do it at this point in my life...but some of my fondest Bills memories revolve around under-age drinking at Rich Stadium in the early 80's.

Edited by Buftex

The only thing that concerns me, is if people like that, are going to ruin it for the fans who just want to grill and have a few beers. I don't want tailgating banned. I also don't understand how somebody would be excited to do some of the stuff we have seen on Deadspin.

I'm not embarrassed, it's all drunk idiots and credit them for being creative.  I think nationally most people view it as this.  Drinking alcohol trickling down a chick's ass?  Brady's dildo?  I had to laugh.  The only thing I've seen that compares is the Cubs fans doing the urinal trough slide.

I think nationally "Bills Mafia" has become more of a moniker to describe us passionate Bills fans, so I get why some are embarrassed by the drunk table divers et al and don't want to be associated.   But people attributed Dalton and Boyd's charitable infusion to Bills Mafia and that was one of my proudest moment as a Bills fan.   I'm ok rolling with it.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah my friends & I used to do some stupid stuff also at the Bills games when we were in our 20s.  We got kicked out one time for peeing right at our seats because we were too lazy/drunk to go to the restroom(it wasn't me that did it, it was 2 of our other friends).  That was at the Oilers Monday night game years ago in the 90s.  Then we went to otto's after we got kicked out & my friend almost got the sh*t kicked out of him because he sat down at a table with 2 guys that he didn't even know & started eating their chicken wings.  Being in my 40's now & a bit more responsible, the table thing & lighting yourself on fire, I do think is funny but I do shudder to think some of these people are probably driving home also.  I also think it is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured(paralysis etc.....)  I can't believe the one video where the guy body slammed the girl over the table that she walked away from it not injured. 

I find it entertaining and more importantly, I see people outside the Buffalo market who eat up the Bills recap on Deadspin every Monday. These people are becoming well wishers and casual fans.  The atmosphere is contagious.  My colleagues here in Houston all went to schools with major college football programs.  These LSU, A&M, Texas alums talk about wanting to see a game at New Era.  If you've ever seen an LSU tailgate you'd see that's a big compliment.

Tailgating was on its way out WAY before Bills mafia hit crashed through its first table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Will likely end soon when someone breaks their neck and sues the Bills.

Honestly can't believe we haven't had a MAJOR injury reported yet (broken back, head, neck, paralysis, etc).

Anyone know of a serious injury yet?

I believe getting so drunk that you drown in Smoke's Creek counts as a serious injury. http://grantland.com/features/the-deaths-robert-sitter-david-gerken-jr-buffalo-bills-game/

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

Well, per Kim Pegula the path to a new stadium downtown is far from clear in the current government tax climate, so that may be a moot point.

It doesn't embarrass me.  I think the people who do these things should be embarrassed for themselves.

The Faiders fans are known for gang fights in the stadium. 

The Eagles fans booed Santa Claus 

Yhe Patriots fans don’t know anything about football before 2001

Everyone else has “something” 

Can we just have something please? 

• Like (+1) 1

To paraphrase Jimmy Stewart from  It's a Wonderful life, "This kind of riff raff does most of the working, paying living, and dying in this community." Exactly who the heck is going to go to the new stadium if ticket prices are designed to keep them out?

2 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Eagles fans cheered when Michael Irvin was temporarily paralyzed on the field, broke the venerable Chief Zee's leg, and booed McNabb at the draft.  Philly fans are just bad people.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Eagles fans cheered when Michael Irvin was temporarily paralyzed on the field, broke the venerable Chief Zee's leg, and booed McNabb at the draft.  Philly fans are just bad people.

I guess that’s my point.  Breaking a table- really? that’s embarrassing? 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Embarrassing to me? No

Embarrassing to the Bill's? Yes

Embarrassing to the league? Yes

I have said it for years, current tailgating is going to be phased out over time. The teams and league are not going to continue to risk a lawsuit because of drunken idiots and their antics before games as they try to top the last video from the week before

And then they will all blame the NFL/Team and call it the "No Fun League" again. 

If it wasnt for these riff raff and viral videos...nobody outside of the bills fan base would care one ounce about Buffalo.

We obviously know how passionate we are as a fan base....but the rest of the league doesnt know or care. These videos help bring in national attention about our fanaticism. 

If you put up a national poll to every other fanbase and asked...."after seeing these bills mafia videos....do you like the bills more or less?" I would put a lot of money on MORE.

More popularity can only help the Bills.

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

It's definitely an embarrassment, for sure.

I have never witnessed someone inject so much misery and negativity as you do in the 178 posts you've thrown out here.  Why bother interacting with people or commenting if you just spew your pessimism on every single topic you have an opinion on. Begone you rain cloud

On that note there are definitely a couple dozen who give everyone a bad name.  But like others have mentioned, our biggest flaw is we party too hard and have a good time.  Being too passionate for a perpetual loser isnt the worst trait for fans to have, media amplifies everything though so what can you do.  

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I have never witnessed someone inject so much misery and negativity as you do in the 178 posts you've thrown out here.  Why bother interacting with people or commenting if you just spew your pessimism on every single topic you have an opinion on. Begone you rain cloud

On that note there are definitely a couple dozen who give everyone a bad name.  But like others have mentioned, our biggest flaw is we party too hard and have a good time.  Being too passionate for a perpetual loser isnt the worst trait for fans to have, media amplifies everything though so what can you do.  

have you met SoTier?  he makes cornette seem like an amateur.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

do you identify with everyone else that has similar interests? neither do i...

23 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

As a Bills fan, I'd like to erase my memory for everything after 2001. 

I'll tell ya what is embarrassing to me - seeing fans of other teams get berated/assaulted at our stadium.  I don't want Bills fans treated that way in other stadiums either.  We're all just supporting our team.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'll tell ya what is embarrassing to me - seeing fans of other teams get berated/assaulted at our stadium.  I don't want Bills fans treated that way in other stadiums either.  We're all just supporting our team.

my brother took a 9 volt to the coconut at a Bucs game, it was the game TKO Spikes got injured.   That kind of crap happens everywhere beer and large crowd of guys get together.   

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

You’re right.  It is a very small amount of fans that do.  I go to 1-3 games per year and while I’m not a huge tailgater, I do hang in the lots beforehand.  I’ve seen a lot of drinking for sure, but I’ve really never seen anything like table smashing or anything you’d see in these videos.  

I think the embarrassing part is when the “BillsMafia” goes down to Jacksonville, trashes their stadium and lights a big bonfire in the parking lot!  LOL.  I remember Timmy Graham coming down on fans for this

Sabres fans aren't very popular in Raleigh or Columbus, either. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Grateful Dead have a lyric: "It's 1 in 10,000 that comes for the show". I feel that way about football sometimes. If you take away the alcohol and the pre-game excess, how many would still show up? How many are truly there to watch a football game and not just to get hammered with their friends on a Sunday?

For me a game day experience is 2 parts.  A giant party before the game then the actual game itself.  Tailgating is one of the main draws for going to the game.  Drinking, grilling, playing kan jam at 9 am on a Sunday?  Awesome.  Take away tailgating? I'm not going to drive 2.5 hours each way for a 3 hour football game.  Combine the 2 and that is what I travel for!

Chalk me up as another that has never actually seen a table smash.  It isn't nearly as prevalent as it is made out to be. 

• Like (+1) 2