Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I haven't watched the second episode yet, but the first made me appreciate Hue Jackson more. I've generally liked what I've seen from him, he's landed in to dysfunctional spots that make the Bills during the drought look competent at all times.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's just how I feel watching it. It's impossible to say a guy who is 1-31 or whatever is doing a good job. But that roster has been a mess. 

Now if you're talking whole coaching staff, that meeting in the first episode looks like a train wreck where guys are challenging him. It was sharks smelling blood in the water. But his interactions with players, I generally liked it, especially the talk with Baker.

Also, all the **** he has been through and kept it to himself, stayed a professional. Didn't tell people or whine about it even though you could tell he was hurting, I thought it was admirable. That does nothing as a head coach, but I just generally find him to be a good guy. And a sympathetic figure at this point. 

I don't like a lot of NFL coaches, but I do hope somewhere, if not Cleveland, he finds success as a HC.

Wow, I came away from the first episode thinking exactly the opposite -- he's a terrible head coach!  I have empathy for his family losses, but aside from that I thought he looked clueless.

Staff is a mess and Haley knows it. I liked how he called out resting starters due to bumps and nicks in practice in the first episode as the players are not ready. Hue basically just said it's my call and deal with it. 

Going to be a long year for the Browns

• Like (+1) 1

What I think Hard Knocks does, and this goes to the Hue Jackson issue of his loss, is it humanizes the coaches and players. It demonstrates that the players, while trying to make the team or improve the team and do well, also have families, interests, concerns, challenges, and disappointments or loss in their lives. I find that aspect of it fascinating. Not to say we don't already know these men are human beings, but it is easy to be disassociated with their humanity. Hard Knocks helps to bring some of that back into focus.

As for Hue, just about everyone has said it, I feel bad for the guy because you can see he's trying - but you can also see he's in way over his head. The loss of his brother and mother in a short time at what is probably the most crucial period of his professional life, is significant amount of trauma to manage in the midst of having all of the work pressures come to bear. That said, Haley to me is funny in some respects but in other ways he's an impish, arrogant d-bag. Greggo just feels the need to always try and bully his players rather than inspire them - and, while it may or may not be true - the "heart" of that team feels....manufactured in my opinion. I'll watch next week for many of the reasons mentioned plus they play the Bills....so, of course I'll watch. But, that team really seems like a cluster of dysfunction. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's probably this way with a lot/almost every NFL team, but as someone that's currently going through "High Powered Organizations in the 21st Century" training this week, watching the way the Browns operate is such a shock to the system; they pretty much go against everything that you learn about how a well-functioning organization should be run.

It’s almost like a Hard Knocks parody. They look ridiculous. Having to yell at players not to stand around at camp - he looked like a frustrated dad of lazy teenagers. Are none of them self-motivated? Are there any vocal leaders on the team other than Landry (who have that speech last week but what’s he doing on the field to drive some accountability)? It’s just the coaches yelling not to stand around but then they make njoku catch 30 balls off the jugs machine and sit there in folding chairs watching him instead of actually teaching him the fundamentals of catching which he clearly needs. It reminds me of how Rex’s camp probably was. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Haley is a tough to like but has had success as an OC.  

Hue Jackson seems like a classier version of Rex Ryan...but not by a whole lot.  

Williams...ugh.  

Still feel that letting Tyrod go and be left with Peterman and Mcarron to mentor Allen was a big mistake.   I just like his character and athleticism.  

The coverage of the Coleman trade left me wondering what the heck this guy is all about and hope he doesn’t become a distraction.  

But all in all watching Hard Knocks (despite the cheesy fluff) made me really happy that it’s football season again!

Go Bills!

Me too...the problem is his passing

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s almost like a Hard Knocks parody. They look ridiculous. Having to yell at players not to stand around at camp - he looked like a frustrated dad of lazy teenagers. Are none of them self-motivated? Are there any vocal leaders on the team other than Landry (who have that speech last week but what’s he doing on the field to drive some accountability)? It’s just the coaches yelling not to stand around but then they make njoku catch 30 balls off the jugs machine and sit there in folding chairs watching him instead of actually teaching him the fundamentals of catching which he clearly needs. It reminds me of how Rex’s camp probably was. 

I believe the Browns FO has a say what's going to be shown?  I wonder if they want Hue to look ridiculous or they just don't know he looks ridiculous and think it's normal.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe the Browns FO has a say what's going to be shown?  I wonder if they want Hue to look ridiculous or they just don't know he looks ridiculous and think it's normal.

I mean, it's "possible", but given Dorsey's resume and other coaches he's been with, I find it hard to believe he thinks Hue is coaching in a way or at a level he thinks is championship caliber. Honestly, and many of us have speculated the same thing since Dorsey retained Hue, I think Dorsey is merely allowing Hue to demonstrate his incompetence for this year so he can either promote Haley or bring in someone else. Getting Tyrod for him probably allows him to appear as though they're trying to win this year, when in reality, they're all holding their spots until Mayfield is ready. And Landry's contract and signing is also more about the years to come than the present. JMO....

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Lol thanks have a good one. Worried about him being a good HC, are you illiterate? 

Just put me on ignore. Don't care what you think. 

I completely agree with you on this. That's why I'm saying the assistants look like sharks smelling blood in the water. Both Haley and Williams, and probably a few others took those jobs to advance themselves. Hopefully get a few games as interim HC, win a game or two and pit their name in the mix for another HC job.

I 100% agree with you on this. Williams or Haley will be primed to take over. And when they do, they’ll be the ones that start their new shiny toy - Baker Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I mean, it's "possible", but given Dorsey's resume and other coaches he's been with, I find it hard to believe he thinks Hue is coaching in a way or at a level he thinks is championship caliber. Honestly, and many of us have speculated the same thing since Dorsey retained Hue, I think Dorsey is merely allowing Hue to demonstrate his incompetence for this year so he can either promote Haley or bring in someone else. Getting Tyrod for him probably allows him to appear as though they're trying to win this year, when in reality, they're all holding their spots until Mayfield is ready. And Landry's contract and signing is also more about the years to come than the present. JMO....

That's what I was getting at.  It makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

-I don't think there's a person coach in the entire world sports more unlikable than Gregg Williams.

Fixed

13 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Hue seems like a dad that is trying to be cool and be friends with his kids and their friends, but also trying unsuccessfully to be the authority figure.  A guy that the kids humor so they can get away with whatever they want.  

He looked so weak when standing up there saying “yo if you get in trouble, you get one mulligan! Just one though and you better not lie!” Meanwhile josh Gordon is still on the team... Then has Calloway come up like a 4th grader and forced apology in front of the class which was unintelligible. 

You just know the team does not respect him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought the Njoku ball machine scene was the most bizarre yet.  A bunch of dumpy front office people and coaches lounging about - just staring indifferently at a guy catching balls from a jugs machine (30 times!)  Then they tried to add gravity to the scene by adding music and slow motion and ... the countdown.  I think you described it perfectly - a lot of times it's been like a Hard Knocks parody.

Also - relative to other comments about Hue - I don't even find him likeable - just a kind of an ineffectual dolt

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

One note on the whole Hue thing, it just goes to show why you need an ENTIRE organization pulling (or maybe pushing) in one direction.  When you have a GM that doesn't seem very communicative, a Pro Personal guy that didn't seem prepared, O and D Coordinators that seem to be circling the blood in the water and waiting for their shot, coaches that aren't motivating players, you have a recipe for disaster...

Makes me glad to see the stability we're seeing from Beane and McD - everyone really seems to be on the same page.  Hue is a nice guy, but he has to be glad he has Tyrod there to act as Assistant Head Coach!

Regarding Coleman, the guy has more shoes than me!  Impressive collection.  Also, the Browns WR coach and room didn't seem too stoked on seeing him traded "He's not here anymore, we have to move on with who we have in the room."  So was he a malcontent not learning the position, or was he a valuable teammate respected by his peers?  We're about to find out.  Pretty clear HE thinks he should be running with the 1s...

Also, the scenes where Calloway KNEW he had been busted, but hadn't told the team were interesting - they could all sense something was wrong.  As was said, his apology to the team was terrible - a key to an apology is, you know, MEANING it.  And no is going to mention the Browns "punishment" - playing the entire game?  As stupid as the 30 catches on the juggs machine.  Yes he caught a TD, but he was also exhausted and could have easily been injured.  You don't break your only good WR to "teach him a lesson", IMO.

Looking forward to seeing our boys come to town next week!  Lots of hugs for Tyrod and Calloway, I'm guessing. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Seriously what a disaster that organization is. I cant help but think there is only 32 NFL Head Coaching jobs in the country and Hue Jackson has one of them. 

best part is Hue handles pressers with more arrogance than Belichick deserves.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Check out the in depth series on Amazon Prime with the Dallas Cowboys from last year. Really gained a lot of respect for that org after watching that. Garrett is a coach of men.

The All or Nothing series on Prime is superb and far better. They did the Rams and Cardinals before the Cowboys and they did the University of Michigan Football for the first college one.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So true ... it’s fascinating

i taped Browns games just for him angrily wondering why the media was asking him about the latest abortion on the field

he never lets me down

Mark:

At least I never have to hear Troy Aikman say, “Let’s see what Dom Capers draws up here.”

Nathan:

I’d rather open the Ark Of The Covenant than witness another pass from Brett Hundley.

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the all orange helmet with no stripe is actually kinda cool?

It's like they said "we have the most boring helmet in football - how to we make it even less interesting.  Oh I know - take away the stripe and the shine"

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

It's like they said "we have the most boring helmet in football - how to we make it even less interesting.  Oh I know - take away the stripe and the shine"

Techincally they didn’t do away with the stripe. Hue Jackson had them removed to literally “make the players earn their stripes”. 

lol 

What will be interesting to see is if they put the stripes back on the helmet one by one (when they feel a player has legitimately earned it) or all at once (which would make removing them in the first place look like a bigger gimmick than it already does...). 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Techincally they didn’t do away with the stripe. Hue Jackson had them removed to literally “make the players earn their stripes”. 

lol 

What will be interesting to see is if they put the stripes back on the helmet one by one (when they feel a player has legitimately earned it) or all at once (which would make removing them in the first place look like a bigger gimmick than it already does...). 

I will guess that they get put back on right after the cut to 53. “Everyone who makes the 53 gets their stripes back,” followed by apathetic applause, and a shot of the talented, but unhinged Jarvis Landry, “bless ‘em...”

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

lol 

They do this at Ohio State but only for the freshmen. They start with a black stripe on their helmets and it gets ceremoniously removed once they hit certain milestones on the field and in the classroom. They don’t  do it for the whole  team though, they’ve already become official buckeyes. I’ve never seen it done at the nfl level. These guys make millions per year, doubt they care about a helmet stripe 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They do this at Ohio State but only for the freshmen. They start with a black stripe on their helmets and it gets ceremoniously removed once they hit certain milestones on the field and in the classroom. They don’t  do it for the whole  team though, they’ve already become official buckeyes. I’ve never seen it done at the nfl level. These guys make millions per year, doubt they care about a helmet stripe 

you are inviting ttun fans to speculate on what a classroom achievement constitutes???  :D

9 hours ago, eball said:

Wow, I came away from the first episode thinking exactly the opposite -- he's a terrible head coach!  I have empathy for his family losses, but aside from that I thought he looked clueless.

How so? I don't mean that dismissively I mean that honestly. I'm open to other opinions.

Except for pimpin bills, a white kid rotating through Katt Williams avatars in 2018 is like 15 years behind the game.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

19 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

But he knew Dez Bryant's age ?

Haley in the 1st half of the episode had me thinking "Man, he's a no nonsense guy."  By the end though, including that segment about the name Carl (What, is he 12?), I decided he's just an a$$&@!

I remember watching that Browns/Giants game when Callaway broke the long one thinking why, if he's now considered first team, is he still in there late in the 3rd quarter?  It was "punishment"?  So, if he ended up getting hurt because he played the whole game, would they just say "Next man up!" and/or "Let's sign Dez"?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Haley in the 1st half of the episode had me thinking "Man, he's a no nonsense guy."  By the end though, including that segment about the name Carl (What, is he 12?), I decided he's just an a$$&@!

I remember watching that Browns/Giants game when Callaway broke the long one thinking why, if he's now considered first team, is he still in there late in the 3rd quarter?  It was "punishment"?  So, if he ended up getting hurt because he played the whole game, would they just say "Next man up!" and/or "Let's sign Dez"?

The punishment seemed a bit excessive to me but who knows maybe that's the type of motivation Calloway works well with, he seemed to with that end play but only time will really tell, Either way I think the Browns are doomed because of Hue Jackson. I'll admit I liked Jackson's resume when he was available and thought pairing him with Schwartz would have served us well, yet now that I see his "this is my team and I will run it my approach" I question it. Toss on Tyrod trying to tell him he was do things wrong doesn't seem good. That said the whole organization is a mess but that falls more on the owner than anyone. 

I dont have HBO so I had to rely on the very brief you tube they did of the Corey Colemen trade

Are coaches really screaming at him as to why he isnt catching a ball when a defender had ahold of his jersey the WHOLE fricken play?   Did that really happen?  How about screaming at your db that he is gonna get a flag on that play.

And no....those passes were NOT hitting him in the chest.

I have no idea how Colemen is gonna work out....but these cleveland coaches look like absolute idiots.   Colemen isnt some 6' plus 200 pound plus wideout that is gonna out muscule defensive backs that are riding his jersey through the whole route.....he is a burner who gets behind a defense and either catches the ball (or doesnt) or draws a PI call from crap like that.

8 hours ago, Bandito said:

Check out the in depth series on Amazon Prime with the Dallas Cowboys from last year. Really gained a lot of respect for that org after watching that. Garrett is a coach of men.

I've been enjoying the Cowboy cheerleader show more. And even with all the eye candy it seems better run than the Browns Football team.

30 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Yeah, "punishment." I can imagine some of their bubble WRs talking to each other, "man, maybe I should go out and get busted this weekend so I can get some of that punishment?"