Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

1 hour ago, JaxBills said:

I'm not saying their isn't a problem.   Saying passing the buck and blaming the school and not our culture will just exacerbate the problem.  

We are now a "it's not my fault" country.

It is a cultural issue; an American culture issue.  We play fast and loose with the future. Not even getting into the depths of education, schools teach various types of Math, Science, English, various languages.  Why?  Because at the various levels of education they are seen as building blocks for success and well roundedness.  There are even vocational classes for kids who are electronically or mechanically inclined. So pragmatism obviously has a place in our education system.

Why is financial literacy, which helps a citizen throughout their life, but especially as they near retirement, not taught as well?  I don't blame the school, I blame the Dept. of Education and local school boards.  In a capitalist system that will spit out so many,  especially the elderly, finance should be the one necessity that all schools teach.  But then that might level the playing field a bit... ?

Edited by purple haze
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaxBills said:

Do you just go ahead and trust the bank?  Do you wait for them to give you a statement and believe it?  If so, I'm sorry.  Even if you don't use checks anymore, you still balance your check book.  That's how adults refer to the process of making sure you spend less than you earn.  It is the process of NOT living pay check to pay check.   

I'm sure your older siblings used checks if they were born in the 80's.  Ask them kid.

Still doesn't change my point.  Regardless, it's not a school problem.  And putting the lack of good parenting on the school is not the answer. 

I'm not saying their isn't a problem.   Saying passing the buck and blaming the school and not our culture will just exacerbate the problem.  

We are now a "it's not my fault" country.

Wait, you also get PAPER statements?  Like, in the MAIL!?  You do know that's all online, live, in real time now, right?  Heck, you probably go to the bank to deposit checks too and don't use Mint to make sure that you're not spending more than you earn...

And yeah, I'm 45+ so I've written my fair share of checks.  Sorry, just couldn't resist a touch of luddite ball breaking, this is a BROWNS thread after all! ?? 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Who the hell uses a checkbook anymore? What’re you guys in your 80s?

(80s is the new 70s, btw.)

I don't, but I used to, and as a general point, it was something one might have learned in a school setting back in the day.  Which is not saying much.

This episode made me hate Jarvis Landry even more than I already did. He seems very thin skinned.

Hearing him unapologetically talk about that hit on the sideline confirmed what we all already knew - his “sorries” after those dirty hits of his are nothing but lip service. It’s his MO. He said the same BS after the Aaron Williams hit, and after he laid out Patrick Chung with that viscous head shot. I didn’t think thr Johnson hit was nearly as dirty as some of his hits in the past. But it still left a bad taste in my mouth. 

That episode also, IMO, made it Very clear that this coaching staff is not even close to being on the same page. 

Haley and Hue seem at odds. Haley and Greggo seem at odds.

They almost give the impression they are working against each other at time. 

I also also had to LOL at the whole “the Browns are about to make a meteoric rise” theme of this hard Knocks episode... I just don’t see it. But I hope I am wrong for Browns fans sake. 

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I also also had to LOL at the whole “the Browns are about to make a meteoric rise” theme of this hard Knocks episode... I just don’t see it. But I hope I am wrong for Browns fans sake. 

I recall the narrator saying something similar to them ‘rising’. That has not happened yet though the bar is very low. Until they win 1 game, that ‘rise’ hasn’t begun.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All coaches swear and cuss, it's a matter of how you use it.

I think for guys like Gregg Williams and Mike Waufle, the constant swearing really overshadows their message.

Whereas guys like Sean McD and Jason Garrett use it well. They swear sometimes so you know that when they do, they are serious.

I think the original point was a good one though - when I hear these guys just going off with over the top swearing it personally turns me off to what they are saying .   I understand it's a different environment (literally locker room talk), but gratuitous over-use can really cause the underlying message (if there is one) to be lost.  Not just coaches either .  It's one thing to throw a and F bomb or two in for emphasis - but to do it every other word like Landry's eye rolling rant just shows lack of intelligence and ability to communicate IMO

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Carl Nassib’s investment tutorial 

Where he told the other guys in the room that they can expect 10% return on their money every year.  So funny!

Also, this series really shows why the Browns have only won a game under poor Hue Jackson.  He's in no way a Head Coach, at all.  He's a guy who wants to be the players' pal.  He does zero coaching.  Dorsey is a moron perfectly fit for the Browns.  At least Haley and Gregg are coaching, somewhat.

Edited by Mr. WEO

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

It is a cultural issue; an American culture issue.  We play fast and loose with the future. Not even getting into the depths of education, schools teach various types of Math, Science, English, various languages.  Why?  Because at the various levels of education they are seen as building blocks for success and well roundedness.  There are even vocational classes for kids who are electronically or mechanically inclined. So pragmatism obviously has a place in our education system.

Why is financial literacy, which helps a citizen throughout their life, but especially as they near retirement, not taught as well?  I don't blame the school, I blame the Dept. of Education and local school boards.  In a capitalist system that will spit out so many,  especially the elderly, finance should be the one necessity that all schools teach.  But then that might level the playing field a bit... ?

Wow I haven't read the whole thread that led to this post, but I couldn't agree with this post more. I love it, I say the same thing. Financial literacy needs to have more of an emphasis in our educational system. I'm amazed by what people tell me.

I had a guy who comes into my work, in his 40s. Nice guy but could tell didn't have anything more education above high school because of his job. Card routinely declined for extremely small amounts for months. One day finally says, I just found out my card gets declined because I make the minimum payment but then the interest hits and puts me above the limit. The fact he didn't understand credit cards and this went on for so long was amazing.

I also dated a girl, who went to U of R, and when discussing if I was going to go to Law school or not, she always pushed for it. I explained to her my concern that taking on 150k plus in additional debt at my age, for being the kind of attorney I'd want to be, which the mean salary is 50-60k, not a great raise for me. Her response was, debt doesn't really exist. I asked her to explain and she couldn't. She's 300+ in debt now, makes good money but with her cost of living plus that. It's lunacy. I'm by no means and expert and idk if she was some undercover Keynesian economics believer. It was just mind blowing to me someone I respect for being so intelligent could have such a blind spot.

Sorry way off topic, but loved the post and discussing this stuff.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Where he told the other guys in the room that they can expect 10% return on their money every year.  So funny!

Also, this series really shows why the Browns have only won a game under poor Hue Jackson.  He's in no way a Head Coach, at all.  He's a guy who wants to be the players' pal.  He does zero coaching.  Dorsey is a moron perfectly fit for the Browns.  At least Haley and Gregg are coaching, somewhat.

Am I the only one who thinks Nassib has no idea, well I won't say no idea, but is confusing figures?

Isn't it that the stock market averaged a 10% return per a decade over the last century? He's just telling guys to invest or save and you'll get 10%. He's nuts. People like him are partially why the 30 for 30 on broke athletes exists. I do think his heart is in the right place though, not that it means anything regarding money.

• Like (+1) 3

It has been really interesting getting to watch ‘Hard Knocks’ on Tuesday and then ‘Buffalo Bills:Embedded’ the following day. 

Getting to compare the 2 side by side, I could not be happier that Buffalo has the coaching staff we do.

It makes me feel very lucky. For too many years Buffalo would have been that disfunctional browns team/staff that we are seeing on Hard Knocks. 

I also have to say... I kind of feel like an idiot for ever wishing we had hired Hue Jackson.... lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

If you need to swear that much then you're not an effective communicator, let alone teacher, let alone coach.  If you need it, then it should be a punctuation at best -sparingly.  If you need to punctuate everything you say, then maybe you you need to re-evaluate your message.   To me it drives a wedge between the coach and the team; makes players feel disrespected and resentful.  Coaches should be inspirational, not scornful and feared.

Edited by wiskibreth

Anyone else just LOVE Greggo’s reaction after the Allen TD? Man, I despise that guy. He’s really being shown to be nothing more than a foul-mouthed idiot in this show. And trust me, I’m not shy about cursing. I’ve never been more certain of anything than knowing he absolutely was putting out bounties on players while in New Orleans. 

17 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The thing I take away from this show is how cussing causes you to lose your message quick. Now, maybe that same level of cussing goes on in the Bills coaching ranks too, I dont know. Byt damn does it make those coaches sound dumb

Sorry, I lost your meassage

14 hours ago, purple haze said:

I’ve heard too many stories about couples where only one takes care of the finances.  Then that person dies and the other doesn’t have a clue what to do.

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I’ve heard too many stories about couples where only one takes care of the finances.  Then that person dies and the other doesn’t have a clue what to do.

Oh man. I'm a reasonably successful business owner. But, if my wife passed, I'd be lost!

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Sorry, I lost your meassage

touche..but damn, damn ain't no freaking cuss word!if it gets on this board, it aint a cuss!!!?

6 hours ago, wiskibreth said:

If you need to swear that much then you're not an effective communicator, let alone teacher, let alone coach.  If you need it, then it should be a punctuation at best -sparingly.  If you need to punctuate everything you say, then maybe you you need to re-evaluate your message.   To me it drives a wedge between the coach and the team; makes players feel disrespected and resentful.  Coaches should be inspirational, not scornful and feared.

i watched episode 3 earlier..and the one player talking crap on Haley I think demonstrates your point to a T

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It has been really interesting getting to watch ‘Hard Knocks’ on Tuesday and then ‘Buffalo Bills:Embedded’ the following day. 

Getting to compare the 2 side by side, I could not be happier that Buffalo has the coaching staff we do.

It makes me feel very lucky. For too many years Buffalo would have been that disfunctional browns team/staff that we are seeing on Hard Knocks. 

I also have to say... I kind of feel like an idiot for ever wishing we had hired Hue Jackson.... lol. 

Keep in mind HBO isn't affiliated with the Browns while Buffalo Bills Embedded is produced by the Bills marketing team.  We're edited to look good.  However, we seem to have a more cohesive coaching unit.  Haley and Williams (especially Williams) come across as hard line douchebags who are pry both eyeing Hue Jackson's spot with them both being former head coaches.  Hue Jackson will be one of those coaches who is a better coordinator than a head coach.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Keep in mind HBO isn't affiliated with the Browns while Buffalo Bills Embedded is produced by the Bills marketing team.  We're edited to look good.  However, we seem to have a more cohesive coaching unit.  Haley and Williams (especially Williams) come across as hard line douchebags who are pry both eyeing Hue Jackson's spot with them both being former head coaches.  Hue Jackson will be one of those coaches who is a better coordinator than a head coach.

Their coordinators are both overly intense. There’s no real balance between their staff.

McD is level headed and keeps everyone in sync. He sets the tone and direction. Hue just kind of acts like a counselor to the players. He doesn’t know he’s in over his head. 

Leslie is the exact opposite of Gregg Williams. Leslie is cool, calm, and collected. He seems to be a good man. Someone you could follow. Gregg on the other hand is boisterous and seems to be bipolar, like anything could set him off. Sounds like he doesn’t have control either, like Hue. It’s a recipe for penalties and inconsistent play. 

5 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I think it’s more important that students learn about cultural diversity than finances. 

I think you might be joking...but if you are not...can you explain why you think cultural diversity training is more important than financial training?  Knowing how to manage your money, and ultimately your entire life and future would certainly appear to be more valuable than being "woke".

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

I think you might be joking...but if you are not...can you explain why you think cultural diversity training is more important than financial training?  Knowing how to manage your money, and ultimately your entire life and future would certainly appear to be more valuable than being "woke".

Why not both?

18 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

My wife and I share the finances - I earn it, she spends it.

• Haha (+1) 3

Williams has had a stop at TEN TEAMS in this league he keeps getting work...and high paying work too.

He must be some kind of genius.  

Which is fascinating, b/c he comes across like a freaking idiot on Hard Knocks.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Josh Gordon is going to torpedo that entire team. 

I liked the scene where the 2 kids in the crowd were  saying "Welcome back, Flash!"  and he went over and gave them his gloves.

The one kid's mind was blown!  He'll talk about that forever.

The stuff with Tyrod's hand being injured was tough to watch.  He seemed like he was really in pain screaming in that tent thing.

17 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

When he was giving Orchard tips on his stance after practice.

Thanks. I don't think that was scripted.

Garrett seems like a really good guy, as does Orchard.

I actually kind of grew to like the whole bunch that they focused on.  Tough episode to see everyone getting the ax.

• Like (+1) 1