Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

44 minutes ago, Heitz said:

My notes:

- Hue seems to nice

- Dorsey is awkward

- Baker comes across as entitled (when talking about the RV "Most places the rookies buy dinner, not here.  Not the Cleveland Browns.  I had to get my own RV" - which, I'm not even sure how the two were related)

- "Ain't now stopping us now", LITERALLY "earn your stripes" :rolls eyes:

- Compounding Interest - pay attention kids.

- Even Gregg Williams thinks Gregg Williams is an !@#$

- Feel sorry for Hue and all his family losses

- Lots of dogging going on in Browns camp - loved Landry giving it to 'em, though where are the coaches?

- "Signing bonus and school"?  Really - signing bonus?

- Seems like the staff thinks that Hue is being too soft on the players, letting guys sit out; Todd Haley rolling his eyes...

- Tyrod getting dogged for being old - at 29

Anyone that says they don't want to see the Bills on this, is crazy. :D

Hue reminds me of Rex Ryan a little bit. I get the impression from him that he wants to be friends with the players, and that he thinks he can just talk big and big things will happen. Like, if he can just motivate the guys, they can win

The dumb gimmicks reminded me of Rex, too. The “earns your stripes” and how he jumped in the lake and said “the losing is cleansed. Now we are going to start winning!”. lol 

And how about talking about playing for a Super Bowl this season (lol)? 

I’d imagine it’s hard for players to take a coach serious in a situation like that. I mean, you’re 1-32 over the last 2 years. I get that the ultimate goal is a SB. But why not set more realistic goals first? Like how McDermott came in with the “playoff caliber” mantra. You have to walk before you can run... 

I saw a lot of bluster with little of substance to back it up. I didn’t see the attention to detail, or a clear plan on how they are actually going to go about getting better. 

Definitely felt for Hue though, with the loss of his mother+brother. Seeing him crying was tough. 

I also agree about Baker. I said the exact same thing. I thought he was acting kind of entitled and kind of like he’d already arrived. Btw, who was that skinny kid with him? Was that a member of his entourage? lol 

It’s only one episode, but from what I’ve seen so far I was left feeling that the Browns probably aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, and maybe not (going anywhere) under Hue Jackson at all.

edit - also wanted to add, on Landry’s speech -

I liked seeing him step up and take charge, but I don’t know that I fully agree with what he chose to take a stand on. 

Had he called them out for effort level, or attention to detail/sloppiness, work ethic etc. I would have applauded.

But to call guys out for not playing through injuries during the first week of training camp? Especially when it sound alike it’s Hue that’s holding guys out for precautionary measures...? 

Edited by BillsFan4

I need to check Carl Nassib's math before I hire him as my accountant.

Also, I can see why the Browns are 1-31 under Hue Jackson.  The guy couldn't motivate a fat kid to run after an ice cream truck.

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
31 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hue reminds me of Rex Ryan a little bit. I get the impression from him that he wants to be friends with the players, and that he thinks he can just talk big and big things will happen. Like, if he can just motivate the guys, they can win

The dumb gimmicks reminded me of Rex, too. The “earns your stripes” and how he jumped in the lake and said “the losing is cleansed. Now we are going to start winning!”. lol 

I’d imagine it’s hard for players to take a coach serious in a situation like that. I mean, you’re 1-32 over the last 2 years. I get that the ultimate goal is a SB. But why not set more realistic goals first? Like how McDermott came in with the “playoff caliber” mantra. You have to walk before you can run... 

I saw a lot of bluster with little of substance to back it up. I didn’t see the attention to detail, or a clear plan on how they are actually going to go about getting better. 

Definitely felt for Hue though, with the loss of his mother+brother. Seeing him crying was tough. 

I also agree about Baker. I said the exact same thing. I thought he was acting kind of entitled and kind of like he’d already arrived. Btw, who was that skinny kid with him? Was that a member of his entourage? lol 

It’s only one episode, but from what I’ve seen so far I was left feeling that the Browns probably aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, and maybe not (going anywhere) under Hue Jackson at all.

I liked seeing him step up and take charge, but I don’t know that I fully agree with what he chose to take a stand on. 

Had he called them out for effort level, or attention to detail/sloppiness, work ethic etc. I would have applauded.

But to call guys out for not playing through injuries during the first week of training camp? Especially when it sound alike it’s Hue that’s holding guys out for precautionary measures...? 

London game last year versus the Vikings and  the Browns had 1st and goal inside the 5 with under a minute left in the first half.  They got stopped on a first down run and immediately called a timeout when they didn't need to.  They scored a TD on the next play but left just enough time on the clock to let the Vikings drive and use their own timeouts to kick a long field goal before the half.  If the Browns had not used that timeout the Vikings would not have had time to score.  The Browns had I think all of their timeouts and could have prevented the Vikings from having any chance of getting a FG if they had managed the clock well.  This is just one example of Hue Jackson.  He is not HC material.

In Marv Levy's autobiography, he states that in order for a team to achieve greatness, there needs to be a united vision and high quality people from the top down. Owner, GM, head coach, players. 

When I look at the Browns, I see a shady and criminal owner, a general manager on his second GM job and whose vision is not united with that of his head coach, and a head coach who has proven that he can't get the job done (1-31). In short, I see dysfunction, ineptitude, and a lack of cohesive vision. The Coleman - Calloway thing illustrates this point perfectly: The drafting of a player with off-field issues in Calloway (don't forget, Dorsey also drafted Tyreek "choking pregnant ladies" Hill), the unloading of a player that the head coach was not willing to coach up, the team not being aware that Calloway had even BEEN arrested until after they had already traded away Coleman, the fact that they gave up on a high 1st round pick for a bag of peanuts after only two seasons...just dysfunction and ineptitude from top to bottom.

Looking at it from afar makes me incredibly, INCREDIBLY thankful that the Bills were bought by people like the Pegulas rather than someone like Jimmy Haslam, that they seem to have hired quality people as general manager and head coach, and that the entire front office as well as ownership seem to have a clear and united vision. I feel bad for Browns fans and hope things turn around for them. Unfortunately, keeping what Marv said in mind and feeling how I do about Jimmy Haslam, I don't see things turning around any time soon in Cleveland. I hope, for their fans' sake, that I'm wrong. Either way, I'll say it again: I am so thankful for the current direction of the Bills from the top down.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I expect next week’s episode to paint Coleman in a very negative light so they control the narrative on the trade

They're going to say it was Coleman's weed in Callaway's car ?

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/26/2018 at 5:49 AM, Teddy KGB said:

The parents are baked.    The mj industry is blowing up.     

Smoke > Drink all day long.  

Some have things to do the next day 

This is a very localized and/or self-absorbed opinion. Not on this board, but I'd be interested to see where you draw your conclusions from. The marijuana industry is not "blowing up"; even in states where it has been legalized it is having financial problems. And voting in those states and border states has been fairly high in discussion about the legalization. Not that it's likely to be overturned, but to say "no one cares" is an overstatement.

I personally couldn't care less if a person who depends on being at peak physical capacity in a sport that includes the top .00000002% of the world's population (to be fair, the top .00004% of the US) wants to take a depressant. But the NFL can't afford to do as you are and assume that your perspective is every one else's view, including advertisers. Why do you think the kneeling for the anthem is such a big deal to the NFL? Same concerns.

Edited by timekills17

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

My notes:

- Hue seems to nice

- Dorsey is awkward

- Baker comes across as entitled (when talking about the RV "Most places the rookies buy dinner, not here.  Not the Cleveland Browns.  I had to get my own RV" - which, I'm not even sure how the two were related)

- "Ain't now stopping us now", LITERALLY "earn your stripes" :rolls eyes:

- Compounding Interest - pay attention kids.

- Even Gregg Williams thinks Gregg Williams is an !@#$

- Feel sorry for Hue and all his family losses

- Lots of dogging going on in Browns camp - loved Landry giving it to 'em, though where are the coaches?

- "Signing bonus and school"?  Really - signing bonus?

- Seems like the staff thinks that Hue is being too soft on the players, letting guys sit out; Todd Haley rolling his eyes...

- Tyrod getting dogged for being old - at 29

Anyone that says they don't want to see the Bills on this, is crazy. :D

Gregg doesn't like Gregg lol !!

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haley rolling his eyes at Hue was the best moment .... as if Hue-bris would ever take advice from the guy who just came from the team that had been kicking the ass of that division for 15 years...

Baker looks like a 40 year old math teacher 

You just hate Baker lol !

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My biggest takeaway is that Gregg Williams is still so unlikeable. He just genuinely seems like a terrible person. 

Ruined our awesome Wade Phillips defense and shipped out my favorite NT Big Ted Washington. I was pretty pissed about that , glad he got canned.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

In Marv Levy's autobiography, he states that in order for a team to achieve greatness, there needs to be a united vision and high quality people from the top down. Owner, GM, head coach, players

When I look at the Browns, I see a shady and criminal owner, a general manager on his second GM job and whose vision is not united with that of his head coach, and a head coach who has proven that he can't get the job done (1-31). In short, I see dysfunction, ineptitude, and a lack of cohesive vision. The Coleman - Calloway thing illustrates this point perfectly: The drafting of a player with off-field issues in Calloway (don't forget, Dorsey also drafted Tyreek "choking pregnant ladies" Hill), the unloading of a player that the head coach was not willing to coach up, the team not being aware that Calloway had even BEEN arrested until after they had already traded away Coleman, the fact that they gave up on a high 1st round pick for a bag of peanuts after only two seasons...just dysfunction and ineptitude from top to bottom.

Looking at it from afar makes me incredibly, INCREDIBLY thankful that the Bills were bought by people like the Pegulas rather than someone like Jimmy Haslam, that they seem to have hired quality people as general manager and head coach, and that the entire front office as well as ownership seem to have a clear and united vision. I feel bad for Browns fans and hope things turn around for them. Unfortunately, keeping what Marv said in mind and feeling how I do about Jimmy Haslam, I don't see things turning around any time soon in Cleveland. I hope, for their fans' sake, that I'm wrong. Either way, I'll say it again: I am so thankful for the current direction of the Bills from the top down.

This is why  we will be winning Super Bowls.

4 hours ago, timekills17 said:

This is a very localized and/or self-absorbed opinion. Not on this board, but I'd be interested to see where you draw your conclusions from. The marijuana industry is not "blowing up"; even in states where it has been legalized it is having financial problems. And voting in those states and border states has been fairly high in discussion about the legalization. Not that it's likely to be overturned, but to say "no one cares" is an overstatement.

I personally couldn't care less if a person who depends on being at peak physical capacity in a sport that includes the top .00000002% of the world's population (to be fair, the top .00004% of the US) wants to take a depressant. But the NFL can't afford to do as you are and assume that your perspective is every one else's view, including advertisers. Why do you think the kneeling for the anthem is such a big deal to the NFL? Same concerns.

Meh.  Legal pot everywhere in the USA is coming soon.

The country woke up pretty quickly with gay marriage and pot is next.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Gregg doesn't like Gregg lol !!

You just hate Baker lol !

No way, 6 is great. Never hated Baker.

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I asked the same thing about who the kid was with Baker. Fall guy? :)

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gregggg is insufferable as ever 

“I turned down 7 other jobs to come here”

:lol:

Every time I see him I want to take a shower

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My biggest takeaway is that Gregg Williams is still so unlikeable. He just genuinely seems like a terrible person. 

He is the definition of doosh

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No way, 6 is great. Never hated Baker.

I asked the same thing about who the kid was with Baker. Fall guy? :)

Wasn't the kid with Baker his brother?

Re: The RV thing and Mayfield's comment ""Most places the rookies buy dinner, not here.  Not the Cleveland Browns.  I had to get my own RV" - I read that as someone made Mayfield pay for the RV as a rookie type hazing thing, but I don't understand who or why someone would do that - you would think as the vet Tyrod would be calling the shots, but that doesn't seem like something he would do

I thought Landry's "F bomb" speech was cringe worthy - could almost hear the thoughts of others in the the room shut the F up and sit down.  Same with Greggo - how honestly could anyone be motivated to play for that a-hole.  He's up there bloviating and you know everyone is just thinking "Shut the F up you pretentious blustering man-boobed blowhard".  

Dorsey just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

On the preview for next week there's a quick clip of "Former first round pick gets traded"  Coleman looks to be frustrated talking to a coach - will be interesting if there was some confrontation related to the trade or it was just some unrelated footage they threw in there.  

Edited by stevewin

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Wasn't the kid with Baker his brother?

Re: The RV thing and Mayfield's comment ""Most places the rookies buy dinner, not here.  Not the Cleveland Browns.  I had to get my own RV" - I read that as someone made Mayfield pay for the RV as a rookie type hazing thing, but I don't understand who or why someone would do that - you would think as the vet Tyrod would be calling the shots, but that doesn't seem like something he would do

I thought Landry's "F" speech was cringe worthy - could almost hear the thoughts of others in the the room shut the F up and sit down.  Same with Greggo - how honestly could anyone be motivated to play for that a-hole.  He's up there bloviating and you know everyone is just thinking "Shut the F up you pretentious blustering man-boobed blowhard".  

Dorsey just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

On the preview for next week there's a quick clip of "Former first round pick gets traded"  Coleman looks to be frustrated talking to a coach - will be interesting if there was some confrontation related to the trade or it was just some unrelated footage they threw in there.  

Ok I missed that it was his brother but that would make sense

i agree that it all seemed a little forced with some of them like Landry and Dorsey - like they were acting for the cameras 

Edited by YoloinOhio

My quick thoughts:

First and foremost, my heart goes out to Hue Jackson. Talk about a rough first week back to work.

That said, he's soft and not impressive as a HC. Not that Rex was any more successful, but Im glad Hue wasnt brought to Buffalo.

Greggo is still, and will always be, an unlikeable a-hole.

Tyrod is a consummate professional. Moving him from Buffalo to Cleveland was the best thing that could have happened to both teams.

I'll never respect Jarvis Landry as a person, but I liked that he called out the WR room (most likely, specifically at our new guy Coleman, which will be interesting to see the trade go down next week).

Besides the WR room, it is pretty obvious that the Browns function at a different (lower) level than other teams I've seen on Hard Knocks. I think this is a pretty good tie-in to the thread regarding how much culture matters.

35 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Gregg “Man Boobs” Williams: douche nozzle extraordinaire. 

“Bless ‘em” 

I'm fairly certain Reuben Brown, to this day, still wants to kick his ass.

• Like (+1) 1

Before watching the first episode, I thought the Browns may win a few games this year because of the young and new talent, etc. 

After watching the first episode, no way. They will lose at least 14 games this season. Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels, and Gregg Williams are the worst coaching trio in the league. They make Kay Stephenson's staff look like Lombardi, Landry, and Shula. 

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Meh.  Legal pot everywhere in the USA is coming soon.

The country woke up pretty quickly with gay marriage and pot is next.

True. I think pot transcends political, ethnic, and economic (class) boundaries. My ultra conservative, hyper-patriotic, Trump supporter cousin partakes daily, and so does my Latino, immigration activist, starving musician buddy.  When they hang out together, it is always peaceful and fun!

I think when it becomes legal for recreation in most states (although, parts of the south and mid-west will lag behind in legalization), that the NFL should change its policy.

Marijuanamap.gif