Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't think it affects teams. Bad teams just sign up for it. Like these guys aren't exposed to cameras all the time anyway?

I disagree. I think almost any time someone has a camera on them, it changes things at least a little bit....and maybe more than a little. They’ve never had media attention quite like this. I know the almighty dollar is involved, but I would never want this for my team. But hey, some people watch so I doubt it goes away any time soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

When Gregggggo said "seven jobs" did he specify they were football related?

Garbage collector, ticket taker, school crossing guard are jobs too.

Edited by eball

Found it interesting that Hue is using the “helmet stripe” gambit in camp. "Earn your right to be a Brown!”

*drops 17 passes*

*throws a dozen red zone picks*

*runs 6 yard curl on 3rd & 7*

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The scene where Hugh is trying to assert his dominance and "this is my team" was so awkward. You can tell Haley can't stand the guy.  

You could tell he was thinking “I won more games as a HC in 2010 than you have in 3 years. But yeah, preach to me about sitting in that chair” 

9 hours ago, JP's Voice said:

I agree with this on Landry. Really hated him ever since that hit on A.Williams and because he catches balls that he can get two hands on with one hand to be flashy. But after watching him last night, I think he's awesome and would love a guy like that on my team. Wishing him the best of luck in Cle this year. Also felt that way about Baker. Really excited to see him play.

Naaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

!@#$ Jarvis Landry. With Mayfield’s RV.

I am learning to despise Greg Williams. Can't stand the guy: "I turned down 7 other jobs to be here!" Yeah right. Nobody ACTUALLY chooses the Brown's unless they have no other choice.

Finally got to see the first episode.  A few random thoughts/observations:

1) This show is so well done; I'm sure each episode will make much better TV viewing than some of the actual Browns football games this season.

2) Loved Jarvis Landry misspeaking when he said (of Tyrod Taylor) "He's the first one in and the last one out.  That's not an understatement, that's the truth."  He meant overstatement obviously.

3) Loved the part where Nassib is explaining the concept of financial interest to some players and one guy was looking on, seemingly intrigued; he genuinely appeared to be introduced to the concept for the first time in his life.

4) Gregg Williams is just a straight up douche bag.  He wreaks of it.

5) One of the players at a team meeting asked Baker Mayfield what school he went to and wasn't joking.

6) Loved the bit where Willie McGinest is doing some lame TV interview segment with Myles Garrett.   I'm sure whatever was said was trite and boring.  But then it got interesting when the camera was switched off, with McGinest giving the kid some encouragement and giving him pass rush pointers.  That stuff (which no one ever would have seen on TV) is much more interesting than the canned crap we actually get on football shows. 

7) It looks like we'll see some behind the scenes stuff about the Coleman trade with Buffalo in the next episode.

8) Really enjoyed the show and can't wait for more! 

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You could tell he was thinking “I won more games as a HC in 2010 than you have in 3 years. But yeah, preach to me about sitting in that chair” 

IMHO, it's been my experience that when a leader / boss / manager needs to tell a room of his subordinates that he's in charge, he's lost the room. 

Great leaders don't need to remind or tell anyone that they're the leader or head of the ship (so to speak)....great leaders pull people to them as followers like gravity. Hue was merely speaking to his insecurities and probably his anxiety about the potential of losing his job (which is almost a near certainty). Additionally, the loss of his brother and mother so close together leading up to the time of filming the episode, probably added to his shaken state of identity. 

Either way, his hubris and his inability to connect with his coaches will ultimately cost him the ability to lead the players which of course will cause more losses, no matter the talent, and then his job. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The scene where Hugh is trying to assert his dominance and "this is my team" was so awkward. You can tell Haley can't stand the guy.  

It's also poor leadership if ask me. I mean he came off as a micro manager and personally I don't work well with those types.

14 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Greggo - "No s***! I got a lozenge, B word!"

:lol:

Haha, glad you reminded me of that. This was the highlight of the entire episode, and a great note to close on. That got a laugh out of me and ALMOST made me like him for a second. Almost.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haha, glad you reminded me of that. This was the highlight of the entire episode, and a great note to close on. That got a laugh out of me and ALMOST made me like him for a second. Almost.

This was my exact reaction.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  Thats a homerism view of the play IMO.  And thats fine, but IMO one play does not define a person.  If you play football, crap happens in the heat of battle.  I agree it was an illegal hit, even a dirty hit...but I whole heartedly disagree it defines his character or was intentionally done to be illegal or hurt AW.  

Now if he has a history of plays like this, I would see your point...but he doesn't.  And quite frankly, there are bigger and more dirty hits every single season, and again, I have seen our own players make plays like this.  Landry is no Suh...he put a big shoulder block on a safety.  It was ruled defenseless and got a penalty...that penalty occurs tons of times every NFL season.  You could tell Landry felt bad about the situation after the fact, clearly wasn't out to intentionally lay an illegal and injury causing play.  

I would bet any amount of money that had either this play occurred against a different team or this play not resulted in AW not playing again that no one on this board would feel Landry is a dirty player.  But because it was against the Bills, and injury riddle AW sustained another neck injury that eventually led to him retiring, this play is blown out of proportion into a character defining play.  I get it, we always stick up for our players...I just trying to stay unbiased in the assessment of this play.

LandryPunch2.gif

Hmm. Same type of hit, took out Patrick Chung after a forearm to the back of Chung's head. Not just one play. I found others as well, including others against the Pats.

The Sporting News - made up of all homerific Bills fans, apparently - on 23 OCT 2016  "Jarvis Landry on Aaron Williams: Dirtiest Hit of the Year?" 

Sports Illustrated (also known to be written entirely by biased Bills fans) on 27 OCT 2016 "Blanket Coverage: The Jarvis Landry hit was a gigantic whiff for the NFL"

Gregg Bedard: "It was one of the most vicious and unnecessary hits I’ve seen in recent years...There’s no place for it. Landry didn’t need to hit Williams in the head. There was plenty of time and opportunity for Landry to obliterate Williams by running through the block and hitting Williams in the shoulder/torso area...If the NFL was serious about player safety, Landry would have been ejected from the game and suspended for the next one...What else do you need to determine intent when a stationary player—a rarity on the football field in itself—is blasted by an opponent who leaves his feet and delivers a hit above the shoulder? What other reason could Landry have for launching himself?"

USA Today (dang - I never noticed how many national publications are made up of Bills fans and their ilk) on 23 OCT 2016 "There's no room in football for this cheap shot by Jarvis Landry"

Chris Korman: "This is one of the dirtiest hits you’ll see...He very clearly targets Williams’ head."

So, yeah - we and the national media will have to agree to disagree with you on both that it was just one time, and that only Bills fans think it was dirty.

Edited by timekills17
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he could end up the interim coach by years end. Or next year the latest (if Hue manages to win some games this year) assuming Haslam allows Dorsey to fire Hue, that is. 

Seeing how Hue and Haley seem to get along, I also think it was Dorsey who brought Haley in, and probably Dorsey who talked Hue into giving up play calling duties. Maybe not. Maybe I’m way off base. But that’s just my gut feeling. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I think he could end up the interim coach by years end. Or next year the latest (if Hue manages to win some games this year) assuming Haslam allows Dorsey to fire Hue, that is. 

Seeing how Hue and Haley seem to get along, I also think it was Dorsey who brought Haley in, and probably Dorsey who talked Hue into giving up play calling duties. Maybe not. Maybe I’m way off base. But that’s just my gut feeling. 

I have no doubt it was anyone other than Hue who brought Dorsey in. The Browns didn’t have an OC last year, by Hue’s choice. He didn’t want one. The word is that they made him hire one this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

Before watching the first episode, I thought the Browns may win a few games this year because of the young and new talent, etc. 

After watching the first episode, no way. They will lose at least 14 games this season. Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels, and Gregg Williams are the worst coaching trio in the league. They make Kay Stephenson's staff look like Lombardi, Landry, and Shula. 

I love it when posters try to make a point and then blow it. Todd Haley is their O.C., do all white coaches look alike to you ? ?

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

LandryPunch2.gif

Hmm. Same type of hit, took out Patrick Chung after a forearm to the back of Chung's head. Not just one play. I found others as well, including others against the Pats.

The Sporting News - made up of all homerific Bills fans, apparently - on 23 OCT 2016  "Jarvis Landry on Aaron Williams: Dirtiest Hit of the Year?" 

Sports Illustrated (also known to be written entirely by biased Bills fans) on 27 OCT 2016 "Blanket Coverage: The Jarvis Landry hit was a gigantic whiff for the NFL"

USA Today (dang - I never noticed how many national publications are made up of Bills fans and their ilk) on 23 OCT 2016 "There's no room in football for this cheap shot by Jarvis Landry"

So, yeah - we and the national media will have to agree to disagree with you on both that it was just one time, and that only Bills fans think it was dirty.

Hmmmm...considering I agreed it was unneccesssry and dirty, not sure what you’re point is.  I said that play doesn’t define a player, and you want your Wrs laying big blocks.  What makes it legal and “dirty” or illegal is a very fine line.  Hines Ward used lay big hits all the time, ones that would now be illegal with some of the rule changes.  This is a contact sport, and WRs take huge shots regularly from defenders and the tough WRs look to do the same, it’s what they are trained to do.  With today’s rules it’s impossible to not get a flag on all these shots, game plays too fast.  Some of you seem to be naive about just how fast these plays happen on the field.  They see a guy and go to make a play in split seconds.  The position or angle of the player about to be hit can make a play legal or illegal by inches.  

So again, Landry still doesn’t carry a dirty player reputation around the NFL.  And if AW wasnt hurt on the play then no one would ever talk about it then or now.  

I stand firmly by my stance this board over sensationalizes this play, and if I was Landry’s coach I would love to see my WR out there willingly looking to lay big blocks and would focus on making sure to coach him on how to keep the hits legal.  I mean this is a WR, not a DB who spends a lot of time on tackling technique.  

So again, an agreed to disagree here is fine with me.  All good, just how I feel about it when i remove Bills biased eyes from the play.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I learned more about Hue Jackson in that first episode than I knew before.

I'll go on record right now: the team will continue to struggle until that idiot is replaced and a better HC is brought in.

John Dorsey also does not impress.

When you see systemic repetitive organizational failure, it almost always starts at the top.

I don't know if I am just sick of hard knocks, but that was one of the most boring things I have watched in a long time.

There was so much forced entertainment that missed the mark.

The whole Landry aspect is trying to get something like Ocho Cinco was years back, but Landry is just annoying and hard to stomach.

Baker Mayfield is a completely different person off the field than he is on.  Tyrod has the same boring personality.

They were searching for story lines so bad (some dude playing drums, 4th string stocking a fridge, Baker learning about an RV, etc.).

I think the worst part was seeing these Browns players talk about something special and how they reacted to a dime a dozen one hand catch, along with those dumb chants by the terrible browns fans.

I will watch next week because that is where Coleman gets traded, but it's too boring to put any attention to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I learned more about Hue Jackson in that first episode than I knew before.

I'll go on record right now: the team will continue to struggle until that idiot is replaced and a better HC is brought in.

John Dorsey also does not impress.

When you see systemic repetitive organizational failure, it almost always starts at the top.

Love name calling a guy who just had his brother and sister die an idiot.  Perfectly fine to criticize him but this just shows your class.

i also wonder how many people have ever been in a locker room or meeting room.  Disagreements happen all the team.  It is Jackson’s team.  I get the mentally tough part.  But also forcing guys to be tough and play through injuries is why Sammy wasted a year here.  You need to be smart.

But Hard Knocks is the best.  The Browns do have some legit talent and good coaches on paper (should have picked Chubb though).  It will be interesting to see if they can actually win some games.

and Gregg Williams is the worst.  They can’t be any players who honestly like playing for guy.  He’s just a Richard for being the sake of being a Richard.  

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hmmmm...considering I agreed it was unneccesssry and dirty, not sure what you’re point is.  I said that play doesn’t define a player, and you want your Wrs laying big blocks.  What makes it legal and “dirty” or illegal is a very fine line.  Hines Ward used lay big hits all the time, ones that would now be illegal with some of the rule changes.  This is a contact sport, and WRs take huge shots regularly from defenders and the tough WRs look to do the same, it’s what they are trained to do.  With today’s rules it’s impossible to not get a flag on all these shots, game plays too fast.  Some of you seem to be naive about just how fast these plays happen on the field.  They see a guy and go to make a play in split seconds.  The position or angle of the player about to be hit can make a play legal or illegal by inches.  

So again, Landry still doesn’t carry a dirty player reputation around the NFL.  And if AW wasnt hurt on the play then no one would ever talk about it then or now.  

I stand firmly by my stance this board over sensationalizes this play, and if I was Landry’s coach I would love to see my WR out there willingly looking to lay big blocks and would focus on making sure to coach him on how to keep the hits legal.  I mean this is a WR, not a DB who spends a lot of time on tackling technique.  

So again, an agreed to disagree here is fine with me.  All good, just how I feel about it when i remove Bills biased eyes from the play.

There's no question it was illegal. And the fact that he left his feet and targeted his head/neck area are what makes it a dirty play. Oh, and it was on a guy who everybody knew had neck surgery the year before. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have no doubt it was anyone other than Hue who brought Dorsey in. The Browns didn’t have an OC last year, by Hue’s choice. He didn’t want one. The word is that they made him hire one this year. 

...Haley's Comet & Airhorn Greggy........I'd take Abbott & Costello......................

3 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't know if I am just sick of hard knocks, but that was one of the most boring things I have watched in a long time.

There was so much forced entertainment that missed the mark.

The whole Landry aspect is trying to get something like Ocho Cinco was years back, but Landry is just annoying and hard to stomach.

Baker Mayfield is a completely different person off the field than he is on.  Tyrod has the same boring personality.

They were searching for story lines so bad (some dude playing drums, 4th string stocking a fridge, Baker learning about an RV, etc.).

I think the worst part was seeing these Browns players talk about something special and how they reacted to a dime a dozen one hand catch, along with those dumb chants by the terrible browns fans.

I will watch next week because that is where Coleman gets traded, but it's too boring to put any attention to.

I too was not impressed with this version of Hard Knocks and it's not just because it's Cleveland. Because, if anything this is a year when I *should* be more engaged and anxious about upcoming episodes. And you're right, if it weren't for the Coleman trade I don't think I'd watch...not sure. In years past like when they were with Atlanta or when they were with the Bengals and Rams, I really enjoyed it. 

IMO it's not the show, it's the the team....Cleveland could be a great story, but once again you can see the lack of energy on that team and if they don't turn it around, it will be another long year.

I am in the group that thinks it will only take about 4 losses - 3 if it's to start the season - before Hue is shown the door unless by a miracle that 4th loss isn't until sometime in November. Otherwise, the moment Haley was hired, I - with just about every other single person, presumed Hue was just holding Haley's spot. Actually, I think Hue was intentionally brought back for just the reason that he could be fired and Haley given a sort of mulligan year so that it doesn't look like Haley is saddled with the mess. It would make sense if the idea is to build for next year. Tyrod holding the spot, Hue holding the spot, and the young team still trying to come together as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There's no question it was illegal. And the fact that he left his feet and targeted his head/neck area are what makes it a dirty play. Oh, and it was on a guy who everybody knew had neck surgery the year before. 

It’s tough for me.  I know the Aaron Williams situation.  But when I played wr, I learned those crack back blocks.  It was your time to give a hit instead of taking one.  And I don’t think he did it knowing it was Williams.  

I think Landry is overrated (racks up meaningless, short catches) but I would love his attitude on the Bills. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love name calling a guy who just had his brother and sister die an idiot.  Perfectly fine to criticize him but this just shows your class.

i also wonder how many people have ever been in a locker room or meeting room.  Disagreements happen all the team.  It is Jackson’s team.  I get the mentally tough part.  But also forcing guys to be tough and play through injuries is why Sammy wasted a year here.  You need to be smart.

But Hard Knocks is the best.  The Browns do have some legit talent and good coaches on paper (should have picked Chubb though).  It will be interesting to see if they can actually win some games.

and Gregg Williams is the worst.  They can’t be any players who honestly like playing for guy.  He’s just a Richard for being the sake of being a Richard.  

Hard Knocks is not he best.  The all or nothing show on amazon is 10x better than hard knocks.

Disagreements happen, but one person showing a me type attitude is not what you want in a team/company.  Everyone knows this.  Hue should have listened to what they wanted and not said a word.  He can do nothing with what they wanted, but at least he could have let them talk and not act like he is a dictator. 

The whole episode I wanted more, and it never transpired.