Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I hope it's not related to drugs. I want to see this kid succeed. 

Aside from simply possessing an admirable benevolence towards mankind, may I ask why?  It seems to me this idiot has had many chances to do the right thing...

• Like (+1) 2

League sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Gordon is seeking additional counseling before camp opens to deal with his mental health and anxiety. The wide receiver has said that he typically used alcohol or marijuana when he was anxious, something he cannot do without another violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Gordon has regularly been in touch with his counselors and was told to take the extra time in a proactive move, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24174029/josh-gordon-miss-start-cleveland-browns-training-camp-cites-health-treatment-plan

1 hour ago, eball said:

Aside from simply possessing an admirable benevolence towards mankind, may I ask why?  It seems to me this idiot has had many chances to do the right thing...

I think you answered your own question. Many factors in play. Race, class, mental health, education, addiction, family and community, etc. Gordon began his life with all of these factors on the low end of the spectrum or stacked against him. I'd call him an idiot if he was raised by a doctor and a professor in La Jolla, CA with a maid, tutors, access to health care, regular healthy meals, white, etc. and he still screwed up repeatedly. 

Will the Browns still be amazing guys? 

19 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

I think you answered your own question. Many factors in play. Race, class, mental health, education, addiction, family and community, etc. Gordon began his life with all of these factors on the low end of the spectrum or stacked against him. I'd call him an idiot if he was raised by a doctor and a professor in La Jolla, CA with a maid, tutors, access to health care, regular healthy meals, white, etc. and he still screwed up repeatedly. 

Ultimately everyone lives with the choices they make despite the list of factors. I don't want to waste my life blaming the cards I have been dealt. Have to make it work regardless. 

Edited by Lfod

27 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Will the Browns still be amazing guys? 

Ultimately everyone lives with the choices they make despite the list of factors. I don't want to waste my life blaming the cards I have been dealt. Have to make it work regardless. 

The interesting question is would you have the same mindset if you were dealt a different hand of cards.  Impossible to say.

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The interesting question is would you have the same mindset if you were dealt a different hand of cards.  Impossible to say.

I won't deny that some people are born into a disadvantage. In extreme cases some people are born into a nightmare. People can and do over come that extreme adversity and I respect it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, eball said:

Basic benevolance as you said, but also for selfish reasons wanting to see what he’s capable of when truly developed. He looks like a generational talent who would easily be the best in the league (has the skill to be the best ever) if he could just get it together. 

Per Tony Grossi, he’s had recent court dates for child support that he can’t pay because he has no income (only gets game checks) and it’s leading to anxiety that he can’t cope with without drugs/alcohol. He knows this is his last chance and is afraid to relapse and fail a test. He said this happened last time he was taken to court over child support, when he was reinstated conditionally with the 4game suspension and then decided to just go to rehab. He’s back in rehab now. Typically an agent would front money in this situation but he says he doesn’t have one right now (not sure if true) because he’s been dropped. 

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gordon is why the NFL will never take weed off the banned substance list.  He says he smoke and/or drank before EVERY GAME HE PLAYED.

That's what they fear most.

The league is without a doubt leaning toward being more permissive toward weed, not less. As more states make it legal there will be fewer reasons to be stricter on this particular issue. It is widely accepted that weed is not a performance enhancing drug compared to drugs that do actually enhance performance, such as steroids and growth hormone drugs (HGH). The stance the league is taking toward this drug is changing to being more permissive. The league and the union have been negotiating to finding a common ground moving toward being more lenient than more strict on this issue. 

The NBA doesn't include testing for weed in its drug protocol. It hasn't hurt the popularity of the league. Whether one's feelings are pro or con towards weed society is inexorably moving toward being more accepting of it. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10927282/renegotiation-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments

• Like (+1) 1

I'm definitely interested in this. Good choice by HBO, should be entertaining.

I always wished the Bills would be on this show. It couldnt have made them any worse over the last 15 years, and we'd finally get a glimpse into how the franchise operates.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The league is without a doubt leaning toward being more permissive toward weed, not less. As more states make it legal there will be fewer reasons to be stricter on this particular issue. It is widely accepted that weed is not a performance enhancing drug compared to drugs that do actually enhance performance, such as steroids and growth hormone drugs (HGH). The stance the league is taking toward this drug is changing to being more permissive. The league and the union have been negotiating to finding a common ground moving toward being more lenient than more strict on this issue. 

The NBA doesn't include testing for weed in its drug protocol. It hasn't hurt the popularity of the league. Whether one's feelings are pro or con towards weed society is inexorably moving toward being more accepting of it. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10927282/renegotiation-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments

I'm certainly not arguing against what you are saying about the benefits of medicinal MJ.  But the league is not more permissive than when that article was written 4 years ago. They may be "looking into it", but that's it.

As I said, I bet owners are fearful that players will be playing intoxicated, as Gordon always was (and as he says lots of other players are as well).  With the move towards more contracts having a higher percentage of money guaranteed, owners won't want the possibility that more of their huge investments (player contracts) would be at risk of injury because players may be under the influence while playing.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Per Tony Grossi, he’s had recent court dates for child support that he can’t pay because he has no income (only gets game checks) and it’s leading to anxiety that he can’t cope with without drugs/alcohol. He knows this is his last chance and is afraid to relapse and fail a test. He said this happened last time he was taken to court over child support, when he was reinstated conditionally with the 4game suspension and then decided to just go to rehab. He’s back in rehab now. Typically an agent would front money in this situation but he says he doesn’t have one right now (not sure if true) because he’s been dropped. 

I usually think people who have screwed themselves like Gordon has, I don't really care for.

However, with Gordon, it seems that he's being genuine in really wanting to change and is battling through the struggles.  I'm pulling for him.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's been paid millions since he got into the league.  Shouldn't need new income to pay child support.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, whatdrought said:

Basic benevolance as you said, but also for selfish reasons wanting to see what he’s capable of when truly developed. He looks like a generational talent who would easily be the best in the league (has the skill to be the best ever) if he could just get it together. 

That's a huge stretch. He had one good season. That's all.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:57 AM, JohnC said:

Weed is still banned at the federal level. Until that changes I doubt the league will change its policy.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Weed is still banned at the federal level. Until that changes I doubt the league will change its policy.

Gordon had one “good” season?  He played 14 games that season - and led the league in receiving yards. And he had garbage at QB.  (Notably Calvin Johnson played that year.)  That’s a long way beyond just “good”. 

Edited by BarleyNY

On 7/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Mr. WEO said:

He's been paid millions since he got into the league.  Shouldn't need new income to pay child support.

..$5.29 mil pre-tax probably leaves him net of $2.65 mil which I'd bet is long gone....

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon has career earnings of $5.29M over four seasons, which ranks 652nd among active NFL players entering 2018. He earned $377K in 2017, which ranked 149th among WRs and 1380th overall in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..$5.29 mil pre-tax probably leaves him net of $2.65 mil which I'd bet is long gone....

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon has career earnings of $5.29M over four seasons, which ranks 652nd among active NFL players entering 2018. He earned $377K in 2017, which ranked 149th among WRs and 1380th overall in the NFL.

They don't determine your child support based on your income as it compares to other people at your job.

I'm guessing it's a couple thousand a month.  You just documented that he made 377K last season.  

I bet the judge agreed he can and must pay what he owes....

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They don't determine your child support based on your income as it compares to other people at your job.

I'm guessing it's a couple thousand a month.  You just documented that he made 377K last season.  

I bet the judge agreed he can and must pay what he owes....

...certainly agree and was not implying anything else.....say $377k last year was a net after taxes of $190k or about $16k/mo......not much sympathy from any judge....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I disagree. Odds are that when the next contract is negotiated there will be a more lax policy toward marijuana. As more states legalize this particular product the likelihood increases that the league will have a much more lenient approach to weed. As I stated before the NBA doesn't test for this particular product. It hasn't hurt their standing. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I disagree. Odds are that when the next contract is negotiated there will be a more lax policy toward marijuana. As more states legalize this particular product the likelihood increases that the league will have a much more lenient approach to weed. As I stated before the NBA doesn't test for this particular product. It hasn't hurt their standing. 

There is a difference between pre-existing, like the NBA, and changing, which the NFL would be doing.  Is it hypocritical?  Maybe.  But you know the moment the NFL makes that change the media would blast it, noting the "NFL Goes Green...Condones Pot!"  Parent groups would get whipped into a frenzy like a poked beehive.  The backlash would be enormous.

29 minutes ago, The Red King said:

There is a difference between pre-existing, like the NBA, and changing, which the NFL would be doing.  Is it hypocritical?  Maybe.  But you know the moment the NFL makes that change the media would blast it, noting the "NFL Goes Green...Condones Pot!"  Parent groups would get whipped into a frenzy like a poked beehive.  The backlash would be enormous.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Changing drug laws with respect to weed is steadily happening all over the country. In the not too distant future there will be a change in league policy moving in the direction of leniency toward the drug. What is holding up the change in policy is that the league is trying to use this issue to extract concessions in other areas.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/1/16095328/nfl-marijuana-pain-management-collective-bargaining-4d940deee498

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It will still be a banned substance.  Maybe less harsh penalties.

The owners won't budge on this because the NFLPA refuses meaningful HGH testing as well.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It will still be a banned substance.  Maybe less harsh penalties.

The owners won't budge on this because the NFLPA refuses meaningful HGH testing as well.

The threshold will probably be raised before a disciplinary action would be taken. So it won't be banned so much as be limited. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Changing drug laws with respect to weed is steadily happening all over the country. In the not too distant future there will be a change in league policy moving in the direction of leniency toward the drug. What is holding up the change in policy is that the league is trying to use this issue to extract concessions in other areas.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/1/16095328/nfl-marijuana-pain-management-collective-bargaining-4d940deee498

Again, it's not about right or wrong, it's about public opinion.  The NFL already has PR nightmares (see Anthem Protests), they're not going to outright condone pot right now when the backlash from parents and activist groups would be scathing.  I'm curious, do you not think there would be severe backlash, or do you think the NFL would push through despite it?

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Again, it's not about right or wrong, it's about public opinion.  The NFL already has PR nightmares (see Anthem Protests), they're not going to outright condone pot right now when the backlash from parents and activist groups would be scathing.  I'm curious, do you not think there would be severe backlash, or do you think the NFL would push through despite it?

Public opinion has dramatically changed over the past few years The public is much more tolerant of the drug now than in the past. And as time goes by it becomes even more tolerant. If you believe differently that's fine. 

Edited by JohnC

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Public opinion has dramatically changed over the past few years The public is much more tolerant of the drug now than in the past. And as time goes by it becomes even more tolerant. If you believe differently that's fine. 

So, you don't think there will be signifigant public backlash from parent and activist groups should the NFL condone it?  Even if the general public is more accepting, there would still be a massive backlash from a vocal minority.  Would the NFL want to face that?

9 minutes ago, The Red King said:

So, you don't think there will be signifigant public backlash from parent and activist groups should the NFL condone it?  Even if the general public is more accepting, there would still be a massive backlash from a vocal minority.  Would the NFL want to face that?

I'm confident that at this point the public doesn't give a dam about the league's drug policy, especially as it pertains to marijuana. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm confident that at this point the public doesn't give a dam about the league's drug policy, especially as it pertains to marijuana. 

Im against legalized MJ. That said it doen nothing to improve performance or am I missing something?

21 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The parents are baked.    The mj industry is blowing up.     

Smoke > Drink all day long.  

Some have things to do the next day 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

?‍♂️

...until Tyrod doesn't throw to him.  XD

I'm fascinated that a team that went 0-16 is getting more love and higher marks from the press then a team that went 9-7 and broke a decades-long playoff drought.  Just what's in that Cleveland Kool-Aid?  ...zero to hero, I suppose...

• 2 weeks later...