Bulldog and Shopp routing for McCarron to be average

5 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Sorry but when the Voice of the Bills station is actively routing for 2-3 QB's to be average so they can see what the 1st pick can do to prove that it was a bad pick is nothing but double negatives to get to WHAT? That is the exact scenario happening at WGR! Not all host's feel this way but it is a predominant thought happening on our radio station. What happen to routing for Bills success? What happened to realizing Bills made a move to better the chance the Bills get there "Franchise QB" by pushing all candidates with a arm, with great intangibles, success, with a man that drops footballs a mile away into 50 gallon drums. I am not being funny, I want to find a franchise QB from you, if you want to try out. The bottom line is we are better off with a complete open competition and let these 20-27 year old guys punch each other in the mouth proving they want the job. They are teammates but right now each want the job. If I had these skills I can tell you right now, I would win this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have an idea as to what time you were listening to the show yesterday? I really need to hear this.

To be fair, we have two 5th round picks and an unknown 1st round pick. All 3 could potentially be terrible. I think aj or Peterman win the job this year and Im fine with either of them. I still have a special place in my heart for Peterman 

Actual context is important..

They were discussing when Josh Allen should play.

They said ideally AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman will at least be good enough that the team feels ok with leaving Allen on the bench until the coaches feel he's ready.

Then they said if McCarron at least shows to be an average starting QB, the Bills might be able to trade him next off-season for some decent value given his low cap figure and the lack of a QB market next year compared to this year.

Context is important

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

They said ideally AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman will at least be good enough that the team feels ok with leaving Allen on the bench until the coaches feel he's ready.

Then they said if McCarron at least shows to be an average starting QB, the Bills might be able to trade him next off-season for some decent value given his low cap figure and the lack of a QB market next year compared to this year.

Context is important

I really feel the reason most people hate on Schopp and the Bulldog, are people who only listen for 5-10 minutes. They don't know what was being discussed prior to turning on the show, or after they turn it off. A lot of their callers listen to the show for 5 minutes, and call in. And that makes them angry, because the caller accuses the hosts of saying things they didn't say, or missed the point.

Ill tell you one thing: I find it fascinating that so many of you have strong opinions about Bulldog and Shopp but yet never listen to them.

Just admit it: We listen. And listen regularly.

What other real options do Buffalo sports fans have?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Like A Mofo said:

Ill tell you one thing: I find it fascinating that so many of you have strong opinions about Bulldog and Shopp but yet never listen to them.

The 3-7 pm show was entertaining when Greg Bauch was the producer.  Not even close since his departure.

I've heard seeing as i no longer live in the Buffalo area that a lot of people didn't like the pick of Allen & i am skeptical but i hope all the negativity drives the kid to prove all the nay sayers wrong !

I believe in McBean & hope they saw something that the expertise of this fan base & sports talk show hosts didn't or can't see & uses that as a huge amount of motivation .

The best way he can make a name for himself is have them all jump on the wagon he is pulling which is far from full at the moment ...

I listen to WGR via their app utilizing the on-demand portion.  I mostly listen to Sal Capacio and guests that interest me.  I can NOT imagine anyone actually listening to them when they do not have the option to forward past innane conversations and their "hot takes."

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

People in Buffalo still listen to those two rodeo clowns?

Is sports radio that bad up there?

I heart radio is your friend.

somewhat sadly, yes......they live in their own bubble and are not good enough to be rude/combative with their callers (assuming, of course, the caller is not insane)

Edited by BuffaninATL
additional thought

Honestly, what is Dalton?  An above average starter in this league?  IMO McCarron falls somewhere under wherever Dalton sits on the scale.  He likely won't be better, as otherwise he would be starting for the Bengals.  How much worse is the matter up for interpretation.  Personally I see him as an average starter.  Good enough to hold down the fort until Allen is either ready or becomes clear that he is not the answer (Hopefully the former).

2 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

Honestly, what is Dalton?  An above average starter in this league?  IMO McCarron falls somewhere under wherever Dalton sits on the scale.  He likely won't be better, as otherwise he would be starting for the Bengals.  How much worse is the matter up for interpretation.  Personally I see him as an average starter.  Good enough to hold down the fort until Allen is either ready or becomes clear that he is not the answer (Hopefully the former).

Dalton was excellent in 2015 (when he had the supporting cast), average in 2016, and below average in 2017.

7 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Yes I fall into that but what other station should I be listening to for Bills stuff living in Orlando. I get WGR streaming all day while on the road.

You don't have much of a choice. But John Murphy is 100 times better than those two clowns. Of course, he's still not great and people around here call him a homer, but he's better than those two guys. Also, Sal Capaccio is pretty good. Those guys are on WGR as well.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Dalton was excellent in 2015 (when he had the supporting cast), average in 2016, and below average in 2017.

Whatever Dalton is, personally I don't watch enough of him to know, AJ is somewhere lower on the spectrum.  Otherwise he would be their starter and Dalton would be the one on another team.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

You don't have much of a choice. But John Murphy is 100 times better than those two clowns. Of course, he's still not great and people around here call him a homer, but he's better than those two guys. Also, Sal Capaccio is pretty good. Those guys are on WGR as well.

With Steve Tasker on the show it's become one giant Bills circle jerk.  Hard to listen to.

7 hours ago, Lfod said:

Well I'm just hoping on some other teams back up being better then average for the Bills. Dejavu. Then if AJ sucks I might be counting on a rookie to save the day. Dejavu.

That's called the NFL. It's what every single team does when they don't have a franchise guy.

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

Whatever Dalton is, personally I don't watch enough of him to know, AJ is somewhere lower on the spectrum.  Otherwise he would be their starter and Dalton would be the one on another team.

Over the past 3 years I've got him T-17th out of the 39 qualifying QBs . Tied with Bortles, and just below Alex Smith.

21 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

You could argue that when Dalton got the huge contract he was playing regardless of what McCarron could do

I for one would love Allen to start and beat out Mccaron for the opening job as that would be a great sign for the future.

But if he doesn't, then let's hope Mccaron lights it up.

Allen is the future, so if Mccaron plays well, then you have some serious trade value for 2019 as he has a very low base salary

Edited by billsfan11

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You could argue that when Dalton got the huge contract he was playing regardless of what McCarron could do

You could argue that no sane coach/gm/team would field their second best guy just because he's getting paid more.

If I ever had the money or clout, I would start a sports radio station to compete with these losers. The city and the sports fans deserve better. Too many fans are brainwashed by these negative nancys. 

• Like (+1) 1

When returning from a high level business meeting, it occurred to me that WGR has been largely un-listenable for quite a while.  Outside of Sal, it's largely just bitching followed by a seemingly endless stream of commercials.

I haven’t listened to those guys in more than a decade. I never really had a problem with the unpopular opinions they may or may not have had. My issue was they would not talk about sports enough. Entire segments and somtimes entire shows dedicated to non-sports related nonsense. This on a station that billed itself as “all sports all the time”. Maybe they have change in that time but I doubt it.

Edited by Leonhart2017

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I listen to WGR all day (9-5 PST) from here on the west coast. I don’t have one issue with Schoop or Bulldog. They’re entertaining.

There are MUCH worse people to listen to.

The hockey show WGR has in the morning comes to mind. It’s awful. I don’t turn WGR on until 9am because of them.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You don't even live in Buffalo and you're listening? 

???

This is like saying you don't live in Buffalo, you're not from Buffalo, why are you a Bills fan?

I guess I should just become a fan of another team?

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thurmond #1, I agree if someone doesn’t like a show, they shouldn’t listen, but whether someone lives in Buffalo is irrelevant.  I grew up on South Park Ave., and moved away as an adult for better opportunities.  That doesn’t mean I don’t love my Bills will still listen toWgr when it is related to the Bills

Agreed. I have zero family connections to Buffalo. Only been to Buffalo once for a home opener. Still a fan though. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Yes I fall into that but what other station should I be listening to for Bills stuff living in Orlando. I get WGR streaming all day while on the road.

But AJ doesn't have too suck. He is a 2 times NCAA football Champion. Had a 36-4 record at Alabama, in 2015 when Dalton went down end of year took team 2-1 into a not guaranteed playoff spot and almost won the playoff game, is a 4 time backup to a pretty good starter in Dalton. McCarron is a 65% completion plus QB with at least 2500 yards a year or more as a full time starter.Allen does not have these numbers, not cutting him down. Lets see what Allen shows McCarron and Peterman what a top arm looks like and lets see Allen watch McCarron under pressure make all the important throws!!!!!

It would be great if McCarron was the answer, although there hasn't been a franchise QB from that program since 1966- Kenny Stabler. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m convinced they have blackmail photos of someone at  Entercom.  

As two dudes that probably never played meaningful sports in their lives, it’s surprising they can fill any air time at all on the topic.

folks who get mad at their opinions need to understand its not based on analysis and may even be outlined or scripted for them. 

If you want evidence about their their ignorance of sport, they claimed to like and know hockey the most.  They cried over and over for the Sabres to tank for Eichel and for Bylsma as a coach. Both turned out epic failures. I’ve not listened but I’m guesing they never owned that. 

Since you live elswhere, just enjoy the Cellino and Barnes and yancys fancy commercials as a touch of Home, and realize they are your gambling elderly  nieghbor and drunk cousin in law that ramble on about nothing 3-4 hours a day, with some mild focus on buffalo sports.  

Basically what I do, the commercials are awesome! :D

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They are going to need to pay a toll for their routing. 

OPPS

6 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Don't you mean "routing"?

I would fix that but I think I like these posts the best. I am Grout! 0:)

6 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Do you have an idea as to what time you were listening to the show yesterday? I really need to hear this.

Believe it was around 4pm just before Brandon stuff came on

6 hours ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Context is important

They went farther than that, they were gleeful in the idea so Allen would take the job, often seem to want Buffalo to be average or worse so they get better draft status. Both are not locked into Allen either and seem to rather assume he will flop to. I listen while at work all the time streaming from phone with bluetooth earpiece. Tasker at least acknowledges the players ups and downs. He definitely doesn't root for failure. It is their mocking tone that tilts what they are saying.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

With your spelling? Hell yes. Its "Rooting". Your 3rd grade English teacher is in tears reading this.

I believe she is probably dead by now. Never got the young pretty teachers always the old geezers.

12 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Sorry but when the Voice of the Bills station is actively routing for 2-3 QB's to be average so they can see what the 1st pick can do to prove that it was a bad pick is nothing but double negatives to get to WHAT? That is the exact scenario happening at WGR! Not all host's feel this way but it is a predominant thought happening on our radio station. What happen to routing for Bills success? What happened to realizing Bills made a move to better the chance the Bills get there "Franchise QB" by pushing all candidates with a arm, with great intangibles, success, with a man that drops footballs a mile away into 50 gallon drums. I am not being funny, I want to find a franchise QB from you, if you want to try out. The bottom line is we are better off with a complete open competition and let these 20-27 year old guys punch each other in the mouth proving they want the job. They are teammates but right now each want the job. If I had these skills I can tell you right now, I would win this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you say, Schopp, and Bulldog are rooting for AJ to be Meaty Oaker? 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I listen to WGR via their app utilizing the on-demand portion.  I mostly listen to Sal Capacio and guests that interest me.  I can NOT imagine anyone actually listening to them when they do not have the option to forward past innane conversations and their "hot takes."

I like the Buffalo commercials, touch of home. I am using working on equipment or driving and it keeps me from falling asleep yelling at them, lol.