RD 1, Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds OLB - Virginia Tech

SDS

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My buddy is a VT alum and LOVES him. I’d be interested to get @BuffaloHokie13 thoughts

This softened the blow of the Allen pick for me. One thing is for sure, Beane is drafting for potential. For now I'm okay with that. It shows he has faith in our coaching staff. I also don't think we're done yet at LB, but I truly believe this is the best start anyone could expect. I don't love Tremaine's instincts, but he's very young and he'll learn a TON from McD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My fear is not having a WR that can get open deep and track a football thrown 50 yards in the air when you have a QB who can flick it 75 yards off his back foot.

Kind've a waste of the young QB's unique strength.    

A QB who can read a defense at the line and accurately throw a 7 yard completion in tight coverage is actually a far more useful player in the NFL.

Even if the odd 60 yard bomb is a lot of fun to see, when you see it.... like 3 times in a season.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

A QB who can read a defense at the line and accurately throw a 7 yard completion in tight coverage is actually a far more useful player in the NFL.

Even if the odd 60 yard bomb is a lot of fun to see, when you see it.... like 3 times in a season.

Question:

Are you surprised that a HC whose defense is designed to encourage QB's to throw 7 yard passes until they turn the ball over wants a QB who can stretch and throw over opposing defenses?

I preferred Darnold or Rosen but I also kinda' liked having a great WR talent like Watkins and a one man run defense in Dareus more than I liked a second and fifth round pick in a mediocre draft.............but I didn't hire these dudes to run my team.    

All that said......the WCO is essentially dead.....and Big Ben and Eli have 4 SB wins playing a downfield first game opposite good defenses while Matt Ice has none.....so it's not entirely an either/or choice in terms of QB styles.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

I can’t belive they got edmunds !  Steeler fan laughed at me when I told him Edmunds at 12 and Rudolph at 22, 

“edmunds doesn’t fall out of top 10!”

So wait...

He laughed at the Edmunds part?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Just like with race horses, I always love the guys with the right bloodlines.  NFL players all over his family.  The dude knows football.   :thumbsup:

And it seems like a very nice, humble and tight group as well.   He'll be a great Bill.

OT:   Would he be the youngest guy ever drafted by the team?    I can't ever remember a teenager (I know, he'll be 20 when TC opens)??

While you never like to have to give up picks to trade up, all Bills fans should be pumped about this pick.  This kid is a beast and could be one of the best LBs in the entire league for the next decade.

There were many that had him as a top 10 talent in this draft, so to get him at 16 is awesome, despite having to give up the extra picks....

Great pick here.

55 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

There was some talk that Wyoming’s offense didn’t give Josh Allen a chance to show that he could complete the short stuff we will see

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I feel like Beane/McDermott said let's find our next Newton and Kuechly no matter what the cost and we'll put our jobs/reputation on the line for them.

Not quite but something along these lines.   I do think they see similarities in those players but Kuechly is the QB of that defense and Edmunds I think won't play that role. Edmunds I do believe will be a very dynamic football player on the defensive side of the ball though.  His size and speed will allow McD to use him to match up against TE's.  He'll probably be used to rush the passer at times and I believe he's going to be a sideline to sideline player that will be able to chase down his opponents.  He's going to be multi purpose and has a good chance at being our best defender on our team after a few years.  He's got it all.

Allen, we'll just have to see.  I know he's worked a lot on his footwork and you've heard it from a few "experts" that he's looked better.  We all know his intangibles, they are off-the-charts.  He's mobile, big with one of the strongest arms we've ever seen.  I can see him breaking lots of arm tackles in the pocket, shrugging them off and extending plays.   

Bandit did a really good write up on him and after watching a lot more of the videos of Allen, I definitely came away a lot more impressed.  I even said coming in to the draft that I was warming up to him and definitely see where the intrigue will be.  I do believe Allen will be a starting caliber QB in this league, and I know he has the qualities to be a franchise QB, I just don't know whether he will be or not.    Personally I was hoping for Rosen but I'm ok with Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Busts usually do.

doesnt everyone?...    Tom Brady isnt 19 anymore.   

If you didnt feel good about Edmunds before....this video takes it up a notch.   

the only knock the video states about him is completely coach able and partly to do with him being "young" and wet behind the 

ears a bit still..  again i think he will get older probably every day.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

are you being clairvoyant about our 1st round draft picks for the next 4 years?

Damn it, I botched it, good catch. Only first round pick from this year's draft is what I meant.

I was trying to get people going, good catch. I do stand by that statement though, I don't know if Allen will even see the 5th year here. That is crazy to say too, and probably dumb. I just don't believe him, I'm kind of out of sorts tonight.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Damn it, I botched it, good catch. Only first round pick from this year's draft is what I meant.

I was trying to get people going, good catch. I do stand by that statement though, I don't know if Allen will even see the 5th year here. That is crazy to say too, and probably dumb. I just don't believe him, I'm kind of out of sorts tonight.

i knew what u meant, just giving you crap lol..       nobody knows whats going to happen man, just cross your fingers and hope for the best.  no matter how much you hate it or love it...whats going to happen will still happen.

12 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

doesnt everyone?...    Tom Brady isnt 19 anymore.   

If you didnt feel good about Edmunds before....this video takes it up a notch.   

the only knock the video states about him is completely coach able and partly to do with him being "young" and wet behind the 

ears a bit still..  again i think he will get older probably every day.   

I'm sorry but round 1 is for drafting starters... Not feel-good projects like the Bills drafted today... Neither one of these kids were worth trading up for, IMO....

We didn't get Cam Newton OR Luke Kuechley today.

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I'm sorry but round 1 is for drafting starters... Not feel-good projects like the Bills drafted today... Neither one of these kids were worth trading up for, IMO....

As far as Qbs..its not about when they start..its about what they do after they start.  I'd rather have  qb sit for a year and learn than be thrown in and flame out.   as far as Edmunds, he will start day 1.   He has the potential to be better than kuechley.   

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

As far as Qbs..its not about when they start..its about what they do after they start.  I'd rather have  qb sit for a year and learn than be thrown in and flame out.   as far as Edmunds, he will start day 1.   He has the potential to be better than kuechley.   

Guess we'll see... I'll go on record today, as hating the Allen pick, and not really liking the Edmunds pick at all...

Beane really disappointed the sh_t out of me today.... Not holding out much hope for this regime.

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I was a Whaley defender. I find it hard to hate on Edmunds after drafting Shaq. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I think Edmunds is a good player.

31 minutes ago, #34fan said:

You're right. The combo may be better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I was a Whaley defender. I find it hard to hate on Edmunds after drafting Shaq. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I think Edmunds is a good player.

Guess we'll see... I think, in the end, folks may feel like they gave McBeane too much credit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Guess we'll see... I think, in the end, folks may feel like they gave McBeane too much credit.

I'm not a fan of these guys, so I'll have no problem saying goodbye. I just like the Edmunds pick, but like you said, we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I love this. Edmunds was a consensus top 10 pick by all of the draft experts, and most people thought we would not even have a second pick in the 1st round if we moved up to get one of the top 4 QB's, and still people are bitching.  We just got 2 potential superstars and still have plenty of picks left in this draft. These are not "feel good projects", they are 2 top 10 talents on day one of the draft. I am excited for the future of this franchise, sorry you can't enjoy it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, #34fan said:

As far as Edmonds goes, you are right he won’t be Keuchly. He doesn’t have the same instincts and coverage ability. 

I still think he was the best LB on the board and will be a real problem for opposing offenses with his length and ability to get downfield. Much better on taking on blocks than Vander Esch but with the same sideline to sideline range. 

If Buffalo is smart, they let both Allen and Edmonds sit for a year to develop mentally and physically. Won’t happen, and that’s why they are talented but risky picks. Which the risk is compounded by what we gave up. Overall though, I love the draft and I hope it works out well for McBean and Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I love this. Edmunds was a consensus top 10 pick by all of the draft experts, and most people thought we would not even have a second pick in the 1st round if we moved up to get one of the top 4 QB's, and still people are bitching.  We just got 2 potential superstars and still have plenty of picks left in this draft. These are not "feel good projects", they are 2 top 10 talents on day one of the draft. I am excited for the future of this franchise, sorry you can't enjoy it. 

Fair enough... We could get lucky in the later rounds....FTR, I wasn't a proponent of moving up at all in round 1...But I get it. -You're excited.

Here's hoping you're still excited come November.

• Like (+1) 1