RD 1, Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds OLB - Virginia Tech

SDS

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Who should he have replaced?

IMO he’s a better player than McGlinchy and Oakland would be better served taking him at 10 than trading back, and I think he’s a bigger and more athletic for his size prospect than R. Smith so I would take him over Smith at 8. 

Hes atop ten value IMO regardless of where he actually goes in the draft, even if I were to rate R. Smith ahead of him, they are both that good value wise.

11 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Cap hit for those 2 in 2018 with sammys contract is about 35 million.  The picks you mention will be about 1/12 That.  You can't keep everyone bud. 

Dude please stop with that nonsense..........keeping those dudes would have STILL left the Bills with about $60M in cap space in 2019..............it wasn't about cap room AT ALL it was about the new GM/HC choosing much lesser talent rather than more complicated-to-manage young stars.

They overcame the subsequently crippled passing game and run defense in other areas to finally get to the playoffs so kudos to them.......but people expecting to get back to the Marrone/Rex rosters with those measly picks in this weak draft were dreaming.  

IF they get back to that top 5-8 roster in the league kinda' level it's going to take a while..........or maybe they just try to win with more of a cast of role players.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I love the pick. My fear is that this regime will be remembered for drafting great defensive players but never getting it right on offense.

"The best offense..."

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not a fan of the trade up considering they now don't have a pick until 96. I like the position as this team had no LB's but dam this team is going to be seriously flawed. 

JMO, they are looking towards 2020 and beyond, they kept they pucks next year and have a ton of cap space heading into the future, Edmunds was worth that trade and the future is very bright, it’s the darkest before dawn?

21 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

I like to scour draft sites and this does perk me up....Great Blue North had both Allen and Edmunds in their top 5.

LOVE GBN...Always check their board...Have for what seems like forever now...

And they have a great underclassman tracker every year...B-)

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

A linebacker that did track? Are you kidding me????   Beast

I think Zac Brown did too.  That would be my only concern is he might be a little soft (obviously he’s a monster but it’s a mentality to play LB).  

But it people who saw him more really like him so I’m feeling good about it.

I absolutely LOVE this pick! I couldn't be happier. I truly think we got the QB of our defense. 

Kid is only 19 too!

Ceiling is sky high with him. I thought he was one of the best 2 LB in this draft (especially for McD's defense). I think he is going to make a huge difference for the Bills defense this year (and for years to come). 

For Mcdermott's defense to function at an elite level like it's capable of, it really needs a LB like him, who can play fast sideline to sideline, stop the run and defend the pass... and now we got him! I am beyond excited about this pick! 

1 minute ago, P51 said:

JMO, they are looking towards 2020 and beyond, they kept they pucks next year and have a ton of cap space heading into the future, Edmunds was worth that trade and the future is very bright, it’s the darkest before dawn?

It's not dark at all, but I think that the players available at pick 22 would have been really good and they still would have had pick 65 to find another player at a position of need. I think they got the best player available but I think it was smarter to just stay where you were and keep pick 65. 

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dude please stop with that nonsense..........keeping those dudes would have STILL left the Bills with about $60M in cap space in 2019..............it wasn't about cap room AT ALL it was about the new GM/HC choosing much lesser talent rather than more complicated-to-manage young stars.

They overcame the subsequently crippled passing game and run defense in other areas to finally get to the playoffs so kudos to them.......but people expecting to get back to the Marrone/Rex rosters with those measly picks in this weak draft were dreaming.  

IF they get back to that top 5-8 roster in the league kinda' level it's going to take a while..........or maybe they just try to win with more of a cast of role players.

Around 70 mill for 2019. Beane,I would expect , is going to sell some '19 &'20 picks to get back into the second round.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I love the pick. My fear is that this regime will be remembered for drafting great defensive players but never getting it right on offense.

My fear is not having a WR that can get open deep and track a football thrown 50 yards in the air when you have a QB who can flick it 75 yards off his back foot.

Kind've a waste of the young QB's unique strength.    

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

It's not dark at all, but I think that the players available at pick 22 would have been really good and they still would have had pick 65 to find another player at a position of need. I think they got the best player available but I think it was smarter to just stay where you were and keep pick 65. 

I hear you, I just think Edmunds is the best LB in the draft, his current ability is amazing and his ceiling is even higher, they’ll be competitive this year but the future is what this draft is about and Edmunds is going to be a long term stud at a key position in the Bills D, IMO. I believe it ouweighs the 65th and whomever they’d get at 22.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My fear is not having a WR that can get open deep and track a football thrown 50 yards in the air when you have a QB who can flick it 75 yards off his back foot.

Kind've a waste of the young QB's unique strength.    

This is certainly not a finished product, after this draft or the next, or ever. I’m more concerned about what direction the arrow is pointed. Allen concerns me, but I’ll give them credit for having conviction and being bold. 

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Around 70 mill for 2019. Beane,I would expect , is going to sell some '19 &'20 picks to get back into the second round.

I wouldn't put that beyond him......but the 2019 draft will be MUCH deeper.

They might get a pass rushing DE better than Chubb and a guy who would rank as WR1 or OT1 in the 2018 class just by staying at their picks in 2019.

1 minute ago, P51 said:

I hear you, I just think Edmunds is the best LB in the draft, his current ability is amazing and his ceiling is even higher, they’ll be competitive this year but the future is what this draft is about and Edmunds is going to be a long term stud at a key position in the Bills D, IMO. I believe it ouweighs the 65th and whomever they’d get at 22.

If Edmunds pans out who cares they gave up pick 65 (And got back a mid 5th) but just in philosophy I hate a trade up for a non-QB.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

If Edmunds pans out who cares they gave up pick 65 (And got back a mid 5th) but just in philosophy I hate a trade up for a non-QB.

True regarding the trade for a non QB, I think of it like trading up for a special player and that’s worth it, he’s worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is certainly not a finished product, after this draft or the next, or ever. I’m more concerned about what direction the arrow is pointed. Allen concerns me, but I’ll give them credit for having conviction and being bold. 

Yeah I much preferred Darnold or Rosen......best 2 prospects since Luck IMO...... but also IMO Allen is a guy who could go #1 in a lot of years........just a beast talent.....I'd take him over Goff and put him on par at least with Wentz as a prospect(who everyone says they always loved now:rolleyes:).    

And I get why the Bills might see Allen as a better fit than Rosen.    This isn't an "offensive staff".......they might want to play a lot of simple offense.......... and this isn't a team that has been able to pass block for a pocket-only guy for 25 years and are currently lookin' real sketchy on the OL in general.     Rosen was going to be put to the test wrt his patience AND physically with the beating he was likely to take behind this OL.    Add on the things like Allen being all terrain and a small town guy.........I don't like passing on Rosen but I GET it.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I much preferred Darnold or Rosen......best 2 prospects since Luck IMO...... but also IMO Allen is a guy who could go #1 in a lot of years........just a beast talent.....I'd take him over Goff and put him on par at least with Wentz as a prospect(who everyone says they always loved now:rolleyes:).    

And I get why the Bills might see Allen as a better fit than Rosen.    This isn't an "offensive staff".......they might want to play a lot of simple offense.......... and this isn't a team that has been able to pass block for a pocket-only guy for 25 years and are currently lookin' real sketchy on the OL in general.     Rosen was going to be put to the test wrt his patience AND physically with the beating he was likely to take behind this OL.    Add on the things like Allen being all terrain and a small town guy.........I don't like passing on Rosen but I GET it.

I think durability concerns were huge. Personality much more minor. Allen seems like a Buffalo kind of guy already. Now, can he be a good QB? Time will tell, and my fingers are crossed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This appears to be an EXCELLENT pick, and it does take the sting out of the Allen pick a bit.

I did not in my wildest dreams think that Edmunds would be available at 12, let alone to be taken with the Bills' SECOND 1st round pick. Crazy.

Everyone kept saying "Kuechlys don't come along often, McDermott may have to adapt his defense"...well...McDermott got his athletic freak defensive QB. This kid's gonna be a star.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think durability concerns were huge. Personality much more minor. Allen seems like a Buffalo kind of guy already. Now, can he be a good QB? Time will tell, and my fingers are crossed. 

I've had my issues with McD and Beane and if they don't produce I will gladly gather up my torch and pitchfork..............but let's remember that this is the first regime in Bills history to ever be "ALL-IN" on any QB prospect in any draft.

First time they've simply used their first first round pick or traded up from that pick to select a QB.    Gotta' at least give them credit for taking a shot.

• Like (+1) 3

Love this pick.  Addresses a need with a very high potential player who, at 19, excelled at a high level in college and has great size and tremendous speed.

Imagine him in two years with 10 LBs more muscle mass and still great speed with added experience.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BrotherChazz said:

Great pick. Needed this bad. Wish we would have stayed at 22, but hard to pass this up. 

giphy.gif

Yeah but I dont think we get him at 22.  A steal at 16