Would you be pissed if the Bills traded up and drafted Barkley?

Jobot

Saquon Barkley is being labeled as a better prospect that Ezekial Elliot, and some saying the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson...We all saw last year what a GREAT run game (or lack of) can do to someone like Dak Prescott (who can only be considered a mediocre qb at best IMO after last year).

So why not trade up and get Barkley while all these other teams are shooting dice on all qbs?  Would you be upset if the Bills went up and got Barkley at 2 with NY?  Obviously you'd then commit the rest of your draft to building a dominant O-Line.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't think of anything worse than having your Applebees take out ruined by the Bills drafting Barkley.

the only thing worse would be me having to eat applebees while the bills are drafting barkley.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

If they traded into the top 5 and took a RB, the entire front office should be fired on the spot. It’s not going to happen, though. Zero chance.

I totally agree although I don't like to question the FO's moves short term.  I love Barkley and think he is a better RB prospect than any of the QBs are QB prospects, but I sure don't want the Bills trading up to get him.  I would only want the Bills to trade up for a QB, only into the 5-10 range, and that QB better be named Mayfield or Rosen and not Allen or Darnold.

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

If they traded into the top 5 and took a RB, the entire front office should be fired on the spot. It’s not going to happen, though. Zero chance.

I think the OP should be fired for even suggesting something so ridiculous !!! 

Haha damn, no takers!

I guess my thought is that you can make a bottom tier qb look pretty damn good with a REAL rushing attack, which is why I pointed to Zeke effect on Dak.  With everyone completely blinded to qb prospect these days and coupled with how good Barkley is supposed to be... going against the grain could result in a big payday.

But I get that the cost may still be too high regardless.

Edited by Jobot

53 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yes. Any reasonable person would be upset giving up three first round picks for a RB. And that's without considering passing on a potential franchise QB.

And yet many of the wishful thinkers are saying the Giants will pass on a QB for Barkley.  It's laughable.  

Yes.  Our TV would be in imminent danger of breakage.  Our kid, who does not like to hear me cuss, would have to SPRINT for her rifle range hearing protectors to put over her noise-canceling in-ear headset run up to her bedroom and shut the door, because there would be cussing, and it would be loud creative and lengthy.

It's not just that I agree pretty much the only player to trade up for in the first round, is a potential franchise QB - possibly a game changing DLman (but you better think he's the love child of Bruce Smith and JJ Watt with the mitochondrial DNA of Bryce Paup and Biscuit Bennett thrown in for good measure)

The time to take a value shot, is when you have a good or great player at the position.  We have Shady this year.  Bring in a 2nd day pick at RB.  Sign 4 UDFA.  Turn over the cutoff bin.  Audition audition audition and keep the best.

I am Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out suicide...so, this one is a toughy.

...Oh who am I kidding.  Like I'd miss the chance to have spaghetti parm, with mushrooms and meatballs and extra sauce on the side at Chef's 20-30 more times before I die.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

And yet many of the wishful thinkers are saying the Giants will pass on a QB for Barkley.  It's laughable.  

4mer, it's not necessarily the same thing at all.  Surely you can see this?

The time you need to expend draft capital to try to get a surer bet at a position, is when you don't have an established starter at that position.

When you do have an established starter, you can try to take lower-probability shots later on, in the hope that if you take 3-4 shots you'll hit on one of them.

1) Do the Giants currently have a top-tier RB?  A Shady McCoy equivalent? 

2) Do the Giants currently have a very good NFL starting QB?  A guy who has won superbowls and who is publically given the nod as having "years left" by his new coach/GM?

3) Would the Giants have to expend extra draft capital to make this pick, or are they already there?

I think the answer is No, Yes, and No for the Giants.  The only way it would make sense for them to use a top draft pick on QB is if they feel last year means Eli is done right now, stick a fork in him.  That was the "desperation move" of the previous coach and GM, but the new coach and GM are on record pointing the finger at the OL and saying they like Eli.    Now they could be lying like rugs, but that is what they said right after they were hired, when there's generally a higher tincture of truth mixed into pressers than closer in to the draft.

14 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Haha damn, no takers!

I guess my thought is that you can make a bottom tier qb look pretty damn good with a REAL rushing attack, which is why I pointed to Zeke effect on Dak.  With everyone completely blinded to qb prospect these days and coupled with how good Barkley is supposed to be... going against the grain could result in a big payday.

But I get that the cost may still be too high regardless.

That's pretty much what Rex Ryan and Whaley tried to do by trading for Shady and settling for Tyrod Taylor at QB.  And if the D had been decent and played up to its potential, it would probably have gotten us into the playoffs in 2015.  But it wouldn't have taken us very deep in them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Taking a running back in the first round is never a good idea.

Trading up for a running back in the first round is an even dumber idea.

Trading up into the top 4 and giving up a boatload of picks to take a running back should get a GM immediately fired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As much as I like Barkley, hell yes I would be. The Lions had the greatest RB of all time imo and they never did anything. We need a QB of the future and this is the year to get one. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's pretty much what Rex Ryan and Whaley tried to do by trading for Shady and settling for Tyrod Taylor at QB.  And if the D had been decent and played up to its potential, it would probably have gotten us into the playoffs in 2015.  But it wouldn't have taken us very deep in them.

True, and maybe it's just due to more recent/fresh memory, but from the eye test, the Bills run game with Mccoy was never close to Dallas' run game with Zeke IMO.  Some of that may be coaching/personnel I suppose.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I would be pissed, but it wouldn't be a move that would cause me to defect.  I'd lose every ounce of faith in Beane; but I'd still be a Bills fan.

Beane is exactly why we have a better chance of seeing Good than taking Barkley.