Fill 3 spots with FA

So FA starts B4 the draft so lets start there. What 3 spots could be realistically filled with our cap space, to be in the best shape for the draft. I think we should just re-sign our own. EJ, KW, and another DT.  If we do that and keep TT, we are set up good to draft a QB without moving up, and work on O-line and Linebackers. That keeps our defence good, and alows the offence to grow. We arnt about quick fixes anymore. We need to grow a little each year without putting ourselves in cap hell. I think this isn't flashy but it does fit the process.  I'm hoping for Lamar Jackson. I think with our coaching he could be electric. Flame away

EJ is gone, TT is gone, I would be surprised if KW comes back and if he does it will be a 1 yr final send off deal at pretty much league min.  We are going to lose a lot of guys this year.  I don't think they are re-signing many people since those aren't their guys.  They have already said they want to build through the draft and get younger and cheaper players that fit their scheme

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

EJ Gaines is gone.  Don’t see him coming back

Sadly you are probably right - BUT - I have faith in the Bills to fill that opening competently.  I do however worry about what is going to happen to fix the QB situation.  They need to not check into the Crazy Town motel on that decision.  IF they get the QB situation heading down the right track many things will fall into place just like when the Bills got Kelly.....after he got here and it took a few years, things started to fall into place, crazy things happened even which were good - ie: the Bennett trade.  That would not have happened in years past with the line up the Bills trotted out both on the field and in the office.

Trust the Process........

I think we should re-sign both EJ Gaines and K.Williams. EJ does get banged up a bit, but when he is on the field, he does make a huge difference for us. Plus the fact we don't have to re-sign T.White for another 4 yrs is huge IMO. By the time White is up to get paid, EJ's deal should be expiring?

I think we should re-sign K.Williams to a 1 yr deal. He is our leader, and can still play IMO. I would like to think that Kyle is intrigued by where this team is headed and would like to be a part of it for as long as he is able to do so?

My 3rd guy is Sam Bradford. I believe we end up trading or releasing Tyrod Taylor. And that we will need a bridge QB until N.Peterman or whom ever we draft is ready to take the helm. 

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

My three are

1) Star Lotulelei DT

2) Demario Davis MLB

3)Kyle Fuller CB

I'd substitute a WR for Davis and list either Paul Richardson (not likely at the price he will likely see) or Brice Butler (low cost but is a playmaker/deep threat).

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I'd substitute a WR for Davis and list either Paul Richardson (not likely at the price he will likely see) or Brice Butler (low cost but is a playmaker/deep threat).

Well I see us paying a Vet MLB so it might as well be someone with coverage skills.

At WR the Bills have Zay and Kelvin with a possible return of Jordan Matthews.

True. But none of Zay, Kelvin or Matthews has deep speed. Zay, I'm hoping can rebound but I would count anything we see from him next season as a bonus. 

Matthews is going to be tricky. Obviously he's looking to get paid, but what's the market for him going to be? Could see a 1 year prove it deal for him but can also see someone taking a chance on his down year being a product of our system

12 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Why? Guy had success here. He fits perfect into our scheme. Says he wants to stay. He realizes he’s in a good spot. We have to pay him but it’s very doable ?

So does he get half the money for playing half the games      

17 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Why? Guy had success here. He fits perfect into our scheme. Says he wants to stay. He realizes he’s in a good spot. We have to pay him but it’s very doable ?

Someone is very likely to give him a headscratcher contract and then be left scratching their head a year or two later. He's a very good player when healthy though. Usually I'm someone who gives "injury prone" players the benefit of the doubt because a lot of times they are fluke occurrences even if it's three years in a row. Less times, but IMO this one, the player's frame and the player's game are injuries waiting to happen. And they do. He just looks like that kind of player. I'd love to keep him but so,some is going to overpay so it may be unlikely. 

6 hours ago, DKBills25 said:

Ej really helps this team I hope we can bring him back. 

We need to address the  the LB position also thru FA

DT can be fixed thru draft no doubt 

biggest needs in FA : QB/WR/LB 

If both Gaines and Matthews leave, that would make both of those trades worse.  Each played about half the games this season.  Then, basically, the Bills got a Rams 2nd round pick and half a season of Gaines for Sammy, plus, an Eagles 3rd rnd pick and a half season of Matthews for Darby. 

18 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

From the way Beane talked earlier this year, it doesn't seem like we'll be looking to make big splashes in FA.

And that makes sense as history has shown that spending big in free agency (Redskins, Dolphins, etc.) doesn't usually result in contending teams.

• Like (+1) 1

Be kinda interesting, from the Carolina school of doing things free agency is like a ghost town.. Now maybe with full control Beane is different. But I expect the usual middle tier to lower tier signings. I think you get some mediocre talent into the lines and depth. 

I fully expect skill positions with youth speed and athleticism to be taken care of in the draft. Can’t see them chasing big money free agents around. 

4 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

And that makes sense as history has shown that spending big in free agency (Redskins, Dolphins, etc.) doesn't usually result in contending teams.

A somewhat flawed analogy.  The Redskins history consists of Snyder not necessarily looking for the best players, but the biggest names, whether they could still play or not.  Deion Sanders was over the hill (and put Pro Bowler Daryl Green on the bench) Jeff George made a splash (especially when he was brought in to replace a Pro Bowl quarterback, Adam Archuletta couldn't play anymore but enjoyed the big bucks, fat Albert Haynesworth (ugh!), and on and on and on.  Snyder even looked for big name coach splashes, such as Steve Spurrier, who had never coached in the NFL and had great difficulty figuring it out, and Mike Shanahan, who was nothing without Elway as his quarterback.  Spending big in free agency isn't necessarily bad, you simply have to know what you're doing.

EJ Gaines needs to be retaught how to tackle.

He needs to stop hitting hard and just come up and wrap up rugby style. it will prolong his career and make him much more durable. His skill is covering and run stopping but he does not need to lay the wood every time. Just make the stop.

RB - Isaiah Crowell,       Solid RB2 more like a RB1b, great hands, tough runner. 5’11” 225 lbs. 25 yrs old. With Shady turning 30 before the season he provides solid insurance and our running game instantly becomes out strength again, of course build up the OL.

WR Jeff Janis,      great size 6’3” 220, great hand with deceptively fast speed, 4.4 at combine. Great on ST and has shown to be a solid return man. Easily takes over the role from Holmes and return game from Tate. Janis could even battle for the outside role opposite Benjamin with Zay in the slot, at the very least a solid #4 WR. Contract would be decent, definitely less than Chris Hogan received from the Pats (4 yr $12M), I’m think Janis could be had at $2M per.

DT Star Lotulelei,     fills the run stuffing role, still has some game left to warrant a decent contract. Allows Kyle to stay on playing a more reserve role snap count rotational DT, Bills will Draft a DT in round one as well. This will turn a glaring need into a strength up the middle. Star Lotulelei , Kyle Williams , Rookie 1st rounder, and Adolphus Washington.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I suppose “B4 the draft” bothers me more than most people, so that’s on me. I guess we have abandoned the language that....n/m

I'm with you, reading this post took some translation work. I think I got it ????

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

RB - Isaiah Crowell,       Solid RB2 more like a RB1b, great hands, tough runner. 5’11” 225 lbs. 25 yrs old. With Shady turning 30 before the season he provides solid insurance and our running game instantly becomes out strength again, of course build up the OL.

WR Jeff Janis,      great size 6’3” 220, great hand with deceptively fast speed, 4.4 at combine. Great on ST and has shown to be a solid return man. Easily takes over the role from Holmes and return game from Tate. Janis could even battle for the outside role opposite Benjamin with Zay in the slot, at the very least a solid #4 WR. Contract would be decent, definitely less than Chris Hogan received from the Pats (4 yr $12M), I’m think Janis could be had at $2M per.

DT Star Lotulelei,     fills the run stuffing role, still has some game left to warrant a decent contract. Allows Kyle to stay on playing a more reserve role snap count rotational DT, Bills will Draft a DT in round one as well. This will turn a glaring need into a strength up the middle. Star Lotulelei , Kyle Williams , Rookie 1st rounder, and Adolphus Washington.

I would love all three.

And, if we can get them--or something similar, then roll the dice with Sam Bradford. Of all the potential Free Agent QBs, he is the one that can lead you deep into the playoffs--with the required qualifier, if he can stay healthy.

But if he can be had at a reasonable price and we get better in other positions (Like ZayDay suggests), and we can draft a developmental QB, Bradford would be worth the risk.

Maybe its just me ... but I think we fill the defensive holes in the draft sans if we can get Star DT .. get the LB's and OL's and CBs in the draft

Sam Bradford - Fragile .. but competent and maybe cheaper due to injury history

Star L

Paul Richardson

39 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Maybe its just me ... but I think we fill the defensive holes in the draft sans if we can get Star DT .. get the LB's and OL's and CBs in the draft

Sam Bradford - Fragile .. but competent and maybe cheaper due to injury history

Star L

Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson is gonna get a big deal probably close to $10M per. Like close to 5yr $50M, at or Greater than What Woods got.

I dont see Beane doing that.

Moving Glenn to right guard , I get he is expensive but let him put a healthy year and lets avoid the dead money and revisit next year 

GABRIEL Wr  is a great fit 

Avery Williamson. lb .  

R Melvin CB

2 of the three are the second tier types the brought it last year.  There will be a big market for Williamson   imo