Donald Jones to exit 'John Murphy Show'

ricojes

I liked Donald Jones on the show, I thought he represented the players' perspective pretty well, especially compared to Murph, Chris, Sal -- even Thurman, who is mostly just talking about who he got to rub elbows with that week (usually by forcing himself into a situation). 

I got the impression that Donald wasn't interested in being a "Bills-only" type of sports personality and expect that he will try to find a position where he can cover NFL stories from a broader perspective.

Hopefully WGR / Bills Media replaces Donald with a similar recent(ish) player who can bring similar perspective.

As an out-of-towner, I like the show...makes me feel more connected to what is going on in Buffalo. And I like hearing some of the national guys, who were weekly guests this year, talk about the Bills (Greg Cosell, Trey Wingo, etc.).

I do like both Murph and Donald. When they were first going to bring in a co-host, I was rooting for Reuben Brown because I think he is

really knowledgeable about the game, but Donald has been ok. 

I don't mind so much that the show is a homer show. Instead, my top two negatives would be that Donald almost always repeated what the last person said before he said what he was thinking. That was a bit irritating sometimes, but he got better at not doing that as time went on. And with Murph, to me its less about him being sensitive to some of the callers than it is him not really understanding what they are saying. Sometimes he starts responding a little tough on a caller and I'm thinking, that's not what he was saying. Or he goes off in a different direction from what the caller was talking about.

But, I do like that Murph is from the area, has been around the team so long, and feels the way us fans do. He's lived through it too. Donald didn't really seem to know too much about Bills history, which is ok...but it might be good to get someone who feels more connected to the team in there.

Edited by folz

16 hours ago, ricojes said:

Former Buffalo Bills receiver Donald Jones is leaving "The John Murphy Show" that is carried on WGR 550 AM radio and MSG after two seasons.

Mark Preisler, executive vice president for media and business development at Pegula Sports and Entertainment, confirmed Jones' departure in an email.

He said Jones will be leaving in the coming months "to pursue other opportunities closer to his home in New Jersey. This was Donald’s decision. We thank him for his contributions and wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Jones, who joins Murphy on weekdays in the New Era Field studio to discuss the Bills from a former player's perspective, has been commuting here from his home in New Jersey.

I think he was brutal to start and got better, but should be pretty easy to replace...

He a nice guy but brought nothing to the program. I remember last year when he was talking about draft prospects and literally knew nothing about the players.

Honestly Murphy could got to.

I SAY IT'S TIME FOR THE SAL  CAPACCIO SHOW!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with this.  I think Murph gets sensitive too much when he doesn't agree with a caller or a statement made by Jones.

He says "really" a little smug each time.  He's just good at keeping most of his composure but you can tell he's irritated with that statement.

Absolutely, it's like if people don't agree with JM or question anything the Bills do he gets all over the caller. It's almost as if he can stand anyone else having their own opinion and it drives me crazy. He's very condescending 

• Like (+1) 1

A great example of the disconnection between Murph and Jones is when Jones used to use the term "ball out". Jones would say something like "Tyrod is about to ball out this week" and it had to be explained to Murph for like a week straight what that meant. 

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

A great example of the disconnection between Murph and Jones is when Jones used to use the term "ball out". Jones would say something like "Tyrod is about to ball out this week" and it had to be explained to Murph for like a week straight what that meant. 

That would be all on Jones.  Is Murph expected to know street/locker room lingo...and I'm no fan of Murph's.  

On 1/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, stony said:

I can get behind this.  Jones was/is pretty bad, but Murphy is an odd host.  The way he sets up questions, seems like its difficult to have a free flowing conversation.  He also never changes his voice.  

Yeah, the difference between the two shows is evident.  Doesn't help the more fun version leads into the football show.  

Honestly, they DO make me wish i understood hockey

I like Jones ability to bring in the knowledge of the game and enjoy the parts of the show where he disagrees with John. Will miss his banter with Lorenzo. 

I found his take with the situation with Eric Wood and his conversation on the struggle he had as a player when he was forced to retire. Put it more into focus as to how hard it is to put the game down.

Too bad that Donald's leaving.  I have to say, he was starting to get much better on air and you actually listen to the show.  When he first started Donald was terrible and the show was unlistenable.  

As far as a replacement, I get the idea that this job might not pay so great and that's kind of a p/t position or else they'd have a bigger name in the co-host chair.  Also aside from co-hosting, Donald also was running a community program for West Seneca schools.  Thurman, Tasker, and Ruben Brown all have had regular segments, but I'm thinking they probably don't want to commit to the show, they can't commit, or they money just isn't worth their time.  

Also for those speculating Sal Capaccio - I guess it's possible.  He would to leave WGR (Entercom) and join PSE for a position which might for all we know might be part time.

I think they'll get a guy like a Brian Moorman.  A lesser known name

Sal would be the best in my opinion, but I think he likes the more meaningful gigs he currently has mixed with spots here and there on the radio.

Some may not like his tone at times, but he is usually right, has very logical takes, calls out the idiots (and there's a lot of that in the caller community) and knows the game well.

Donald just confirmed on air he is leaving in 2 months to spend more time with his family in NJ and grandparents who are ill. Said he will still be in the Bill's organization.

I would like to see Murph also step down and give the show to Sal. C or one of the upcoming talents at WGR who could be more objective.

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Donald just confirmed on air he is leaving in 2 months to spend more time with his family in NJ and grandparents who are ill. Said he will still be in the Bill's organization.

I would like to see Murph also step down and give the show to Sal. C or one of the upcoming talents at WGR.

No way Murph would ever step down. He'll do that show until his heart explodes 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They actually argue a ton. I don’t listen a lot either but when I do I think they hate each other.

I think Jones usually disagreed with Murph but didn't want to make him mad. Murphy doesn't seem like the most open-minded person in the world.

Sal isn't bad, but he's on the station all day long. I liked it when Chris Brown hosted the show a few times. Even as a company guy, he seems more on the level of most fans. Not ridiculously optimistic like John is. I wish John would step down. I only listen to his show during training camp, or days when big news happens.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They actually argue a ton. I don’t listen a lot either but when I do I think they hate each other.

This was my impression too. Jones didn't really tow the company line as blindly and faithfully as Murphy does so they occasionally bickered.

My favorite was when Jones though Peterman should replace Taylor as the starter (before McDermott actually announced it) and Murphy didn't. Murphy said something like "Do you honestly think that Peterman can do what Taylor does on the field?" and Jones responded "Do I think that he can throw for 165 yards in a game? Yes." lol. It was pretty funny.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

No way he wants a 3 hour daily talk show committement for 75k/year or whatever those guys make. 

Jones was mediocre and wont be a huge loss. Often would just agree with each other. I like Ruben. 

I doubt it's that much to be honest.

On 1/31/2018 at 1:19 PM, wagon127 said:

Sal isn't bad, but he's on the station all day long. I liked it when Chris Brown hosted the show a few times. Even as a company guy, he seems more on the level of most fans. Not ridiculously optimistic like John is. I wish John would step down. I only listen to his show during training camp, or days when big news happens.

Murph is the worst...every time someone fills in for him, his show is instantly better imo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 12:12 PM, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I would like to see Murph also step down and give the show to Sal. C or one of the upcoming talents at WGR who could be more objective.

I've always liked Sal but he just didn't have a good year with his takes, IMO.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

This was my impression too. Jones didn't really tow the company line as blindly and faithfully as Murphy does so they occasionally bickered.

My favorite was when Jones though Peterman should replace Taylor as the starter (before McDermott actually announced it) and Murphy didn't. Murphy said something like "Do you honestly think that Peterman can do what Taylor does on the field?" and Jones responded "Do I think that he can throw for 165 yards in a game? Yes." lol. It was pretty funny.

Jones died on Peterman hill too.

It's hard to recover from those takes...........there's just no room for excuse.

McD was wise to separate himself from Dennison and gain some deniability.

Switching out ANY QB for a guy who then puts up the worst half of QB'ing in modern NFL history is a memorably bad look.

Not a big fan of Murphy but he's the radio voice and not going anywhere so hopefully they get a better co-host/analyst to work with him...........Peter King shouldn't be the guy to have to tell your hometown radio guys that it's going to be a bloodbath.......but that was the case with Peterman.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

• 1 month later...

Tasker says some strange things sometimes. Things that aren't true. He doesn't seem to have knowledge of the NFL in general or even the Bills. But I like him alright.

Murphy has gotten weirdly bitter this year and seems to have thin skin.

Donald Jones was a train wreck from day one. Every single time he started talking he would repeat word for word what John just said. Later on he started forming his own opinions, but you could always tell he knew nothing about the Bills or the NFL because he didn't do his homework.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Tasker says some strange things sometimes. Things that aren't true. He doesn't seem to have knowledge of the NFL in general or even the Bills. But I like him alright.

Murphy has gotten weirdly bitter this year and seems to have thin skin.

Donald Jones was a train wreck from day one. Every single time he started talking he would repeat word for word what John just said. Later on he started forming his own opinions, but you could always tell he knew nothing about the Bills or the NFL because he didn't do his homework.

There is zero knowledge of the NFL or draft between Murphy and Tasker. It's embarrassing. I'm sure Tasker is getting paid a big deal as well. Could have done much better. Very disappointing. 

• Like (+1) 1