Donald Jones to exit 'John Murphy Show'

ricojes

So apparently no one here can grasp the concept of a "company show" where you get some perspective from people aligned with OBD.

This is right up there with the people who complain that Chris Brown's take is too pro-management - as if they are confused by who he works for.

These guys are useful b/c while they have to keep things controlled and occasionally close-to-the-company-line, they are the easiest way for us to find out what the company line is!!

• Like (+1) 1

I had last summer off work and would flip on the JM Show on MSG for background noise while doing stuff around the house. Thought DJ got better with experience and it was interesting to hear things from a recent players perspective. He shared some fun stories about some of the guys he played with here. 

But yeah, commuting back and forth from Jersey every weekend sounds like a grind. Especially during winter. 

Sal C would be a great co-host if he doesn't already have enough on his plate. Have him and Murph with former players stepping in as a third host every now and then. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal Capaccio would be a good replacement.

No.

Much rather have a former Bills player or at least someone who has played professional football.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Too bad.

the show needs a balance between between Media/Athlete.

lets Face it.

murph is an old white man whose idea of football is still stuck in the 1970s.  Run, Run, Pass Punt.  Win with defense.  Score hand ball to ref.  No Instant Replay.  Final Score 13-6.

snooze.

that show needs the perspective of a young black former athlete.

when listening to Murph, his view is more a naive idealism to what sports should be.? Player should want to do this for a greater purpose.

donald brought the current athletes view which was much more real and down to earth.  Whose got my money?  I do it for that money.

some of the best debates these two had were when they clashed on the modern culture of the nfl.

juat sticking two old white media guys from 12-3 will be boring.

sal is just homer lite version of Murph but just as wishful thinking that he confuses as what he thinks he believes.

they need another former player.

Das RAYSIS man!

Put Eric on. Would make me pay attention to it, and I don't now. 

Or somebody beloved (like freddy or kyle when he retires), not a mediocre receiver who was only here for 2 sips of coffee. I have no interest in Jones, they might as well have had Gibran Hamdan on.

Look at Sabres, Biron has made their stuff watchable again.

Jones gave some decent insight on the game of football. I remember after the Carolina game this year where zay dropped the catch at the end, he gave a great breakdown of that play and why it wasn't necessarily tyrods fault (Tyrod was taking almost all the blame) 

Having said that, he's not the greatest talker, and sometimes I feel like Murph hates his life working next to him. I definitely like(d) the idea of having him with Murph. Gave us a younger voice and an ex player which was kinda cool at times

I thought Donald Jones was OK at the job...I think he gradually got better as time went on.  He didn't bother me as much as others on this board.

I do wonder about Murphy and how long he will do the show.  He is 63...while not 'old', 5 days a week of the show and the prep he does during the season is a lot for some people.  

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Too bad.

the show needs a balance between between Media/Athlete.

lets Face it.

murph is an old white man whose idea of football is still stuck in the 1970s.  Run, Run, Pass Punt.  Win with defense.  Score hand ball to ref.  No Instant Replay.  Final Score 13-6.

snooze.

that show needs the perspective of a young black former athlete.

when listening to Murph, his view is more a naive idealism to what sports should be.? Player should want to do this for a greater purpose.

donald brought the current athletes view which was much more real and down to earth.  Whose got my money?  I do it for that money.

some of the best debates these two had were when they clashed on the modern culture of the nfl.

juat sticking two old white media guys from 12-3 will be boring.

sal is just homer lite version of Murph but just as wishful thinking that he confuses as what he thinks he believes.

they need another former player.

I don't speak jive, so pardon my confusion.

You say the old white non-athlete is a "naïve idealist".  Then you say the young retired black athlete should "do this for a greater purpose", which is...."whose [sic] got my  money? I do it for that money".

Is that the "greater purpose" that the show would be missing without the young retired black athlete?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

You say the old white non-athlete is a "naïve idealist".  Then you say the young retired black athlete should "do this for a greater purpose", which is...."whose [sic] got my  money? I do it for that money".

Is that the "greater purpose" that the show would be missing without the young retired black athlete?

This is a ridiculous conversation but your point seems to suggest, they only pay the black athlete?

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe something got lost in translation.  

Murph is very old school.  Too old school to be left alone as the sole voice of a show.  That show needs a voice from a person with a younger on the ground perspective.

so when Murph can’t understand why 20 year olds like to celebrate after Touchdowns a former player who is still youthful can give that view point.  And with other subjects as well.

murph has lost touch of the modern day athlete and speaks from a perspective from a past era.

Its good counter balance programming for a sports show.

20 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

This is a ridiculous conversation but your point seems to suggest, they only pay the black athlete?

I'm suggesting that a "greater purpose" is at odds with "I do it for that money"....

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Maybe something got lost in translation.  

Murph is very old school.  Too old school to be left alone as the sole voice of a show.  That show needs a voice from a person with a younger on the ground perspective.

so when Murph can’t understand why 20 year olds like to celebrate after Touchdowns a former player who is still youthful can give that view point.  And with other subjects as well.

murph has lost touch of the modern day athlete and speaks from a perspective from a past era.

Its good counter balance programming for a sports show.

Would a young retired white athlete be unable to bring perspective (other than "I do it for that money")?

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm suggesting that a "greater purpose" is at odds with "I do it for that money"....

Would a young retired white athlete be unable to bring perspective (other than "I do it for that money")?

What’s the % ?

70% of the NFL is African American?

diveristy in viewpoints is never a bad thing especially when one viewpoint represents the majority of the actual players.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

All athletes do it for the money. Or am I wrong?

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal Capaccio would be a good replacement.

I agree Sal would do a fine job.  I wonder though if WGR/the Bills would rather install a former Bills player in order to keep that perspective.

28 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

I liked Donald Jones.  I learned a lot from him. 

Seems like I'm in the minority but I like him. 

Have to guess working with Murphy is no day at the beach ? seems very sensitive and has little patience. I do listen on my walks each day. Live in Connecticut and listen via the Bills website. I enjoy it and hope they replace him with another ex Bill. 

Him and Murphy never have a good dynamic going. I don't think they liked each other very much.

Shouldn't be too hard to replace. For a football player, he didn't really seem to know a lot about X's and O's. I was hoping he would provide deeper insight.

33 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

What’s the % ?

70% of the NFL is African American?

diveristy in viewpoints is never a bad thing especially when one viewpoint represents the majority of the actual players.

That's all true.  That doesn't answer my question.

31 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

All athletes do it for the money. Or am I wrong?

Yes they do, so why would that represent speaking for "a greater purpose"?

The answer is: it doesn't.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Jones couldn't put two coherent sentences together on that show if his life depended on it.  Very often, he'd just rehash what was said minutes prior.  I didn't know he was going back and forth and didn't even live here in WNY.

Gone and forgotten.

I feel much the same way. He did get better, though. Still, half the time he would literally repeat what John Murphy just said.

10 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Please NOT Freddie !!!...... Unless you like politics from the right. not me, no way.

Pretty sure they would be talking about sports, not politics.

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

I feel much the same way. He did get better, though. Still, half the time he would literally repeat what John Murphy just said.

Pretty sure they would be talking about sports, not politics.

Freddie gets his politics in on a sports show.

36 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Have to guess working with Murphy is no day at the beach ? seems very sensitive and has little patience. I do listen on my walks each day. Live in Connecticut and listen via the Bills website. I enjoy it and hope they replace him with another ex Bill. 

I agree with this.  I think Murph gets sensitive too much when he doesn't agree with a caller or a statement made by Jones.

He says "really" a little smug each time.  He's just good at keeping most of his composure but you can tell he's irritated with that statement.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Freddie gets his politics in on a sports show.

You can't handle someone with an opinion that differs from your own?

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with this.  I think Murph gets sensitive too much when he doesn't agree with a caller or a statement made by Jones.

He says "really" a little smug each time.  He's just good at keeping most of his composure but you can tell he's irritated with that statement.

I agree. What's weird is I feel like he got worse once Jones started. I get the sense that he really didn't like Jones much. I will say that it didn't seem like Jones ever did anything to prepare for the show and always wanted to take time off, and complained a lot about a lot of things. Murphy probably resented that.