Vince McMahon to announce return of XFL this afternoon

The NFL could use a minor league. McMahon's ego is too big to do it, but it would be the best thing for the game. Although the on-field product of the NFLis hurting, in no small part due to the officiating, and the league has been plagued by off-field scandal with domestic abuse, murder and the anthem, we are so loyal to the league as football fans it will be an immense challenge to draw the vast majority of fans away. 

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The NFL could use a minor league. McMahon's ego is too big to do it, but it would be the best thing for the game. Although the on-field product of the NFLis hurting, in no small part due to the officiating, and the league has been plagued by off-field scandal with domestic abuse, murder and the anthem, we are so loyal to the league as football fans it will be an immense challenge to draw the vast majority of fans away. 

I don't see the XFL as a minor league or shying away from off-field drama. 

• Like (+1) 1

IF it's an off-season league I think it could work. There is too much football on in the fall as it is, but a spring league that fills the void and gives marginal and unknown players a chance to shine could work.

He should try to land Rex Ryan. Is there a better XFL coach?

NFL could be facing a lockout in 2020 as well. Say what you want about Vince but he is a smart businessman.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

football is mired in ruined lives and hate and violence, it's not going to be a tea party classy thing

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He sold shares in his company to raise $100 million to start Alpha Entertainment, which will do football amongst other things. Is that even enough for an entire league?

Should be enough to get the league itself off the ground. Once teams buy in, more money will flow in. 

16 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He sold shares in his company to raise $100 million to start Alpha Entertainment, which will do football amongst other things. Is that even enough for an entire league?

An entire league, no.  But you can't look at it like the NFL.  I assume they will start with 4-6 teams and see how it goes.

I'm sure Terry wouldn't mind owning another professional sports team.  But then the question is.... Can he own 3 professional sports teams?

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

IF it's an off-season league I think it could work. There is too much football on in the fall as it is, but a spring league that fills the void and gives marginal and unknown players a chance to shine could work.

NFL could be facing a lockout in 2020 as well. Say what you want about Vince but he is a smart businessman.

The hardest part is paying the players.  Football rosters have so many players that it's tough to pay them all anywhere near what their willing to play for (for destroying their bodies).  Nobody will pay ticket prices near high enough to pay everyone to keep it going.  If a spring league is going to work for more than 1 year, it has to be subsidized by the NFL.  Obviously that won't be the XFL.

Anyway, I'll watch for as long as it lasts.  I thought the last one was fun, even if it was only "football" in a very lenient definition.

1 minute ago, Acantha said:

The hardest part is paying the players.  Football rosters have so many players that it's tough to pay them all anywhere near what their willing to play for (for destroying their bodies).  Nobody will pay ticket prices near high enough to pay everyone to keep it going.  If a spring league is going to work for more than 1 year, it has to be subsidized by the NFL.  Obviously that won't be the XFL.

Anyway, I'll watch for as long as it lasts.  I thought the last one was fun, even if it was only "football" in a very lenient definition.

That's what immediately came to mind when I saw the amount and doubted it would work. The last league failed because of a dearth of quality players.

Personally, I wish they would bring back NFL Europe and make it run in the offseason. Interest in football is picking up across the pond and I think a UK/German league for 6-8 teams is a viable option as a minor league.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Even better. Rex and Rob hired as the Co-Commissioners. 

There's a chance the could get some decent "name" players. RGIII, Kapernick, Manziel. There's 3 starting QBs for a maybe 4-6 team league.

I don't think Rex would do it, but Rob Ryan would for sure, IMO. He has almost no hope of ever coaching in the NFL again unless Rex gets a HC gig and brings him in.

I would absolutely watch if Tebow were playing QB out of pure curiosity. Same with Manziel. You know they would go after Kapernick as well. There could be enough talent to field 8 teams. The big issue is salaries.

You would need owners willing to spend and something for a TV deal that would give players a reason to play. Also, no hiring WWE commentators. Hire real play by play people.

One plus for a marginal NFL player who might not be getting a shot, or a guy who the NFL considers past his prime and nobody wants to sign is that if you dominate the XFL people are going to take notice and it could lead to a promotion to the big league.

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't think Rex would do it, but Rob Ryan would for sure, IMO. He has almost no hope of ever coaching in the NFL again unless Rex gets a HC gig and brings him in.

I would absolutely watch if Tebow were playing QB out of pure curiosity. Same with Manziel. You know they would go after Kapernick as well. There could be enough talent to field 8 teams. The big issue is salaries.

You would need owners willing to spend and something for a TV deal that would give players a reason to play. Also, no hiring WWE commentators. Hire real play by play people.

One plus for a marginal NFL player who might not be getting a shot, or a guy who the NFL considers past his prime and nobody wants to sign is that if you dominate the XFL people are going to take notice and it could lead to a promotion to the big league.

One thing that may be a bonus for McMahon is the do have the ability to live stream games over the WWE Network. They still will need some sort of deal with a regular network for certain, but there are many more methods that can be used now than were available during XFLs first run. 

And yes, other than perhaps showing a game over WWE Network, keep the WWE crossovers to an absolute bare minimum. Real commentators are a must. 

Just now, teef said:

why doesn't he just spend his money on coke and hookers like everyone else?

Don't act like you wouldn’t do coke, hookers AND start a sports league if you had the means to swing it all at the same time.

I mean, one could safely assume that coke is what led to the XFL inception/reboot in the first place. Lots of coke.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

He's doing this for MORE money to spend on coke and hookers. 

I will definitely get behind this.

wait...maybe the league could be made up of hookers on coke.  

Just now, 4_kidd_4 said:

Don't act like you wouldn’t do coke, hookers AND start a sports league if you had the means to swing it all at the same time.

I mean, one could safely assume that coke is what led to the XFL inception/reboot in the first place. Lots of coke.

oh no doubt.  i mean, they let players put whatever names they wanted to on the back of their jersey.  if that doesn't sound like a 3 am coke decision, i don't know what does.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

That's what immediately came to mind when I saw the amount and doubted it would work. The last league failed because of a dearth of quality players.

Personally, I wish they would bring back NFL Europe and make it run in the offseason. Interest in football is picking up across the pond and I think a UK/German league for 6-8 teams is a viable option as a minor league.  

This...^

GO BILLS!

I had the opportunity to work for this guy a few years ago. He's a jerk but he knows what he is doing. My concern is that he is too much of a control freak so I'm not sure a true competitive sport is really in his wheelhouse. Maybe he will hire Al Riveron? 

Anyway, if he could get a hold of guys like Tebow, Kaepernick, Manziel, Greg Hardy, Mario Williams, maybe he could make something happen?

I think the difference between now and before is that there is actual talent at home sitting on the streets. People blackballed or getting into trouble or just left behind. The XFL failed because the football was bad, but there is a good amount of football talent out there who have no jobs. Now is the time to strike. 

When the XFL first started it was too much of a side show WWF style, but as the season went on it was a old time no BS football style.  I thought they were on to something and should have stuck with it.  

Gives us football nuts something to watch out of "football season" and gave some guys a chance to develop for the NFL.  Its all good.  

I will be happy to see it return. 

If he really wants to create a different product that would get viewers, female athletes should tryout for teams just like the men. Same goes for officials.

Won't compete with the NFL offering a similar product. It has to be a revolutionary product to stick around.

• Like (+1) 1

Things the NFL should gift to the XFL:

- The Patriots**

- Color Rush uniforms

- Catch rule

- Al Riveron

- Billy Buffalo

- Train Whistle

- Rex Ryan

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

wait...maybe the league could be made up of hookers on coke.  

Score a touchdown, do a line of coke. Sack the opposing QB more than three times, the entire defense does a line of coke. Instead of trainers, strippers on the sidelines giving lap dances 

57 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

When the XFL first started it was too much of a side show WWF style, but as the season went on it was a old time no BS football style.  I thought they were on to something and should have stuck with it.  

Gives us football nuts something to watch out of "football season" and gave some guys a chance to develop for the NFL.  Its all good.  

I will be happy to see it return. 

I thought the reverse, when it started it was good old fashion, with some tweaks, football. I felt it started going downhill when part way into the season they hyped up that during halftime one of the cameramen would be going into the cheerleaders locker room. They ended up making it some stupid fantasy sequence, cameraman got “knocked out” before HT, and dreamed it all. 

how about a list of suggestions for XFL II ?-

• no instant replay (controversy makes for competition! ) 
  • no defenseless player penalties. 
  • mandatory cheerleader TV coverage.
  • no timeouts until the final 2:00 minutes of each half.  
  • 15 sec. play clock.