Confirmed: Concussions don't cause CTE

Mr. WEO

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It will if the NFL has a very limited talent pool of athletes to pull from.

I get that but I don't think the players that are natural talents will be stopped from playing. Their parents will see that they are heads and shoulders better and let them play. I think it will be the periphery of players who aren't quite built to go the distance that may be somewhat effected. There money, BIG money at stake. There will always be big time athletes that will risk their health for the benjamins. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They didn't hide THIS info from their players.  As you said, they hid or mistreated concussions, which this paper concludes are not the cause of CTE.

So where is the liability?

I think the argument that the Dr who originally brought up linking concussions to CTE said that traumatic brain injury was "often" a precursor to CTE. I don't believe that it was just concussions that the NFL was in trouble for. It was traumatic brain injuries, concussion is just 1 type of traumatic brain injury. We're focusing on only 1 type of brain injury. And the NFL hid the effects of repeated traumatic brain injuries (which can include but not limited to only concussions).

please reference: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/study-finds-evidence-of-brain-injury-in-living-nfl-veterans/

https://www.spinalcord.com/types-of-traumatic-brain-injury

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/cte-concussion-repeated-hits-study/index.html

Not sure what this means for the NFL.  It confirms what has already been speculated--it's not about the known events (concussions), it's an accumulation of hits, starting in youth.

While it may further give pause to parents considering tackle football for their kids, it should help insulate the NFL from claims that NFL football caused any player's CTE type disease.

I thought this was always known? Haven't experts been saying for a while that positions like O-line & D-linemen are most at risk since they take direct smaller hits to the head on every single play? Concussions just contribute to damage already being done over & over & over from every hit throughout the game/season.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/cte-concussion-repeated-hits-study/index.html

Not sure what this means for the NFL.  It confirms what has already been speculated--it's not about the known events (concussions), it's an accumulation of hits, starting in youth.

While it may further give pause to parents considering tackle football for their kids, it should help insulate the NFL from claims that NFL football caused any player's CTE type disease.

Toxic masculinity, the answer to all things :rolleyes:

This is terrible news.  My 14 year old son has played since 3rd grade up and including his freshman year of HS.  I won't let him play next year.  I was a bit undecided since he has never had any significant blows to the head.  We live in PNW where the players just aren't that good nor that big.  So I wasn't too worried but now I'm pulling him out. 

He doesn't need sports to succeed in life. He's smart and will go to college.

There are already some High Schools across the country that ended their football programs.  I suspect we will see that number increase significantly in affluent neighborhoods.  Parents just are not going to take that risk.  Switching to other sports may be just as risky as head blows can happen in all sports but there is no doubt the frequency is higher in football.  Sadly in less affluent neighborhoods sports still is a way out for the kids.  It doesn't mean the parents don't care any less about their kids. It is about opportunity and the best way to escape poverty for some of these kids.  The life lessons of being on a team and competing can be learned elsewhere.

They didn't hide THIS info from their players.  As you said, they hid or mistreated concussions, which this paper concludes are not the cause of CTE.

Weo weo weo... Offering alternate facts? It was hidden, and when confronted it was denied for quite some time. The NFL still has a hand  in all this.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

I have received a lot in fact. Mostly from working but also from plain just bumping my head due to poor eyesight.

Soccer has a lot head shots - all that hitting ball with head cannot be good for you.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Well, I've been saying all along and had every !@#$ here who thinks that are a !@#$ing doctor tell me I've been wrong. And now I wonder where they're at?  Sure there's a lot more information that needs to be collected but on something like this where everybody quickly wants to scream something about something just because Will Smith did something...

26copypaste first caught my attention here when he replied that I am an idiot for contesting inconclusive science, for example.

But it's okay, I'll allow you all the kiss my ring and beg for apology

Concussions from CTE and global warming. Boy I sure do love fairy tales.

lets brain storm.

CTE is caused be repetitive and repeated hits to the head and or jarring hits to body which all cause the brain to rattle inside the skull since it floats in a sea of fluid like an unborn child. Unlike the unborn child hitting soft tissue and skin bulging out the football player or other sports players brains rattles off the hard as rock boney structure called the skull. This causes damage to the brain and is highly suspected and many experts agree causes CTE.

Concussions are sudden impacts that cause the brain to rattle inside the skull hitting the inside of the skull like a super ball thrown down and under a chair rattling up and down many times in short period causing trauma to brain, black outs, loss of function, and coma like states, for varying time frames. Sometimes immediate death although rare.

So yeah I am sure CTE is not at all related to concussions.

Are you crazy? Have you been subject to forces that cause CTE?

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

My dad used to hit me on the back of my head with his wedding ring hand and tell me he was knocking sense into me....i fooled him though....

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

lets brain storm.

CTE is caused be repetitive and repeated hits to the head and or jarring hits to body which all cause the brain to rattle inside the skull since it floats in a sea of fluid like an unborn child. Unlike the unborn child hitting soft tissue and skin bulging out the football player or other sports players brains rattles off the hard as rock boney structure called the skull. This causes damage to the brain and is highly suspected and many experts agree causes CTE.

Concussions are sudden impacts that cause the brain to rattle inside the skull hitting the inside of the skull like a super ball thrown down and under a chair rattling up and down many times in short period causing trauma to brain, black outs, loss of function, and coma like states, for varying time frames. Sometimes immediate death although rare.

So yeah I am sure CTE is not at all related to concussions.

Are you crazy? Have you been subject to forces that cause CTE?

Is it just concussions?  Is it just tapping my head?  If I just bump my head on the god damn spice door being open above the store on more !@#$ing time... Am I getting CTE?

It's not just concussions that *could* be causing CTE.  And it's not just the NFL. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And the wrestling confirmed it?

Well played!  I was expecting a different route for a punchline. Turned out better than I thought!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other than possibly affecting the future number of players who play in college, this is the news the NFL has been waiting for.

At this stage of the game it's like anything else, i.e. cigarettes, heroin, booze, your commute to work in the morning. There's data out there, and it's readily accessible now a days that these things pose certain risks. Some more some than others of course. It's about risk versus reward. With everything that has been laid out, if you're in that .1% that can make a living by playing in the NFL are you willing to take that risk? 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Weo weo weo... Offering alternate facts? It was hidden, and when confronted it was denied for quite some time. The NFL still has a hand  in all this.

What did the NFL hide?  The fact that concussions DO NOT cause CTE??

This study is another that clearly shows CTE begins well before any player gets to the NFL, so it is impossible to single out the NFL as culpable.  

4 hours ago, musichunch said:

Nice spin. This is worse for the NFL. It's not just concussions, but hits in general. This sport is toast. Sorry Mr. WEO. Your NFL paychecks will come to an end soon. 

Sometimes I just like watching someone dive into the pool that has no water in it......

It's like a car accident when I see posts like this

Edited by Mr. WEO

46 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Is it just concussions?  Is it just tapping my head?  If I just bump my head on the god damn spice door being open above the store on more !@#$ing time... Am I getting CTE?

It's not just concussions that *could* be causing CTE.  And it's not just the NFL. 

Take a rubber mallet and medium forcefully hit your head repeatedly for 2 hrs a day for 20 years and you will get CTE.

No one says other things don't cause CTE. Anyone with a working brain knows other sports also cause CTE.

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Take a rubber mallet and medium forcefully hit your head repeatedly for 2 hrs a day for 20 years and you will get CTE.

No one says other things don't cause CTE. Anyone with a working brain knows other sports also cause CTE.

Would I also get that hitting my head 2 dozen day a week as an infant falling as I walk?  Or in school where I play at recess?

How frequent is CTE?  Control groups are needed 

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Would I also get that hitting my head 2 dozen day a week as an infant falling as I walk?  Or in school where I play at recess?

No one knows but to be successful do the mallet treatment I described.

Oh and by the way stop eating carrots.

It is proven that 33% of people who die in traffic accidents eat carrots before driving that day.

And start smoking because 30% of people who smoke do not get cancer. Protect yourself.

lol...thanks for the laughs. I see your tag line is "never take me seriously" you got me.....all in good fun.

Edited by cba fan

7 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

contact sports are a risk. If you are not willing to take that risk you should play Golf, Baseball, etc...

Lots of concussions in MLB, some greats have missed a lot of time from it.

Study also needs to look at other sports and cte io figure out what it takes.

They also need to look at people who didn't at pro or college.

Another factor to remember---the brain can heal from head injuries when a teen. At some point this stops like around 23-25.

I got a bad concussion/head injury my freshman year year of college.  It took over 3 years to fully recover.

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

the problem is more and more parents (especially moms) will discourage or flat out restrict their kids from playing football.  The player pool will diminish. 

I’d agree, but the majority of NFL players are not raised by liberal suburban moms. It will take longer for this to affect places like football loving Texas, and inner cities imo. It’s more likely that mothers in places like suburban NY and Massachusetts will ban their kids from playing football. Not the places that provide the stars of the game. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

7 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I don't believe the NFL is very excited about this news

It's not new info, it confirms what previous studies have shown.

It de-emphasizes the issue that has been an anchor around the NFL's neck since this story broke: "concussions".

In fact, if the NFL again chose to argue (they wouldn't for political reasons) that concussions are not causing CTE--well now they have all of science to back their position.

How would they NOT be (secretly) pleased with this study's conclusion?  Experts are saying football players contract CTE but their teens.

Edited by Mr. WEO

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not new info, it confirms what previous studies have shown.

It de-emphasizes the issue that has been an anchor around the NFL's neck since this story broke: "concussions".

In fact, if the NFL again chose to argue (they wouldn't for political reasons) that concussions are not causing CTE--well now they have all of science to back their position.

How would they NOT be (secretly) pleased with this study's conclusion?  Experts are saying football players contract CTE but their teens.

No, just the opposite. It's saying that even if it's not serious enough to cause concussion, repeated hits to the head can cause CTE.

"Previous studies have shown that repetitive hits to the head -- even without concussion -- can result in CTE, but scientists said this is the most definitive study to date to find this connection."

This isn't good news for the NFL in any way.

And your headline is really misleading. This study doesn't show that it's "Confirmed Concussions don't cause CTE." Concussions do. But so do even lesser impacts, if repeated.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There are waaaaaay too many college football teams anyway. Should eliminate about 90% of them.

Too many bowl games also. Remember last year?  Normally needing 6 wins to be bowl eligible, there weren't enough 6 win teams so a couple of 5-7 teams went to bowls.

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

I would expect soccer players get CTE.  Taking a header off a hard pass is likely not good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?  Nothing in this article or study confirms concussions dont cause CTE.  All it confirms its that CTE can occur with out the occurrence of a concussion.  It actually makes the situation worse for the NFL in my opinion because it makes all impact around the head a factor.  Also, this wasn't new information, they already said that repeated trauma to the head starting from youth football is a big contributor towards CTE.  

In fact, I don't recall anyone really stating that concussions were the sole cause of CTE in the first place.  And a couple of interesting quotes from the article:

• Previous studies have shown that repetitive hits to the head -- even without concussion -- can result in CTE, but scientists said this is the most definitive study to date to find this connection.

So this here literally states that a concussion isn't required to bring on CTE, but it does NOT state that concussions don't impact CTE.  

• Some of these changes in the brain occurred as early as 24 hours after injury. Goldstein said one of the cases could be diagnosed as early-stage CTE.  The four specimens were compared to brains from four other athletes of similar age who had not experienced any recent head trauma before death. The brains in this group had no changes in their pathology.

States right there that within 24 hours of brain trauma that changes already had been occurring indicating early stage CTE.  Well what do you think a concussion is?  Its Brain Trauma...so while they are stating a concussion isnt required for CTE to occur, it also suggests any brain trauma can bring on early stage CTE within 24 hours, and a concussion is brain trauma.  

Most importantly, they didnt examine someone who just got a concussion to see if they had early stage CTE.  So its impossible for them to rule it out as a cause, as a contributor, or a catalyst to CTE...especially with them specifically stating brain trauma in general can create the signs of it almost immediately.

So this thread title is misleading in my opinion, all this article proved was that ANY brain Trauma, not just concussions, can bring on the conditions of CTE and repeated blows to the head is all that is needed.  But I read nothing in this article that said Concussions do not contribute to brain trauma.

Thread title should be:  Confirmed:  CTE can be caused by any head trauma, not just concussions.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

The article says that repeated blows to the head. Which is something we already knew. It’s been suspected for a while that this may be just as bad or worse for guys who play on the lines. 

Concussions are not “THE CAUSE” but they certainly exacerbate the situation. It’s actually worse for the NFL. “Hey guys, those big knock out hits aren’t really where this all starts. It’s the small pops, blocking, tackling, and going to the ground, etc. That’s really where this starts! Just the entire concept of football.” 

Its really odd that you came away away with something positive-ish for the league win this article. It’s not very good for the sport. 

some people dont get it though no matter how much their head is beaten right?  All we need is a test to filter out those who will get CTE and those who wont.  The ones who wont can play football and we can put all the rules back in and go back to enjoying people get bashed apart?

Real Sports on HBO a couple of years ago had a story about doctors indicating that a contributing factor is the number of hits over time and teams should try to limit that, especially in practice.  

I dont think this this changes anything at all, especially if anyone is trying it insinuate that concussions are now ok.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts