Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

So many here asking what his philosophy will be etc.   Well, no one was involved in his interviews, but I imagine he was asked those questions by McD.

We'll see more as he gets here is interviewed, starts coaching etc.  but seems like he's respected by many and has a rep as a really good teacher.  Sounds promising.  

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you know what a debate is?

an Opposing View is?

and how lazy it is to say NFL coaches and FO know everything?

Whining does not equal debating.

I don't know how I feel about this.  I feel like the offensive-minded coaches that come out of the NCAA are rarely able to translate success at the collegiate level to the NFL.  On the other hand, this guy has been around a lot of winning and he isn't a retread OC.

Without name dropping give me one reason to think he's a great hire.  Best I can come up with is that he seems to put together good running games but he appears to be downright horrible with QB's.  Matt Moore is the closest thing he's had to a passing game and even as I say he seems to put together a running game the teams he's had haven't been able to score with the running game so it's kind of a mute point.  Now someone give me a reason other than he's a likeable guy or there were rumors Bilichick was going to hire him.  We all know Brady can basically run the offense without an 0C.

He isn't a retread ........... as long as you forget the 3 times he's failed miserably at it.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

Without name dropping give me one reason to think he's a great hire.  Best I can come up with is that he seems to put together good running games but he appears to be downright horrible with QB's.  Matt Moore is the closest thing he's had to a passing game and even as I say he seems to put together a running game the teams he's had haven't been able to score with the running game so it's kind of a mute point.  Now someone give me a reason other than he's a likeable guy or there were rumors Bilichick was going to hire him.  We all know Brady can basically run the offense without an 0C.

From what I've read here he's a very good teacher.  Assuming you'll have a young QB that's very important.   

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He isn't a retread ........... as long as you forget the 3 times he's failed miserably at it.

MUTE POINT ALERT!!!!!

33 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Guessing you don't watch much college football either (RollTide) Bama/Bills/Celtics/Angels since 1965. He played the cards dealt and when he had a QB who could throw he threw. Great running backs and OL and you're supposed to NOT run ?  TE's were not used in the passing game much at all.  But your snarky grade is A+ 

Cool.      I liked it when DeShaun Watson and Johnny Manziel killed that Bama defenseJohnny-Manziel.jpg

Good for Daboll, gets to distance himself from Saban.      Go Bills, don’t care about BAMA 

22 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I like the move.

He has a history of winning.  Five Super Bowls, and a national championship his first year.

He has coached under the greatest HC in pro and college (Belichick and Saban) so he understands detail, preparation, winning, and never letting the foot off the pedal.

HIs past Pro OC experience does give pause, especially since the passing game on the teams he OC were horrible.  But he also had horrible teams (CLE, KC) who had horrible QBs that are all either backups or out of the league.  He was still able to rank 5th in rushing for a 2-14 KC team with Matt Cassel at QB.  That's how you cut your teeth as a first time coordinator, getting your butt kicked on a crappy team with crappy talent)

I'm sure he has learned from that experience as well since it's been five years ago.  Since that time he's won a few more rings with NE and was tabbed by the greatest college coach to run his offense.

This guy was next in line for the Patriots OC job.  Bills snuck in and stole him before McDaniels could make his decision.  He was also Nick Saban's selection to replace Lane Kiffin.  My thoughts are if this guy is good enough to be considered OC by storied franchises such as Belichick/Patriots and Saban/Alabama) than I believe the Bills made the right move here.

I would rather do this then hire a retread like McCoy or Chud, both of whom really hadn't done much to write home about over the last five years.

I say go outside the box and strive for greatness.

That's what champions do.  

Go Bills!

18 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I just hope our passing game doesn't disappear.

Disppear? was this a joke?

I was hoping for Daboll but i thought he was not the favorite. what do i know?

Great Hire!

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

From what I've read here he's a very good teacher.  Assuming you'll have a young QB that's very important.   

I've read it but he's been in 3 different cities and had beyond miserable results.  I might be optimistic if we had an established QB and WR and he was bringing in a sound running game, he seems to have, and a ball control offense.  Everyone here is clamoring for a passing attack and that does not seem to be his thing at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

I've read it but he's been in 3 different cities and had beyond miserable results.  I might be optimistic if we had an established QB and WR and he was bringing in a sound running game, he seems to have, and a ball control offense.  Everyone here is clamoring for a passing attack and that does not seem to be his thing at all.

You cannot ignore the quality of personnel on those teams.

We will see.  People argued for guys like Chad and McCoy and similar arguments could have been made.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

And you accomplish a solid passing game with Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, or a faltering Matt Cassell?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

And you accomplish a solid passing game with Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, or a faltering Matt Cassell?

Don't forget Colt McCoy. But get ready for the counterpoint where people try to pretend Tyrod is as bad as McCoy, Quinn or Cassel.

Spoiler alert....he isn't

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You cannot ignore the quality of personnel on those teams.

We will see.  People argued for guys like Chad and McCoy and similar arguments could have been made.

I don't think I ignored that at all.  I said if we had an established QB and WR we might be good.  Do we have a much higher quality of players here that he's going to be working with?

31 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

NFL GamePass goes back to 2012, the last time Daboll was an NFL OC. I guess I’ll be using my spare time watching Chiefs games to see how he likes run his offense and call plays. 

I wouldn't bother. Save your time and make the reasonable assumption that what he has learned over the last 6 years would make it absolute. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Daboll also attended St. Francis High School in Buffalo with Jacksonville Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell, San Diego Chargers GM Tom Telesco and Brian Polian, head coach at the University of Nevada.

I remember when they were all little piss pots running around the facility.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

Don't forget Colt McCoy. But get ready for the counterpoint where people try to pretend Tyrod is as bad as McCoy, Quinn or Cassel.

Spoiler alert....he isn't

I actually liked him coming out of Texas (he was unreal there) but he was drafted far too early. 

10 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Daboll also attended St. Francis High School in Buffalo with Jacksonville Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell, San Diego Chargers GM Tom Telesco and Brian Polian, head coach at the University of Nevada.

Brian Polian actually got fired from Nevada. He’s back at Notre Dame.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

What does this hire mean for Tyrod and the other guys on offense? Your thoughts?

Hopefully this decision has had no impact on Tyrod and he was already going to be released or traded in the first week of March.

In Daboll's defense, that 2009 Cleveland Brown team was a trainwreck.  Mangina was coach, Rob Ryan was DC, and Daboll was OC. Brady Quinn / Derek Anderson QB cluster, and Jerome Harris / Washed up Jamal Lewis as HB.  Turned over almost half of the roster from the previous season.

Then in 2010, Holmgren comes on board and takes a crap all over their draft.  Everyone on Mangina's staff knows they are dead men walking.

2011, Sparano's last year coaching the team.  Richie is there. He gets the QB trifecta of Matt Moore, Chad Henne, and JP Losman!  Reggie Bush is RB.

2012, Romeo's last season coaching the team.  You will never convince me that this team did not purposefully tank. Brady Quinn an Matt Cassel QB controversy literally all season long. Jamaal Charles carrying the rock.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially when you consider what he inherited in each stop (which was crap) and he was only given 1 year at each of his last two stops because the HC's got canned.  Saban is not going to hire a moron to run his offense. Based off what this team did this season and the coaches McDermott did hit on in his first job hiring coaches -- I am also willing to trust the process.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 2

Was looking around online and came across this quote with link. (Chad like him when he played for him but said this)

Pennington’s one concern was that Saban named Daboll quarterbacks coach as well as offensive coordinator. He said he wasn’t sure about the coach’s ability to help QB Jalen Hurts with his technique or mechanics.

“They may be doing that in the future,” Pennington said. “I don’t think (Daboll’s) expertise is in fundamental quarterback work or being a quarterback technician. I do think he can improve the quarterback from a scheme and read perspective.”

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nfl-qbs-rave-alabama-brian-daboll

So his choice of QB coach may be critical. Not an endorsement as a QB coach. 

He appears to be more geared toward, power man blocking schemes. That fits our personnel better. 

https://www.tidesports.com/brian-daboll-alabama-offense-analysis/

I applaud the Bills for going a little outside the box, and reaching to the college ranks for a Coordinator. And if you’re going to choose that path, a good place to start is a National Champion. Also, professional development is not excluded from the NFL; I would hope any professional at the highest level is capable of maturing their abilities, and grow through them. So while I have no idea if he’ll be any good, I’m willing to look at his most recent work and think there should at least be some optimism and give him a chance to prove himself without a belief of future failure just because he doesn’t “appear” to be the candidate I like best.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Joe DeFillipino 

Chud

Bevell

and no its not that i dont like the hire. There was NO need to rush to hire Brian Daboll. And yes i get sick of the well great hire worked with BB and Saban crap pretty easy. 

If your gonna scream great hire have some real substance 

I'm not familiar with Joe DeFillipino.

Bevell did a decent job putting an offense together around TJax in Seattle his first year then guiding Russ Wilson's transition into the NFL, with an experienced HC and a very good FO behind him.  Then there was that goal-line Super Bowl call he stands firmly behind, and the fact that the offense has steadily regressed the last 3 years.  Is It that he needed a HOF RB and a stud-laden OL to make it work?  What has he done besides win in Seattle with great player personnel at his disposal?  To me he was a question mark, especially the stubborn defense of the goal-line pass play that arguably cost Seattle the SB.

I would have been OK with Chudzinski, but for those who just look at end record, the #30 rated offense this year and #24 his first year should give pause.  For those who say, "but he didn't have Luck, he had Brisset as QB' yes, but then wouldn't the same extenuating circumstances hold true for Daboll, who had Quinn and McCoy as his QB then Cassel during some bad results?  Chud has more than a decade of experience as OC in the league and at least half are at or near the cellar, split by a couple good seasons coaching Cam Newton.

I think the thing to remember with Daboll is his last OC stint was 5 years ago (2012).  If in part that's because he decided he needed a reset, and dropping back to apprentice as an assistant for a while was just the thing, he would follow a tradition of guys who have not been "all that" in their first go-around, and have learned and grown before trying again.  That's where certainly I'm willing to reserve judgement.  If every guy who sucked in his first go round never got a 2nd chance and kicked a**, we would have been spared the Belicheck years in NE and the last 7 years of Seasnakes as well.

From what I hear about Daboll:

1) he tries to adapt to his players - important IMO

2) he is said to be very smart (Scott Chandler tweet)

3) he is said to be very organized and hard working (article interviewing Alabama players)

4) he is said to have managed player conflicts over ball touches well with Alabama (same source)

Lastly, one of my concerns with the Bills is, if the coaches have not been heavily involved in successful, winning organizations recently to know what they put into preparation and practice, will they know what needs to be done?  Bevell, of course, has that history.   When does Chud and your other suggestion have this?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, simool said:

In Daboll's defense, that 2009 Cleveland Brown team was a trainwreck.  Mangina was coach, Rob Ryan was DC, and Daboll was OC. Brady Quinn / Derek Anderson QB cluster, and Jerome Harris / Washed up Jamal Lewis as HB.  Turned over almost of the roster from the previous season.

Then in 2010, Holmgren comes on board and takes a crap all over their draft.  Everyone on Mangina's staff knows they are dead men walking.

2011, Sparano's last year coaching the team.  Richie is there. He gets the QB trifecta of Matt Moore, Chad Henne, and JP Losman!  Reggie Bush is RB.

2012, Romeo's last season coaching the team.  You will never convince me that this team did not purposefully tank. Brady Quinn an Matt Cassel QB controversy literally all season long. Jamaal Charles carrying the rock.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially when you consider what he inherited in each stop (which was crap) and he was only given 1 year at each of his last two stops because the HC's got canned.  Saban is not going to hire a moron to run his offense. Based off what this team did this season and the coaches McDermott did hit on in his first job hiring coached -- I am also willing to trust the process.

LOL when you put it that way - maybe McDermott should be concerned!

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't think I ignored that at all.  I said if we had an established QB and WR we might be good.  Do we have a much higher quality of players here that he's going to be working with?

You did when you said he'd been a failure with other teams.

We will see what happens at QB.  I think we can safely assume TT will be gone.  I expect Dabold will be very much involved in deciding on his successor. But we'll have Shady, Benjamin, and Clay.   Pretty good core to work with.

I think I'm getting over it.  It's like I wanted a Ferrari and my wife made me buy a plow truck.  I guess if you live in the NE then maybe a plow truck is a good thing.  I don't hate his offenses but whatever he does he's going to have to get in the end zone a lot more in this stint.