Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One thing that needs to be said is that in Daboll's previous stops as OC, two of them were under two very crappy offensive HC who stuck their mitts all over the offense, Mangenius and Tony Sporano. So it's hard to even blame him for much of it. The one time with a defensive HC, Romeo Crennell in KC, unsurprisingly he had a good run game (Jamaal Charles) and a crappy passing game (the floundering Matt Cassel).

Mangini coahed defense but I hear you.

Just now, Bangarang said:

So what kind of offense does this guy run? What does he like to do? 

Im obviously very underwhelmed by this hire but I’d at least like to know what I will be watching on Sundays.

He likes to run, and he likes to pass, and he likes the RPO. In some seasons on some teams they passed a lot, and on some teams they ran a lot, with varying degrees of success, with an assortment of good and bad players, on great and lousy teams, with smart and dumb coaches. He has done very well with some guys and not so well with others, at different times under diametrically opposed situations.

I feel really strongly both ways about him.

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Just read this guy is only 42. Got his 1st OC job at 34. 

I remember back then he was really hot, his bad HC luck threw him back to New England.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Take a breath, you have all year to learn about him. 

Agree.

Haven't seen this one posted yet.

Has some Bill B. input.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/01/14/buffalo-bills-name-brian-daboll-offensive-coordinator-alabama-new-england-patriots-super-bowl-ur/1032877001/

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah thats EXACTLY what I posted said. I get it its the good ole boy system

Absolutely it is. Just the good old boys. All of us against you. It’s what we do around here. We choose random member IDs out of a hat and then we attack. We viciously attack innocent posters for no reason at all.  Borderline criminal really. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

First of all, thank you SDS for trying to keep this on topic.

I honestly don't know what to think about the hire. I didn't  register the name at all, and I can't remember the teams he was a part of on the NFL. That said I was not high on Dennison when he was hired and my opinion went down from there.

Things I like: 

-a willingness to experiment and creatively use the talent around him

- a run first OC. No matter what, it should be the focal point of our offense whether we keep Tyrod or start a rookie

Don't like:

-a lack of production at the NFL level previously 

I am ok with going to college level for coordinators

Just now, SDS said:

Absolutely it is. Just the good old boys. All of us against you. It’s what we do around here. We choose random member IDs out of a hat and then we attack. We viciously attack innocent posters for no reason at all.  Borderline criminal really. 

Yep said that as well. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How are you underwhelmed if you don't know his philosophy?

My guess is by this guys horrible resume.  I'm not happy at all.  Been through decades of this crap so I'll get over it.  Cool off, hope for the best but every piece of tangible evidence says this guy doesn't have it.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So what kind of offense does this guy run? What does he like to do? 

Im obviously very underwhelmed by this hire but I’d at least like to know what I will be watching on Sundays.

He loves power running... and running it straight down their throats. However he is the type of guy who likes fit his schemes to his players. He wants to put players in a situation to succeed. And he will often try to line his players up in mismatches by finding the defenses weaknesses.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Mangini coahed defense but I hear you.

Yeah, he did coach both offense and defense. Belichick hired him first as an offensive guy, and has gone back and forth but more defense. You're right. I just remember reading and hearing about him micromanaging the Browns when he was there. Don't know about the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He likes to run, and he likes to pass, and he likes the RPO. In some seasons on some teams they passed a lot, and on some teams they ran a lot, with varying degrees of success, with an assortment of good and bad players, on great and lousy teams, with smart and dumb coaches. He has done very well with some guys and not so well with others, at different times under diametrically opposed situations.

I feel really strongly both ways about him.

Likes to run and pass? Why, that’s two thirds of the football trifecta! 

Just now, Maine-iac said:

My guess is by this guys horrible resume.  I'm not happy at all.  Been through decades of this crap so I'll get over it.  Cool off, hope for the best but every piece of tangible evidence says this guy doesn't have it.

In before someone reminds you again that he coached under B.B. and Saban. 

1 hour ago, Mopreme said:

He inherited the bama job. Little experience.  Not a good hire in my opinion.  Def a money move.  I thought ken dorsey was the right guy.  We need passing focused offense ccordinator, not another run guy.  

Do you have facts for any of this? You sound full of a bull **** 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I do like tailoring to a players skill set. But can i ask you what that means to you?  Is it limiting your systems to fit a player. Or chaning little nueances to fit a player (ala chan to Stevie. I dont care how you get there but you have to be at this depth by this point)

Playing to their strengths. Very Simple. Tyrod sucks at intermediate passing, has (had) a decent deep ball and is best scrambling. We have arguably one of the BEST rushing attacks in the NFL. Rather than force Tyrod to be a pocket passer, do like Chan did and use more roll outs and bubble screens. 

The reason I like this hire is I feel like from what he has done historically is more up my alley than Rico. He has more of an adaptive skill set.  

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

First of all, thank you SDS for trying to keep this on topic.

I honestly don't know what to think about the hire. I didn't  register the name at all, and I can't remember the teams he was a part of on the NFL. That said I was not high on Dennison when he was hired and my opinion went down from there.

Things I like: 

-a willingness to experiment and creatively use the talent around him

- a run first OC. No matter what, it should be the focal point of our offense whether we keep Tyrod or start a rookie

Don't like:

-a lack of production at the NFL level previously 

I am ok with going to college level for coordinators

Am I crazy, or is the bolded the very thing that has been holding us back for the last few years? We need to pass, or least have the threat of passing, or we will never be able to score late in the game when the other team knows what you're doing.

I'm nervous about Daboll's "system" and I am worried he won't be the best guy to entrust our shiny new franchise QB with.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's largely been a function of poor personnel. 

Were you a big follower of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs during those glory years? Did you watch those games impressed with his offense and play calling?

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know if this is true.  I heard this as speculation/rumor.  I don't know much about the fella.  His previous NFL OC experience was apparently limited by bad qbs.  Nonetheless, his numbers are underwhelming.  Qb/qb coach will determine much of his success or lack thereof.

Well Patriots fans say he was one of the two favorites... He had been a Belichick guy since early 2000s. He even followed Eric Mangini from Browns to Jets... After they left New England.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Two days of silly arguments and name calling.   Is everyone suffering from PMS this weekend?

Trust the process!!!

Haven't you heard? The Bills are a week into a new 17 year playoff drought...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

This is exactly correct.  As the days go on I'll keep my head up and hope for the best, but all stats and evidence point towards this going about as well as the last 10 OC's we've had.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's largely been a function of poor personnel. 

Well with either a rookie or Taylor how is that going to be drastically different here?  Like I said I'm trying to take deep breaths.  I'll get over it.  Try not to let this run over into other posts/days but right now this seems very short of what we needed.