Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Not a fan of this at all.  

And yet, he's been repeatly hired by some of the best NFL and D-1 college minds (Bellichick, Reid and Saban) and hasn't sat out a year due to lack of demand.   What do they know that we don't?

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1997 William & Mary (REC)
1998–1999 Michigan State (GA)
2000–2001 New England Patriots (DA)
2002–2006 New England Patriots (WR)
2007–2008 New York Jets (QB)
2009–2010 Cleveland Browns (OC)
2011 Miami Dolphins (OC)
2012 Kansas City Chiefs (OC)
2013 New England Patriots (OA)
2014–2016 New England Patriots (TE)
2017 Alabama (OC/QB)
2018–present Buffalo Bills (OC)

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is he a clapper?

I was just thinking about McDermott's clapping. Imagine what it's like at his house after dark. It's really amazing that everyone in his family hasn't gone completely bonkers. Prolonged exposure to a strobe light causes brain damage.

Just now, SDS said:

Jesus.  So while his ability is apparent to some of the top football coaches that have ever coached, because it is not clear to YOU then that is all that matters - the guy in a house somewhere with NFL.com on his browser and no actual knowledge of his ability as a coach. 

Jesus. When did we stop being allowed to give our opinion?  

Almost everyone on here has the same couch level knowledge and yet here we are, talking about it. 

Clearly, any pessimistic thoughts about this hire aren’t welcome here.  

I’ll kindly move on from it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Why?  Why is this a great young hire?

because he worked with some of the brightest minds in football in Belecheat and Saban and had a top offense in Alabama including a brilliant young QB that he decided to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Almost everyone on here has the same couch level knowledge and yet here we are, talking about it. 

Closed mindedness is a terrible thing to waste...

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And yet, he's been repeatly hired by some of the best NFL and D-1 college minds (Bellichick, Reid and Saban) and hasn't sat out a year due to lack of demand.   What do they know that we don't?

AMEN.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a VERY intriguing hire.

I have no idea if it'll work out, but consider: it's probably McDermott's most important hire (because you only get a certain amount of chances to hire coordinators before the axe falls on your neck - especially if you're an unproven HC), and he chose a guy who coached in two PROGRAMS.

Like it or not (and I like it), these guys are trying to build a PROGRAM.  Why not poach a guy who has worked within the two biggest powerhouse programs in the history of both the NFL and college?  Why not hire a guy who should at least bring analytics to the offense, and hopefully will bring creativity and versatility?  Who comes from two places where they adapt scheme to talent instead of vice versa?

Hey, again, this may not work but you've got to give them credit for thinking outside the box a bit.  McD has steel stones, I'll give him that.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 12

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nah I wont. But thanks for asking and good response have no data on the hire so go after me for not liking it cool. I hope i am wrong and i even said this hire doesnt matter anyway if you get a legit QB. 

But we dont have one so yes the fact in his other NFL and College OC stints the QB play has sucked. The passing offenses have sucked. Sorry i dont put my Bills glasses on for every move they do. So HOW IS THIS BETTER than Dennison 

You wont be able to answer if he’s better than Dennison until he’s actually coached 16 games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know nothing about Daboll, and will reserve judgement until I see him in action, but I can tell you who will love the hire tomorrow at 10AM on the Pegula Radio Network...Jones & Murphy.

Let's see if Daboll was given enough clout to fire McD's OL coach "buddy".

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nah I wont. But thanks for asking and good response have no data on the hire so go after me for not liking it cool. I hope i am wrong and i even said this hire doesnt matter anyway if you get a legit QB. 

But we dont have one so yes the fact in his other NFL and College OC stints the QB play has sucked. The passing offenses have sucked. Sorry i dont put my Bills glasses on for every move they do. So HOW IS THIS BETTER than Dennison 

You don't hope you're wrong - be honest.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Not allowed because everyone walks on water at OBD 

23 minutes ago, fridge said:

A franchise QB solves all problems, but for reference his NFL OC history is atrocious. He finished in the bottom 4 in total offense 3 of 4 years:

2009 Cleveland Browns - 29th ranked offense

2010 Cleveland Browns - 31st ranked offense

2011 Miami Dolphins - 20th ranked offense

2012 Kansas City Chiefs - 32nd ranked offense

YIKES!!!

2009 (5-11) Eric Mangini HC Cleveland= QBs Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson. 29th in PF, 32 yards. 32nd in passing yards, 31st in TDs

2010 (5-11) Eric Mangini HC Cleveland= QBs Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace. 31st in PF, 29th in yards.29th in passing yards, 30th in passing TDs

2011 (6-10) Todd Bowles/Tony Sparano HC Miami=QBs Matt Moore, Chad Henne, JP Losman. 20th in PF, 22nd yards. 23rd in passing yards, 18th in passing TDs

2012 92-14) Romeo Crennel HC KC=QBs Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn, Peyton Hillis= 32nd in PF, 24th yards. 32nd in passing yards, passing TDs

Bad teams, bad QB's, bad HCs. kind tough to judge someone under those circumstances.

2013 Patriots assistant coach-2014-2015-2016 Patriots TE coach. 2017 Alabama OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Seeing how quickly they hired him (2 days after releasing Dennison) I think they knew before hand they wanted him. I don't think this will be as bad as some think. 

I agree. I trust McDs judgement. Clearly they share the same offensive philosophies and I trust this staff made the right call. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So HOW IS THIS BETTER than Dennison 

So HOW IS THIS WORSE than Dennison?

See what I did there? Point is, you don't know if it is or isn't better because he hasn't call ed his first game yet with the Bills. Neither do I. I'm taking a wait and see approach and am hoping that he does well. You're talking in absolutes that he will be worse which is blatantly ridiculous. You would've been the first one screaming from the mountaintop had they retained Dennison. Fact is, you're not happy unless you have something to complain about whether legit or not. Even SDS called you out in this thread.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

Jesus.  So while his ability is apparent to some of the top football coaches that have ever coached, because it is not clear to YOU then that is all that matters - the guy in a house somewhere with NFL.com on his browser and no actual knowledge of his ability as a coach. 

Said perfectly

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

How long until we can start calling for his head?

Gotta let AT LEAST the first 3 plays in the first preseason game happen before putting up a "fire Daboll" billboard.

I would say thats the standard for an OC

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Misleading...........NOT fired, he was not retained by the NEW head coach hire

AMEN.

You are missing my point.

I'm saying the Head Coaches he was hired under got fired, that is main reason he was released.

I think it is a solid hire by McDermott.

He (Daboll) will bring a lot of options and knowledge to McD.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

because he worked with some of the brightest minds in football in Belecheat and Saban and had a top offense in Alabama including a brilliant young QB that he decided to play. 

So he is a good hire becausenif BB and Sabans success.  That is all you got if everything in his resume stays the same but the HCs he was attached to are Mike Pettine and jom Mora he would still be good right?

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

You are missing my point.

I'm saying the Head Coaches he was hired under got fired, that is main reason he was released.

I think it is a solid hire by McDermott.

He (Daboll) will bring a lot of options and knowledge to McD.

I agree.

I misread your original post

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I think his championship rings also give him credibility inside the locker room. He has seen firsthand what it takes for a team to be the best. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You wont be able to answer if he’s better than Dennison until he’s actually coached 16 games.

No but you can look at his past the playcalling. The failures the successes and infer at this point blah cant you

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So he is a good hire becausenif BB and Sabans success.  That is all you got if everything in his resume stays the same but the HCs he was attached to are Mike Pettine and jom Mora he would still be good right?

Alright Bobby, who did you want and why?

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

2013 Patriots assistant coach-2014-2015-2016 Patriots TE coach. 2017 Alabama OC. 

That's an impressive 5 year stretch, some good references! I'm sure he's grown a great deal as an OC , he showed it with the Tide, he's an interesting hire, I like it

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Nothing is wrong with giving an opinion.  It's just that your response showed that you didn't know a thing about the guy.  He's only been at Bama for one year.

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

So HOW IS THIS WORSE than Dennison?

See what I did there? Point is, you don't know if it is or isn't better because he hasn't call ed his first game yet with the Bills. Neither do I. I'm taking a wait and see approach and am hoping that he does well. You're talking in absolutes that he will be worse which is blatantly ridiculous. You would've been the first one screaming from the mountaintop had they retained Dennison. Fact is, you're not happy unless you have something to complain about whether legit or not. Even SDS called you out in this thread.

Sure i can. His NFL OC statistics show he is the same as Dennsion. A decent run game and crap pass game and do you think i care who calls me out. Not violating anything am I

Edited by MAJBobby