Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

23 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

Hate it. What's the scoop on him?

He single-handedly developed Rob Gronkowski into an All Pro:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/12/why_coaching_gronk_prepared_br.html

He was confident he could make the transition because he got along well with the New England Patriots' star tight end -- a player he directly supervised for three seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

Don't confuse ground and pound with Tyrod Taylor guys, Saints and Vikes both ran ground and pound this year and they did pretty darn well.

I'm pretty much over "ground and pound".  We had a top overall rushing attack for two years, and a top 10 attack this year, and it's not like we were killing teams out there.  It makes comebacks impossible and I get jealous watching all these modern NFL offenses.

1 minute ago, fridge said:

I'm pretty much over "ground and pound".  We had a top overall rushing attack for two years, and a top 10 attack this year, and it's not like we were killing teams out there.  It makes comebacks impossible and I get jealous watching all these modern NFL offenses.

Ground and pound is great as long as you also have a QB that can pass when needed. Again look at the Saints.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Is 13.2 ppg the record for least amount of points ever averaged by a team?  If not I don't even want to know how much worse a team could be.

I'm trying real hard not to be negative about this hire, but that is down right scary.

Just now, Jasovon said:

Ground and pound is great as long as you also have a QB that can pass when needed. Again look at the Saints.

You're being incredibly loose with the term if the Saints qualify as "ground and pound".

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

Says who?

Anyone with half a brain... Dude was Belichick right hand man with his time in NE. He loves Daboll. And he was be talked about with NFL OC jobs... Looked to be perfect fit with McDaniels leaving. Now he is here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kmart128 said:

Anyone with half a brain... Dude was Belichick right hand man with his time in NE. He loves Daboll. And he was be talked about with NFL OC jobs... Looked to be perfect fit with McDaniels leaving. Now he is here.

How many right hands does Belichick have?

Just now, Kmart128 said:

Lol. Yeah. Whatever. 

1 minute ago, fridge said:

I'm trying real hard not to be negative about this hire, but that is down right scary.

I'm in the same boat as well Fridge.  I don't think anyone here can get me on board with this hire. He's a flat out McD yes man for now. I will go with the wait n see as I have no choice otherwise. I just hope he can understand how to develop a rookie QB or this thing can blow up in our faces. 

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Cleveland was Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/02/what_brian_daboll_others_have.html

Former Cleveland QB Bernie Kosar on Daboll's time as Browns offensive coordinator

-- "(Cleveland) had a real shortage of talent. It was not a systemic or play-calling thing, though he got a lot of flak for that. The issue was a lack of players. This past year, (Cleveland) was just devoid of playmakers on the team. I'm not really sure it matters if Einstein or Bill Walsh in his prime was calling plays. We had (Peyton) Hillis and that was about it. I really liked what Brian was trying to do. He's got good thoughts and smart ways of doing things. He just needed some players to do it."

--Kosar in 2011, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Dirtbag said:

one under-reported fact is that he also went to the university of rochester, making him the first bills oc to eat a garbage plate.

AVP might have been a candidate to make a pilgrimage to Nick's every once in a while

I met Brian Daboll a couple years ago. His daughter, who already lived in the Buffalo area with his ex wife, was on my daughter’s soccer team.  I can’t say much except that he was a nice person.  His fiancée at the time (I think) and daughter also were also good people. Guessing they are married by now if they weren’t. 

Looks like a good hire hire from a football standpoint too.

• Like (+1) 2