Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Horrible resume??

Dude has been part of 5 Superbowl championship teams and a College football national championship and he has a poor resume?

He hasn't had much success as a OC in the NFL but his QBs were Matt Cassel, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Derek Anderson...ect. Anytime Cassel is you best QB then you will look bad.

Edited by Kmart128

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, he did coach both offense and defense. Belichick hired him first as an offensive guy, and has gone back and forth but more defense. You're right. I just remember reading and hearing about him micromanaging the Browns when he was there. Don't know about the Jets.

I think he was QB coach with the Jets, no? 

He was OC in Miami, KC and Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaMike said:

This hire does nothing to make me believe our offense will be improved.  

Well that's my first blush as well , but we have ro wait and see what his scheme is. If I was the Bama OC 'd run the ball all day and let my man-eating D handle the rest. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I thought it would be McCoy.  But now you have a guy that's a little younger, maybe hungry to establish himself after working with some talent challenged franchises.  Sounds like a very good teacher.  Excited to see what he brings to the table.

This guy wants to be a HC.  A good couple of years here, and it's possible.  Good luck to him. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Were you a big follower of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs during those glory years? Did you watch those games impressed with his offense and play calling?

Where are you a big follower of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs during those glory years? Did you watch those games unimpressed with his offense and play calling? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

Were you a big follower of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs during those glory years? Did you watch those games impressed with his offense and play calling?

Glory years. :lol:  I know he didn't have much to work with and without good personnel I don't care how good of a coach anyone is whether it be Brown, Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Belichick or any of the other greats. 

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Does this mean Tyrod stays?

I think he would be able to build around Tyrods strengths.  I think the Tyrod decision was already made when Mcdermott went to Peterman.  I can see Buffalo holding on to Taylor until they find a better option.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I know pretty much everything about football but I don’t know much about Daboll.

Those of you saying you hate it? You have no clue what you’re saying. You’re just writing words.

(As we’re all Googling his resume).

I haven't seen a lot of people saying they hate it.  We're just being cautious/nervous.  This guy has failed spectacularly as an NFL OC.

1 minute ago, fridge said:

I haven't seen a lot of people saying they hate it.  We're just being cautious/nervous.  This guy has failed spectacularly as an NFL OC.

Why don’t you go ahead and define failure?

It seems to me we have a guy who is never had a quarterback with talent to produce in the passing game, yet he’s managed to have tremendously successful running games without the threat from a talented quarterback to back off the defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Run run run run, throw it to tight end ?

Guessing you don't watch much college football either (RollTide) Bama/Bills/Celtics/Angels since 1965. He played the cards dealt and when he had a QB who could throw he threw. Great running backs and OL and you're supposed to NOT run ?  TE's were not used in the passing game much at all.  But your snarky grade is A+ 

5 minutes ago, fridge said:

Am I crazy, or is the bolded the very thing that has been holding us back for the last few years? We need to pass, or least have the threat of passing, or we will never be able to score late in the game when the other team knows what you're doing.

I'm nervous about Daboll's "system" and I am worried he won't be the best guy to entrust our shiny new franchise QB with.

Do you have a franchise QB in your back pocket? Because, if not, you immensely benefit a rookie by giving a run game that slows up pass rush and sets up play action.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Where are you a big follower of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs during those glory years? Did you watch those games unimpressed with his offense and play calling? 

Clearly I didn’t follow any of those teams. I’m going based on what I know and that’s the fact his offenses have ranked horribly in the NFL. That’s undeniable. Forgive if I’m not ready to wash his balls because he worked for B.B. and Saban.This hire is underwhelming on the surface because his track record as an OC is underwhelming (I’m being nice). 

5 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I like to see what other players and fans say about their departed coaches.  Here is a cool response by NE TE Bennett

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/05/martellus-bennett-talks-cake-playoffs-and-brian-daboll-who-could-replace-josh-mcdaniels/

So all the coaches he has worked for love him and all the players who have spoken about him love him. Clearly someone to stay away from…

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Belicheck focused on Jacksonville.

And I can't believe I just typed that.

Exactly.

McDaniels is gone. He was with NE for 4 years, he was likely OC. McD swooped him up immsdiately ,not giving NE a chance..! 

And he'll have knowledge of their offense. Warming up to the hire. 

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mentioned in another thread that I see pros and cons to Daboll as our OC. He knows the Pats and knows the division. But I will feel a lot better about it if the Bills bring in a good qb coach. 

Oh and, of course, a good QB.

Agreed

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Why don’t you go ahead and define failure?

It seems to me we have a guy who is never had a quarterback with talent to produce in the passing game, yet he’s managed to have tremendously successful running games without the threat from a talented quarterback to back off the defenses. 

I think 32nd out of 32 is pretty close to the definition of failure, but I understand your point.

This guy has had no QB, there is no arguing that.  The problem is that, as of today, we really don't either.  I was hoping for an exciting modern passing offense and looking at this guy's numbers where he's been, he doesn't seem to attempt many passes. That's really all I've got.  I'm hopeful this works out, and I trust McDermott, but this is not exactly a slam dunk hire.

4 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I like to see what other players and fans say about their departed coaches.  Here is a cool response by NE TE Bennett

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/05/martellus-bennett-talks-cake-playoffs-and-brian-daboll-who-could-replace-josh-mcdaniels/

Sounds like a McDermott guy, very technical and cares about the players.

Wow.  Never thought I would ever see a guy that played for and graduated from the University of Rochester ascend to these heights.

Some U of R (Division III) games have < 100 people watching.

Edited by hemma

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Glory years. :lol:  I know he didn't have much to work with and without good personnel I don't care how good of a coach anyone is whether it be Brown, Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Belichick or any of the other greats. 

We have Shady and.......not really much else on offense. How optimistic can we realistically about this if he’s failed with little talent but is coming to a team with little talent?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

So all the coaches he has worked for love him and all the players who have spoken about him love him. Clearly someone to stay away from…

Come on now. You know better than that.  Every hire ever has a million fluff pieces.  Outside of Doug Marrone, I can't ever reading other coaches bad mouthing a guy we've hired... maybe ever.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

If you want to see how his offense runs, you need to watch the 2nd half of the national championship.

The whole season he was holding back because Hurts was horrible.

Here is a quote from an article:

Daboll spent the year trying to maximize the personnel at his disposal. He developed a six-man receiver rotation that included three freshmen -- Jeudy, DeVonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III. He worked in the tight ends as much he could. He created an egalitarian arrangement among the running backs.

But everything led back to Hurts, the quarterback who never really matured into a great passer.

That became evident in the national championship game, when he was benched after completing only three of eight pass attempts for 21 yards during the first half. 

Explaining the move, Saban said, "We needed a spark."

In stepped Tua Tagovailoa, the freshman from Hawaii. Just like that, the complexion of the offense and the game changed. It was as if the restrictor plates from Daboll's scheme had been removed. There were play-action bombs, shallow crosses and passes directed to all areas of the field. Tagovailoa connected with nine different players and helped Alabama gain 277 yards following halftime after it accumulated 94 before then. 

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/01/how_alabama_oc_brian_dabolls_v.html

But, but, but....... I thought he was a run ,run coach. So many well informed people on the board said so

9 minutes ago, fridge said:

What does this even mean? I can't look at a guy's track record because of Bill Belichick???

Basic human thinking? And he’s had 4 years of OC experience. Last being 6 years ago. 

During that time he’s “failed miserably” with the following teams and QB’s...

Cleveland - Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson and Jake Delhomme

Miami - Matt Moore, Chad Henne, JP Losman

KC - Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn again.

My point is that you don’t know anything.

clear?

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 2