Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

Just now, Maine-iac said:

I think I'm getting over it.  It's like I wanted a Ferrari and my wife made me buy a plow truck.  I guess if you live in the NE then maybe a plow truck is a good thing.  I don't hate his offenses but whatever he does he's going to have to get in the end zone a lot more in this stint. 

Absolutely.  I'll judge when I see what he does going forward.

8 minutes ago, since79 said:

Was looking around online and came across this quote with link. (Chad like him when he played for him but said this)

Pennington’s one concern was that Saban named Daboll quarterbacks coach as well as offensive coordinator. He said he wasn’t sure about the coach’s ability to help QB Jalen Hurts with his technique or mechanics.

“They may be doing that in the future,” Pennington said. “I don’t think (Daboll’s) expertise is in fundamental quarterback work or being a quarterback technician. I do think he can improve the quarterback from a scheme and read perspective.”

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nfl-qbs-rave-alabama-brian-daboll

So his choice of QB coach may be critical. Not an endorsement as a QB coach. 

He appears to be more geared toward, power man blocking schemes. That fits our personnel better. 

https://www.tidesports.com/brian-daboll-alabama-offense-analysis/

That true freshman certainly didn’t look underdeveloped in the second half of the National Championship game...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Albwan said:

moving closer to them rolling with tt with this hire ....

I think so.  They will still draft a franchise guy.  You would be hard pressed to find someone better than Tyrod to show a young QB how to prepare, how to practice, and how to handle himself off the field.

Meh. As long as they draft a franchise guy I am good with this.

1 minute ago, simool said:

I think so.  They will still draft a franchise guy.  You would be hard pressed to find someone better than Tyrod to show a young QB how to prepare, how to practice, and how to handle himself off the field.

They'll draft someone they hope can be the answer.  My gut is they bring in a vet that they know is good.  I hope Cousins myself.

Dabold will have a lot to say about it

I think they have TT in their back pocket in case they can’t find a suitable replacement for a reasonable investment, similar to last offseason. 

How not to throw to open receivers, how to not put up points, how to only look at 1st option.  Seriously, TT has a lot of bad habits I don't think I want our rookie QB learning from.

10 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Pass... not a McD kind of guy. Also, I can't forgive him for the Tre dirty hit.

I don't like him right now. 

But this reminds me of those lawyer commercials from the 90s. Call Jim "the Hammer" Shapiro, I may be an SOB, but I'm your SOB!

Same way I was able to crookedly justify Rex. It's cool when the guy everyone hates is on your side.

40 minutes ago, hemma said:

I've lived in Rochester for 37 years and I didn't even know that.

Thanks!

No problem.  One of my favorite things about RIT football.

ritfootball.jpg

For reference, the football program was terminated at the end of the 77 season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They'll draft someone they hope can be the answer.  My gut is they bring in a vet that they know is good.  I hope Cousins myself.

Dabold will have a lot to say about it

1 minute ago, transient said:

I think they have TT in their back pocket in case they can’t find a suitable replacement for a reasonable investment, similar to last offseason. 

1 minute ago, Manther said:

How not to throw to open receivers, how to not put up points, how to only look at 1st option.  Seriously, TT has a lot of bad habits I don't think I want our rookie QB learning from.

I guess we will see won't we?

3 hours ago, Mopreme said:

He inherited the bama job. Little experience.  Not a good hire in my opinion.  Def a money move.  I thought ken dorsey was the right guy.  We need passing focused offense ccordinator, not another run guy.  

A money move? C'mon now.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm kinda wondering why HE took THIS job ?

The guy just won a National Championship, again, and it appears he has multiple better offers waiting for him.

So why'd he decide to come HERE ? of all places ?

He's becoming the Offensive Coordinator in Purgatory.

The guy has to be a loser...

in a "wait and see" mode.  Alabama offense is not exactly a juggernaut, and Jalen Hurts was awful most of the season.  The backup QB (can't recall his name) who came in the 2nd half of the National Championship is a stud--not sure that has anything to do with this guy.  

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

No problem.  One of my favorite things about RIT football.

ritfootball.jpg

For reference, the football program was terminated at the end of the 77 season.

I went to one of their football camps in 1976. Sheeah seems like yesterday.

How can anyone say he is a run first guy?  He was at Alabama who recruits great running backs, why would he throw the ball a lot?  He played to the teams strengths there.  He seems to get a lot of high praise for being smart.  McBean said he wants a guy who can adjust his playcalling to the teams strengths. I think this guy can do the job.  Why so many haters because we got a guy that decided to run with 5 star running backs?

1 minute ago, B Fan in LA said:

The guy just won a National Championship, again, and it appears he has multiple better offers waiting for him.

Coming to a playoff team.  Has a great RB to work with.  Gets to basically pick his QB.  Knows the HC well.  From the area.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, transient said:

That true freshman certainly didn’t look underdeveloped in the second half of the National Championship game...

my question is why did it take this guy so long to put him in??  Also, J. Hurts was subpar all year long.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

How can anyone say he is a run first guy?  He was at Alabama who recruits great running backs, why would he throw the ball a lot?  He played to the teams strengths there.  He seems to get a lot of high praise for being smart.  McBean said he wants a guy who can adjust his playcalling to the teams strengths. I think this guy can do the job.  Why so many haters because we got a guy that decided to run with 5 star running backs?

hey, if he can adjust to team strengths, then that is good with me.  I'm sick of the past coaches we had that insisted on their philosophy--personnel be dammed.  

Edited by RyanC883

17 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

How do you feel Teef?  (About the hire not how you feel in general - do not need to know that!)

Like 90% of bills fans, I'm completely ignorant about the guy.  At this point in my life, I just let the bills have their way with me.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Some fans will find any way possible to stay negative.  It truly is amazing

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

my question is why did it take this guy so long to put him in??  Also, J. Hurts was subpar all year long.  

hey, if he can adjust to team strengths, then that is good with me.  I'm sick of the past coaches we had that insisted on their philosophy--personnel be dammed.  

That's what McBean said he wanted.  Sounds like they got the right guy.  I like that they went for a young fresh mind instead of another retread who is set in his ways

2 hours ago, Radar said:

How do you hate it and then ask what's the scoop on him? Dah!!

It's not a name he knows so the guy must be horrible.  It's called being a lazy fan

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Some fans will find any way possible to stay negative.  It truly is amazing

The Negative Nellies never are on board with anything the Bill's are doing. they must have a Shi##y life if it carries over to their normal living and I suspect it does. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And how could Dennison succeed with the QB he had to work with. See again passing to others. 

Whats his style? Whats his blocking schemes? How route designs. Jesus people for as fast as you call came and said a great Hire i havent seen on post about ANY OF THIS 

Really curious of blocking scheme as well. Even if Weber Darnold/Rosen (don’t think we have the capital), I fail to see the “he gets the most of what he has. 

Chan Gailey is a “get the most of what’s available” type of coach. Fitzy, Spiller, Cordell Stewart, Stevie, Donald Jones, etc. None were very good, but put together an average or slightly above offense, with below average talent. The problem with guys like that, is that their ego gets in the way. Because they can create something out of very little, they don’t strongly pursue more. 

Point being, I think the “something out of nothing” guys gave offenses around 16-22 in the NFL for those 4 years. Not 32, 31, 20. 

Now one that I put this all together, can we hire Chan Gailey? ???‍♂️?

10 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Playoff team 

two first round picks, two second round picks 

he hated recruiting 

"Brian did a tremendous job for us this past season at Alabama, and I know he will do a great job for the Buffalo Bills. He is an outstanding coach and coordinator who put us in position to be successful each week. We appreciate all that he did in terms of his time and his dedication in contributing to the success we had this season. We wish Brian, his wife Beth, and their entire family all the best."

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Coming to a playoff team.  Has a great RB to work with.  Gets to basically pick his QB.  Knows the HC well.  From the area.

I know, I know...............

I'm just trying to put this in perspective and turn the thinking a few degrees..........

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

He was gonna be Belichick's OC after McDaniels leaves. Stole him from right under his nose

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Says who?

That was the rumor if McDaniels got HC job that Daboll was a potential replacement in New England.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/brian-daboll-who-was-potential-josh-mcdaniels-replacement-hired-bills-offensive