Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I didn't realize we had already played a full season under him and averaged that same amount, my apology.

Uninformed pessimism is lazy and it gets pretty old. The guy just won a national championship in his last year of work. How about we actually learn a bit about the guy and see him coach before loudly complaining about someone who you admittedly don't know anything about. 

...just won a national title and spent several years with the mad scientist. And he's under 45. I'm easily pleased. And most important he's not Denny.....now lets go find him a qb??

• Like (+1) 2

The more I read about Deboll the more I find it fascinating that great coaches (Saban and Belllicheat) have hired this guy in the past until he moved on THEN hired him back after those stints. It tells me that they find something special in him to want him back and usually in a bigger capacity.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

The more I read about Deboll the more I find it fascinating that great coaches (Saban and Belllicheat) have hired this guy in the past until he moved on THEN hired him back after those stints. It tells me that they find something special in him to want him back and usually in a bigger capacity.

That’s one of looking at it, I’m more concerned that he keeps finding his way back to them. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

6 hours ago, fridge said:

A franchise QB solves all problems, but for reference his NFL OC history is atrocious. He finished in the bottom 4 in total offense 3 of 4 years:

2009 Cleveland Browns - 29th ranked offense

2010 Cleveland Browns - 31st ranked offense

2011 Miami Dolphins - 20th ranked offense

2012 Kansas City Chiefs - 32nd ranked offense

Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson were his QBs in 2009, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomee and Seneca Wallace in 2010, Matt Moore was his starter in 2011 with Henne as the backup. And in 2012, Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn again split the games about equally.

Not surprised at his lack of success. I'd have to go way further to figure out what kind of plays and offense he was running to come up with a definitive opinion for myself, but those are some bad QBs indeed.

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

That’s one of looking at it, I’m more concerned that he keeps finding his way back to them. 

Looks like he followed past Bellicheat disciples into a terrrible non-Brady QB situations. Here is to hoping he gains an amazing QB one in Buffalo!!

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

RANKINGS

Here are the offensive rankings of Daboll’s units while a coordinator for four years in the NFL.  Each rank is out of 32 NFL teams:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-14%20at%209.23.2

So we should expect to have somewhere between the 28th and 32nd most passing attempts. I can’t stress enough how little I agree with this “offensive philosophy”.

Edited by fridge

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

I like this, thanks for shifting the way I looked at this hire just a bit

2 minutes ago, fridge said:

So we should expect to have somewhere between the 28th and 32nd most passing attempts. I can’t stress enough how little I agree with this “offensive philosophy”.

Just stop. For the love of god just please stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fridge said:

Can you kindly look at the big picture surrounding those teams?

7 minutes ago, fridge said:

As time has gone on has the NFL not become less of a run league and more of a passing league?  So if he has been away from the NFL for a while would it not make sense that he would adapt his offensive philosophy to modern NFL if he is a guy that adapts to his takent and innovative which has been said about him more then a few times?

Im not defending the hire...im not bagging on t he hire....I think we need to wait and see

• Like (+1) 1

well, I have a wish list for the new offensive coordinator of the Bills........

1. I wish he will scheme to the strengths of the roster and not try to fit the roster to a specific ill suited scheme

2, may said OC also be smart enough to make adjustments at halftime to counteract what the defenses are doing to stop Buffalos' offense

3. PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

:-D muppy~

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I took the advice of Hapless and looked up Grantland's Erhardt-Perkins article.  It was very informative.  Here is the link for anyone who is interested.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

These are good reads all! Thanks Hapless, Colorado, and TigerJ!

Running an offensive system that is easier to call and read for the QB can only help whoever is behind center next year, especially if it is a rookie.

46 minutes ago, SDS said:

I did as well.  I found this side tidbit equally as interesting with respect to Rex Ryan and difficulties here:

Like NFL offenses, in recent years NFL defenses have also become too wordy, relying on long-winded calls designating scheme and technique and impractical checks. With the speed at which New England operates, the message for defenses has become clear: fix your terminology or perish.”

I thought the same thing when I read that SDS.

I also thought about the K-gun when they were talking about it being easier to run the no huddle or up tempo out of it due to its simplicity of calling/remembering it. Stands to reason why Brady is so good at the end of half and end of game situations, as they get into hurry up mode. 

34 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’ve been one of the “negative ones”, but I’m willing to give him a chance. I was just hoping to see someone with a successful NFL track record brought in. Daboll doesn’t possess that, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Is there anyone available that doesn't have some warts?

22 minutes ago, fridge said:

I'll be sure to write a strongly worded letter to the Bills front office letting them know that if Fridge of TBD can't sign off on what he is guessing the OC's philosophy, then neither can I. 

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'll be sure to write a strongly worded letter to the Bills front office letting them know that if Fridge of TBD can't sign off on what he is guessing the OC's philosophy, then neither can I. 

I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!'

34 minutes ago, fridge said:

You'd have done the same thing if you had the QBs he has had to work with...dont even act like you wouldnt have. I mean what is he supposed to do, let Matt Cassell fling it all over the place??

The best QB he had was maybe Matt Moore...he plays great off the bench for a game but as a starter?? That's dreadful.

I'd say its pretty hard to really judge much of anything with a QB situation that might be one of the all-time worst for an OC on that many teams...I mean who as an OC can say they had worse QBs than Brady Quinn, Matt Moore, Colt McCoy and Matt Cassell...that's pathetic. 

Bellichick and Saban obviously think highly of him and there were a lot of people expecting him to go back to NE as OC if McDaniels get a HC gig...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

As time has gone on has the NFL not become less of a run league and more of a passing league?  So if he has been away from the NFL for a while would it not make sense that he would adapt his offensive philosophy to modern NFL if he is a guy that adapts to his takent and innovative which has been said about him more then a few times?

Im not defending the hire...im not bagging on t he hire....I think we need to wait and see

Not only that, but sometimes doing the opposite of the general trend can work for a team. New England set a trend of running 2 or 3 TE sets with Gronk and Hernandez as most teams were going smaller and faster on defense to counter more of passing in the NFL. That worked out for them pretty well.

I appreciate your reasonable, let's wait and see. I agree. 

27 minutes ago, SDS said:

Just stop. For the love of god just please stop. 

25 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Can you kindly look at the big picture surrounding those teams?

21 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

21 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Some people just live under dark clouds. It is sad.

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You guys need to relax.

SDS you can yell at me to stop all you want.  As I said before, I trust McDermott.  I'm also not even remotely "living under a dark cloud", I'm literally citing and pointing towards his stats.  If you want to throw those out the window, fine... but it's not simply that he's been responsible for some terrible offenses, but he's shown to have an aversion to passing with the frequency of the rest of the league.

I understand everyone wants a parade today, and I'm not going to bring up his NFL OC track record again.  I get it, right? He won a national championship, Belichick likes him, etc.  Those are not lost points on me, but someone needs to be realistic here and admit we should be a little cautious/nervous about the hire.  The decision has been made so now he's our guy and I'll root for him as hard as all of you when fall rolls around, but please understand that it's very possible that we have an incredibly boring and ineffective offense this season.

8 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

First question at his presser should be. "what are your thoughts on Mike Tolbert?"

I predict it's going to be are you going to cut Hotrod?

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The fifth one is "One for the Thumb." What do you do with the sixth?

Dosen't he have 2 hands? And 2 feet? I wouldn't worry til he gets to 21.

True story. In the 1970s my Dad would take us to Dallas Black Hawk (Chicago farm team) games. We would sit in the TeePee club .  Ernie Stautner was a big fan too. He would sit up there too. My Dad sold printing to Cowboys and knew everybody. Ernie would sit with us. As Cowboy coach he had 4 SB rings. (You get one even if you lose.) He wore one on his finger. He had 2 made into cuff links and one made into a tie tack.

That could be an option as well.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm worried about our passing attack and I'm worried if Daboll can develop and groom a rookie QB. I think our run offense is going to get considerably better and I like the fact that Daboll is only 42. When you look back at his time with the Browns, Miami and the Chiefs, he was extremely young. Most people get older and wiser as time goes on, so when I look at his track record, I keep that in mind. He won 5 Super Bowls an assistant/positions coach and won one College Championship as an OC so clearly he is well thought of in elite coaching circles to the likes of Saban and Belichick. Love the fact that he is a WNY native as well.

The million dollar question is, can he develop a QB? We all know he can run the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

He knows first hand this QB class...

I'm not so sure about this. He was OC at Alabama. He knows their QBs. Why would he know or even care what other college team's QBs are good at?  Especially ones he didn't play against. How mush does he know about the Allen?  Or Falk? Or any PAC 12 for that matter?

I would think the Bills scouting department knows more.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, fridge said:

You guys need to relax.

SDS you can yell at me to stop all you want.  As I said before, I trust McDermott.  I'm also not even remotely "living under a dark cloud", I'm literally citing and pointing towards his stats.  If you want to throw those out the window, fine... but it's not simply that he's been responsible for some terrible offenses, but he's shown to have an aversion to passing with the frequency of the rest of the league.

I understand everyone wants a parade today, and I'm not going to bring up his NFL OC track record again.  I get it, right? He won a national championship, Belichick likes him, etc.  Those are not lost points on me, but someone needs to be realistic here and admit we should be a little cautious/nervous about the hire.  The decision has been made so now he's our guy and I'll root for him as hard as all of you when fall rolls around, but please understand that it's very possible that we have an incredibly boring and ineffective offense this season.

Dude...what is he supposed to do when he has Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Matt Moore and Matt Cassell as his starting QBs? His job is try and hide them as much as possible.

Are you that clueless that you can't understand when you have a terrible QB playing for you, you don't try and feature them in the offense? You try and lean on the running game and pray that the QB position doesnt kill you every game. 

Who in their right mind would say "I'll put the game on Brady Quinn's shoulders!"?? An OC who wants to lose every game going away...that's who.

We literally know nothing about him as an OC other than he has had the worst 4 years of starting QB luck of any OC in NFL history...

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Brian Daboll OC, Sam Darnold QB.

He had the 20th ranked offense with Matt Moore so if we needed a veteran presence, I'd strongly consider Matt Moore as a veteran/professional for 'Darnold' or any other rookie from this class to learn behind.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

He had the 20th ranked offense with Matt Moore so if we needed a veteran presence, I'd strongly consider Matt Moore as a veteran/professional for 'Darnold' or any other rookie from this class to learn behind.

Moore is terrible as a starter after a game or two...please just stop the insanity.

The goal is to upgrade from Taylor not take a downgrade.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Dude...what is he supposed to do when he has Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Matt Moore and Matt Cassell as his starting QBs? His job is try and hide them as much as possible.

Are you that clueless that you can't understand when you have a terrible QB playing for you, you don't try and feature them in the offense? You try and lean on the running game and pray that the QB position doesnt kill you every game. 

We literally know nothing about him as an OC other than he has had the worst 4 years of starting QB luck of any OC in NFL history...

You know, that could be true!

Just now, matter2003 said:

Moore is terrible as a starter after a game or two...please just stop the insanity.

The goal is to upgrade from Taylor not take a downgrade.

Moore would cost 60% less and would likely start 6 games max. I'm not big on drafting a 20 something year old to carry a franchise right away, now that's insanity.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Moore would cost 60% less and would likely start 6 games max. I'm not big on drafting a 20 something year old to carry a franchise right away, now that's insanity.

Moore is not a good QB. No thanks. I'd rather take my lumps with a rookie that will get needed reps than waste 6 ganes on Moore.  

If that's the best plan we can come up with then just keep Taylor.

Moore is not a good QB. No thanks. I'd rather take my lumps with a rookie that will get needed reps than waste 6 ganes on Moore.  

If that's the best plan we can come up with then just keep Taylor.

Moore is a professional. You don't draft a 20 year old and expect him to carry a franchise right away unless you're the Cleveland Browns. Expecting a rookie to be a savior is too much pressure, the idea is to buy him time to learn the playbook, take the pressure off, stall and buy as much time as possible.

Are you that clueless that you can't understand when you have a terrible QB playing for you, you don't try and feature them in the offense?

What about my post that you replied to made you feel that I am clueless?

I have acknowledged that he had bad QB's (and for the record, Cassel had gone to the pro bowl in 2010). That's not lost on me at all.  The problem is that we have also had terrible QB's, and unless something incredible happens in the offseason, I don't expect for Brett Favre in his prime to be under center for us.

I've read some good and some bad on Daboll's offense.  I've been trying to be very realistic about the hire but jesus man... why call me clueless just because I'm nervous that this guy doesn't have a great history?

I have season tickets even though I live on the other side of the country. I rebooked my flight home to greet the team at the damn airport after they clinched the playoffs.  I flew to Jacksonville.  I'm not some doom and gloom fan.  I want this team to win just as much as you and I'm pumped for the season.  Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they're clueless.

Over the last three seasons we have had an incredible rushing attack, but it hasn't helped us win games when we're trailing late.  You need opposing defenses to fear the threat of a pass.  Daboll displayed over the course of 4 seasons that passing attempts are not an integral part of his offense.  I'm happy that his rushing attack has been proven successful, but I'd love to have a legitimate passing attack. It's been YEARS.

Everyone has been giving him a pass, as those though 4 years never happened.  I get it, I honestly do.  It's easy to say, "hey it's the browns, it's the dolphins, it's the chiefs", but those were historically bad offenses. 

I'm still hopeful that his fourth stint as an NFL OC he figures it out and maybe his experiences since KC have helped him take advantage of this opportunity.  He's a little older now, surely a little wiser, a little more successful and hopefully ready to learn from his past mistakes. I trust McDermott and I hope it all works out.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, fridge said:

What about my post that you replied to made you feel that I am clueless?

I have acknowledged that he had bad QB's (and for the record, Cassel had gone to the pro bowl in 2010). That's not lost on me at all.  The problem is that we have also had terrible QB's, and unless something incredible happens in the offseason, I don't expect for Brett Favre in his prime to be under center for us.

I've read some good and some bad on Daboll's offense.  I've been trying to be very realistic about the hire but jesus man... why call me clueless just because I'm nervous that this guy doesn't have a great history?

I have season tickets even though I live on the other side of the country. I rebooked my flight home to greet the team at the damn airport after they clinched the playoffs.  I flew to Jacksonville.  I'm not some doom and gloom fan.  I want this team to win just as much as you and I'm pumped for the season.  Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they're clueless.

Over the last three seasons we have had an incredible rushing attack, but it hasn't helped us win games when we're trailing late.  You need opposing defenses to fear the threat of a pass.  Daboll displayed over the course of 4 seasons that passing attempts are not an integral part of his offense.  I'm happy that his rushing attack has been proven successful, but I'd love to have a legitimate passing attack. It's been YEARS.

Everyone has been giving him a pass, as those though 4 years never happened.  I get it, I honestly do.  It's easy to say, "hey it's the browns, it's the dolphins, it's the chiefs", but those were historically bad offenses. 

I'm still hopeful that his fourth stint as an NFL OC he figures it out and maybe his experiences since KC have helped him take advantage of this opportunity.  He's a little older now, surely a little wiser, a little more successful and hopefully ready to learn from his past mistakes. I trust McDermott and I hope it all works out.

I think it is more how you say things in your original posts.. More cup half empty then half full. Just Saying

• Like (+1) 1