Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

I like that McDermott wants to surround himself with guys smarter than him.

Don't know that Daboll will be excellent right out of the gate.   I do think, if he is really that smart, that he will be near the top of his field at some point in the future.  (Tends to happen with the smartest people.)

If he ends up being great while here, there is a really good chance he stays in Buffalo for a long time - because of his roots here.     That would be absolutely awesome if he ends up being a great one.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 3

Bummer...I was hoping Darrell Bevell was gonna be next up  here. Just briefly looking at some of Daboll's history/coaching experience, he doesn't inspire much confidence as he led the worst offense in the NFL in 2009, and second worst in 2010 (albeit as the OC of the factory of sadness). Hopefully he works out! 

1 hour ago, Wily Dog said:

Maybe with the turmoil in NE Belicheck is going to ride off in the sunset after this year . maybe he has cautioned his "friends" 

Nah. Bit by bit we're finding out that WickerSHAM's story was mostly BS. Unnamed sources, friends of, and sources close to. Much of it seems made up, which wouldn't be surprising from someone who works for B$PN! There wasn't any turmoil like the article claimed. But I'm editorializing...

Josh McDaniels was the heir apparent in NE. There are several rumors now that he's going to take the Indy job. That tells me that Belichick is staying in NE. If the talk was that Josh was going to stay, then I would be worried. No, the rest of the league will have to wait a few more years.

Still, I know this ride won't last forever...  

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Hopefully none from the defensive side considering their NFL track record. 

They have a ton of talent on both of sides of the ball, as always. Fitzpatrick and Payne on D are two of the best players in the whole draft. For the Bills purposes I’d take a good look at Bo Scarbrough in the mid rounds. He doesn’t have a lot of tread due their RB depth  but he’s a pro-ready RB imo. 

7 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Nah. Bit by bit we're finding out that WickerSHAM's story was mostly BS. Unnamed sources, friends of, and sources close to. Much of it seems made up, which wouldn't be surprising from someone who works for B$PN! There wasn't any turmoil like the article claimed. But I'm editorializing...

Josh McDaniels was the heir apparent in NE. There are several rumors now that he's going to take the Indy job. That tells me that Belichick is staying in NE. If the talk was that Josh was going to stay, then I would be worried. No, the rest of the league will have to wait a few more years.

Still, I know this ride won't last forever...  

where there is smoke there is fire

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Does the coaching staff for offense get a shake up or no?

I would say almost certainly.  

Hidden in all the Storm-und-Drang about choosing Daboll is this:  as far as I can tell, he's 100% an Erhart-Perkins guy in his NFL pedigree.  

That's New England's*** offense.  When I looked it up, that's what PFR said was the scheme in all his previous OC gigs.  If you don't know how EP differs from. Air Coryell or West Coast, the fundamental plays executed are often the same but the terminology and they way the plays are called differ completely.  Grantland has a good explanation, google "Grantland Erhardt Perkins" for the read.  Some people view it as "smash mouth" football but it's obviously far more than that (see Patriots***, offense, for the use of).

We gonna be handing out new play books with new terminology, and they're going to want some offensive assistants who have a background in EP systems and can teach them.  I don't know if that's any of our current crop.

The good news is

1) by signing Daboll up early, he should have time to choose the assistants he wants

2) since it deals in concepts rather than route trees, EP systems are considered to be easier for QB and receivers to master

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have a ton of talent on both of sides of the ball, as always. Fitzpatrick and Payne on D are two of the best players in the whole draft. For the Bills purposes I’d take a good look at Bo Scarbrough in the mid rounds. He doesn’t have a lot of tread due their RB depth  but he’s a pro-ready RB imo. 

I'd love to get Bo in the 3-4 round because I think he'd be a great change of pace back 

He has pretty bad vision right now which doesn't bode well as a feature back because you either see the holes or don't but he can be a great #2 punch because as you said low tread

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hidden in all the Storm-und-Drang about choosing Daboll is this:  as far as I can tell, he's 100% an Erhart-Perkins guy in his NFL pedigree.  

That's New England's*** offense.  When I looked it up, that's what PFR said was the scheme in all his previous OC gigs.  If you don't know how EP differs from. Air Coryell or West Coast, the fundamental plays executed are often the same but the terminology and they way the plays are called differ completely.  Grantland has a good explanation, google "Grantland Erhardt Perkins" for the read.  Some people view it as "smash mouth" football but it's obviously far more than that (see Patriots***, offense, for the use of).

We gonna be handing out new play books with new terminology, and they're going to want some offensive assistants who have a background in EP systems and can teach them.  I don't know if that's any of our current crop.

The good news is

1) by signing Daboll up early, he should have time to choose the assistants he wants

2) since it deals in concepts rather than route trees, EP systems are considered to be easier for QB and receivers to master

Good post buddy. Always thought you're one of the best posters around here. With soo much info and knowledge. Always end up agreeing with you.

27 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Does this mean we get a new oline coach?

See other post.  Almost certainly.  Juan Castillo as far as I can tell is 100% WCO guy with Ravens and Eagles.

Again, the same actual blocking and play concepts wind up being used, but the way they're referenced is totally different, and I would assume Daboll stipulated the freedom to bring in his own guys who can teach his system as he wants it taught.  It would seem rather a handicap if he has to teach the coaches just shortly before teaching the players.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The good news is

Thanks again HBF.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Good post buddy. Always thought you're one of the best posters around here. With soo much info and knowledge. Always end up agreeing with you.

Here is some info on it.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

Interesting snipet.

"Pass to score, run to win"

The original concepts of this offense looked like a ground-and-pound run-based playbook. The phrase "Pass to score, run to win" was often associated with the Erhardt-Perkins style. The simple terminology for receivers on the outside stemmed from their secondary importance to the overall offense. In later years, these ideas were taken and flipped when teams discovered that the simple terminology actually enhanced the passing game rather than putting it on the back burner. Of the offenses in the league, the Erhardt-Perkins is the one that looks the most different from its first inception. If you look at the late 1980s Giants teams that ran this scheme and the current Patriots, their attacking styles appear to be miles apart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Isn't this the guy that yelled "F Trump"?

19 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Not when it's a fake fireplace.

which do you believe are Patricia and McDaniels more loyal to Belicheck or Kraft ? Tommy is in with Kraft . The Grapollo situation did not set well with Belicheck . Matt is going to the Lions and Mcdaniels may ago to Indy. If Belicheck leaves for say the Giants , draw your own conclusions

Edited by Wily Dog

3 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

I'm kinda wondering why HE took THIS job ?

The guy just won a National Championship, again, and it appears he has multiple better offers waiting for him.

So why'd he decide to come HERE ? of all places ?

He's becoming the Offensive Coordinator in Purgatory.

The guy has to be a loser...

Dunkirk Dom told him to come here.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

No rush hiring Daboll but the Bills do. Either way dont like the hiring at all. But will take a wait and see because at the end of the day it doesnt matter. 

Get a real QB

I get the sentiment, I'd recommend everyone who doesn't like the hire to follow the "wait and see" approach . Without a decent QB and without seeing him call a single game for the Bills I think it's WAY too early to get too invested on either side of this hire.

Edited by ndirish1978

3 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

I'm kinda wondering why HE took THIS job ?

The guy just won a National Championship, again, and it appears he has multiple better offers waiting for him.

So why'd he decide to come HERE ? of all places ?

He's becoming the Offensive Coordinator in Purgatory.

The guy has to be a loser...

He's coming home.  Sometimes people like to come back to their roots.  McDermott has the respect of a lot of people, and maybe there is actually a perception out there that he's building a winner here.  It is an opportunity it get in on the ground floor.  New England has been at the top of the AFC East for a long time, but there are signs the dynasty may be ready to crumble, leaving a vacuum for the team that is ready to fill it.  It's not outrageous to think Buffalo could be that team.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I took the advice of Hapless and looked up Grantland's Erhardt-Perkins article.  It was very informative.  Here is the link for anyone who is interested.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

I did as well.  I found this side tidbit equally as interesting with respect to Rex Ryan and difficulties here:

Like NFL offenses, in recent years NFL defenses have also become too wordy, relying on long-winded calls designating scheme and technique and impractical checks. With the speed at which New England operates, the message for defenses has become clear: fix your terminology or perish.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Remember Dennison scoring 18.9 and getting fired?  This guy averages 17 over 4 seasons.  Just saying.

I didn't realize we had already played a full season under him and averaged that same amount, my apology.

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Jesus. When did we stop being allowed to give our opinion?  

Almost everyone on here has the same couch level knowledge and yet here we are, talking about it. 

Clearly, any pessimistic thoughts about this hire aren’t welcome here.  

I’ll kindly move on from it. 

Uninformed pessimism is lazy and it gets pretty old. The guy just won a national championship in his last year of work. How about we actually learn a bit about the guy and see him coach before loudly complaining about someone who you admittedly don't know anything about. 

• Like (+1) 2