Jags had weakest schedule in 2017

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Couldn't have asked for a better opponent to play.  The Jags have a single quality win on their schedule - Steelers 10/8.  Roethlisberger threw 5 picks in that game.  49ers put up 44 on them.  Cards 27 and Seahawks 24 respectively and they have average at best offenses.  Their defensive ranking is a mirage. 

Bortles threw for less than 200 yards 6 times.

The key to the game is stopping Fournette.  They need to play the Jags like teams play the Bills.  They need to load the box.  Fournette has averaged only 3.6 YPC in Dec.  He is a rookie RB with 268 NFL snaps.  He was hurt in college and has had a quad injury already this year.  The Bills can not let him get going early.  They need to trust White, Gaines, Hyde, and Poyer.  They can handle Bortles.  They have a single WR that can beat the Bills deep.  Play a safety over the top of Cole and put White on him the entire game.

This is a game that is very well suited to TT and McD.  Play it safe. Let Jags make the first and second mistake.  

Bills win 20-13.

• Like (+1) 5

Kind of funny, they only have one more win than we do and won the division with ten wins, and had a relatively weak division overall, but yet they appear to be a much stronger team than we are.  The first half of the season BB played like he did last season, but the past 5 or 6 weeks, he has looked very good, good enough that Jax may not even go after a QB in the off-season.

Two big strengths their defense and Fournette which is something we've struggled most of the year to stop.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not too fearful of Bortles. Our secondary could have a good day.  And I am worried about our run game which will be significantly depleted against a very good run defense on their side. We will need to rely on Taylor to win this one. We will probably employ extra blocking and run a power scheme and hope to win a turnover battle. My guess is low scoring and we have a shot. Hauschka better be ready. 

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

Couldn't have chosen an easier post season game, if you ask me. Doesn't mean it will be easy or that the Bills will win, but this game gives them the best shot.

Will be a lot of Bills fans there I am sure as well...

It won't be easy, and I don't think the Bills should win -- but they could.  Both teams have excellent secondaries. Both are run-first teams with limited passing attacks.

Passing offense - advantage Buffalo

Running offense - advantage Jacksonville, especially with McCoy down, and Fournette is a beast

Passing defense - almost even but Jacksonville has better pass rush 

Running defense - advantage Jacksonville

Special Teams - advantage Buffalo

Coaching - even

To win, Bills will need to play mistake-free + get contributions from playmakers on offense + get turnovers on defense. 

It's one thing to finally get to the playoffs, it's another to win a playoff game. I can't even imagine. We have a good chance this Sunday. However, even if we lose, I'm not gonna be that upset by it. This team way over achieved this year and I'm darn proud of them for getting in the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Couldn't have asked for a better opponent to play.  The Jags have a single quality win on their schedule - Steelers 10/8.  Roethlisberger threw 5 picks in that game.  49ers put up 44 on them.  Cards 27 and Seahawks 24 respectively and they have average at best offenses.  Their defensive ranking is a mirage. 

The key to the game is stopping Fournette.  They need to play the Jags like teams play the Bills.  They need to load the box.  Fournette has averaged only 3.6 YPC in Dec.  He is a rookie RB with 268 NFL snaps.  He was hurt in college and has had a quad injury already this year.  The Bills can not let him get going early.  They need to trust White, Gaines, Hyde, and Poyer.  They can handle Bortles.  They have a single WR that can beat the Bills deep.  Play a safety over the top of Cole and put White on him the entire game.

This is a game that is very well suited to TT and McD.  Play it safe. Let Jags make the first and second mistake.  

Bills win 20-13.

I'll disagree.  We struggle against teams that have a unit (offense or defense) that's really good.  We play much better against a team that lives somewhere in the middle on both sides of the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see us having a passing advantage against the Jags secondary at all.  I'm struggling to wrap my mind on how we are even going to pass against Bouye and Ramsey.  Bouye being the best in the league this year in pass defense with Ramsey right there with him.  Then you have the pass rush from Campbell and the guys up front.  Man this is actually scary, but I'll worry about that Saturday, I'm still celebrating making it in man.  I've been here for 4 SB losses, the music city miracle and then the drought, it's celebration all week for me!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Outside of Pittsburgh and NE, I don’t think there is a clearly better team between Buffalo, Jacksonville, KC, and Tennessee. Hell, throw the Chargers and Ravens in there. 

I think Sunday is winnable for both teams. It’s Foxborough and Heinz field that should terrify every other team. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, mannc said:

I want to know if the Jags will put tarp over their upper deck seats for this game?  Guessing their home field advantage is no overwhelming.

On GR yesterday, they said the Jags got approval from the league & tarp advertisers to remove them.  The 3,900 (IIRC) extra seats sold out within 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Anyone know where their forums reside? I keep coming up with generic ones. I'd like to see what their thoughts on us are.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=26310

Most active forum I could find. Linked is the Bills thread.

Edited by Real McCoy

30 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=26310

Most active forum I could find. Linked is the Bills thread.

I read through a couple pages. They are in the same boat as us: happy to play a flawed and inexperienced team, but worried about their inept passing offense.

I would say both teams are pretty evenly matched. Their defense is probably better, but our QB doesn't turn the ball over, so I think it is a toss up (that is, if McCoy can play).

33 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Some real clowns over there basically calling it a calk walk. The blueprint has been demonstrated on how to beat them = SHUT Down the running game.

Unfortunately that is what we are bad at on defense. And the same blueprint works against us.

21 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

They definitely don’t think much of us. They already have this game counted as a win and are figuring out who they play after that. 

Good, I love when opposing fans are over confident. Sets it up for an upset. 

On another note, it was strange to see the Chargers fan in there talking trash about how the "Jaguars lost to pick their playoff opponent".

Chargers weren't making it because of the Ravens loss or alternatively Bills win. Not bc of the Jaguars loss.

Edited by What a Tuel

54 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Good, I love when opposing fans are over confident. Sets it up for an upset. 

On another note, it was strange to see the Chargers fan in there talking trash about how the "Jaguars lost to pick their playoff opponent".

Chargers weren't making it because of the Ravens loss or alternatively Bills win. Not bc of the Jaguars loss.

If the Jags beat the Titans the Chargers would have got the 6th seed and us the 5th.

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

If the Jags beat the Titans the Chargers would have got the 6th seed and us the 5th.

No, I believe the Ravens would have beat the Chargers based on a better conference record.

Chargers needed a Titans loss PLUS: 

A Bills loss

OR

Ravens win

Edit: Bottom line is nothing happened the way they needed it to. Its just strange to hear them complaining since the Jaguars game ended I believe right before the Bills game or shortly after and the Ravens game was still going. So how the Jaguars were manipulating playoff spots seems sketchy and unlikely.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

On GR yesterday, they said the Jags got approval from the league & tarp advertisers to remove them.  The 3,900 (IIRC) extra seats sold out within 40 minutes.

Buddy of mine is a big shot with a ticket company. Said sources told him Jacksonville still has over 10,000+ seats unsold that haven't went public yet...

12 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No, I believe the Ravens would have beat the Chargers based on a better conference record.

Chargers needed a Titans loss PLUS: 

A Bills loss

OR

Ravens win

Edit: Bottom line is nothing happened the way they needed it to. Its just strange to hear them complaining since the Jaguars game ended I believe right before the Bills game or shortly after and the Ravens game was still going. So how the Jaguars were manipulating playoff spots seems sketchy and unlikely.

Yeah, spot on. They basically  got 100% the opposite what they needed. Whatever with the Chargers though, It's our time.

Edited by Real McCoy

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Bills win 20-13.

Ok I will disagree on AVERAGE at best O for the 49ers with Jimmy G in. I think they were one of the highest scoring Os after he took over.  Seattle AND Arizona have good to great WR and or QB and they can score in bunches.

i agree stop their running game and make Bortles beat you. Bortles is their weak link. 

I fogure the score be..

Bills 17

Jags 14

if they don't stop the run it's a blowout for the Jags