Available RBs? Mathews, Jackson, Banyard and....?

ChicagoRic

Like everyone, I am hoping that Shady will be ready to play next week.

Realistically though, we need a backup plan as our current stable of RBs after McCoy is:

Tolbert: Big but slow. 

Murphy: Former 7th rounder with decent speed but lacking the size/durability to be an every down back.  

So who is out there?

Ryan Mathews.  Cut by the Eagles after recovering from an injury.  Decent runner, not a big receiving threat.  Not a locker room guy, but probably the best guy out there right now. 

Fred Jackson.  Old.  Hasn't played since 2016, but was productive in spot duty for the Seahawks.  Does Fred still have any magic left?  I would love to see him play in a Bills uni again, but just don't know.  

Joe Banyard.  Looked good in preseason and spent time on and off our roster this year.  If he is in shape, he could contribute.

Anyone else?  Looking for practice squad heroes or McDonald's fry cooks waiting for another shot.  

Discuss.  

17 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Go DeAngelo Williams.....

He would be great addition if they sign another RB. I've liked this guy for a long time. Tough RB all around. Did a hell of a job that year backing up Bell when he was out for the Steeleers.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Fred or Deangelo Williams plz 

Deangelo might be good for a game.

Would love to see Fred get to play in a Bills playoff game, but I have serious doubts he could do much at this point.

I expect to see Banyard, and Murph did ok yesterday, but I'm not convinced he could be productive with 20 carries.

21 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Like everyone, I am hoping that Shady will be ready to play next week.

Realistically though, we need a backup plan as our current stable of RBs after McCoy is:

Tolbert: Big but slow. 

Murphy: Former 7th rounder with decent speed but lacking the size/durability to be an every down back.  

So who is out there?

Ryan Mathews.  Cut by the Eagles after recovering from an injury.  Decent runner, not a big receiving threat.  Not a locker room guy, but probably the best guy out there right now. 

Fred Jackson.  Old.  Hasn't played since 2016, but was productive in spot duty for the Seahawks.  Does Fred still have any magic left?  I would love to see him play in a Bills uni again, but just don't know.  

Joe Banyard.  Looked good in preseason and spent time on and off our roster this year.  If he is in shape, he could contribute.

Anyone else?  Looking for practice squad heroes or McDonald's fry cooks waiting for another shot.  

Discuss.  

At this point of our season I could care less if a rental is a locker room guy or not...our players have great chemistry,a newbie wouldn't be allowed to disrupt the spirit/brotherhood.

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Would have to go with Banyard. He knows this offense and the coaches know him well. 

Not to mention he is very familiar with Jacksonville. Was on team last year and knows Marrone and many of the players.

I think we're just fine with Tolbert and Murphy.  They're both hungry and want to play.  Used properly, they can be every bit as good as McCoy, who clearly isn't feeling it after his ... "injury" ....

52 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

You guys are all missing the point. 

The running back is already on the team, and it’s obvious. 

KYLE WILLIAMS. True meaning of ground and pound smash mouth football. 

Put Kyle in.  )

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sharp1128 said:

Wonder if A. Foster is available and in shape....I know he retired but he was great in Dennison's offense. He may be good for 1 game!!!!

Was thinking him or Reggie Bush - also "retired".

14 minutes ago, Sharp1128 said:

Wonder if A. Foster is available and in shape....I know he retired but he was great in Dennison's offense. He may be good for 1 game!!!!

Foster was on the Pardon My Take podcast a week or so ago and said he wouldn’t come out for any amount of money. 

32 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

When are playoff rosters set?  Are they even allowed to sign anyone at this point?

Thats not a thing.

fred makes no sense. Honestly Carolina backs don’t. I’d look at our rotation from this year or guys in Dennisons past 

Forget that any newly picked up RB will have only 6 days to get ready.  If we have e RB's this coming weekend, if we win, and if one or two get hurt, we need to have somebody else lined up.  Maybe a real good guy who is green in our system would be the pick, because he would have ~ two weeks to get ready.  Does that expand the cast of possibilities?