Brandon Beane already top 3 worst GM's in bills history

Yeezus

How the hell you have that pecking order is beyond me. Beane is doing a great job, but without a draft under his belt this is how I have them stacked in the last 20 years or so...

Polian > Butler > Beane > Donahoe > Nix > Whaley > Levy > Russ

It wasn't in order. Levy, by FAR, is the worst GM ever. If it wasn't for Matt Millen, he'd be the worst ever in NFL history. And I put Whaley ahead of Polian and Butler.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what you think in year 3 & 4 of his reign... until then sit back and appreciate what seems to be a group of leaders throwing the trash away and demanding top notch, hard working high character guys.

Next year the building starts with his first draft, plus a large amount of Cap space then starting 2019, we should gain a large amount of Cap space and if he hits on the next 2 drafts with Brady gone, Buffalo will be on top for years to come.

How? He has already shown he is a piss poor decision maker with the roster moves he has made so far.

Who the hell would trust this guy with what could be the most important draft in the last 20 years for this team.

Settle down Millie it all gonna be ok

Wow, I am not surprised he was traded, yet I am surprised we didnt get someone like Yeldone ( rb) thrown in with 6 th ,possible 5 th round pick. Thats just my opinion comparing to what we got for trading Darby who doesnt have the experience that MD has. The other thing that slightly concerns me is that the Jags have a very good pass rushing front 4 so adding Dareus will help shore up their run D since I think its evident he is not going to be relied upon for sacks at this point. The jags are much like we are this year, relying mostly on their D and we might be competing for a wild card spot this year if both teams keep playing at their current levels. I am good with getting rid of MD given his play now for the Bills, but would have rather seen him traded to a team not in contention for the same wild card position. MD will quickly find out there is no being late for anything given Coughlins presence back down here, so we can hope Dareus continues to be Dareus which is possible, or he finds out its pretty easy to get into plenty of distractions believe it or not in Jacksonville. Its not the same place, red neck, good ol boy town it was when I moved here from Ohio in 85 to start my medical Career.

How do you guys think this will make the Bills better this year ? Just asking as a long time Bills fan; I dont think the cap space means that much now or next year,and with an open roster spot who would you like to see added? We are really thin In the D backfield which I think will hurt us this week unfortunately. That seems a likely move to me even with the glaring receiver need as well. They probably need bodies there despite the latest addition cb who will take some time to fit in the current scheme. Any news on Streater since the workout? I think he would get snaps more quickly ( wr, special teams) having been at training camp, as opposed to someone from a different practice squad for example. Lots of smart posters here and Im jus interested in your thoughts ? ( I havent seen any other moves yet, so sorry if I missed that )

Addition by subtraction.If they choose to trade Cordy we better get more than a pick for him though. Let's not forget Darius is one !@#$ up away from a yr suspension. I bet he does great for them,which gives us a 5th then he gets himself in trouble.

It wasn't in order. Levy, by FAR, is the worst GM ever. If it wasn't for Matt Millen, he'd be the worst ever in NFL history. And I put Whaley ahead of Polian and Butler.

Hasn't made a single right decision his tenure here. Keeps trading away the only talented players on our roster and for what?

Has anyone taken a look at our DT depth, its horrible. He just handed out a pro bowl DT in the prime of his career for pennies.

NONE of his trades/signings have made any sense. complete shambles.

People think this is a good trade just bc we are 4-2. Wait until November rolls around and the real Buffalo Bills show up just like the last 17 years folks.

This fan base is legit the most delusional in the NFL. no joke. If anyone is responsible for the success of our team right now its DOUG WHALEY

MD is a weed head!

Next Man Up!!!

I have no idea how Mr. Bean will rank, but I am not particularly impressed with what he has gotten back in return for his trades. We can agree or disagree on whether Sammy etc. should have been traded, but Mr. Bean reminds me of Tim Murray . . . and not in a good way.

Teams could sense how desperate he was to trade Sammy and Dareus and gave up relatively little.

Not impressed so far. I hate buying high and then selling low.

Right now, Bean is lucky that the Bills are 4-2. If this goes south this year, it is not going to be fun for him or SM.

Hasn't made a single right decision his tenure here. Keeps trading away the only talented players on our roster and for what?

Has anyone taken a look at our DT depth, its horrible. He just handed out a pro bowl DT in the prime of his career for pennies.

People think this is a good trade just bc we are 4-2. Wait until November rolls around and the real Buffalo Bills show up just like the last 17 years folks.

This fan base is legit the most delusional in the NFL. no joke. If anyone is responsible for the success of our team right now its DOUG WHALEY

Meatballs 90 years old and still outplaying Mr Big Puff.

I bet Dareus is out of football in 2years if he stays on the same trajectory.

Trust the process.

Whats really funny is that Matt Millen sounds pretty intelligent when he talks football then turns illiterate when he drafts;)

Get a grip. The Bills now have have considerable cap flexibility, they have good players that fit their systems, have stockpiled 10 picks and they are frggin are 4-2, with have a decent chance at the playoffs. At worse, Beane is a good GM.

Barely starting and not even remotely playing to his contract. Several DTs have out played him or matched his performance, hes one toke from a one year suspension and if we think hes average now, what would the Bills get for him in a year or two (and tens o millions dollars later)?

They would cut him at the end of the year.

I hear your point but you can't tell me the Bills are a better team today without Dareus

My only issue is the timing. 4-2 and going into a huge game on Sunday, with playoff talk heating up. Dareus was underperforming, but still one of the top DL options in the rotation.

I knew he had to go, but figured it would be after the season.

Dareus obviously didn't fit in with the process, but a sixth round draft choice doesnt do much for me. Id rather just have held onto him, and hope that he could display an occasional burst of his true potential.

The way I see it, 30 teams did NOT think Dareus was worth a 5th round pick (to outbid Jax's offer of a 6th round pick), so maybe Buffalo did the best they could here.

My only issue is the timing. 4-2 and going into a huge game on Sunday, with playoff talk heating up. Dareus was underperforming, but still one of the top DL options in the rotation.

I knew he had to go, but figured it would be after the season.

Someone posted he plays 33% of the snaps.

If each team ran 80 plays on us thats 26.4 per game and 158.4 for all 6.

He has 4 tackles and 1 sack.

They won't even have to wash his uniform for the next guy he didn't even break a sweat.

How the hell do you compare a 2 yr DB like Darby who has no discipline issues, a relatively modest contract, and just was not a good fit for the defense with a 6 year veteran who is one screw up away from a full season suspension, grossly overpaid (highest paid), and gives almost no effort?

Comical.

We were lucky to get a sixth rounder (conditional fifth) for getting out from under that dumpster fire. It makes us better by jettisoning a locker room cancer. This team is all heart. When your highest paid player is a half ass, that is not a plus

You missed my point or question, which is how do you make the Bills better NOW with an open roster spot. I’m not arguing he shouldn’t have been traded but he has had at least a history of several good seasons and Darby had one as a rookie. I was just wondering why we might not have added or gotten something like Gaines ,Matthews , etc

Obviously Jacksonville has the need or they never call. Fans down here are just as fed up with lousy teams as we are as Bills fans. Their owner has been widely criticised here for never spending money to actually field a competitive team. They obviously think they are playoff worthy and felt the need for a move now. I don’t think we were bargaining from a weak position which is what the results look like to me. I never stated the Bills were worse without MD, just asked what move would you consider with an open roster spot and current needs now !!!

Also anything you say about how Dareus was affecting the lockeroom or being a cancer or whatever derogatory Name you use is nothing more than your uneducated subjective assumption. Unless you work for the BILLs or you are doing their laundry or somehow have access to the locker room and can give me quotes from players complaining about him , just projecting your thoughts doesn’t amount to any truth. Obviously we all agree he was not appreciated by the current coach etc ,but that at least is proven fact. I merely suggested it’s POSSIBLE Dareus helps solidify a defense competing against us for a wildcard spot and I just wondered if perhaps we might have gotten a little more. This is not directed at you but rather other posters stating things that 1) probably not true 2)don’t add to further any discussion

They just now discussed the trade from the jags standpoint in the media here in Jax. They are last in yards/ carry in the nfl yet much better against the pass. They understand the risk and his history ( including his good history) and the beat writers feel like this was a “great move and possible steal” . Knowing Jacksonville’s weakness with the run, maybe we could have done better than a 6 th round. It is a plausible and not comical premise. Thx for your insight.

Someone posted he plays 33% of the snaps.

If each team ran 80 plays on us thats 26.4 per game and 158.4 for all 6.

He has 4 tackles and 1 sack.

They won't even have to wash his uniform for the next guy he didn't even break a sweat.

True-- but he did play more vs. Tampa (showcased?), and was fairly decent. The interior of the DL is short on depth and talent.

To briefly sum up: sinking a huge amount of money, long term, into an interior defensive lineman is stupid.

Finding a way to undo that stupidity is good.

Getting this franchise firing on all cylinders was always going to be a huge challenge.

The trades this year are part of the transition from **** organization to good organization.

Hang in there Bills fans!

True-- but he did play more vs. Tampa (showcased?), and was fairly decent. The interior of the DL is short on depth and talent.

Trust me if McD needed Big Puff to win this year he would still be here.

I am sure the convo between McD and McBean went something like this:

McB ..Jags just offered a 6th to take 99 off the books do you need him still?

McD....Well 6 games in and he has 4 tackles and 1 sack so I say get er done.

McB Ok its done....I am off to scoop up a diamond in the rough from someones practice squad need any position in particular?

McD..nope get me BPA

This may be the dumbest thread ever on any forum, anywhere in the history of threads.

This^^^^^

Front office unloads a worthless unproductive player who's $16 million salary is eight-times the three players who replace him and have double the production of him and our front office is the worst ever?

Obviously the OP failed to research FACTS, like the Bills being 6th in the league vs the run and 4th in least amount of yards per rush not to mention a record of 4-2...all with a bunch of "scrubs" and with Dareus contributing all of 1 tackle and 2 assists heading into last week and 4/4 overall. Not to mention all the off the field suspensions and distractions, which we will have no idea how much he exactly poisoned the locker room with all of his BS.

And of course, the OP is a seasoned Pro talent evaluator who knows that thus far Sammy has been....Sammy, and Darby, who hurt himself, wasn't exactly dominating his position at the time of his injury. Or letting Gilmore go who is getting burnt like toast in NE. Jonathan Williams??? What is he doing? Mind you we didn't make a single playoff game with any of these players.

Just like NE, when you build a team no player is bigger than the whole. BB has run the Patriots like this for years and look at his success. You think cutting Lawyer Milloy in 03 was easy? Yet his team rallied and won a SB.

That's what I love about McD. He'll cut anyone who doesn't fall in line. He's upfront and the players and guys like Kyle Williams and Eric Wood love him cuz he gives respect as well as commands it.

I like what we are building. I like our front office too bringing in these guys like Milano, Humber, Poyer, Hauschka who were out their in FA or drafted late and playing important roles and falling into the team mentality.

Whoever doesn't like it can go follow another team.

How? He has already shown he is a piss poor decision maker with the roster moves he has made so far.

Who the hell would trust this guy with what could be the most important draft in the last 20 years for this team.

Gaines and Matthews + a 2nd ,3rd were great trades.. Thompson ,immediate impact, potentially a great pick up..

D had 1 rough game out of 6.

Our DL is actually very good depth wise. Ryan Davis and Thorton can play, Hughes is fantastic,Shaq is very good, Kyle is playing great, Alexander also plays DE, Shaq will be kicked inside I'm sure, Worthy and Adolphus can play. We are fine on the DL

He unloaded one of the worse contracts in the NFL! We saved 11 mil this year and next year combined and are off the hook after! Dareus was barely playing for a 16/mil a year player, it's fantastic we got rid of the guy...

Gaines and Matthews + a 2nd ,3rd were great trades.. Thompson ,immediate impact, potentially a great pick up..

D had 1 rough game out of 6.

Our DL is actually very good depth wise. Ryan Davis and Thorton can play, Hughes is fantastic,Shaq is very good, Kyle is playing great, Alexander also plays DE, Shaq will be kicked inside I'm sure, Worthy and Adolphus can play. We are fine on the DL

He unloaded one of the worse contracts in the NFL! We saved 11 mil this year and next year combined and are off the hook after! Dareus was barely playing for a 16/mil a year player, it's fantastic we got rid of the guy...

Easy on the FACTS. We don't want anyone to get the idea that there is actual data to back up what your saying.

The ice cream tastes better in LaLa land.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ change the years and scroll down to see cap and dead cap.

With trade Bills now have MD cap hits of :

10.664 mill for 2017 salary pd so far and dead cap.

14.200 mill for 2018. dead cap.

If they had kept him cap hits are:

5.735 for 2017

10.175 for 2018

If Bills had sent MD home and inactivated him all next year they would have approx. 10 mill more salary cap to spend. Then cut MD after 2018 and no dead cap.(I know NFLPA would have balked at that)

unable to check future as spotrac is updated for trade and old data for Bills not avail. They could have cut MD after 2018 with no dead cap. As his contract says he has an out in 2019 w no dead cap. I assume that means before the season but could mean after.

Not clear how Bills save any cap hits in 17 and 18 as Rodak says they do. They save salary which is immediately eaten up and dwarfed by dead cap.

I don't think this is true, is it?

Dareus' cap hit for the Bills this year was around $16M. The only reason it's listed at $5M for the Jags is because the Bills already paid a big chunk of it (and that stays on our cap)

I don't remember the exact figure but His 2018 cap hit for the Bills would have been over $14 or $16M.

By trading Dareus the Bills save $5.7M on the cap this year and they save $2M on the cap next year, so I don't see how they would have had $10M more in cap space next year by keeping him...?

Edit - here's a breakdown I found from 2015. I'm not sure if it's 100% correct or not. I'll have to look around some more.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/9/12/9310199/marcell-dareus-contract-details-buffalo-bills-full-breakdown

Edited by BillsFan4

He's all about the future, and I guess Terry has bought into that. I'm still enjoying 4-2, so hope for the best going forward.

The cool thing about the future is...it's always the future. It never becomes the now. So no matter how Beane's efforts pan out in the near term, he's safe because...he's building for the future...which never comes...ad infinitum. Edited by yungmack

All kind of uber yikes with a side of WAT, and sprinkled with a what did I just read.

Seriously awful post.

I think the trades make perfect sense... Watkins, Dareus either cared about individual achievements or themselves so they're no longer part of the team, we got what we could for them. Matthews is said to be an excellent leader on and off the field. Ragland didn't fit what were doing here, I'm not sure how he could possibly be the top 3 worst GM's, what are you seeing to make that call? A bunch of underachievers leaving? So keep a DT who has done jack **** up until the last game and who doesn't play hard just because he was a former 3rd overall pick? This is an ultimate team sport, you'll never win a SB if your entire team isn't on board.

I need to see three seasons and two drafts before I can make this decision. This year may go poorly. Teams have lost 10 games in a row. That won't change my opinion. If in 2019 the Bills aren't in the playoffs I will say Beane and McDermott took a misstep someplace. I hope it will be one that can be corrected quickly.

I would wait a couple years before declaring what kind of GM he is. Lets see how he spends this hoard of draft pics and money they have accumulated. Then lets see how they build and maintain the team. 2 more years and Beane and McD should have built a super bowl contender. If not then yea. He sucks.

I had to read this again when I saw the title. Beane has been offloading dead wood and cap space and gotten additional draft picks in the process. So far it looks to me he is doing an amazing job in setting us up for the future while maintaining a very competitive team this season. We will have to see how he does next April, of course, but saying he is one of the worst GMs in Bills history is...premature at best.