Week 7...Expecations should return to pre-season

Jobot

So the previously categorized 'impressive' wins are no longer such after the Fins beat Atlanta, and Giants beat Denver...

...and Cincy could have been a lot worse if AJ Green doesn't gift us 2 turnovers.

Unfortunately we are rebuilding and should expect inconsistent play the rest of the way.

So the previously categorized 'impressive' wins are no longer such after the Fins beat Atlanta, and Giants beat Denver...

...and Cincy could have been a lot worse if AJ Green doesn't gift us 2 turnovers.

Unfortunately we are rebuilding and should expect inconsistent play the rest of the way.

Chicago beat Pittsburgh just as Jacksonville did. I guess the Steelers are bad even though they beat KC.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just play the games and see what happens. They have Tampa Bay this week. Win that one and move on.

what this season thus far should tell all is that it is ridiculous to try and do long range predictions for the NFL. In the off season and preseason it was that the Jets weren't going to win a game, the Patriots would dominate, the Raiders would be great, and of course the Bills were already giving up on the season before it even started.

And now look.

Hard to say what we should expect...

The defense has been fantastic for 5 games. I believe they are the real deal. And a defense that consistently holds the opponent under 20 points and forces turnovers will always give you a chance to win, against pretty much any opponent.

At the same time, the offense has been terrible for most of 5 games. Even in our wins, they aren't scoring enough. The running attack was good in Week 1, and has been bad ever since. The passing attack is not good enough to carry us, even when everyone is healthy. A team that struggles to score 20 will put every game in risk.

Our opponents have been up-and-down. The Broncos and Falcons looked really good early, but have dropped off. The Bengals were bad early, but have rebounded. The Jets were supposed to be awful, but were one ridiculous call away from beating the Pats to go 4-2.

What are my expectations supposed to be? We're a team built to play tight games, with a QB who struggles when we're losing. We have like no receivers, and are getting bit by the injury bug.

8-8 +/- 2 in either direction. Balls bounce our way we can maybe do 10-6. If they start to bounce the other way, we're probably 6-10.

What are my expectations supposed to be? We're a team built to play tight games, with a QB who struggles when we're losing. We have like no receivers, and are getting bit by the injury bug.

8-8 +/- 2 in either direction. Balls bounce our way we can maybe do 10-6. If they start to bounce the other way, we're probably 6-10.

yes sir, and that was exactly what my preseason expectations were

not a bad team, not a great team, like most in the NFL. 8-8, with lucky or unlucky bounces or calls...6-10/10-6 isnt unrealistic

The NFL wheel of parity is spinning harder than ever. Frankly all we know is the defense has been ok, and the offense is terrible. Injuries and adjustments will determine things going forward.

Matthews may be back this week. That should help.

Really they need the O line to block better. Scheme aside, line play still comes down to defeating the guy you're assigned to block. Been that way since the dawn of the game. And we're losing too many of those.

I will say this regarding the Tampa game. This is where the Bills have teased us in the past. Making us think they are decent. This game they *should* win, be 4-2 and in the thick of the race for another week. But so often during the drought they will lose a home game like this for inexplicable reasons. I'm definitely worried because teams coming off the bye week or 10 day layoffs look unprepared and (not intense) out of the gate. The Bucs are coming off a very tough loss against a team they should have beaten. They are going to be intense from the opening snap and not looking to lose a 3rd straight game. We'll see if McDermott can get this across to his team. The Bills loss to Cincy is way in the rear-view mirror to many of these players. This game will tell me a lot about the 2017 Bills. If they lose I expect them to be around a 7-9 club.

Chicago beat Pittsburgh just as Jacksonville did. I guess the Steelers are bad even though they beat KC.

I was just going to say the same thing.

Expectations should be that of a 3-2 team: still in good position, but need to win games that you're supposed to, and steal one or two along the way. In other words, we can still "expect" playoffs, or at least a run at it, until proven otherwise.

I will say this regarding the Tampa game. This is where the Bills have teased us in the past. Making us think they are decent. This game they *should* win, be 4-2 and in the thick of the race for another week. But so often during the drought they will lose a home game like this for inexplicable reasons. I'm definitely worried because teams coming off the bye week or 10 day layoffs look unprepared and (not intense) out of the gate. The Bucs are coming off a very tough loss against a team they should have beaten. They are going to be intense from the opening snap and not looking to lose a 3rd straight game. We'll see if McDermott can get this across to his team. The Bills loss to Cincy is way in the rear-view mirror to many of these players. This game will tell me a lot about the 2017 Bills. If they lose I expect them to be around a 7-9 club.

This is also my concern, on paper this appears to be a very winnable game.

But in years past these are the games that the Bills come out and get dominated in by a desperate team playing 'get healthy' or 'get back on track' game. And the Bucs are extremely desperate for a win after two straight losses knowing their season is pretty much on the line this week.

Bottom line this team needs to understand that this is a must win for the Bills and can't worry about the Bucs. They need to play like they are the 2-3 team trying to avoid a 3 game losing streak and falling out of the playoff picture. I do have a feeling the Bills are going to lose though and the expectations that this isn't going to be a very good team this year come full circle.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

If If if

"If its and butts were candy and nuts"

I expect both teams to fumble and stumble and bumble around the field.

Might get a win!

If the Bills weren't playing I'd shut it off after two series of putrid "football"

Hope a protest story dominates that day.

This is the problem with looking ahead at a schedule and calling it easy or hard or impossible based on the teams you play.

As oldmanfan said, I just hope McDermott is true to his weekly focus on these new opponents. Every game in the NFL is winnable. It's that simple. So anyone circling 3 automatic losses for when we play the Chiefs and Patriots twice is just misguided.

Honestly, I think most people here like to circle losses in order to keep expectations super low and be pleasantly surprised when the team exceeds expectations, and if you keep expectations super low, your expectations are almost always exceeded.

This is the type of stuff that really irritates me...are we that delusional as a fan base we have to downgrade the teams wins based on how the opponent did in games after us? What other fan base does dumb **** like that? Some people just don't need to be posting on these boards. We are a Zay catch and any offensive play or non-Clay injury against Cincy away from being 5-0 and this is what we have to read??

My God, people need to stop with this...they are 3-2 because they have played fundamentally, smart, well coached, sound football. The kind we haven't seen in a long time here. We should be excited about what is to come not looking back at what was in the past. They are not going to suddenly turn into a 4-12 team, unless they get absolutely decimated with injuries.

If more people actually knew ANYTHING about football outside of playing Madden on this board, they would be able to understand that. Sadly, with the exception of a handful of posters, that isn't the case and we read rubbish thread after rubbish thread like this and it's drivel contained within. the only thing that is relevant is how the teams were playing WHEN we played them and both were undefeated. Now where is that ignore button...

Edited by matter2003

Hard to say what we should expect...

The defense has been fantastic for 5 games. I believe they are the real deal. And a defense that consistently holds the opponent under 20 points and forces turnovers will always give you a chance to win, against pretty much any opponent.

At the same time, the offense has been terrible for most of 5 games. Even in our wins, they aren't scoring enough. The running attack was good in Week 1, and has been bad ever since. The passing attack is not good enough to carry us, even when everyone is healthy. A team that struggles to score 20 will put every game in risk.

Our opponents have been up-and-down. The Broncos and Falcons looked really good early, but have dropped off. The Bengals were bad early, but have rebounded. The Jets were supposed to be awful, but were one ridiculous call away from beating the Pats to go 4-2.

Agreed, but I am still going with 'we're a .500 team until proven otherwise.

The defense is better, but not great. Our DL is slightly above average, our LB corps is weak. We still could use an upgrade at CB, IMO. Kyle will retire and Lorenzo is not playing as well in this system. He may retire also. We still have work to do on both sides of the ball.

Agreed, but I am still going with 'we're a .500 team until proven otherwise.

The defense is better, but not great. Our DL is slightly above average, our LB corps is weak. We still could use an upgrade at CB, IMO. Kyle will retire and Lorenzo is not playing as well in this system. He may retire also. We still have work to do on both sides of the ball.

They are great at the one thing that matters...not alowing teams to score many points and forcing FG attempts instead of TD's...reminds me a lot of KC's D...allow yards but not points...I'll take that any day of the week.

They're still wins and they count......time to move on to next game and continue the season. These are things that happen during a game...you can say IF about everything

Matthews may be back this week. That should help.

Really they need the O line to block better. Scheme aside, line play still comes down to defeating the guy you're assigned to block. Been that way since the dawn of the game. And we're losing too many of those.

Yes with Mathews back there is some potential for resembling a legitimate NFL offense

I guess I look at this way, if we do beat the Bucs we are 4-2 which is the same spot we were in last year and still collapsed.

If we lose we are 3-3 with two straight losses and the serious criticism and questions begin.

However the Bengals loss still doesn't sit well with me because I keep thinking that if we didn't get all the turnovers on defense we would have likely been blown out by 14+ points. And I still think that type of loss is coming because even most playoff teams have those type of games a few times a year.

Bottom line, the big picture is still likely going to be murky this week with this team even with a win. But a bad loss could tell a loss a lot more than another close win.

I guess I look at this way, if we do beat the Bucs we are 4-2 which is the same spot we were in last year and still collapsed.

If we lose we are 3-3 with two straight losses and the serious criticism and questions begin.

However the Bengals loss still doesn't sit well with me because I keep thinking that if we didn't get all the turnovers on defense we would have likely been blown out by 14+ points. And I still think that type of loss is coming because even most playoff teams have those type of games a few times a year.

Bottom line, the big picture is still likely going to be murky this week with this team even with a win. But a bad loss could tell a loss a lot more than another close win.

so as per usual, it's about losing and your pathetic outlook then it is about winning. yeah, you hold some real positive football discussion there IQ.

only by you

I believe we are an 8-8 team. Offense will remain inconsistent, defense will keep us in games.

Pretty much status quo. I reserve the right to be wrong... but my gut says it will be ups and downs. hopefully a few more ups than what we are used to

I believe we are an 8-8 team. Offense will remain inconsistent, defense will keep us in games.

Pretty much status quo. I reserve the right to be wrong... but my gut says it will be ups and downs. hopefully a few more ups than what we are used to

There are OTC remedies for this.

So now we're back to tanking?

AJ Green got the piss knocked out of him by Lorax. Hes lucky all he lost is the ball👏👏

That guy is such a football player. Lovin some lorax

I would summarize this team by saying our GM did a great job at putting together an impressive defensive backfield and they've been fun to watch..

As nice as that surprise was, the unpleasant surprise has been a very inconsistent and subpar Oline, and the loss of Clay, Jordan Matthews, Watkins and Woods has left us really one dimensional for the Tampa game. Like we literally have a slumping rookie and our kick returner as our best two wideouts. Yikes.

The good news is we're a better team than Tampa, especially on a beautiful fall sunday afternoon in Orchard Park, where our home field advantage is more like 5 or 6 points. I don't care who is playing QB, we're going to take this game by two scores.