Stephon Gilmore is Trending

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the offseason and even during the open game of the season (Patriots/Chiefs), the Bills were getting bashed for all the players the Patriots picked off our roster. Last night on WGR550, there were callers saying the plot to have New England take our bad players has worked.

Hot take, Gilmore has one interception and two passes defended in a New England romp of Tampa Bay.

Hot take? Winston throws the ball around like it's a hot potatoe, wouldn't surprised me if he chucked a few picks.

A hot take would read, Gilmore goes the entire game without any communication issues.

The Pats will get their defense fixed, and then that will be the story of the season - how they overcame their early defensive woes on their way to another division title etc. I almost think they enjoy setting up challenges to overcome, theyve gotten bored with just beating everyones a$$ every year.

Ugh theyre totally in my head. I hate them so much.

Not sure Dean.

I think a lot of it has to do with that he was a high draft pick during a regime that took power in the latter years of the current drought, claimed they were going to bring change, and never produced the results on the field.

The "he's always sucked" comments are rightly ignored; they have zero basis in fact; it's a purely emotional argument that cannot, in any way whatsoever, be supported by any real data.

As for yesterday, what a cluster NE's defense is looking like right now. I'm not a big Rodney Harrison fan (mostly because he's a proven cheater and nobody appears to care about that at all), but he's right when he says that there's clearly huge communication issues. I mean, just look at the Whittaker TD yesterday:

Gilmore is calling out a zone swap when McCaffrey goes in motion, McCourty looks to be calling for a man-pass to Gilmore (but he ends up following McCaffrey anyway), and Kyle Van Noy seems to think he's got the motion back in man coverage as well.

So I ask myself: how can 3 different guys think that 3 different things are going on in the same defense? Gilmore had a lousy game yesterday, but the above issues are systemic in nature.

Probably the most insightful post in several pages and getting no meaningful talk. Thanks for chiming in bandit.

Dudes not playing good ball. Is he the core issue or just a symptom of a bigger problem? Who knows. We don't know the calls or communication process. He's traditionally been a good NFL corner.

A few comments:

"I would literally pay a sack of potatoes $65 million to play CB before I pay Stephon Gilmore."

"Worst performances I've seen from a Patriot today. And he's on a 5 year, $65 MILLION deal . . ."

"Shoot Stephon Gilmore into the Sun"

Most comments would not make through the filter.

Thank you for sharing such tidbits of bile from the Patriots.

I derive pleasure from such.

Kudos to you Loyal Bills Fan !!

To be fair, that kicker is pretty good.

B-)

This is scrumptious.

a delicious choice of adjective.

This is my take, as well.

But there is something I don't quite get. Why all the Gilmore hate? I get reveling in his failure because he plays for the Pats*, but this seems to be something more. Was he a bad guy here? Did he shame the Bills on the way out? And I'm not even talking about the posts that say "He sucked from day one with the Bills" (or things of that nature), because I just write off those comments to stupidity. But there seems to be something that is driving real hate toward him, and I can't figure out what it is.

If it's just about the $$, then Bills fans should LOVE the fact he's getting it elsewhere (especially from the Pats*).

Fred Smerlas s#it all over Buffalo (the city), the Bills and their fans, yet everyone seemed to love him after he left (and to this day, it seems).

Maybe it is just a day for Gloating all around ? How often do Bills fans get a bigger slice of the pie than the Patriots?

Not very.

I have no hate on unhappy. He seems stoned, which makes sense if he has communication issues and or memory lapses. Peaceful yoga hippy type who is now rather rich.

and was overrated too long in Buffalo.

Sound decision to move on from him

Hot take? Winston throws the ball around like it's a hot potatoe, wouldn't surprised me if he chucked a few picks.

A hot take would read, Gilmore goes the entire game without any communication issues.

Dan Quayle?

Maybe it is just a day for Gloating all around ? How often do Bills fans get a bigger slice of the pie than the Patriots?

Not very.

I have no hate on unhappy. He seems stoned, which makes sense if he has communication issues and or memory lapses. Peaceful yoga hippy type who is now rather rich.

and was overrated too long in Buffalo.

Sound decision to move on from him

I think thebandit's response, and yours, probably make the most sense. I'm not making excuses for Gilmore, or suggesting he doesn't have issues. But I certainly don't remember him being a "bad guy" in Buffalo.

But keep in mind, for those gloating and extremely high on T. White (as I am, as well), Gilmore had a pretty damn good rookie year, too. Come to think of it, so did Donte Whitner. (Now, I understand why fans were down on him, when he left the Bills, because he acted totally classless.)

I guess I'm far more interested in celebrating our early success (though we know how that can turn), than spending any effort bashing former Bills players.

He is an average CB at best, below average tackler and looks slow in his hip movements. The guy never impressed me at all, was all about being physical at the line but usually gets burned after that. Just thankful we did not give another MD type of contract for a very medicore player.

Never willing to stick his head in there to make tackles, glad he is gone.

He is an average CB at best, below average tackler and looks slow in his hip movements. The guy never impressed me at all, was all about being physical at the line but usually gets burned after that. Just thankful we did not give another MD type of contract for a very medicore player.

Never willing to stick his head in there to make tackles, glad he is gone.

Pretty much spot on. What bugs me is he was very physical and a really good tackler at S. Carolina. I was really happy we picked him but he just seemed to only play when he wanted to.

I think thebandit's response, and yours, probably make the most sense. I'm not making excuses for Gilmore, or suggesting he doesn't have issues. But I certainly don't remember him being a "bad guy" in Buffalo.

But keep in mind, for those gloating and extremely high on T. White (as I am, as well), Gilmore had a pretty damn good rookie year, too. Come to think of it, so did Donte Whitner. (Now, I understand why fans were down on him, when he left the Bills, because he acted totally classless.)

I guess I'm far more interested in celebrating our early success (though we know how that can turn), than spending any effort bashing former Bills players.

I can only hope this thread shows , that not everyone who leaves Buffalo for New England becomes an All Pro.

I too would rather focus on our Postives

From espn, he was pointing at guys!!!

"The snapshot of a seemingly confused Gilmore pointing as he followed running back Christian McCaffrey in motion with McCourty, leaving his side of the field vacated for Whittaker, summed up the problems the secondary had against a Cam Newton-led Panthers offense..."

Nothing is EVER his fault...according to him.

None of us know what the rest of the season will bring, so that's the caveat to this statement: but McDermott and Beane look more and more competent as the season wears on and while I was in the boat of saying, "well, this is a partial re-build so I shouldn't expect a lot from this team this year" and was more than willing to give them this season to see what they could do and the Off-season to see how they can work together to acquire talent and build a team, they've done a lot with a little. I liked the McDermott hire and I LOVED the Beane hire, especially since he put together one hell of a staff, but this team has exceeded my expectations thus far.

After the Draft and once Beane was hired I did say I thought they would get rid of Sammy or let him walk because he doesn't fit their identity profile on the way they want to build their team, and letting Gilmore go was definitive statement of the same, IMHO....so, let's give it 12 more games, but I like the way they've handled their business on and off the field.

Forget about Tre-Day being better than Gilmore (which he is), I think EJ Gaines is playing better that him, too.

That's the other thing about Beane and McD, it wasn't just about letting Gilmore go, it was about seeing the market on a wide scoped basis and deciding they could find an alternative replacement (not just Tre) and get value.....which they did in Draft currency Gaines.....

Not sure Dean.

I think a lot of it has to do with that he was a high draft pick during a regime that took power in the latter years of the current drought, claimed they were going to bring change, and never produced the results on the field.

The "he's always sucked" comments are rightly ignored; they have zero basis in fact; it's a purely emotional argument that cannot, in any way whatsoever, be supported by any real data.

As for yesterday, what a cluster NE's defense is looking like right now. I'm not a big Rodney Harrison fan (mostly because he's a proven cheater and nobody appears to care about that at all), but he's right when he says that there's clearly huge communication issues. I mean, just look at the Whittaker TD yesterday:

Gilmore is calling out a zone swap when McCaffrey goes in motion, McCourty looks to be calling for a man-pass to Gilmore (but he ends up following McCaffrey anyway), and Kyle Van Noy seems to think he's got the motion back in man coverage as well.

So I ask myself: how can 3 different guys think that 3 different things are going on in the same defense? Gilmore had a lousy game yesterday, but the above issues are systemic in nature.

Their TE Ed Dickson was wide open and I think could have easily scored on that play, but ended up as the final lead blocker for McCaffery.

I'm not going to sift through 10+ pages of a thread about an ex-Bill, but I'm curious as to what Gilmore's resident defenders have to say about his time so far in New England?

Unless you think everyone should go on record just for you... maybe you should look at the long thread

Show me then.

Oh, you can't. Probably because that hyperbole is ridiculous.

I could have told him that long ago.

Gilmore blows. Go away.

Inaugural,

I can appreciate that you don't want to stoop to others levels but I can't stand it when people try to make their point that they are right because they know you will act as the better person and not get drawn into it. I will not pretend to be such a person because frankly I don't think I am. So I will go ahead and prove your point and tell the comentor that you told to go away to read the following, where Kevin Duffy called Gilmore a Pro Bowl Corner for 2017 with Butler his teammate.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/06/malcolm_butler_stephon_gilmore_1.html

To jmc12290.... All i can say is grow the hell up. Just because someone chooses not to do something does not mean that they can't.

Edited by BigPappy

Wait, this is impossible......

He is a "shut down corner." Also, if Belichick gave him the big bucks, those who don't think Gilmore isn't s superstar don't know what they are talking about.

Remember?

As always, Bill, I hope you are doing well, but I'll ask that you drop the straw man argument.

I believe Gilmore is a very good corner (or at least was a very good corner during his time here), but what I (and many others) said over and over and over and over and over and over (etc.) is that "shut down corners" don't exist in the NFL.

I appreciate that you don't like the guy because he was a 1st round pick at a position other than OL ;) , but you are too good to continue to build a case against a position that nobody ever took.

Yes, it said an awful lot about Gilmore's play that Belichick decided to spend big $$ on him in FA. We're all hoping that it turns out to be the biggest FA flop ever committed; what's bad for them is good for us.

I hope he continues to get spun like a top week in and week out...that won't change a thing about the quality of his play during his career in Buffalo, which was very good.

Edited by thebandit27

Inaugural,

I can appreciate that you don't want to stoop to others levels but I can't stand it when people try to make their point that they are right because they know you will act as the better person and not get drawn into it. I will not pretend to be such a person because frankly I don't think I am. So I will go ahead and prove your point and tell the comentor that you told to go away to read the following, where Kevin Duffy called Gilmore a Pro Bowl Corner for 2017 with Butler his teammate.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/06/malcolm_butler_stephon_gilmore_1.html

To jmc12290.... All i can say is grow the hell up. Just because someone chooses not to do something does not mean that they can't.

That didn't say Gilmore was "the best corner ever."

That degree of hyperbole is sandbox level. Anyone who makes that kind of remark is the one who needs to step up their game.

As always, Bill, I hope you are doing well, but I'll ask that you drop the straw man argument.

I believe Gilmore is a very good corner (or at least was a very good corner during his time here), but what I (and many others) said over and over and over and over and over and over (etc.) is that "shut down corners" don't exist in the NFL.

I appreciate that you don't like the guy because he was a 1st round pick at a position other than OL ;) , but you are too good to continue to build a case against a position that nobody ever took.

Yes, it said an awful lot about Gilmore's play that Belichick decided to spend big $$ on him in FA. We're all hoping that it turns out to be the biggest FA flop ever committed; what's bad for them is good for us.

I hope he continues to get spun like a top week in and week out...that won't change a thing about the quality of his play during his career in Buffalo, which was very good.

Basically your take is that you were right all along about Gilmore, and it's just a coincidence that only now he looks as bad as people said he was? No one but you is going to buy that, no offense. He had a strong front 4 backing him up when he was here so he didn't have to do as much. Now he's in a zone scheme with a crappy front 4 and he's embarrassing himself on the field. It looks like all the criticisms people laid on Gilmore are true. He was not a "very good" corner. I'll say he did have one very good year when Jim Schwartz was here. But people put too much stock in one-year wonders like Gilmore and Watkins. Great players have consistency.