McDermott: Bills Need More Urgency from Dareus

26CornerBlitz

@AroundTheNFL

Bills coach Sean McDermott: 'At times' we see urgency needed from Marcell Dareus, @TomPelissero writes: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849593/article/sean-mcdermott-at-times-we-see-urgency-needed-from-dareus

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Big-money Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus has one assisted tackle through two games. He'll miss Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos because of an ankle injury. And with all the changes made by the Bills' new regime, Dareus' future here seems anything but certain.

Yet when I asked Bills coach Sean McDermott this week if he's feeling the urgency he wants from Dareus, McDermott's response was tepid.

"At times. I'm going to be very honest about it -- at times. At other times, not really," McDermott told me. "This bus is moving and at the end of this year, we're going to have a pretty good feel for who's on the bus and who's not, and everyone knows that, I would hope. So, I would hope they've seen that from the moves we've made and the direction we're heading, the mindset we're embracing and the devoted mindset you need to have to win in this league. We're going in a certain direction for a certain reason, and we play and do things with a purpose. People that have that common purpose and want to share that common purpose, they'll be here."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mcderm isn't lovin some MD99. But are there any good or reasonable options? I imagine it's a horrible cap hit, tough to trade a guy you've called out for effort, even if the contact was reasonable. So what can one do? Rip the band aid off, cut him for nada and suck up the cap hit. You know he's signing immediately after clearing waivers!!

@AroundTheNFL

Bills coach Sean McDermott: 'At times' we see urgency needed from Marcell Dareus, @TomPelissero writes: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849593/article/sean-mcdermott-at-times-we-see-urgency-needed-from-dareus

Weird. McD said he was happy with Dareus and our defense was playing well. I wonder if something happened....

Its only a matter of time at this point. DT is going to be a huge need once Dareus gets cut and Kyle retires.

If we are already not getting any production from Dareus and we ware still doing good, why will this become a huge need. I think Washington can step up.

If he's not doing jack there's already a hole. And getting rid of him wouldn't make the hole deeper.

I doubt even the two year major cap hits. Would stop Pegula, etc. from cutting "tokes" lazy lard butt. Now. Through two games a single assisted tackle? i suspect some highly motivated backup DTs can match that with ease.

We can draft Maurice Hurst #73 from Michigan to replace him. The Wolverines D this year is lights out.

As for Marcel, sure someone will pick him up but he will be the same player wherever he ends up. He is always out of shape and plays soft. Not worth big money anywhere he goes.

Yes good idea - let's keep shedding star players and using draft picks to replace them. Then if and when those draftees become good players, we can turn on them and replace them, too! What could go wrong?

you love to hate. good for you old timer

.....don't know 'em personally so I can't hate 'em bro.....but I sure as hell can be disgusted and disappointed with his lack of output......he's NOT my idea of "charitable funding"...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

We can draft Maurice Hurst #73 from Michigan to replace him. The Wolverines D this year is lights out.

As for Marcel, sure someone will pick him up but he will be the same player wherever he ends up. He is always out of shape and plays soft. Not worth big money anywhere he goes.

I think they will stick with Marcel for the remainder of the season.

After that, he's gone, despite the big cap hit.

Maybe Kyle can be convinced to stay one more season. Then the Bills will sign Star Lotuleilei, then draft someone like Christian Wilkins or Maurice Hurst.

Edited by Mark Vader

Its only a matter of time at this point. DT is going to be a huge need once Dareus gets cut and Kyle retires.

Dareus has reached the end of the rope. He has used up all excuses. His contract is the only reason he is here.

To your point, I think KW plays out 2018 and then retires. MD likely cut/traded (!!) Next year and Bills eat dead money. Next draft will be interesting due to some of these uncontrollable circumstances and self inflicted wounds (Watkins, Darby)

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Ive about had enough of him. Its always something. He can never play through an injury yet denvers Lt was on a cart last week and is gutting it out today. Tbh i dont think dareus even wants to be here anymore either. I expect him to keep pressing mcds buttons in small ways the rest of the year to force his way out. He knows that even if hes released, somebody is going to pay him

Edited by BillsSbSoon

mcderm isn't lovin some MD99. But are there any good or reasonable options? I imagine it's a horrible cap hit, tough to trade a guy you've called out for effort, even if the contact was reasonable. So what can one do? Rip the band aid off, cut him for nada and suck up the cap hit. You know he's signing immediately after clearing waivers!!

He's a vet there are no waivers for him.

Yes good idea - let's keep shedding star players and using draft picks to replace them. Then if and when those draftees become good players, we can turn on them and replace them, too! What could go wrong?

They aren't good players if they collect their check and only give half effort.

@AroundTheNFL

You dont say. There have been a few myself included calling this for a while.

Harping on it once again...

2006 - McCargo and Williams

2007 - No DT

2007 - No DT

2008 - No DT

2009 - No DT

2010 - Troup, Carrington

2011 - Dareus, Jasper

2012 - No DT

2013 - No DT

2014 - No DT

2015 - No DT

2016 - Washington

2017 - No DT

No DT selected in 9 of the past 14 drafts.