Does This Time Feel Different?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing game was pretty pedestrian. Not going to cut it in today's NFL to compete for a playoff spot.

Most parts of yesterday feel different to me. Except for the passing game. The ball doesn't come out on time, there is absolutely no rhythm, and most of the good results come from ad hockery - scramble, broken play, etc. It is not a sustainable way to run an offense. Tyrod seems to be a hard worker and a really good guy, but I can't help but wonder if peterman is a better fit even as of today.

I'm just wondering why some just don't enjoy the win, why does it have to be a positive or a negative after? We won so I'm happy, were on top of the division and I expect this team to be very competitive against the HC and GM's former team, I'm not expecting a win but it would probably start the talk of being able to hang with the better teams talk, for me at least.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

after one game, no. i need to see what happens with the first quarter of the season at least.

Exactly.

Lots to factor into yesterday's game.

Looking around the league, there was lots of rust. Who knows? Maybe TT will get better as the season progresses.

We played a very, very bad team whose coach was either trying like hell to lose the game, or has no business being a HC.

I think 1/4 of the season is a decent snapshot; especially with the first four opponents. Yesterday, the Bills won a game they were supposed to win and looked decent against a team they should have looked decent against.

The next three opponents will tell us a lot, I believe. About Tyrod, as well as the offense and defense as whole units.

The only thing I took away from yesterday's game was that they won a game they were supposed to.

https://youtu.be/Vb-izK5D3Qo

Not to make this a Tyrod thread, but i continually see people bringing up his passing shortcomings, which I agree that he has. I rarely see it mentioned that he does make plays like this which maybe 2-3 other QB's in the league can make.

Edited by Southern Bills Fan

We have had head fakes before. Trentative and Fitz off to fast starts. JP deep balls.

This time feels different to me. We looked like an organized, professional football club. 50 yards in penalties? Rex teams could have that in one drive. It seems the guys want to play for each other - the early stirrings of a real "team" approach.

Time will tell, but it really feels to me like we are on the right track. I am sure there will be setbacks, but I like the direction we seem to be headed in. Team plays hard. Pretty amazing.

Its one week...and against an expected weak team. I very much liked what I saw from both sides of the ball, however, given the level of opponent its hard to put much stock in it yet because we did exactly what we were expected to do. Score wasn't even as close as it suggested given Clay cost us 7 and we shanked a FG again.

Next week will give us a better gauge. If we are any good, we can definitely beat Carolina who quite honestly looked underwhelming against SF. This is a winnable game to me, and one I would expect us to win if week 1 isn't a mirage. Not saying they are a push over, but I think Carolina is a mid range team, so if we are truly a team capable of making the playoffs, then we need to beat the Carolina's of the NFL.

Most parts of yesterday feel different to me. Except for the passing game. The ball doesn't come out on time, there is absolutely no rhythm, and most of the good results come from ad hockery - scramble, broken play, etc. It is not a sustainable way to run an offense. Tyrod seems to be a hard worker and a really good guy, but I can't help but wonder if peterman is a better fit even as of today.

Why isn't it sustainable? They have been top 10 scoring and DVOA for the last 2 years!!! It may not be conventional but it has been effective (and sustainable). Edited by Kirby Jackson

Im completely indifferent at the point. The koolaid crowd might think the Jets are better than everyone thinks but I dont and fact is that they were in striking difference at the end of the third. Its a long season. I think well know by the midpoint of the season. This looks like a 7-9 win season at this point.

Head fakes, oh yeah. I admit it, I bought in during the Fitzmagic 4-5 game run, the win against the PAts was the best since the Super Bowl era and we all know how that worked out.

At least I never bought a Fitzmagic T-shirt or thought calling the WRs "the goon squad" was cool or creative.

Need more games before I will feel this is anything more than a sub par to mediocre team.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

It always feels good to win, but lets wait a few more weeks before we make definitive statements. The only definitive conclusion I can come to, this is a much better level of coaching than we had under the Ryan clowns. I am still not 100% sure that we are a more talented team...I want to see a little more. The first 7 games of the season are pretty tough...

After next year's 6-7 draft picks in the first 3 rounds and all the cap money we will have to reshape this roster in McD/Beane's vision of this team, then you will see a more talented team.

Here is what can be concluded from this game:

- team played disciplined and fundamentally well. A change from Rex for sure. Credit to the coach

- defense looks solid especially against the run

- run offense looks as good as last year

- passing game was meh. I don't see where Taylor's game had taken a step forward. He is waiting for receivers to have significant separation. Struggled some over the middle. I could not help thinking Peterman would have thrown for 300+ yards. I will bet opposing team will average over 300 yards passing against the Jets for rest of season.

Just don't understand this assessment of Taylors game yesterday. He spread the ball around, found guys over the middle, made plays with his legs when needed. took care of the ball and threw it away when needed. Wasn't a perfect game, but it was an encouraging start to see the offense move the ball consistently and get so many people involved all over the field.

Most Importantly: It still astonishes me how little people even acknowledge this is still a new playbook, new system, and new coaches and lost out some important time in camp with the concussion. Most importantly, its a completely new roster of WR's he is throwing to, and has very little time and experience with his 2 starters, especially Jordan due to injuries. I think considering all of that, it was quite an encouraging start and if Clay didn't let a pass go off his hands in the Endzone, TT would have a really good stat line instead of a solid one. Lets also not forget for the stat police that McD went conservative and safe once there was a 2 score lead give how good the D was also playing.

Next week will be a better gauge...if this team is going to truly be a team that can challenge for a playoff spot, then it needs to beat teams like Carolina who IMO are a mid range team. Way too early to get excited about what we saw yesterday and I am still skeptical about what this team is, however, I will say both sides of the ball played well and have a lot to build on.

https://youtu.be/Vb-izK5D3Qo

Not to make this a Tyrod thread, but i continually see people bringing up his passing shortcomings, which I agree that he has. I rarely see it mentioned that he does make plays like this which maybe 2-3 other QB's in the league can make.

I would agree with this assessment Tyrod makes plays with his feet that other QB's just can't. My only concern with Tyrod is consistency on the deep ball, it seems he was very good at the beginning of his Bills career but since last season it seems to have no touch on the deep ball. I think his longest pass yesterday covered 12 yards in the Air and i know he badly overshot his receiver on one deep ball yesterday.

I would agree with this assessment Tyrod makes plays with his feet that other QB's just can't. My only concern with Tyrod is consistency on the deep ball, it seems he was very good at the beginning of his Bills career but since last season it seems to have no touch on the deep ball. I think his longest pass yesterday covered 12 yards in the Air and i know he badly overshot his receiver on one deep ball yesterday.

Keep in mind, that first year he had a healthy Sammy for the final 9 games and they were in sync. People really forget just how good of a player Sammy is and how much that helps a QB trust and throw to them, especially deep. Last year, we had no deep threats, in all but 2 of Sammys game he was just a ghost of himself. This year, he has no timing with his new group of WRs yet. He has had to learn a new offense and also learn the timing of new WR's, and he has had practically no time with Jordan.

I would expect that his comfort and timing with ZJ, Jordan, and Holmes grows as well as his confidence and comfort in the new system, so will the downfield passing game.

not different

This team, through most of the drought, has actually normally been able to 'take care of business' against the worst teams in the league.

It is nice they won, did the job at hand and all, but this was the 5th preseason game. It is tough to really make any assessments after that. It is unfair to the team in a way because it was almost a no-win situation in the public opinion.\\\\

What if, though?

What if they beat Carolina? Even if it is ugly, what then?

Coming home at 2-0?

Then we get to see how good McD really is. Can they stay focused? Will the intensity needed to sustain the win streak be there? What happens when they do lose one? Problems we haven't had for a long time.

Regardless of the caliber of opponent what is remarkable and a tribute to the coaching staff is not only was the defensive backfield completely changed but also the system changed to a zone system. This unit played cohesively and smartly. There was no confusion and broken assignments, as far as I could tell. The defense has been simplified and the players on the field know their assignments. If you watched the coaches on the sidelines there was little histrionics and more communicating with the players. The difference between a disciplined coach and an undisciplined coach is stark. While Rex tried to show how smart he was McDermott tried to put the players in the best position to succeed.

Tyrod still looks deficient in the passing game to me, but it's one game.

If that game demonstrates all the Bills' offense has to offer, they won't win more than 5 games.

Brees and Rivers still have to play, of course, but as of today Tyrod is:

14th in Pass Yards

5th in YPA

10th in total Yards

7th in YPT

6th in TD%

8th in Passer Rating

I might consider changing my expectations a bit, if I were you.

And yeah, this should probably be in one of the Tyrod threads instead. My bad.

Brees and Rivers still have to play, of course, but as of today Tyrod is:

14th in Pass Yards

5th in YPA

10th in total Yards

7th in YPT

6th in TD%

8th in Passer Rating

I might consider changing my expectations a bit, if I were you.

And yeah, this should probably be in one of the Tyrod threads instead. My bad.

This is after one game, against the team that will probably have the 1st overall pick in 2018... Put down the Kool-Aid.

Edited by T-Bomb

1) Tackling was rock solid and multiple players right there every time! Players were wrapping up and not trying to deliver a shoulder death blow. I only recall 1 obvious missed tackle but there were 3 players right there to stop a large gain.

2) They did not find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. Instead they had 2 ints!

Different? Yes very!

We couldn't comfortably beat one of the worst rosters of the past decade. I'm happy we won but so far thoroughly unimpressed.

If we beat Carolina on the road next week I'll be a lot more optimistic, however.

We beat them handily in nearly every facet of the game. A tipped pass in the EZ that turned into a pick and a missed FG are the reasons the score was remotely close.

Yards: 408-214

1st Downs: 23-11

ToP: 33-27

Yards per Play: 5.7-3.9

3rd Down %: 47.1-28.6

we seemed like a very professional team yesterday- and I'm not saying that because it was a W. We were composed, we executed a run heavy game plan and played great D. For the first time in a long time I feel great about our direction. I honestly think we beat the panthers as well this week

we seemed like a very professional team yesterday- and I'm not saying that because it was a W. We were composed, we executed a run heavy game plan and played great D. For the first time in a long time I feel great about our direction. I honestly think we beat the panthers as well this week

good answer

I've been in a freefall since Tuel gave up the probable winning score against the Chiefs with a pick-6 from the KC 2 about 4 years ago?

It was just the Jets so overall not really. Need to see some more games play out. You did touch on some things I agree with though. The team seemed much more composed than it did under Rex. Other than Incognito still getting stupid holding calls, there werent any really bad penalties.

Also this team seemed to play more as a team instead of a couple individual stars. I think everyone contributed to this win. Thats a good thing.

Watched the Incognito holding calls and thought they were garbage calls. If you get a chance take another look at those.

Regardless of the caliber of opponent what is remarkable and a tribute to the coaching staff is not only was the defensive backfield completely changed but also the system changed to a zone system. This unit played cohesively and smartly. There was no confusion and broken assignments, as far as I could tell. The defense has been simplified and the players on the field know their assignments. If you watched the coaches on the sidelines there was little histrionics and more communicating with the players. The difference between a disciplined coach and an undisciplined coach is stark. While Rex tried to show how smart he was McDermott tried to put the players in the best position to succeed.

Great post.

I recall so many broken assignments last year with the inevitable finger pointing, i would mention a few names but no point in starting that up.

I won't make any judgments based upon one game, but it DOES feel different to me in the big picture. The new front office, the vision and plan seem more solid than anything we've seen recently. I have absolutely nothing I can point to to back this up, but it's how I feel. Maybe that's just my coping mechanism kicking in....

One game that was against a team in full on tank mode. You should have a better feel after they play a real team this weekend.

Not a scrap of truth in this statement. No team, ever, anywhere, on any level of competition has or will ever be in 'tank mode' in their first game. The Jets were fighting to prove all the tank garbage wrong. Somewhere down the line they may accept their fate if nothing goes right, but none of these players are laying down week 1. Shoot, we may have just played the Jets in the most motivated and finest form they'll be all year.