Does This Time Feel Different?

I feel pretty confident that this coaching staff won't make stupid mistakes like the previous one, and this team will be prepared to play every week--they won't beat themselves. It remains to be seen how far the talent can take them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that even before the Jets game I felt that the new regime was being given all the tools that it needed to be successful. A new GM and coach were brought in and they were allowed to clear house. They amassed a stockpile of draft picks while still keeping the team competitive for the upcoming season. They got rid of a lot of the old regimes players while keeping the vets that are highly productive and bought in.

So in philsophy the new regime is doing what it should be doing. Gutting the old and building a new team and culture. All with a clear vision in mind. Does this mean it will work? No it could fail. But at least the ownership is setting up the new regime for success with the freedom and decisions the team is making overall.

Yeah don't put it on a pedestal

:worthy:

I liked that the team didn't take dumb penalties and the amount of gang tackles was nice.

I didn't like that they went into a run run pass shell. I would have liked to see a little more foot on the throat.

Wait and see wait and see

I too think we can beat beat the Panthers. They didn't make the playoffs either last year. Coach McDermott will want to win this REAL BAD. AND he has inside info.

I hope we do.

Rex would make McDermott a captain!!! :)

(How childish is that?)

We have had head fakes before. Trentative and Fitz off to fast starts. JP deep balls.

This time feels different to me. We looked like an organized, professional football club. 50 yards in penalties? Rex teams could have that in one drive. It seems the guys want to play for each other - the early stirrings of a real "team" approach.

Time will tell, but it really feels to me like we are on the right track. I am sure there will be setbacks, but I like the direction we seem to be headed in. Team plays hard. Pretty amazing.

You trying to jinx us?

Passing game was pretty pedestrian. Not going to cut it in today's NFL to compete for a playoff spot.

Tyrod put up 224 yards at 8.0 yards per attempt. Pedestrian? Maybe. Then again, Russell Wilson has put up 226.5 yards per game in his career at 8.0 yards per attempt. And that kind of performance was good enough to get his team into the SB twice.

We currently have the #2 offense in the NFL. Oh, and we won.

I'm not sure how that's not competitive.

Fans proclaimed him The Messiah, I saw 234 segments on how he BBQ's for the neighbourhood and his reading list of good books was all over the internet.

Not all fans.

Rex would make McDermott a captain!!! :)

(How childish is that?)

Will he get carried off the field like Schwartz?

We were 5-2 with Fitz one year then we went 1-8 I believe.

So you are going to what, wait until we are in a superbowl to say this team looks decent? I get people not being very optimistic about beating the Jets but bringing up the past about losing after going 5-2 is a little pessimistic.

Passing game was pretty pedestrian. Not going to cut it in today's NFL to compete for a playoff spot.

I would say seeing as Tyrod was out for a week or so with the concussion they didn't want him just to go out & start winging it every which way just to see if he can . Not to mention that it was the first time Mathews & Tyrod were together in live action .

I think it is good to start against a team that isn't suppose to have a good year & get into a rhythm on the offensive side of the ball seeing as the preseason wasn't all that productive .

Let shady go & get the guys to follow & remember how they were doing it last year & most of all keep every one healthy !!

Yes, in small ways. There was actually discipline again and minimal mistakes. I was actually watching the game and NOT expecting Buffalo to blow it. My biggest positive take away is that much of the lack of discipline and communication that Rex added to this team is gone. This gives Buffalo a good chance to win some games even with less talent.

Am I thinking playoffs? No, not yet. Too many disappointments in the past 6 years, too tough of a schedule. Buffalo did what they were supposed to do in a home game against a bad team. It is a nice start. . Week 2 to 7 is a schedule that would give any team trouble. The second half doesn't let up either with two Games against New England and one at Kansas City. If Buffalo can go 3-3 in the next six weeks and than beat the Jets in Week 8, I will start to have a little hope for playoffs.

Edited by dgrochester55

We have had head fakes before. Trentative and Fitz off to fast starts. JP deep balls.

This time feels different to me. We looked like an organized, professional football club. 50 yards in penalties? Rex teams could have that in one drive. It seems the guys want to play for each other - the early stirrings of a real "team" approach.

Time will tell, but it really feels to me like we are on the right track. I am sure there will be setbacks, but I like the direction we seem to be headed in. Team plays hard. Pretty amazing.

No, it doesn't "feel different". It feels like exactly what it was: an opening day win over a hapless Jests squad that didn't even put up much of a fight given that it was a divisional game. We learned nothing about the quality of the Bills from that game because the Jests seemed disinterested in winning.

Not to make this a Tyrod thread, but i continually see people bringing up his passing shortcomings, which I agree that he has. I rarely see it mentioned that he does make plays like this which maybe 2-3 other QB's in the league can make.

Because it ruins the narrative.

You place way too much weight on "ratings".

Because it ruins the narrative. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Even if we were to somehow start 5-1 or 4-0 it would be no different than 2008/2011 unless we sustain it over the course of a 16 game season and actually make the playoffs.

Remember this team dominated the Colts in week one of 2015 in Rex Ryan's first game and everybody thought we were a lock for the playoffs because the Colts were a playoff team with a franchise QB.

Beating the Jets with Josh McNown is a far cry from that and we didn't really dominate them.

We beat a bad team that is in the race for the first pick in the draft and we didn't crush them. That said, I am cautiously optimistic that this team is headed in the right direction - didn't fold when things went against us and actually finished the game well. I don't think we have the talent to make it to the playoffs, but I do think we are developing a core group of solid players who can actually hold together a locker room and grow into being a good team. Best case scenario for this year is Tyrod develops into a franchise QB and we can use all our high rd draft picks next year to draft the skills position/lb/dl talent core we need; add them to a solid group of veterans and make it to the playoffs next year. Worst case - Tyrod treads water and we trade half our picks to move up in the draft and draft a franchise QB and we're 2 years away from the playoffs. Either way, arrow is pointing up.

I was super encouraged by the rush defense and I'm very happy that Poyer looks like a great pick up. Humber played really well too. Next week will tell just how solid that D is though, because the Panthers have a ton of weapons.

Edited by ndirish1978

We beat a bad team that is in the race for the first pick in the draft and we didn't crush them. That said, I am cautiously optimistic that this team is headed in the right direction - didn't fold when things went against us and actually finished the game well. I don't think we have the talent to make it to the playoffs, but I do think we are developing a core group of solid players who can actually hold together a locker room and grow into being a good team. Best case scenario for this year is Tyrod develops into a franchise QB and we can use all our high rd draft picks next year to draft the skills position/lb/dl talent core we need; add them to a solid group of veterans and make it to the playoffs next year. Worst case - Tyrod treads water and we trade half our picks to move up in the draft and draft a franchise QB and we're 2 years away from the playoffs. Either way, arrow is pointing up.

We really did crush them, though. Unfortunately 2 bad breaks made the score look close. Look at any statistic you want from that game and we essentially dominated them.

Even if we were to somehow start 5-1 or 4-0 it would be no different than 2008/2011 unless we sustain it over the course of a 16 game season and actually make the playoffs.

Remember this team dominated the Colts in week one of 2015 in Rex Ryan's first game and everybody thought we were a lock for the playoffs because the Colts were a playoff team with a franchise QB.

Beating the Jets with Josh McNown is a far cry from that and we didn't really dominate them.

Yes, we did.

We just didn't score as many points as we should have. First drive should have gotten a field goal at the least, and then there was the missed field goal later.

One thing I was disappointed in was that when it was later in the 4th quarter with the Bills up by 9, and we just played passively. I would have liked to have seen a more killer instinct, and an attempt to put the game out of reach.

The Bills could have done that. Remember after the Jets scored their touchdown, the Bills came right back on the next drive and got a touchdown of their own.

We really did crush them, though. Unfortunately 2 bad breaks made the score look close. Look at any statistic you want from that game and we essentially dominated them.

Yes, we did.

We just didn't score as many points as we should have. First drive should have gotten a field goal at the least, and then there was the missed field goal later.

One thing I was disappointed in was that when it was later in the 4th quarter with the Bills up by 9, and we just played passively. I would have liked to have seen a more killer instinct, and an attempt to put the game out of reach.

The Bills could have done that. Remember after the Jets scored their touchdown, the Bills came right back on the next drive and got a touchdown of their own.

I understand both of your points, but crushing a team has to be reflected in the score. We have all too often played well enough to win games only to lose the plot at key moments. I am encouraged that we weren't ever really threatened by them, but to crush a team I think you need to slam the door shut and we didn't do that.

If they are 5-1 i will eat it up again.

They are 1-0, at home, beating supposedly the worst NFL team of the past 5-10 seasons.

Let's also remember that this "supposedly worst NFL team of the past 5-10 seasons", beat the Bills TWICE, last season.

This past Sunday was a step in the right direction.

I have more hope for this coaching staff in general than in years past. I actually believe they have legit plan to win games and build a roster.

Its not just about big headlines or selling tickets. Its about building the team. It may work, it may not but for the first time in a while it seems like they have a plan.

Sunday went exactly how it should have. The game was never in doubt against a bad team. If they go into Carolina and win, I'll feel much different and like this might actually be legit

Yes, we did.

I simply don't agree. And that's another point, the Bills chose to be content towards the end and sat on their 9 point lead which is similar to what happened to the Raiders last year after they came back from a double digit deficit and still beat us handily. Obviously the Jets weren't the Raiders but if we continue to play that way it will come back to haunt us should we be in position to beat a much better team.You need a killer instinct in the NFL and we certainly didn't have that against the Jets.

And speaking of the Raiders, since they play the Jets at home this week that will be another good gauge compared to what we did to the Jets. Because if the Jets are also competitive against them for most of the game that might just mean the Bills are a good team and the Jets aren't as bad as most think. But I tend to believe the Raiders are going to destroy them and the game will be over by mid 2nd quarter at the latest which will also be telling depending on what happens with us against the Panthers.

I had no problem with the strategy. The problem was that it didn't work. If we are to be the kind of run team we want to be, we have to better in the 4:00 offense. Was thinking we may have been better to give Tolbert some up the middle runs there.

I understand both of your points, but crushing a team has to be reflected in the score. We have all too often played well enough to win games only to lose the plot at key moments. I am encouraged that we weren't ever really threatened by them, but to crush a team I think you need to slam the door shut and we didn't do that.

We won, but it wasn't pretty enough. A blow out counts as much in the win column as a 1 point squeeker, as we well know.

And speaking of the Raiders, since they play the Jets at home this week that will be another good gauge compared to what we did to the Jets. Because if the Jets are also competitive against them for most of the game that might just mean the Bills are a good team and the Jets aren't as bad as most think. But I tend to believe the Raiders are going to destroy them and the game will be over by mid 2nd quarter at the latest which will also be telling depending on what happens with us against the Panthers.

Classic football logic. If team A beats team B and team B beats team C, then team A > team C.

We won, but it wasn't pretty enough. A blow out counts as much in the win column as a 1 point squeeker, as we well know.

It's more than that, we are trying to project for the rest of the season and learned nothing useful from that win.