Anquan Boldin Signs 1 Year Deal with the Bills Pg45

He may be wanting something the Bills will not guarantee like guaranteeing that he would be starter.

it would be better for Bills to have an incentive based contract and I do not think he will take a minimum veteran contract; he was probably asking more than Bills were willing to give including signing bonus, etc.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much went on today from reports -- UB Ortho, Visit to New Era Factory, for this not be real. I think he went home to pack and get to Rochester...

(Just trying to add some positive thoughts to the normal -- he left forever reality...)

Why is everyone freaking out over a guy who is 36? Would he be a nice addition even at his age sure but its not the end of the world if he doesnt sign here. Besides everything ive seen before hos visit suggested that he is expected to decide in about a week from now. I fully expect him to think about his options after the visit. I dont think this is the type of player who will come in and sign on his visit.

Also whose to say we even want him that bad? We still have Jones and Holmes and could just be looking at a potential option.

Title says he left Buffalo while the report says he left OBD. Which one is it? Two completely different things. Could be a 2 day visit?

Not a fan of trade ups in general, I'd rather let the draft fall to me. And I am 100% sure McDermott was calling the shots using Carolina's draft board.

But let's see what happens, Boldin hasn't even been counted out yet. I feel that with letting Gillislee go and the cap space we have there is no reason not to try and add some important veteran depth to our offense. I understand not wanting to go cap crazy like Whaley did, but we're starting to pull too hard in the other direction IMO.

I'm not that big on trade ups either.

Having said that, I like the two players we drafted which resulted from those trade ups.

Just like he did Reggie Bush. I love how posters are flaming the new GM for taking a look at Boldin and not overwhelming a 37? year old receiver with anything more than the veteran minimum. Let's at least see Boldin make another roster this season before everyone hammers Beaner.

Boldin made 3 million last year and was very productive. Why do you believe he would play for the minimum?

Too much went on today from reports -- UB Ortho, Visit to New Era Factory, for this not be real. I think he went home to pack and get to Rochester...

(Just trying to add some positive thoughts to the normal -- he left forever reality...)

Sounds to me like the Bills did what they could to get him to (want to) sign in Buffalo (without maybe the "offering to overpay an almost 37yr old player to entice him into signing" part).

It's most likely on Boldin now. If he want to be here, great. But I don't want them to overpay just to get him here.

I like that they even brought him in. They seen a guy who has been sitting on the market all offseason that could add value to the Bills offense and probably tried to take advantage of it by trying to sign him to a team friendly deal. That's a smart move IMO.

Also, The Bills may not have given their absolute best offer yet though, just in case Boldin was trying to use the Bills to shop their offer around. So maybe they still make one final offer before he signs somewhere.

Veteran minimum plus incentives perhaps as a beginning for negotiation just like a Beane counter would? With no other offers out there who knows if he'd consider something like that.

No other offers? Are you sure about that? I think he was likely to go back to the Lions and was just leveraging on this visit.

This is a must sign if you want to win now. 68 catches for 600 yards and 8 TD's makes him the best receiver we had last year. Easy give him a incentive laden contract with a good signing bonus. This is not Reggie Miller

Damn straight he's no Reggie Miller. Surely though he would be a better football player for us than Reggie Bush was right?

:lol:

No other offers? Are you sure about that? I think he was likely to go back to the Lions and was just leveraging on this visit.

I don't believe he has anything else out there and he had previously stated he wanted to play for a team close to his home in FLA.

Won't be surprised if he signs today or tomorrow. Miss the first couple days of camp. No hurry. Doesn't need the reps just some chemistry with TT.

Chemistry. This has to be one of the most over-hyped details on player relationships, especially in a west coast passing offense

Beane is going to have to learn that it takes a premium to attract FAs to Buffalo

I don't believe this for a second. The Pegulas have a very good reputation already (despite the team's overall lack of success).

Sorry, maybe it's in here somewhere. Did Bolden actually leave Buffalo?

If he doesn't sign somewhere in the next day or two, I suspect he sits out until a good team has an injury to a key receiver, either in preseason or early in the regular s

Sorry, maybe it's in here somewhere. Did Bolden actually leave Buffalo?If he doesn't sign somewhere in the next day or two, I suspect he sits out until a good team has an injury to a key receiver, either in preseason or early in the regular s

I've seen reports stating that he left Buffalo, and others that say he left OBD, so I'm not sure which is the case. But there was a report this morning that says nothing is imminent, and that the Bills are "leaving the door open"...

With all due respect. I dont see any mods stopping you from posting your "opinion"

Lets stick with the truth sir

I am just poking fun John. although, you must admit that some posters take it way over-the-top when you disagree with their opinions....

I've seen reports stating that he left Buffalo, and others that say he left OBD, so I'm not sure which is the case. But there was a report this morning that says nothing is imminent, and that the Bills are "leaving the door open"...

Thanks. Leaving the door open suggests they're done talking for now. That almost always results in the guy signing elsewhere.

Bolden probably is looking for a relatively big final payday. Maclin and now Bolden suggests the new regime has a serious discipline about spending, which would be consistent with building through the draft. Bills could afford Bolden, but it seems they just won't overpay.

Thanks. Leaving the door open suggests they're done talking for now. That almost always results in the guy signing elsewhere.

Bolden probably is looking for a relatively big final payday. Maclin and now Bolden suggests the new regime has a serious discipline about spending, which would be consistent with building through the draft. Bills could afford Bolden, but it seems they just won't overpay.

Normally I would agree with this post and the don't overpay approach. However on a one year deal - to overspend by 1-2 mil shouldn't be the reason not to sign a vet if the need is big enough. My hunch is the conversation is about what role does each side foresee and does that role help or delay Zay Jones.

When you're dealing with a vet on a one year deal - the team knows what kind of salary he's expecting long before he comes in to visit. I can't imagine a scenario where the Bills were thinking 2.5 mil and he wants 7 - then both sides say "holy crap, we're not doing that" - then the player leaves.

Edited by Triple Threat

They have been, no doubt. I'm saying that a guy in his late 30's isn't viewing a team that won 4 games and then 5 games as his chance for a ring (regardless of how good they were 5-10 years ago). The same goes for Baltimore and the Bills. The Chargers have been a much better organization than the Raiders, for example, over the last 15 years but the Raiders would give Boldin a better shot at a championship. 2017 is all that matters in this equation. At the moment Baltimore, Buffalo and the Chargers are in the same boat.

i think the Ravens are going to be awful this year

i think the Ravens are going to be awful this year

Why? I like them this year but just heard that Dixon tore up his knee again so that dampers my expectations a bit. I'd guess Buck Allen takes most of the early season work while Dixon is suspended/rehabbing. Solid D, Vet QB, a few weapons outside and a proven HC.

I think he will sign with us.

No rush to have him sign before camp.

He doesnt have any other visits lining up.

Then again, he could also be waiting for training camp and for injuries to happen then he may be more in demand and have a better selection

CBF

I think he will sign with us.

No rush to have him sign before camp.

He doesnt have any other visits lining up.

Then again, he could also be waiting for training camp and for injuries to happen then he may be more in demand and have a better selection

CBF

I think he may still sign with us also. I'd guess that they had a conversation about what role they'd like him to play and he may be thinking about where he feels he fits in to what the Bills had to say. Then he's probably thinking about whether he'd like to take that opportunity or wait for another.

I heard on the WGR an interview with a Detroit guy that stated he played 100% from the slot. So to me it comes down to do the Bills think Zay can learn enough and get enough playing time at the same spot they may foresee Zay getting time at - slot. I'm not saying Zay won't be an outside guy but I'm thinking Holmes or Streater will win the outside spot this year - then they'd like to work Zay in at slot.

I'm sure that's what Boldin's questions where. Where do you see me in the offense?