GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Defense was bad. As was Tyrod and the offense. Both can be true.

Defense was a lot worse; Taylor was OK (that is, not bad) in a bad situation. He didn't dominate or carry to the team to victory in an adverse situation; that I'll agree to. Otherwise, that's my view and I'm sticking with it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense was a lot worse; Taylor was OK (that is, not bad) in a bad situation. He didn't dominate or carry to the team to victory in an adverse situation; that I'll agree to. Otherwise, that's my view and I'm sticking with it.

Ok. No wish to delve into TT here, back to our regularly scheduled thread!

Anybody watch PTI? They did a segment called "what are the bills doing?" But the place I was at didn't have the sound on. Wondering what they said.

They blasted the Pegulas, called Terry a new owner trying to come in guns a blazing. It was an awful segment and you missed nothing.

Off the top of my head I remember Pittsburgh daring us to throw and Tyrod not able to do anything but get one TD where the defense didn't give us the ball near the end zone. Then in garbage time he got some more yards and another score.

Another game where the stats lie.

I love this post. Not because its good, but because of the irony and arrogance of it.

You literally open the post with "Off the top of my head", meaning you didn't actually do any research on the matter...then go on to site that the "stats" lie. So your opinion based on something you may or may not be remembering correctly because you did not actually research anything you wrote and just spit balled off the top of your head, is now somehow more valid and accurate than factual stats about the game?

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

It's not just one game; it's the last three games he played in. In all of them, he had a rating of 100+. He wasn't perfect in all of them, but no one is perfect. The trajectory points upward, but maybe it's just random statistical noise because of weak competition. We'll know for sure once the 2017 season is underway. At the end of the day, his lifetime QBR with Buffalo is 94.2.

I think your best bet is to evaluate the entire body of work and not just a specific sampling of games because it reaches the conclusion you're looking for.

Anybody watch PTI?

Good luck finding someone to admit that.

My question is: Do you think Whaley was informed prior to the draft that he would be released after the draft? Or do you think Whaley went in to draft thinking that a homerun draft could possibly save his job?

Oh, i think Whaley knew that the executioner was a-knocking.

Anybody watch PTI? They did a segment called "what are the bills doing?" But the place I was at didn't have the sound on. Wondering what they said.

@salsports

The commentary on Bills just now on @PTI may have shown the most gross ignorance of who Terry Pegula is than anything I've heard/read yet.

"You know how these (new owners) are, going in guns-a-blazing to show you how they know everything." That's embarrassing.

Feel free to think he's made mistakes. Or in over his head. But that take right there is ignorant.

@salsports

The commentary on Bills just now on @PTI may have shown the most gross ignorance of who Terry Pegula is than anything I've heard/read yet.

"You know how these (new owners) are, going in guns-a-blazing to show you how they know everything." That's embarrassing.

Feel free to think he's made mistakes. Or in over his head. But that take right there is ignorant.

I didn't hear the PTI thingy. But the words you quote are simply a colorful version of what you wrote right after that Edited by Fan in Chicago

I think your best bet is to evaluate the entire body of work and not just a specific sampling of games because it reaches the conclusion you're looking for.

I generally agree, but if their is a distinct trajectory of improvement in the most recent games, that's worth noting too.

They blasted the Pegulas, called Terry a new owner trying to come in guns a blazing. It was an awful segment and you missed nothing.

They read the script Bob Kraft sent....just like they always do....drunkard is not off the Toronto idea yet.

I think Doug Whaley's assessment that the Bills QB situation needed to be improved will be shown as correct.

It will.

Edit: maybe they stumbled across something with Peterman. Who knows? But if their plan for 2017 is Tyord they better plan on taking a shot in 2018.

Edited by GunnerBill

It will.

Edit: maybe they stumbled across something with Peterman. Who knows? But if their plan for 2017 is Tyord they better plan on taking a shot in 2018.

They're definitely ready to take a shot next year. They collected an extra 1st for a reason. IMO the Chiefs didn't improve much this offseason, and they have a tough schedule, so I expect their pick to be in the mid-range, around 16 or so. If Tyrod shows he's not the answer we won't win all that many games anyways, maybe pick around 10 or so. We could trade the farm - 3 1sts in 2018 and 2019 along with multiple other lower round picks - to move up and select one of the top QBs. It's supposed to be a great draft year for QBs. And they took Peterman this year, and still have Cardale. We are fine at QB for now. Even if Tyrod fails we have plenty to fall back on. At least the Bills are finally taking QBs every year and gaining 1st round picks instead of trading them away. The more competition the better until someone steps up. Edited by HappyDays

Cleveland, Jets, SF, Pittsburgh, Cardinals, just off the top of my head, lots of teams will be jockeying to get one of the 2018 class. Cleveland has two ones and three twos. Jets and 49ers will not trade out. No guarantee OBD will end up with a chair when the music stops. Mahomes and Watson were birds-in-hand. I consider them potential franchise qbs. I would have taken Mahomes at ten. Unless the Bills are worse than their habitual "wretched mediocrity" it will cost them much more than the first and third they gained by trading out of ten.

Peterman would have gone much earlier if he had a decent arm. He doesn't and I doubt his ceiling rises above okay backup.

P.S. Forgot about the Chargers. Nice avatar. I somehow acquired a feral colony about ten years ago.

I myself am servant to an ancient Persian.

Only the Bills and Browns have 2 1st rounders next year and the Browns just took Kizer, who could play well enough to warrant a look beyond this year. Absent SF picking first, we should be in a good position to move up to pick the best QB available next year. Pitt, AZ, Jets are not going to lose enough games to be a top 2 pick.

Only the Bills and Browns have 2 1st rounders next year and the Browns just took Kizer, who could play well enough to warrant a look beyond this year. Absent SF picking first, we should be in a good position to move up to pick the best QB available next year. Pitt, AZ, Jets are not going to lose enough games to be a top 2 pick.

I think the Jets could be the worst team in the league. Apart from their D-line they are bad or old everywhere. They are absolutely in play for next year's #1 pick. The 49ers will be drafting top 5 too.

This idea the extra 1st makes a trade up to get the best or 2nd best QB a slam dunk is wishful at best.

I think the Jets could be the worst team in the league. Apart from their D-line they are bad or old everywhere. They are absolutely in play for next year's #1 pick. The 49ers will be drafting top 5 too.

This idea the extra 1st makes a trade up to get the best or 2nd best QB a slam dunk is wishful at best.

Don't forget the Vikes....

Todd Bowles will on the hot seat this coming season. It'll be do or die. So, if they go down, it won't be due to a lack of trying.

Don't think for a minute that if the Browns finish in the bottom 5(which they more than likely will), that they won't draft a franchise QB. Taking Kizer in the 2nd round isn't going to stop them from doing that...unless Kizer pulls a Wilson or Prescott.

It's the way the whole offseason played out and the silly explanations today.

If you dislike Whaley this move should be done in January. Instead we've had some weird and dysfunctional power structure for months seemingly. And then there's added context of issues outside of this situation we've seen too.

What's been so awful about the way the offseason has played out? They fired the coach everyone wanted out, they kept the QB most wanted kept, and they wanted to get through FA and the draft before making the FO changes.

As for the 'silly explanations', I have no tolerance for those who still kick and scream over standard press conference bull sh--, be it from owners, coaches or players.

It does not make it a slam dunk. The Bills lost twice to those Jets last season. Who knows? They have ammo, have to see how the cards fall. There will be three or four QBs that go in the first round next year. Should be good enough to land one of them.

It does not make it a slam dunk. The Bills lost twice to those Jets last season. Who knows? They have ammo, have to see how the cards fall. There will be three or four QBs that go in the first round next year. Should be good enough to land one of them.

EJ won't be playing the Jets again this season.

Just saying your focused on EJ but you dont mention Gillislee Seymour Alexander Watkins Darby Taylor Woods Henderson (7th round pick starter) Miller Karlos Williams ect. Do you like any of them? That doesnt even include another 5-6 guys from the last two drafts that will be starters on this team in the fall. Why are you so consistently focused on the negative?

BBMB Negative Nancy

Assuming this has already been discussed elsewhere in this thread, but this was a rumor for months?

The Buffalo News reports ex-Bills GM Doug Whaley's fate was sealed when the team hired coach Sean McDermott.
Per reporter Vic Carucci, Whaley's firing was "fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment." This had been the rumor for months. It's a little surprising the Bills were willing to go through the public motions for weeks on end, but then again, they're not a good franchise. They're hoping McDermott will change that. May 1 - 2:59 PM

Source: Buffalo News

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9496/doug-whaley