GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wawrow‏Verified account @john_wawrow 10m10 minutes ago

John Wawrow Retweeted YardsPerPass.com

Mcdermott's detail-oriented approach quickly sped up the process on Whaley's future and likely had related impact on #Sabres purge.

Yes Pegulas would be the ones that Purge Sabres because of how their Football Coach is.

#OneBuffalo.

SHouldnt that have been the MO when hiring the new HC? That he would have to get along very well and work together with the GM?

What happens when the new GM, who the Pegulas will love, doesn't sync 100% with McD? Do they fire McD for someone the new GM wants?

How long does this cycle continue? Why wasnt it addressed when Whaley was the incumbent?

I think you are just being argumentative here. Clearly there was enough synergy for Whaley to make the hire. However, maybe once they worked together for many months - Sean thought the Bills could have a better person in that position and he has people in mind. Clearly, he has made an impression on Terry and earned his trust. Sean says they can be better. Terry believes him. The next hire will be someone who has worked with Sean before and will have a great working relationship that extends beyond an interview.

Mcdermott's detail-oriented approach quickly sped up the process on Whaley's future and likely had related impact on #Sabres purge.

Wasn't Greggo also touted as being very detailed oriented with his plan when interviewed? The Pegula's have no idea what they are doing. If McDermott succeeds, it will just be dumb luck on their part.

Before we annoint McDermmot to saint hood. I want to see the team play. Talk is cheap, can he outcoach Belichek? Make adjustments during the game? I see so many posters who praise him for his discipline, remember Gregg williams and Doug Marone were considered coaches who stressed discipline. Do I want McD to succeed? Absolutley. But I've heard all this before.

Really interesting. I thought whaley was gone all along so his firing is no surprise to me; I also thought the battle over QB was at the root of the dispute. That appears to be the case. I'm a Taylor supporter, so I'm glad McDermott won. But obviously this is a huge season for TT. With Sammy in effectively a contract year, things are lined up for him pretty well.

I was a big Whaley fan for awhile. He started to lose me when he didn't want to keep Tyrod. Didn't like handling of Gillislee. Let's hope McD knows what he is doing. Most coaches don't make good GMs, too. A few do. Let's hope he's Andy Reed.

Yes entire scouting staff canned too

Matthew Fairburn (@MatthewFairburn)

4/30/17, 8:45 AM

These Buffalo Bills firings do in fact extend to the entire scouting staff.

So who is working the phones with udfas at this point? Overdorf/monos, with the board in the room?

@BuffaloWins

Bills record by GM/rank Whaley: 30-34 (19th rank) Nix: 16-32 (28th rank) Brandon: 13-19 (23rd) Levy: 14-18 (20th) Donahoe: 31-49 (28th)

I think the problem with this is like assigning budget deficits or employment stats to the president in office on that date. For some period of time, each GM is living with the decisions made by his predecessor. Thus Nix's record is likely better, Brandons worse, Whaley's ??

Thats very telling a first year head coachs detail oriented approach was something that was better than something they had witnessed daily from Whaley. Im beginning to really enjoy the start of Mcdermott's career at buffalo. A firt year head coachs detail orientation got a multinyear GMs firing process sped up.

I was a big Whaley fan for awhile.

He started to lose me when he didn't want to keep Tyrod at that price tag

Didn't like handling of Gillislee. That is on McD now

Let's hope McD knows what he is doing. Most coaches don't make good GMs, too. A few do.

Let's hope he's Andy Reed. Were Reid/Belichick/Carrol all given complete control as rookies before they ever coached a down?