GM Doug Whaley has been fired

I am in favor of this not so much because I am a hater of Whaley (somebody was a huge improvement in pro personnel over John Guy) - but I am a huge fan of giving the new regime all the comfort and talent that they wish for !!! Its then all on them - buck stops there !

A new guy like Mcdermott frankly does not have the time to decipher how good whaley and gang are.....but he already does know who is good from his prior experiences - so let him hire those he himself know are good

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good, so still clouding the line of accountability and muddying the structure. Jeez louise, this fracking fool will never learn.

From our side, how this played out is awkward and clunky

Hopefully behind the scenes there were things that make it more logical but I think there's genuine reason to be skeptical about where we stand and what's upcoming potentially

Before we annoint McDermmot to saint hood. I want to see the team play. Talk is cheap, can he outcoach Belichek? Make adjustments during the game? I see so many posters who praise him for his discipline, remember Gregg williams and Doug Marone were considered coaches who stressed discipline. Do I want McD to succeed? Absolutley. But I've heard all this before.

Hell to the Yes this is why I am still Hapless instead of reverting to Hopeful. Wait and see.

That said, I do think it was the right decision to let McWrestler drive. No excuses, it's your car, if you dent it or wreck it don't claim your uncle was actually driving. Whoever was driving, you gave him the keys.

Whaley had a decent eye for finding some talent but also had his share of mistakes and ultimately wasn't able to exert himself enough to take control of the team as good GM's are able to do. Selling yourself to the owner's as the man is indeed part of the job, I'm not sure why this fact is lost upon many of you. It's clear that most people haven't worked in an organization in an upper management capacity. A large part of being successful is being able to influence the decision makers to elevate yourself towards a level of increased responsibility and you do that by gaining trust.

It's clear to me that Whaley was never able to do that, whereas McD was able to close the deal and gain the trust of Pegs. That's not to say that being able to sell yourself is the determinate in becoming a successful high level executive, but it is without doubt a prerequisite.

McD, has impressed many people in the past and has succeeded all the way up to where he is today, my hopes obviously is that he gets the job done. I'm past all the hand wringing but make no mistake, this is his team and there will be no excuses. It is put up or shut up.

Where did all of the "Whaley isn't going anywhere" guys go?

Everyone is still here You're just like Sullivan....gloat when you're right about something....kinda annoying

Edited by nucci

Thats very telling a first year head coachs detail oriented approach was something that was better than something they had witnessed daily from Whaley. Im beginning to really enjoy the start of Mcdermott's career at buffalo. A firt year head coachs detail orientation got a multinyear GMs firing process sped up.

my thoughts also. if hes got an approach that makes everyone else look like monkeys humping a football then i'm on board.

I am in favor of this not so much because I am a hater of Whaley (somebody was a huge improvement in pro personnel over John Guy) - but I am a huge fan of giving the new regime all the comfort and talent that they wish for !!! Its then all on them - buck stops there !

A new guy like Mcdermott frankly does not have the time to decipher how good whaley and gang are.....but he already does know who is good from his prior experiences - so let him hire those he himself know are good

And yet, the person most responsible for McShifty being the HC is the one who was fired which begs the question...if the hirer wasn't good enough what are the chances that the hiree is? Ironic.

Edited by Cripple Creek

John WawrowVerified account @john_wawrow 10m10 minutes ago

John Wawrow Retweeted YardsPerPass.com

Mcdermott's detail-oriented approach quickly sped up the process on Whaley's future and likely had related impact on #Sabres purge.

"Quickly sped up the process" I have no idea what this actually means. Whoever has the secret decoder ring today can you plainspeak this one?