GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug, farewell. you didn't do a bad job actually as per my analysis. But you didn't win the people over in this area. they didn't like you. It might be lack of media relations. It might be expectations management. This impacted how they viewed you. And how they looked at the franchise. And a new GM was a cheaper way for the franchise to fix that than wait for you to repair the relationship. So farewell Doug.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193447-nfl-draft-performance-analysis-for-2012-2016/

Pegulas, you're going to need a media-savvy GM. One who can communicate well with the fossils at Buffalo News and the table stompin rednecks who makes your stadium so entertaining, but also the national media and the newage social media. To be frank, McDermott does not seem to be that savvy with the media either. Spend some money, bring a savant. Or at least one who is great at talking his way around his mistakes. Because everyone makes a few.

Before we annoint McDermmot to saint hood. I want to see the team play. Talk is cheap, can he outcoach Belichek? Make adjustments during the game? I see so many posters who praise him for his discipline, remember Gregg williams and Doug Marone were considered coaches who stressed discipline. Do I want McD to succeed? Absolutley. But I've heard all this before.

If your basing Mcdermotts success on his ability to outcoach BB, you are going to be disappointed, as not many coaches do it, and the ones that are able to outcoach him cant do it with any regularity.

Doug, farewell. you didn't do a bad job actually as per my analysis. But you didn't win the people over in this area. they didn't like you. It might be lack of media relations. It might be expectations management. This impacted how they viewed you. And how they looked at the franchise. And a new GM was a cheaper way for the franchise to fix that than wait for you to repair the relationship. So farewell Doug.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193447-nfl-draft-performance-analysis-for-2012-2016/

Pegulas, you're going to need a media-savvy GM. One who can communicate well with the fossils at Buffalo News and the table stompin rednecks who makes your stadium so entertaining, but also the national media and the newage social media. To be frank, McDermott does not seem to be that savvy with the media either. Spend some money, bring a savant. Or at least one who is great at talking his way around his mistakes. Because everyone makes a few.

It wasn't about media relations. It was about lousy decisions.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

My understanding is #Bills owner Terry Pegula will decide if the new GM has final say as he goes thru search. Could dictate who gets blocked

Oh good, so still clouding the line of accountability and muddying the structure. Jeez louise, this fracking fool will never learn.

Clearly there was enough synergy for Whaley to make the hire. However, maybe once they worked together for many months - Sean thought the Bills could have a better person in that position and he has people in mind. Clearly, he has made an impression on Terry and earned his trust. Sean says they can be better. Terry believes him. The next hire will be someone who has worked with Sean before and will have a great working relationship that extends beyond an interview.

I think these are valid points.

The "best case" scenario is that once he got on board, McDermott dug into all of the decision-making behind every player and contract decision on the roster and off and brought his case to Pegula for improving.

The "worst case" scenario IMO would be that Whaley was really a "dead man walking" after this fall, in which case IMO the better path would have been to hire a GM and let the new GM participate in the coach hiring process.

But it is what it is, and we'll see.

LIKE I WAS SAYING!!!!!

No one listens, and everyone thinks they know everything.

Maybe you missed.

ONLY CAN BLOCK if GM doesnt have traditional duties like Roster control

So if Beane or anyone cant get blocked if they have Roster Control.

Edited by MAJBobby

The Bills franchise is dis-functional at best since Terry & Kim took over. They change coaches and GM's with the Bills & Sabres like I change my underware. I am emarrased to say I'm a Bills fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Who in the right mind would want to work for Terry & Kim at this point. Not very good optics in my opinion.

You change your underwear once every two years? No wonder you are cranky.

reading the carolina panthers forum they prove to be the stupidest fans in the nfl.

paraphrasing. "they took our picks, now want our assistant gm - 'Carolina Bills"

i love that ****. who's bill polian, pete metzalaars, don beebe, AND their first starting qb in franchise history Frank Reich?

idiots.